If this is how our Front 7 can perform without Coples....

Jetsfan80

I think mcintyre and barnes roughly equals what coples can do on his own, but having that extra athleticism in coples and the rotation with the other guys is certainly going to help. You just miss his ability on every down as there's no way Garrett can provide that pass rush, but he does a very good job setting the edge. I'm with you, I cannot wait to see that line together.

If we can average 25 points per game this could seriously be considered. Problem is, the AFCCG contender will be either the Broncos, Patriots or Texans...with any one of those teams being able to put up 30+ points no matter the defense. I think our front 7 with the addition of Damario, Barnes, Sheldon and Coples as a OLB will be significantly better, however I think we are going to miss Revis because if what Vincent Jackson did today is any indication of what to expect from our Corners then we're going to have major problems with teams like the Broncos, Pats and Texans. Milliner has not impressed me whatsoever. 

If we can average 25 points per game this could seriously be considered. Problem is, the AFCCG contender will be either the Broncos, Patriots or Texans...with any one of those teams being able to put up 30+ points no matter the defense. I think our front 7 with the addition of Damario, Barnes, Sheldon and Coples as a OLB will be significantly better, however I think we are going to miss Revis because if what Vincent Jackson did today is any indication of what to expect from our Corners then we're going to have major problems with teams like the Broncos, Pats and Texans. Milliner has not impressed me whatsoever

I agree but it was his rookie game, just needs to turn his head around more (which draws the obvious comparison to Wilson). But he can only get better, right?

If we can average 25 points per game this could seriously be considered. Problem is, the AFCCG contender will be either the Broncos, Patriots or Texans...with any one of those teams being able to put up 30+ points no matter the defense. I think our front 7 with the addition of Damario, Barnes, Sheldon and Coples as a OLB will be significantly better, however I think we are going to miss Revis because if what Vincent Jackson did today is any indication of what to expect from our Corners then we're going to have major problems with teams like the Broncos, Pats and Texans. Milliner has not impressed me whatsoever. 

Dee's mom wasn't impressed by Dee's performance. V. Jackson is the real deal, I don't think too many receivers are going to be outclassing him, as far as when they face us.

I agree but it was his rookie game, just needs to turn his head around more (which draws the obvious comparison to Wilson). But he can only get better, right?

I understand you but we've been saying that "Wilson just needs to turn his head around" for the past what, 4-5 years now??? Im not getting down on Milliner, what im saying is that he's our #2 CB. Teams in the preseason just like the Bucs today decided to "pick" on Milliner when it came to throwing in the endzone for points. If we're talking about Rookies here, then I agree with you. If we're talking about the Superbowl, then we need to state it for what it is...and that is Milliner has been unimpressive and rather quiet. 

He was limited in preseason and only has 1 pro game under his belt.  He didn't get embarrassed today by any means (like, say, Kyle Wilson did against the Ravens in '10).  I'm not worried there.

Why are people on the defensive? Im not calling Milliner out. Yes, he's a rookie and I expect this. However, you're talking "SUPERBOWL". And in those type of conversations Milliner from what little he has displayed has shown to be a liability. Im not down on him, Im just saying that we're going to really miss Revis this year if we're really thinking Superbowl. 

Why are people on the defensive? Im not calling Milliner out. Yes, he's a rookie and I expect this. However, you're talking "SUPERBOWL". And in those type of conversations Milliner from what little he has displayed has shown to be a liability. Im not down on him, Im just saying that we're going to really miss Revis this year if we're really thinking Superbowl. 

I was being somewhat facetious.  There's no rational argument to be made that we can seriously contend.  But being a fan isn't always about being rational, otherwise I never would have become a Jets fan in the first place.

I'm not that worried about not having Revis.  Cro is awesome and even with Revis at his best his impact was limited by the simple virtue of him being a cornerback.  Disruptive linemen tend to be MUCH more important to defenses these days, and we have a lot of those.

I understand you but we've been saying that "Wilson just needs to turn his head around" for the past what, 4-5 years now??? Im not getting down on Milliner, what im saying is that he's our #2 CB. Teams in the preseason just like the Bucs today decided to "pick" on Milliner when it came to throwing in the endzone for points. If we're talking about Rookies here, then I agree with you. If we're talking about the Superbowl, then we need to state it for what it is...and that is Milliner has been unimpressive and rather quiet. 

Yes, but when Wilson came into the league he had a bunch of issues aside from not turning around. The way i'm seeing it, all Dee needs is to fix is not turning around, he doesn't draw stupid pass interference penalties like rookie Wilson did, he is where Wilson is, minus the 4-5 years of NFL experience and 4-5 of trying to correct it.

I was being somewhat facetious.  There's no rational argument to be made that we can seriously contend.  But being a fan isn't always about being rational, otherwise I never would have become a Jets fan in the first place.

I'm not that worried about not having Revis.  Cro is awesome and even with Revis at his best his impact was limited by the simple virtue of him being a cornerback.  Disruptive linemen tend to be MUCH more important to defenses these days, and we have a lot of those.

Im not too worried about not having Revis especially after seeing what the front 7 could do with Coples being absent at that (especially the front 4) so I totally agree with you there. I guess what im saying is....Sheldon Richardson has shown flashes of what his capabilities are. Milliner has had one very good pass deflection against the Jags in the preseason. Outside of that I havent seen anything from Milliner that Made me feel like this guy is flashing. Im not saying "bust", im just saying that he's quiet. 

I too thought Milliner was fine after the TD. Cromartie was bound to decline a bit but I expect he'll be fine overall for the season. Landry played better than I thought he would, forgetting that he is a Landry.

Sheldon Richardson flashed once, Wilkerson could be lined up anywhere. Harrison looks like a real find. Ellis flashed once. Very very excited about that DL...

Yes, but when Wilson came into the league he had a bunch of issues aside from not turning around. The way i'm seeing it, all Dee needs is to fix is not turning around, he doesn't draw stupid pass interference penalties like rookie Wilson did, he is where Wilson is, minus the 4-5 years of NFL experience and 4-5 of trying to correct it.

I cant disagree with you, but like I said, he's quiet and right now I dont think anyone is in position to say if Milliner is better than or not better than Wilson at the moment because Milliner hasnt shown anything really. Atleast we know what Wilson can be productive at and that is the slot and at times safety. Milliner can be a total bust or the second Island the jets have had. 

Cro actually concerns me somewhat ..always play such loose coverage ..as far as Millner, I thought he played well besides that touchdown.

Which I never understood. Cro, for his physique doesnt jam WR's on the line at all. I never understood that. He has make up speed, so its not like he gets beat badly, but it seems like 95% of the time a WR can come off the line of scrimmage uncontested. 

I cant disagree with you, but like I said, he's quiet and right now I dont think anyone is in position to say if Milliner is better than or not better than Wilson at the moment because Milliner hasnt shown anything really. Atleast we know what Wilson can be productive at and that is the slot and at times safety. Milliner can be a total bust or the second Island the jets have had. 

Yep.  At least we know he was the top-rated corner in the draft and that his ceiling is pretty freaking high.  Couldn't really say that about Wilson when he came into the league.  All we can do is wait and see.

I really wish we could trade Sanchez, and Holmes for Revis right now, and salary wise we would have a couple $$$ to spare!

Yep.  At least we know he was the top-rated corner in the draft and that his ceiling is pretty freaking high.  Couldn't really say that about Wilson when he came into the league.  All we can do is wait and see.

All that needs to be said, it's week one and he missed virtually the entire preseason, he can only go up.

I cant agree with you there buddy. I remember that there were quite a few people who thought Kyle Wilson coming out of Boise was better than Joe Haden coming out of florida, especially with Hadens lack luster performance at the combine. I definitely remember that. Wilson came out of college with high expectations. 

I cant agree with you there buddy. I remember that there were quite a few people who thought Kyle Wilson coming out of Boise was better than Joe Haden coming out of florida, especially with Hadens lack luster performance at the combine. I definitely remember that. Wilson came out of college with high expectations. 

Haden's criticism's were stupid, and everyone is realizing that now.  Don't think that had much do with Wilson's relative abilities.  Obviously the fact that Haden was drafted top 10 and Wilson lasted to the back end of the 1st speaks to that more than the scouting reports.

I'm not completely sure that it is rational, but I'm not as worried about Milliner getting his hear around as Wilson.  Milliner just seems more smooth.  Wilson stays close to the WR, but often seems to be in some sort of frantic chase mode.  At that point I'm not sure he is capable of turning his head.  Milliner seemed to be properly shadowing the receiver give or take a misstep here or there and just not getting it around fast enough. 

Haden's criticism's were stupid, and everyone is realizing that now.  Don't think that had much do with Wilson's relative abilities.  Obviously the fact that Haden was drafted top 10 and Wilson lasted to the back end of the 1st speaks to that more than the scouting reports.

See what I did there? Realizing that now isnt the same as the sentiment back then. Wilson coming out of college had high expectations. Im not that the sentiment was correct back then, obviously it wasnt. What im saying is that Kyle Wilson, even from what I saw from him coming out of College being coached by the likes of Rex and Pettine has been a disappointment my dude. 

The difference between Milliner "not turning his head" and Wilson doing it is that you can see Milliner actually playing the eyes of the receiver and making a play, Wilson more often than not tends to run into the receiver or not make a play on the ball. You can not turn your head and still make a play on the ball, something milliner did and wilson has not yet grasped.

Archived