Marty Mornhinweg through 2 games

nj meadowlands

I generally like the plays that this guy has drawn up.  A lot of crisp, well designed plays that have created holes for the backs and receivers to get open.  I especially like the rolling pocket plays with Geno, and I can't believe that the Jets are actually running some successful screen plays.

That being said, the very simple RUN/PASS selection last night was horrendous.  Very predictable.  Pass / Run / Pass all night long, and on drives where Ivory was absolutely gutting the interior of the Pats D.  When our run game is actually working, we need to exploit it.  No excuse for 1st and 10 on the Pats 35 and going spread/no WRs.  And following up an incompletion with a 2nd down handoff to T-Bo.  (WTF?)

Generally though, I like Marty so far.

I can't subscribe to the "jets need to run more" theory. After years of too much running they can't fall back into old habits. Let Marty run a modern offense, and that includes passing on 2nd and 10. If Geno throws an INT it doesn't mean it was a bad play call. This league, the way the rules are, they should be passing as much as possible. Especially trying to come from behind. Since they seem to have stowed the wildcat, I have no fault in the play calls last night.

I do hope Marty adjusts accordingly and adds more balance to the offense.  Ivory is a beast that needs to be unleashed on the league.  I know we want to see what Geno can do; however, there's no reason to think we cannot win some games while Geno and our many other young players develop.

I think Geno could be VERY dangerous on play-action as well.

I can't subscribe to the "jets need to run more" theory. After years of too much running they can't fall back into old habits. Let Marty run a modern offense, and that includes passing on 2nd and 10. If Geno throws an INT it doesn't mean it was a bad play call. This league, the way the rules are, they should be passing as much as possible. Especially trying to come from behind. Since they seem to have stowed the wildcat, I have no fault in the play calls last night.

I agree with the premise. But Ivory is the only guy until Kerley gets back who can make plays on his own....we need to get him the ball.

With a rookie QB if your running game is getting 3.5 to 5 yards per carry run it until they stop it. Running in the rain and running the clock would of been a bad thing last night?

With a rookie QB if your running game is getting 3.5 to 5 yards per carry run it until they stop it. Running in the rain and running the clock would of been a bad thing last night?

can't run the clock out without the lead. They needed points and the way to score points in this league is to pass.

I do not think MM is in full swing yet.  Looks like he is still feeling things out.  The biggest problem so far is a serious lack of rhythm -- hopefully that comes around soon.

Having only 4 days to prepare for New England didn't help.  Next week should see a lot of improvement.

can't run the clock out without the lead. They needed points and the way to score points in this league is to pass.

Understood. The Jets were running the ball great and MM just abandoned it. The NE D line teed off knowing they did not have to worry about the run.

I could not disagree more.  The Jets were goring the Pats on the run and the run would still have been effective in a low scoring game.  They could have moved methodically down the field, chewed up some clock,kept Brady off the field and set up the play action.  A touchdown gives them the lead.  The team became too one dimensional.  I like the look of the offense, but at a certain point last night called for a heaping helping of Ivory, particularly when Geno just would not throw the effin ball.  Marty did Geno no favors last night.   

Having only 4 days to prepare for New England didn't help.  Next week should see a lot of improvement.

Yep.  He is keeping it simple and, hopefully, figuring out what he really has to work with through trial and error.  I expect the offense to steadily improve as the season goes on. Big difference between the talent and experience here compared to Philly.

There are a lot of people who who do not seem to grasp that the "establishing the run" thing is no longer applicable. The NFL has fundamentally changed since it was standard. Further running up the gut at WIlfork is foolishness. The Jets lost because their receivers dropped balls. It's a passing league.

Bitonti you are forgetting 2 things (3 if you consider we were already deep in Patriot territory on the drive I referenced)

1) It was POURING

2) we were GASHING them on the ground

we need more balance

While that's true, usually a lot of OCs like to pass when it's raining, because it automatically favors the receivers who know the route they will be running, compared to the DBs who have to react.  Of all the interviews I've heard with OCs, QBs etc. after rainy games, they say that it always favors the receivers and the defensive backs are usually in a bad position.  I get wanting to run with ivory, i was calling for it all game, but I think he may have been sat down after he coughed the ball up in the 2nd quarter.  Coaches find it hard to give the ball back to someone like that especially when the game is so close.

I generally like the plays that this guy has drawn up.  A lot of crisp, well designed plays that have created holes for the backs and receivers to get open.  I especially like the rolling pocket plays with Geno, and I can't believe that the Jets are actually running some successful screen plays.

That being said, the very simple RUN/PASS selection last night was horrendous.  Very predictable.  Pass / Run / Pass all night long, and on drives where Ivory was absolutely gutting the interior of the Pats D.  When our run game is actually working, we need to exploit it.  No excuse for 1st and 10 on the Pats 35 and going spread/no WRs.  And following up an incompletion with a 2nd down handoff to T-Bo.  (WTF?)

I would not mind the call---if MM had some decent wideouts.   I think he knows exactly what he has right now in this team and in Geno and is doing his best to turn it into wins.

If the WRs hold onto the ball last night, then we are lauding him as our best OC ever.

Gates not catching anything, especially the TD. Hill drops, fumble. Spadola drop. All would have changed the game big time.

all the more reason to run the damn ball.  I cant agree with Bit on the fact that we were down.  We were down by 3 most of the 2nd half.  They couldnt stop our run.  You have to force them to stop the run, then you pass. I understand that MM prefers the pass BUT when your passing game fails most of the night with drops in the rain, you go to your running game.  It was there, he just chose to try to air it out and was let down by his WRs not catching the ball.  I am plenty happy with his play designs but you also have to play to your personnel as well.  You ahve 2 backs taht are having success and a group of WRs struggling, go with your backs and run it down the pats defense's throats.  That is all....

Even with a rookie QB and below avg receiving corp? Nada, run, run and run until the Pats can stop it.

Yep. The Jets have shown more competence that anyone wants to admit anyway.

I don't get this place. The Jets are supposed to suck according to former perts and their sheep. Everyone is playing and coaching for their future and their jobs. Why should playing conservative ball WHILE LOSING be an appealing option to anyone? Why would you want that while they're losing a game in the first place? Plus they were running the ball until Ivory fumbled anyway. 

I don't get this place. The Jets are supposed to suck according to former perts and their sheep. Everyone is playing and coaching for their future and their jobs. Why should playing conservative ball WHILE LOSING be an appealing option to anyone? Why would you want that while they're losing a game in the first place? Plus they were running the ball until Ivory fumbled anyway. 

2 reasons.

1. we were only down 3 pts in the 4th qtr and most of the 3rd?  It is not like we were down 14 in the 4th.

2. chew up the clock to leave less time for TB.  That is FB101.  Keep TB off the field and let him chew out his WR some more.  That isht was funny as hell!!!

Why should playing conservative ball WHILE LOSING be an appealing option to anyone? Why would you want that while they're losing a game in the first place? Plus they were running the ball until Ivory fumbled anyway. 

amen brother. This team was playing with house money there's no reason to G&P in that situation. It's mmqb'ing at it's worst.

amen brother. This team was playing with house money there's no reason to G&P in that situation. It's mmqb'ing at it's worst.

BIT!!!!  how can you keep saying this.  You are down by 3 whole pts!!! you passing game is a complete sh!t show!!!  your running game is working!!! The clock was not against us at any point up to the last drive!

How many interceptions did Smith throw in the 4th quarter again? Abandoning the run hurt Smith.

You still living in Philly? If you were when MM was the OC for the Eagles they ran a flag football offense throwing the ball 60 x's and ignoring one of the best rb's in the league.

BIT!!!!  how can you keep saying this.  You are down by 3 whole pts!!! you passing game is a complete sh!t show!!!  your running game is working!!! The clock was not against us at any point up to the last drive!

What about the fact that Ivory just fumbled? none of you guys even recognize that fact. besides you can't run it down their throats if they know it's coming. the pass sets up the run in this offense. 

You still living in Philly? If you were when MM was the OC for the Eagles they ran a flag football offense throwing the ball 60 x's and ignoring one of the best rb's in the league.

it depends how you define ignore. they didn't run alot but they threw screens etc. this offense with Marty isn't perfect but it's world's better than Sparano's crapshow. Probably better than Schotty too.  in 2006 marty morn took over the playcalling and took them to the playoffs with Garcia. I don't think there is such a thing as too much passing in this league with the rules the way they are. Peyton Manning threw 7 TD's on opening night, that's what this league is become. G&P is dead.

How many interceptions did Smith throw in the 4th quarter again? Abandoning the run hurt Smith.

maybe Smith hurt Smith. If Mark threw the same INTs you'd all be going crazy. Geno throws these ugly ints and we wonder about the run game. Don't apologize for the kid he played good for a while and then he played like crap. If there were 6 quarters he would have thrown 10 interceptions. 

What about the fact that Ivory just fumbled? none of you guys even recognize that fact. besides you can't run it down their throats if they know it's coming. the pass sets up the run in this offense. 

it depends how you define ignore. they didn't run alot but they threw screens etc. this offense with Marty isn't perfect but it's world's better than Sparano's crapshow. Probably better than Schotty too.  in 2006 marty morn took over the playcalling and took them to the playoffs with Garcia. I don't think there is such a thing as too much passing in this league with the rules the way they are. Peyton Manning threw 7 TD's on opening night, that's what this league is become. G&P is dead.

And what about the fact that Smith just got picked(more than once).  Also, we have Powell.  What about the fact that our WRs couldnt catch a cold.  As far as running it down their throats when they knew it was coming, I would have like to see them stop the run before we decide that they could stop the run.  My $0.02.

I don't know.  So far I see the same Rex Ryan jets team, regardless of OC or QB or players.    They've scored 28 points in two games.  That's 14 points a game.  

You don't win in the NFL often scoring 14 points a game.   So while it's a new offense and QB,  we are seeing the same results.    I hope they improve as the season goes on, but who knows, so far I"m not all that impressed with this offense.   The WR suck.  The RBs are guys who can't start on any other team.  And the QB is a rookie who just had a 3 INT game.   

I was a little pissed he didn't run it more last night

but

I think he is calling the game for geno like a big boy in the NFL to accelrate his learning curve

and

is the wild cat dead ?  I don't remember seeing it last night

and

no more read option please, lol

maybe Smith hurt Smith. If Mark threw the same INTs you'd all be going crazy. Geno throws these ugly ints and we wonder about the run game. Don't apologize for the kid he played good for a while and then he played like crap. If there were 6 quarters he would have thrown 10 interceptions.

You go with what is working and play action would of helped if the Pats actually believed the Jets were going to run. I was not a Sanchez basher.

I loved Smith throwing long balls and his demeanor. I just thought the run was actually working and that was a positive that should of been exploited.

You go with what is working and play action would of helped if the Pats actually believed the Jets were going to run. I was not a Sanchez basher.

I loved Smith throwing long balls and his demeanor. I just thought the run was actually working and that was a positive that should of been exploited.

Nothing was really working on offense.  They had one good drive in the first half the resulted in a FG.   

They really had one good drive that resulted in a TD in the second half.  Besides that, there were a bunch of punts and INTs.   

It's nice that the guys were piling up some yards here and there, but in the end, the Jets didn't really do much on offense most of the game, passing or running. 

And for that matter, the Pats didn't do all that much either.  Their best WR caught a bunch of passes that weren't even enough for first downs.  

The goal is to put points on the board.  So if a running back has 100 yards but the team can't score, who cares.  if a running backs has 50 yards, but they do score, who cares. Same goes for a QB.    I mean Tony Romo and Jay Cutler would be sure fire HOFers and Super bowl MVPs  if it were all about big numbers and stats.

What I saw were two running backs who really can't do all that much.  They might rack up some stats here and there, but at the end of the day, they aren't difference makers and nobody is going to give a crap to prepare for them.  So it'll come down to Geno making plays.  If he can't, the Jets offense will continue to struggle. If he improves and the WRs actually catch,  then the RBs will get some better numbers.  There are guys like Peterson who change a game.  And there are guys like Ivory who really aren't starting NFL RBs.

2 reasons.

1. we were only down 3 pts in the 4th qtr and most of the 3rd?  It is not like we were down 14 in the 4th.

2. chew up the clock to leave less time for TB.  That is FB101.  Keep TB off the field and let him chew out his WR some more.  That isht was funny as hell!!!

That's not a reason to run the ball. 

Brady can score quickly if he has to. 

Archived