Cimini: Jets Facing Must-Win?

flgreen

Green Day: Jets facing must-win?

September, 17, 2013

Sep 17

6:00

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

There's no such thing as a must-win in September, but this one comes darn close -- the Jets (1-1) hosting the Bills (1-1) Sunday at MetLife Stadium. The Jets need it, badly, coming off a tough loss to the Patriots.

Aside from the obvious impact on the AFC East standings -- loser owns the basement -- it's huge for the Jets because of the various circumstances surrounding the game. It's a battle of the rookie quarterbacks -- Geno Smith vs. EJ Manuel. The Jets passed twice on Manuel in the draft (ditto, Smith), but they had Smith rated higher on their draft board. Now he gets a chance to validate that faith.

It's also teacher vs. pupil, Rex Ryan facing former Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who holds the same position with the Bills. It would be embarrassing for the Jets if Pettine, using what he learned from Ryan, handles Smith better than his mentor does with Manuel.

Plus, it's a division game. You can't lose division games at home. The Jets have owned the rivalry in recent years, having won six of the last seven (they lost the 2012 season finale), but you get the sense there's a new energy in Buffalo under rookie coach Doug Marrone.

ICYMI: Positive news on the injury front: DE Muhammad Wilkerson (sprained ankle), WR Jeremy Kerley (concussion) and LB Quinton Coples (fractured ankle) were on the practice field Monday, participating to varying degrees. Did the Jets miss Kerley or what? ... Smith is finding out what it's like to be involved in a quarterback controversy. On Monday, he was grilled with questions about his week-to-week status, about Mark Sanchez's claim that he had the competition locked up before his injury and about new rumblings that Matt Simms could be a factor. Hmm, interesting timing on the Simms stuff, wouldn't you say?

I wish the organization would do something about these vulturous "journalists" peppering our young QB's with this ******* BULLsh*t every freaking day. "Hey, do you feel safe in your job"..."Hey, hearing whispers you may not be the starter in week 4"....

What the EFF Idzik, I thought you were gonna bring the hammer in this joint. BALL UP

It's not must win, but it's important. The Jets have a semblance of momentum going and the Bills are a team they should beat. A loss on Sunday means they have to win against the Titans, because then the meat of the schedule hits with Falcons, Steelers, Pats, Bengals and Saints. If they go on a slide, they're going to have a hard time coming out of it with the talent they have.

It's not must win, but it's important. The Jets have a semblance of momentum going and the Bills are a team they should beat. A loss on Sunday means they have to win against the Titans, because then the meat of the schedule hits with Falcons, Steelers, Pats, Bengals and Saints. If they go on a slide, they're going to have a hard time coming out of it with the talent they have.

I know it's early in the year...yes the Buffalo game is important...but I'm not so sure the meat of the schedule is as tough as some of the pundits predicted in the preseason.  Can see us winning more than not if we can just get a small improvement from the offense.  The Falcons and Saints games seem the only games that were heavy dogs.  Just not enough firepower to keep up.  The Titans are improved but dependent on the running game (versus our strength on defense).  The Steelers are terrible.  Pats are in a down year.  Bengals could pose problems but they have many games where the play ugly as well.  Thought they should have put the Steelers away with ease last night.    

the sooner everyone accepts that this is a rebuilding year with a rookie QB the sooner we can get realistic expectations.   

I'm pretty sure everyone in the world had the Jets picking top 3 next season.  Not sure what expectations you're referring to.  Which makes this article even more ridiculous.  The Jets were the worst team ever assembled being led by the worst HC in the NFL before the season started and now they are in a must-win situation in week 3.  lulza.  The F'ing media, man.

I know it's early in the year...yes the Buffalo game is important...but I'm not so sure the meat of the schedule is as tough as some of the pundits predicted in the preseason. Can see us winning more than not if we can just get a small improvement from the offense. The Falcons and Saints games seem the only games that were heavy dogs. Just not enough firepower to keep up. The Titans are improved but dependent on the running game (versus our strength on defense). The Steelers are terrible. Pats are in a down year. Bengals could pose problems but they have many games where the play ugly as well. Thought they should have put the Steelers away with ease last night.

+1

I've been meaning to write this for a while.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the world had the Jets picking top 3 next season. Not sure what expectations you're referring to. Which makes this article even more ridiculous. The Jets were the worst team ever assembled being led by the worst HC in the NFL before the season started and now they are in a must-win situation in week 3. lulza. The F'ing media, man.

...except when Sanchez was injured and Smith came in, a lot of people (including some here) decided to raise their expectations. Hence, the really harsh/blind rage judgements of Smith.

Must win in week 3 when the team is 1-1 after the first 2?

New level of idiocy to even hint that it somehow might be even a little bit.

Exactly, particularly when the team is in a rebuilding year.  The outcome of this game doesn't mean squat.  It's more important that the young guys show progress and play better and better each week.  Wins are gravy this year.  They need to see who is going to help them going forward and develop those guys.  In many ways, it would be better to play very well, but lose the rest of their games so they have ideal draft position to fill their needs at WR, TE, OL, OLB, S and maybe even QB.

I don't know how that moron keeps his job.  I guess it just shows how clueless ESPN is.

IMO it's important only for Rex's future with the team and if Idzik is really concerned about their final W-L record.  IMO it's much more important that they do whatever it takes to continue the development of Geno, Richardson, Milliner, and the other youngsters.

I also don't know that they should beat Buffalo.  Buffalo has a very good defense.  Their DBs are underrated, and their front 7 may be better than ours.  They have better RBs, WRs, TEs and maybe even a better OL and QB.

...except when Sanchez was injured and Smith came in, a lot of people (including some here) decided to raise their expectations. Hence, the really harsh/blind rage judgements of Smith.

Did they raise them?  I never really saw that.  I saw similar expectations if not worse since he was a rookie who really shouldnt be starting.

This is somewhat contradictory to your earlier assessment, which I agreed with, that Geno Smith, Sheldon Richardson, Dee Milliner, Steven Hill, and Quinton Coples are really all that matter this year.

Did they raise them?  I never really saw that.  I saw similar expectations if not worse since he was a rookie who really shouldnt be starting.

I didn't think this team was going to be very good, but I still had them at 4-5 wins, so I think the dire predictions are fewer and farther between than you make them out to be.

Really? That's funny because if I read anything about Geno before the season started it was about how he was the most ill-prepared QB to start an NFL game ever. 

Now the organization must commit to him at all costs and we are in a must win situation in week 3. :scare:

I didn't think this team was going to be very good, but I still had them at 4-5 wins, so I think the dire predictions are fewer and farther between than you make them out to be.

The only people who saw the Jets winning more than 2-4 games, were Jets fans.  And many of Jets fan were predicting similar.  

Point being, for a team who was going to win, like you say, 4-5 games...there is no such thing as a must-win.

Really? That's funny because if I read anything about Geno before the season started it was about how he was the most ill-prepared QB to start an NFL game ever.

Now the organization must commit to him at all costs and we are in a must win situation in week 3. :scare:

the media said that Geno wasn't prepared. I'm telling you, nobody's outraged at the outcome of the NE game if they truly expected the Jets to lose, and the only people calling for Geno to be benched this week seem to be the people who either hate Idzik or the people who, somewhere along the line, started expecting a raw, rookie QB who didn't look ready in preseason to play like he's been in the league for years.

The only people who saw the Jets winning more than 2-4 games, were Jets fans.  And many of Jets fan were predicting similar.  

Point being, for a team who was going to win, like you say, 4-5 games...there is no such thing as a must-win.

Final standings have nothing to do with "predictions" made at the beginning of the year. If all we were to go by were these predictions, there would be no sense in playing the games. That is the fun of the sport.

For a 1-1 team, that has already lost an in division game, with this being a home game against another division team, it is a pretty important game, if they are to do anything this year. 

Predictions be damned.

EDIT-BTW-the writer of this article predicted the Jets to finish 6-10

Final standings have nothing to do with "predictions" made at the beginning of the year. If all we were to go by were these predictions, there would be no sense in playing the games. That is the fun of the sport.

For a 1-1 team, that has already lost an in division game, with this being a home game against another division team, it is a pretty important game, if they are to do anything this year. 

Predictions be damned.

No sh*t?  lol  Thanks for educating me on the difference between predictions and standings.  You're missing my point or dont care to recognize it.  I was just taking a jab at how silly the media is.

Either way, if we're going to act like this season matters now, its still not a "must-win" game.  It's important, just like every other game they play on the schedule but not a must-win.  Not yet.

No sh*t?  lol  Thanks for educating me on the difference between predictions and standings.  You're missing my point or dont care to recognize it.  I was just taking a jab at how silly the media is.

Either way, if we're going to act like this season matters now, its still not a "must-win" game.  It's important, just like every other game they play on the schedule but not a must-win.  Not yet.

Most writers, do not make the headlines, editors do that.

If you want to make the "media" out to be the bad guy for why your football team is not very good, have at it. If that makes you sleep better at night.

I will bet the boogie man still scares you too.

Most writers, do not make the headlines, editors do that.

If you want to make the "media" out to be the bad guy for why your football team is not very good, have at it. If that makes you sleep better at night.

I will bet the boogie man still scares you too.

WTF are you talking about?  Are you really not following?

never mind.  holy sh*t man

um, wut?

All I read here is how the media is "out to get" the Jets. 

Coverage is saturated more than any time in history, and there is a lack of interesting things to write. Stories are 85% opinion, 15% newsworthy.

People need to realize that, and to take everything with a grain of salt. "The media" "predicted" the Jets to fail.  Some narrative

Archived