Geno Smith heading in right direction for Jets- DENNIS WASZAK Jr. (AP Sports Writer)

CobraVerde

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) -- Geno Smith handles defenses the same way he deals with the media. Blitzes or probing questions, the New York Jets rookie quarterback stands there unflustered and delivers.

Just cool, calm and confident.

''He's playing well,'' right guard Willie Colon said Wednesday. ''He's composed. I love everything about him. He comes out to practice every day and is a hard worker.

''You can tell 'The Show' is not too big for him.''

By the numbers, Smith has had an up-and-down first three games of his NFL career. The Jets are OK with that.

He has made big plays in each of the team's wins in a surprising 2-1 start. He vows to cut down on his mistakes - six interceptions - and the Jets appear willing to live with them, especially with Mark Sanchez out until at least midseason with a shoulder injury.

After all, this is Smith's team now - maybe for good.

''I've been making progress,'' Smith said. ''The good thing is that it's been steady. It's been day by day.''

There were tons of questions when the Jets stunningly drafted Smith in the second round in April, with some fans and media concerned about his approach to the game, his ability to lead and whether his skills during a record-setting career at West Virginia would translate at the next level.

The change in how Smith looked in rookie camp in May to now is off-the-charts different. Sure, there are some still issues with footwork, poorly placed balls and bad reads.

''You never want to be the weak link,'' Smith said, ''or the guy who's holding the team back or the offense back.''

But his performance in a 27-20 victory over Buffalo last Sunday provided a bright glimpse into what the Jets might have.

''His communication and level of expertise is just getting better,'' Colon said. ''I think it's important for us to get him in a rhythm, keep his confidence high and sky's the limit.''

Smith became the first Jets rookie to throw for 300 yards, going 16 of 29 for 331 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. The biggest play was his go-ahead 69-yard toss to Santonio Holmes in the fourth quarter after the Bills tied the game and appeared to steal the momentum.

Marty Mornhinweg's offense had one of the best showings in Jets history, marking the first time the franchise had a 300-yard passer, a 100-yard rusher (Bilal Powell) and two 100-yard receivers (Holmes and Stephen Hill).

''Yeah, we had a good game, but we've got to move on from it,'' Smith said. ''We've got a long season and we've got a tough week coming up.''

The next test is the Tennessee Titans, who have been watching plenty of film of Smith the past few days. They've seen a quarterback who regularly hangs in the pocket, unfazed by the potential of taking a big hit.

''He has the ability to take off when necessary, but he wants to throw the ball,'' Titans cornerback Jason McCourty said.

Added safety Bernard Pollard: ''I see a lot of poise in him. I see a guy that's able to deliver the ball. I haven't seen him throw every route, but at the end of the day, the guy can do it.''

Smith's 65.0 quarterback rating is in the bottom half of the league, and the six interceptions are second in the NFL to the Giants' Eli Manning, who has eight. Those numbers could have the Jets contemplating a quarterback change if Sanchez were still starting.

But because Smith is a rookie with an immeasurable ceiling and terrific arm, there's a fascination within the organization to see how good he could become. Rex Ryan has never announced Smith as the starter for the season, and he won't even acknowledge whether he sees him as a franchise-type player.

''I don't want to get into that,'' Ryan said. ''I was happy with seeing the improvement that he made and the conscious effort that he made from Week 2 to Week 3, and it was in the incompletions.''

Smith got into trouble against New England when he tried to make plays, forcing balls into coverage and getting intercepted three times in the fourth quarter of a 13-10 loss. Against Buffalo, Smith threw four or five balls away when he didn't see a play.

''He's not going to force it,'' Ryan said. ''He's not going to make the critical error.''

Holmes, who had a career-high 154 yards receiving against the Bills, isn't surprised by what he's seeing from the rookie.

''We're more so happy with the opportunities he's given us,'' Holmes said. ''He's putting the ball in great positions for us to make big plays for our team. ... I'm more excited to see the opportunity that he was given and the opportunity that he is taking advantage of right now.''

On Wednesday Rex Ryan was asked if Geno Smith was a franchise quarterback.  His response was interesting:

I don’t want to get into that. I was happy with seeing the improvement that he made and the conscious effort that he made from Week Two to Week Three, and it was in the incompletions. He threw four or five balls away that he wasn’t going to force the issue. So to me, he’s mindful of that. He’s not going to force (it). He’s not going to make the critical error. Now, he may make a physical error, where he under threw a ball, whatever, that may happen, but it’s the ones where you’re forcing it and really to be able to process it to where it’s like, weighing the positives and the minuses of it, I thought he was able to do that last week.

Rex has definitely toned down his responses this year.  He is going out of his way to avoid making big statements.  That is a good thing because the answer to the question about Geno Smith will take more than 3 weeks to determine.  Geno Smith is the starting QB, so Jets fans certainly hope he becomes a franchise QB.  It is simply too early to answer that question definitively.

The early signs look good though.

Santonio Holmes was asked if he is happy with what he has seen from Smith through the first 3 games.

We’re more so happy with the opportunities he’s given us. He’s putting the ball in great positions for us to make big plays for our team. He’s helping our team out, running the football, making the right call at the line of scrimmage and our offensive line has really given him an opportunity to pass the ball.

I hate to say this because I think Smith is making progress, but let's not forget that Bills' CBs Gilmore, Brooks, and their best CB, Leodis McKelvin, were all out. If McKelvin were covering Holmes, things might have been different that game.

Smith's good performance doesn't negate the need to cut down on dumb penalties (beyond Kyle Wilson, there were a ton of false starts and encroachments) and turnovers (the two INTs that Smith threw were pretty ugly).  

I also think the Jets should look to a ground and pound game a bit more, especially given how well the defense is playing. If they stuck with Ivory a bit more against the Pats (he averaged 4ypc that game), they could have won. Bottom line: Just like in 2009 and 2010, the Jets D is good enough this year that if the O puts up 14 to 17 points, they're probably going to win the game. I still think that's how the Jets can sneak into the WC picture this year.

Sorry if this post is a downer, but reality is reality...

I hate to say this because I think Smith is making progress, but let's not forget that Bills' CBs Gilmore, Brooks, and their best CB, Leodis McKelvin, were all out. If McKelvin were covering Holmes, things might have been different that game.

Smith's good performance doesn't negate the need to cut down on dumb penalties (beyond Kyle Wilson, there were a ton of false starts and encroachments) and turnovers (the two INTs that Smith threw were pretty ugly).  

I also think the Jets should look to a ground and pound game a bit more, especially given how well the defense is playing. If they stuck with Ivory a bit more against the Pats (he averaged 4ypc that game), they could have won. Bottom line: Just like in 2009 and 2010, the Jets D is good enough this year that if the O puts up 14 to 17 points, they're probably going to win the game. I still think that's how the Jets can sneak into the WC picture this year.

Sorry if this post is a downer, but reality is reality...

No, you're exactly right. Injuries definitely helped. The one thing I find encouraging is where the ball is placed on many of his throws, there have been both completions and  incompletions that were very well thrown balls (I'm not even talking about the drops) twenty or thirty yards down the field with pretty tight coverage.

No, you're exactly right. Injuries definitely helped. The one thing I find encouraging is where the ball is placed on many of his throws, there have been both completions and  incompletions that were very well thrown balls (I'm not even talking about the drops) twenty or thirty yards down the field with pretty tight coverage.

Aside from that.. a few things are undeniable:

1) He knows it's better to throw the ball away. I still cheer everytime he throws one out of bounds.

2) He's willing to take a hit to make a completion.

3) He can create with his feet if he has to.

He's displayed that in all three games so far, which is encouraging.

Now obviously, he holds the ball for too long, still has to adjust more to the speed of NFL defensive backs, and has to work on mechanics like footwork.. but those things will likely get better with experience and coaching.

I'm not saying he's giong to be the next Montana, but he's promising.

As I remember, the coverage on Holmes was pretty tight.  The throw was perfect--over Holmes outside shoulder---and he popped free after the completion and took it to the house.  That kind of throw can beat a lot of corners.  The coverage on the Hill TD was a joke, though.

As I remember, the coverage on Holmes was pretty tight.  The throw was perfect--over Holmes outside shoulder---and he popped free after the completion and took it to the house.  That kind of throw can beat a lot of corners.  The coverage on the Hill TD was a joke, though.

The throw was perfect to Holmes.. but his skills are what allowed him to make the catch. Because he reacts so late to the ball, corners aren't aware it's coming towards them and dont' turn around.

As for Hill, he's a straight up burner. His knock coming out of college was limited receptions and his hands. His size/speed combo is rare. He'll either be drawing a lot of safety help this year or you'll see him behind A LOT of corners.

I'd like to point out that most of the concerns about Geno only became concerns after the Jets drafted him.

I like what I've seen from him for now. Good start.

If that were true, he wouldn't've been available for the Jets to draft in the second round.

If that were true, he wouldn't've been available for the Jets to draft in the second round.

pleeeease. every "character issue" was hugely ignored by teh!experts until he was a Jet. and it's not like he was a prime talent like Andrew Luck.

The one thing with Geno that makes my butthole pucker up is everytime he throws when he hasn't planted his right foot and is moving forward with his left, it's like watching Chad Sanchez throw. It could flutter like a butterfly in slow motion or it could go right into the dirt. When he steps into it - he's deadly accurate. 

pleeeease. every "character issue" was hugely ignored by teh!experts until he was a Jet. and it's not like he was a prime talent like Andrew Luck.

In the beginning of the season last year he continuosly was listed in mock drafts as a top 10 pick.. I recall a few even having him going #1 overall at a point.

The one thing with Geno that makes my butthole pucker up is everytime he throws when he hasn't planted his right foot and is moving forward with his left, it's like watching Chad Sanchez throw. It could flutter like a butterfly in slow motion or it could go right into the dirt. When he steps into it - he's deadly accurate. 

The TD pass to Hill looked like he wasn't fully planted when he threw it. He stood tall with a rusher coming but it was a way different throw than the Holmes TD.

In the beginning of the season last year he continuosly was listed in mock drafts as a top 10 pick.. I recall a few even having him going #1 overall at a point.

that's why they have the actual draft. teams take what they need and the QBs in this draft class weren't exceptional talents.

I'm not a huge draft/college buff but I never thought Smith was a #1 pick. First round, yes, but not anywhere in the same league as Luck.

Sometimes I think people assume that just because a guy is a decent QB he will absolutely be taken early, but why take only a decent QB if you desperately need a lineman?

(Unless it's the Jets who desperately need a QB and take a CB. Go figure.)

In the 2014 draft, there will be QB's taken in the first round who will have far worse collegiate stats than Geno Smith did. There will also be guys who are much shorter and whose arms are not nearly as strong.  Something happened in the evaluation phase of the 2013 QB class that was not totally based on reality.  We currently have 3 rookie QB's starting in week 4 from this supposedly abysmal QB class.  Maybe people will start to term the Geno pick for what it was, an astute drafting team getting a steal in the second round.

So long as his shoulder doesn't go all Pennington on our asses Smith is the guy. He's shown plenty of aptitude and so far I'm fine with his rookie mistakes. The Jets have put more on him as a rookie than they did Sanchez as a rookie, with way less mature talent, and he's taking it in stride. 

Aside from that.. a few things are undeniable:

1) He knows it's better to throw the ball away. I still cheer everytime he throws one out of bounds.

2) He's willing to take a hit to make a completion.

3) He can create with his feet if he has to.

He's displayed that in all three games so far, which is encouraging.

Now obviously, he holds the ball for too long, still has to adjust more to the speed of NFL defensive backs, and has to work on mechanics like footwork.. but those things will likely get better with experience and coaching.

I'm not saying he's giong to be the next Montana, but he's promising.

Like I said, Geno's definitely making excellent progress. He does hold the ball for too long at times, but he is improving on that. And hey, just think back to Sanchez, who would stand in the pocket totally dumbfounded for like five seconds if his primary receiver were covered, an then throw into triple coverage, fumble the ball or get sacked - sometimes all three at once.

I think he's still under throwing his receivers, especially Hill. 

He hit Hill in stride on his big td, but it's going to take time to developchemistry with having someone with that freakish amount of speed. Also, a few of those throws that look like under throws when his guys are in man coverage, could be underthrown intentionally as that's been something you've seen a lot more with these incredibly talented dbacks: you've got one on one coverage with a fly pattern down the side, if the ball is well placed a little behind the receiver, even perfect coverage can't cover it. It's like the back shoulder thrown, but down the field.  You'll see Aaron Rodgers and Jorday Nelseon/Cobb/Jones do it a lot.

So long as his shoulder doesn't go all Pennington on our asses Smith is the guy. He's shown plenty of aptitude and so far I'm fine with his rookie mistakes. The Jets have put more on him as a rookie than they did Sanchez as a rookie, with way less mature talent, and he's taking it in stride. 

Not sure if it was Cimini or someone else who mentioned it, but Sanchez had one game in his rookie year with over 34 attempts, Geno is averaging that many per game.  The kid is handling a lot being put on his plate and I'm not sure what it is, but he just seems to instill more confidence than Mark ever did. 

Name the teams that were a realistic shot to take him in the first.

The Bills? The Eagles were rumored to be interested, but they passed twice before the Jets second rounder. Really, if he was considered a franchise QB prospect league-wide, there are certainly enough teams with QB issues out who could've taken him before the Jets second round pick.

Why is it so terrible to say there were concerns about Geno at draft time? There were. He entered his last season in college as a Heisman favorite, and a losing spell knocked him right out of contention. His mental resiliency was called into question - a question that arose again during the draft when he was so upset about not being taken in the first that he wasn't going to show up the next day. A high number of fumbles was also a concern - and probably a big reason the Bills took Manuel over Geno.

None of that matters if he pans out. But saying there weren't any concerns surrounding him until after the Jets drafted him just isn't true.

The Bills? The Eagles were rumored to be interested, but they passed twice before the Jets second rounder. Really, if he was considered a franchise QB prospect league-wide, there are certainly enough teams with QB issues out who could've taken him before the Jets second round pick.

Why is it so terrible to say there were concerns about Geno at draft time? There were. He entered his last season in college as a Heisman favorite, and a losing spell knocked him right out of contention. His mental resiliency was called into question - a question that arose again during the draft when he was so upset about not being taken in the first that he wasn't going to show up the next day. A high number of fumbles was also a concern - and probably a big reason the Bills took Manuel over Geno.

None of that matters if he pans out. But saying there weren't any concerns surrounding him until after the Jets drafted him just isn't true.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but him falling to the second round is not a good barometer without looking at each team that was drafting, individually. The Bills liked Manuel better, that's not a knock on Geno. The Eagles have Vick and Foles and other areas of concern that took priority over drafting Geno. The Vikings weren't going to take him. Who else was there?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but him falling to the second round is not a good barometer without looking at each team that was drafting, individually. The Bills liked Manuel better, that's not a knock on Geno. The Eagles have Vick and Foles and other areas of concern that took priority over drafting Geno. The Vikings weren't going to take him. Who else was there?

The Jets (twice)?

The Jets (twice)?

At nine or thirteen over Milliner and Beasterdson?

I think Idzik didn't mind this being a "hold the fort" year (am I using this term correctly? long time since The Man Who ****ed Us Out of Peyton) and maybe he was willing to gamble on Geno being there at 39 and if he's there, he's there if he's not, he's not.

Maybe I'm perceiving the point incorrectly. When you say that every team passed on him, that conjures images of all these QB hungry teams being indifferent to their own plight because they liked Geno that little.

At nine or thirteen over Milliner and Beasterdson?

I think Idzik didn't mind this being a "hold the fort" year (am I using this term correctly? long time since The Man Who ****ed Us Out of Peyton) and maybe he was willing to gamble on Geno being there at 39 and if he's there, he's there if he's not, he's not.

Maybe I'm perceiving the point incorrectly. When you say that every team passed on him, that conjures images of all these QB hungry teams being indifferent to their own plight because they liked Geno that little.

Yes.  Watching the draft I would have been unsurprised if Smith went in the top 10.  I think most people would have been unsurprised to see that.  The commentators on all channels were surprised ANYONE took Manuel over Smith, with "Whoooooa" comments galore, since it went against the "consensus" draft boards.

You really would have been shocked to see Geno Smith get drafted #9 to the Jets? If you say yes, that's valid, but you'd be in the minority. Easy to say in hindsight, since we know we got him several picks into round 2, but no one knew for sure if he'd have lasted to our second #1 pick.

I do agree on your last point, and I'm not among the ones who harps on "every team passed on him" comments.  I say that about Tom Brady because he was drafted at the bottom of round 6 and even teams looking for a career backup could look a round or two earlier (or higher if they're contenders right now and their chief concern is losing their starter and having no one else). 

Yes.  Watching the draft I would have been unsurprised if Smith went in the top 10.  I think most people would have been unsurprised to see that.  The commentators on all channels were surprised ANYONE took Manuel over Smith, with "Whoooooa" comments galore, since it went against the "consensus" draft boards.

You really would have been shocked to see Geno Smith get drafted #9 to the Jets? If you say yes, that's valid, but you'd be in the minority. Easy to say in hindsight, since we know we got him several picks into round 2, but no one knew for sure if he'd have lasted to our second #1 pick.

I do agree on your last point, and I'm not among the ones who harps on "every team passed on him" comments.  I say that about Tomt Brady because he was drafted at the bottom of round 6 and even teams looking for a career backup could look a round or two earlier (or higher if they're contenders right now and their chief concern is losing their starter and having no one else). 

It's really the second point that is what I was talking about. I really don't know enough about college football to be surprised by anything that happens in the draft.

I think teams who may have been interested in Smith passed on him in round 1 because there is a stigma associated with a round 1 QB.  Unless you get to practice and the guy literally can't throw straight or read a defense, if you draft a QB in round 1 then you're giving him a year or two at a minimum if he even shows glimpses of what you thought you were getting.  In round 2, no one gives a crap.  It's forgotten about within a year or two as soon as the team drafts/signs someone else.  If a 2nd rounder never sees the field it's water under the bridge.  If you draft a QB in round 1 that is an impossibility.  He's seeing the field shortly unless you have Brett Favre who won't retire despite all his overtones.  A GM is defined, in many ways, by a QB he drafts in round one. That's his guy. And Geno had shown enough prior to (and frankly, during) the draft to maybe get a GM to say to himself, "I don't want to gamble my whole job on this kid. I'll take him a round later if he's still there and if he busts he busts.  But I'm getting a surer thing in round 1."

I think teams who may have been interested in Smith passed on him in round 1 because there is a stigma associated with a round 1 QB.  Unless you get to practice and the guy literally can't throw straight or read a defense, if you draft a QB in round 1 then you're giving him a year or two at a minimum if he even shows glimpses of what you thought you were getting.  In round 2, no one gives a crap.  It's forgotten about within a year or two as soon as the team drafts/signs someone else.  If a 2nd rounder never sees the field it's water under the bridge.  If you draft a QB in round 1 that is an impossibility.  He's seeing the field shortly unless you have Brett Favre who won't retire despite all his overtones.  A GM is defined, in many ways, by a QB he drafts in round one. That's his guy. And Geno had shown enough prior to (and frankly, during) the draft to maybe get a GM to say to himself, "I don't want to gamble my whole job on this kid. I'll take him a round later if he's still there and if he busts he busts.  But I'm getting a surer thing in round 1."

This I think is a fair point and the Jets couldn't be a more perfect example of that.  Just look at the situations surrounding Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez respectively.  Jets were getting heaps of praise for their pick of Clemens at the time, and ultimately the kid got half a season of real playing time in his 5 years here, was flat out awful, and was immediately pushed aside the second Sanchez came around, not to mention getting thrown to the bench in the midst of a supposed "QB competition" after the Favre trade, yet nobody really gave a crap.  Sanchez, on the other hand, was what the entire team came to be built around and is what ultimately cost Tanny his job.

Archived