GQ Names Jets One of Worst Franchises in Sports

flgreen

GQ names Jets one of worst franchises in sports

Mark Sanchez won't be included in any Revis trade, a source said. Credit: Getty ImagesPoor Mark Sanchez will never live down the buttfumble.

Credit: Getty Images

The Jets are winners on the field right now, with a 2-1 start to the young season showing promise. But historically, their woes have made them a laughingstock and GQ Magazine has taken notice.

The Jets were named the sixth-worst franchise in professional sports according the magazine.

“Every Cleveland Sports Franchise” is ranked No. 1 by the magazine and the Detroit Lions are ranked No. 2. The Lions and Jets are the only NFL teams ranked in GQ’s Top-10 list.

The list is defined by GQ as franchises that “suck.” The reason for the Jets inclusion on the list, according to GQ:

“Mark Sanchez’s ‘butt fumble’ on Thanksgiving Day last year was no anomaly for the Jets — it was a metaphor for their special breed of creative destruction, a multi-decade roll of suck interrupted only by their shock/blip Super Bowl III upset win over the Baltimore Colts. And while we’re at it, may we nominate an alternative possibility for Lowest Jets Moment of Them All? In 2000, after three years as Bill Parcells’s defensive coordinator, Bill Belichick was promoted to head coach, and in his desperate haste to back out of the job, he scribbled a note on a napkin just before his introductory press conference: ‘I resign as HC of the NYJ.’ LOL.”

Sanchez was actually on the cover of GQ in September 2011.

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

Who cares? Let them fire their shots. It means nothing.

Didn't anyone tell them that magazines are juuuuuuuuuuust about dead? Enjoy your last few minutes on your perch GQ. It's almost time to kill yourself.

actually, magazines aren't as dead as people think.

I love articles like this, they remind why I've been a Jet fan for 30 years and stick with this team through all of the disappointment. 

Someday in my lifetime the Jets will win the Super Bowl and the bangwagon will be completely empty except for those of us who lived through Kotite, brister, bollywood, herm, and now the butt fumble.   

not really. they're just getting nichier. but I wouldn't be sad about losing GQ.

Every Barnes and Noble in my area just closed down in the past two years. Borders before that and Walden books before that. Everything paper is going away (unfortunately). Who is going to want to pick up a magazine when all the info is a click away. The problem mags like GQ are going to have is that they rely on the cover to inspire people to purchase it impulsively.  Many mags rely on this premise. It's why so many rags are displayed prominently at both news stops in the city and super markets everywhere else. Once they are not in peoples faces, which is happening already it will be over.  

And I now hate you for coaxing me to write this much about GQ.  LOL 

do any of you actually work for magazines? just curious. yes, circulation is down but magazines are surviving because they're geared towards a very specific audience and a lot of their content is not available for free online.

My fiancee just quit a job in major print advertising last year. It was getting pretty bad. Lower budgets, huge move into digital. It will never be completely dead but the i-devices are drstroying the profitability. You are online somehow almost all day now. I am in te 5% in the morning that reads a real paper on the way to work. Also print cant update thru the day which is another way digital captures your loyalty. I just cant not have my paper in the am. But I am 29 and in the super minority

Archived