Woody ~ ~ ~

kelly

Jets owner Woody Johnson on Wednesday said Gang Green isn't in rebuilding mode this year and he's "optimistic" about the Jets' chances to play in Super Bowl VLIII in New York in February.

But, despite all of that optimism, the team owner stopped short of making a commitment to Rex Ryan beyond this season.

ny_a_johnson01jr_200.jpg
Woody Johnson didn't want to talk about Rex Ryan's job security past this season.

"We never, we're not going to comment on that," Johnson, speaking at an event to promote Super Bowl XLVIII, said when asked if Ryan will coach the Jets next season.

Ryan is under contract through the 2014 season. But the Jets will likely either extend his contract or fire him after this season to avoid having a 'lame-duck' coach in 2014.

"I think Rex is a great teacher," Johnson said. "I've been to a number of his classes. He's a great teacher, he's a great motivator. He's an excellent head coach in my opinion. And I'm lucky, I think we're lucky to have him."

Many are predicting that the Jets will struggle this season. ESPN.com ranked them dead last in their Power Rankings for Week 1.

Johnson believes his team can surprise people, based on those expectations.

"I'm an optimistic person. You know, it's going to take a lot of perseverance and dedication and good training and all those things we have in place," Johnson said. "So we will give it everything we've got and we'll see on the field. You'll see the first game 1 o'clock on Sunday."

Johnson added that it would be "terrific" if the Jets made it to the Super Bowl. They last one the NFL title nearly 45 years ago in Super Bowl III.

"That's what we're doing this for. You want to go to the Super Bowl and win the Super Bowl. That's why all 32 owners are in this game," he said.

Johnson also defended Ryan's decision to attend the Clemson University football game on Saturday to watch his son play, rather than being with the team on cut-down day.

"I would have gone, too. He'd done all of his work. ... He was available by phone if we needed him. He'd made all the calls to the players who we were interested in getting," Johnson said.

He's a great teacher, he's a great motivator. He's an excellent head coach in my opinion. And I'm lucky, I think we're lucky to have him.

-- Woody Johnson, on Rex Ryan

The owner said Ryan "regretted that his dad, [buddy Ryan], never came to any of his games so he wasn't about to make that same mistake, particularly on a day that didn't really make any difference."

Johnson added that he didn't have any regrets over Ryan's decision to play Mark Sanchez in the fourth quarter of the team's game against the Giants in Week 3 of the preseason. Sanchez hurt his shoulder and is not available for the Jets' opener against Tampa, sources told ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini.

"That was a decision that was made. I don't have any regrets. He's an experienced guy. I wished he hadn't gotten hurt, but you've got to protect yourself too," Johnson said.

The Jets on Wednesday named Geno Smith the opening-day starter at quarterback.

Regarding speculation over Ryan's future, Johnson said the team is "all in" for this season but declined to comment beyond that.

"[The media is] speculating. I'm not speculating. We don't talk about any of that," Johnson said. "We're all in right now as a team. The team is put together. So there's no speculation."

Johnson was on hand to help deliver the Vince Lombardi trophy to the "Huddle Shuttle" -- a vehicle that will tour the Tri-State area with the trophy and other elements of the Super Bowl.

"It's a way to get [the trophy and the Super Bowl exposure] because the stadium itself only holds 83,000 people. So it's a way for everyone to get a feel for the excitement directly," Johnson said.

WOODY COMPLIMENTARY OF TEBOW: The Tim Tebow experiment didn't work well for Johnson and the Jets. The coaching staff never found an effective way to use Tebow and released him in the offseason. The Patriots picked Tebow up but released him earlier this week. Johnson still holds out hope that he can be successful in the NFL."All I can say is that there's no finer person than Tim Tebow, from the experience I had with him. So I wish him the best and I hope that, you know, his dream, the dream that he has for himself is fulfilled," Johnson said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/26410/woody-on-super-bowl-rexs-job-security

Mr. Lucky Spem Club Member should do us all a favor and sell the team.

Bellicheat didn't want to work for him.

Neither did Parcells.

he's hired defenive coach after defensive coach in a league where offense is king.

He's overly impressed by BSers like Edwards and Wrecks.

GM candidates were begging off because he wanted to keep Wrecks.

He's effed fans and his bottom line with PSLs.

THE ONLY THING I EVER WANT TO HEAR FORM LESS NESSMAN'S MOUTH EVER AGAIN IS HE IS SELLING THE TEAM.

OTHERWISE,

SHUT THE F___ UP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAgRBq2jnz4

Jets owner Woody Johnson on Wednesday said Gang Green isn't in rebuilding mode this year and he's "optimistic" about the Jets' chances to play in Super Bowl VLIII in New York in February.

This just in... Woody says I am a lock for the next Power Ball drawing.  See you suckers later.

Oh, good Lord.

But...Jets tickets are a GREAT VALUE! PSLs for EVERYONE! Let's get a ....drumline!  COME SEE THE WORST OFFENSE IN THE NFL! PARK MILES AWAY! GET TREATED LIKE A CAST MEMBER ON "OZ" OR "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK" ON ENTRY. GET HIT OFF THE CASH REGISTER REPEATEDLY FOR THE PRIVILEGE!

There has never been any team doing so much to piss off it's loyal fan base. This could be a biz school seminar on how to run down a business.

But...Jets tickets are a GREAT VALUE! PSLs for EVERYONE! Let's get a ....drumline!  COME SEE THE WORST OFFENSE IN THE NFL! PARK MILES AWAY! GET TREATED LIKE A CAST MEMBER ON "OZ" OR "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK" ON ENTRY. GET HIT OFF THE CASH REGISTER REPEATEDLY FOR THE PRIVILEGE!

There has never been any team doing so much to piss off it's loyal fan base. This could be a biz school seminar on how to run down a business.

Yup. There was no need for the new stadium, the old one was more than fine. The PSL's were a kick in the dick. Woody is a horrible, horrible owner.

Woody Johnson is tool douche + zillion

You have no F'n offense

You have a rookie QB, who is going with 1 running back that was third string in New Orleans, another that was second string here and a third who last we heard was puking his guts up on I-80 with guns and weed in the car.

Your TE is coming off Knee surgery and missed most of the season.

Your best receiver is coming of foot surgery and is the ultimate diva liable to take a hike and leave at any time. Another receiver who can't catch, and a third (Kerley) who is actually decent.

Your OL is not what is was a even two years ago.

And we should be optimistic ? Where are our safeties ? You traded the best CB in football,

Optimistic ? Really ?

I mean this team is 1995 bad looking right now. How the hell is this team with this offense going to score ?

F You Woody

@sshole

Neither did Parcells.

he's hired defenive coach after defensive coach in a league where offense is king.

THE ONLY THING I EVER WANT TO HEAR FORM LESS NESSMAN'S MOUTH EVER AGAIN IS HE IS SELLING THE TEAM.

OTHERWISE,

SHUT THE F___ UP.

He forever lost me at West Side Stadium. 

Woody out bid the Dolan's for the team. Lucky us.

We would have been screwed either way except Dolan probably would have been able to move the team to NYC as his NY connections are much stronger. (And then of course he would have hired the football equivilant of Isiah Thomas as GM)

Neither did Parcells.

OTHERWISE,

SHUT THE F___ UP.

Which is why I termed him the Turnip. He even LOOKS the part. Only thing this douch bag cares about is winning the OFF SEASON back pages. He grew up a picked on rich nerd, now he is a rich nerd with an NFL franchise and he LIKES his name in the papers with idiotic quotes like "Can never get enough Tebow." and channeling his inner Superman (as if) with "Truth, justice and the American way." What a blowhard.

Woody is a complete ass clown. Every time he speaks I am reminded of a saying:

It is better to keep quiet and have people think you are dumb, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I totally agree he's an embarrassment to the organization. I just saw the interview. Who remembers draft day when he welcomed somebody to the "big apple" ?

What a d*ick!

I am hoping for a total collapse cause this way woody will make a big play for gruden or cowher to fix this team let them pick the gm

Also the other problem is Neil glatt he's to involved in the football side

I understand an NFL team has a business side. But we really don't need to know who Neal Glatt is. We do know the Jets didn't have to advertise to sell any tickets-until now. That is failure.

NY Jets ownership is bad the owner doesn't care about winning he only cares about PSL $$$$ thats it. The owner should of gotten rid of Rex Ryan with Mike Tannenbaum after last seasons debacle but no he was stubborn & only replaced the general manager. I know as a jets fan this team is going to be a J-O-K-E this season. I hope the Jets get a new head coach that doesn't just coach one side of the football. The Rex Ryan era has turned into an Error thats for sure. The Jets should Hire Bill Cowher or John Gruden as head coach both have won super bowls as head coach & both would make better decisions then Fatso Rex Ryan.

Neither did Parcells.

OTHERWISE,

SHUT THE F___ UP.

Not to mention that he failed on his first promise that he made to us Jets fans when he wasn't able to get the New York Jets their OWN stadium, like he promised us that he would. From there it's just been one failure after another. He has managed to turn the Jets , a sports franchise in the media capital of the world into a triple A operation-no other team in that city has had to do it like the Jets, no not even the Giants. He hired Herm a guy who said in the midst of a 12 loss season that the only thing they were concerned with was getting Curtis Martin a record setting season over a thousand yards, essentially giving the opponents our playbook. It's not big surprise then when we heard Woody Johnson tell us and the whole world that the only thing that he was most concerned with was getting Mitt Romney elected president last year. Only the Jets baby, only them...and 'they' are NOT "us" guys....

How?  IMO Hess was much worse.

Hess it is true let the team drift too much at times, but he did eventually hire a football guy to run things, and did not inject himself in the running of the team.  I concede Hess was too hands off.  But Woody doesn't know anything about football.  He's never achieved anything in his life.  Hess at least knew how to run a company.

How was Hess much worse?  I can't imagine coming up with a coherent answer to that question...

Not to mention that he failed on his first promise that he made to us Jets fans when he wasn't able to get the New York Jets their OWN stadium, like he promised us that he would. From there it's just been one failure after another. He has managed to turn the Jets , a sports franchise in the media capital of the world into a triple A operation-no other team in that city has had to do it like the Jets, no not even the Giants. He hired Herm a guy who said in the midst of a 12 loss season that the only thing they were concerned with was getting Curtis Martin a record setting season over a thousand yards, essentially giving the opponents our playbook. It's not big surprise then when we heard Woody Johnson tell us and the whole world that the only thing that he was most concerned with was getting Mitt Romney elected president last year. Only the Jets baby, only them...and 'they' are NOT "us" guys....

I know not all Jet fans were down on the WSS, but I thought it was a big mistake.  Putting that aside, it is clear Woody bought the team as a real estate play.  It was his only real focus when he took over ownership.  He wanted to help his buddy Bloomberg bring the Olympics to NY, which building the WSS would have been a huge and necessary part of.

Once as was no surprise the WSS did not happen, he had no plan B other than going in with the Giants.  I think he should have been focused on getting a Jet stadium where he reasonably could, and not focus only on the WSS option.  A very suitable alternative would have been taking over Yonkers Raceway and putting a Jet stadium there.  But that was only one alternative.

Since the deal with the Giants, and the move to Florham Park, unfortunately Woody has switched from his focus on real estate to intermittent involvement in football operations.  Every time he gets involved he screws things up.  Why be surprised?  He's never achieved anything in his life.

The sad part about it all is this; The New York Jets will never win another Super Bowl in my lifetime, I'm lucky to have seen the 1 time we did win it, but that will be it. Maybe after Woody is gone (either dead or the family sells the team after he dies) there may be a chance but...these ARE the Jets and the next guy will probably be even worse than the past 2 owners 

I know not all Jet fans were down on the WSS, but I thought it was a big mistake. Putting that aside, it is clear Woody bought the team as a real estate play. It was his only real focus when he took over ownership. He wanted to help his buddy Bloomberg bring the Olympics to NY, which building the WSS would have been a huge and necessary part of.

Once as was no surprise the WSS did not happen, he had no plan B other than going in with the Giants. I think he should have been focused on getting a Jet stadium where he reasonably could, and not focus only on the WSS option. A very suitable alternative would have been taking over Yonkers Raceway and putting a Jet stadium there. But that was only one alternative.

Since the deal with the Giants, and the move to Florham Park, unfortunately Woody has switched from his focus on real estate to intermittent involvement in football operations. Every time he gets involved he screws things up. Why be surprised? He's never achieved anything in his life.

POTW

Woody out bid the Dolan's for the team. Lucky us.

We would have been screwed either way except Dolan probably would have been able to move the team to NYC as his NY connections are much stronger. (And then of course he would have hired the football equivilant of Isiah Thomas as GM)

No he wouldn't have. He'd have hired the actual Isaiah Thomas.

Archived