Ducasse is classic case why Rex WILL be fired.

MexiRoll6

This guy is Wayne Hunter Jr. Can't block and makes up for it with penalties. My guess is that he is out there NEXT WEEK and continues to show why he was a second round pick by a GM that has been fired and a HC who soon will be.

Ducasse is a turnstile and yes Rex is loyal to his favorites and it will cost him his job.

Is Rex supposed to be holding players accountable on offense or is that Marty's deal? In the past I agree that Rex doesn't hold players accountable. Also, maybe there is no better alternative on the roster at the moment?

I think Winters will be in there next week.  Watching his presser, I think Ducasse was one of the people he was specifically referring to when he said (in so many words) it wasn't just Geno who sucked.

Is this the "new Rex" who benches his top 10 pick for a former failed draft pick and/or an undrafted practice squad guy? Gives Ducasse a shot because he won the job in camp but is then willing to take it away from him 2 weeks after he had a (mostly) really good game?  It's interesting.  In the past, it would have been, "_____ is our guy," and that would have been the end of it.  

Despite the horrid showing, I can at least understand keeping Smith in there for a variety of reasons.  Rex said Geno is starting next week (or certainly that's his plan as of tonight), but I don't think Smith's starting job is guaranteed for more than another week or two.  If he looks no better next week I think there's a good chance we'll see someone else in week 6 (with a good chance that that week 6 starter mops up week 5).  In the past there was little to no chance of that happening.

None of this has anything to do with the penalties, though, which are inexcusable. 

I think Winters will be in there next week.  Watching his presser, I think Ducasse was one of the people he was specifically referring to when he said (in so many words) it wasn't just Geno who sucked.

Is this the "new Rex" who benches his top 10 pick for a former failed draft pick and/or an undrafted practice squad guy? Gives Ducasse a shot because he won the job in camp but is then willing to take it away from him 2 weeks after he had a (mostly) really good game?  It's interesting.  In the past, it would have been, "_____ is our guy," and that would have been the end of it.  

Despite the horrid showing, I can at least understand keeping Smith in there for a variety of reasons.  Rex said Geno is starting next week (or certainly that's his plan as of tonight), but I don't think Smith's starting job is guaranteed for more than another week or two.  If he looks no better next week I think there's a good chance we'll see someone else in week 6 (with a good chance that that week 6 starter mops up week 5).  In the past there was little to no chance of that happening.

None of this has anything to do with the penalties, though, which are inexcusable. 

We will see - but based on all of Idzik's other draft picks and FA's I'm not betting that Winters is any better.

We will see - but based on all of Idzik's other draft picks and FA's I'm not betting that Winters is any better.

I'm not betting that any rookie is anything (except Richardson, really).  We'll see with Milliner.  Smith isn't exactly coming off a promising game (though I've seen worse).  Bohanon looks solid.  The 5th & 6th rounders...whatever, I'm happy if one of the two sticks as a backup for 5 years.  

Ivory can't stay healthy but he started to look good in his last game (minus the obvious fumble). We haven't seen Goodson since he was with Oakland, so while he's been an embarrassment for Idzik thus far, I still say it's too early to declare him a bad signing long term.  Who else is there? Peterman was cut and Garrard retired.  There's also Barnes and Landry and Winslow and he brought back Calvin Pace at the vet minimum.

I think it's obvious Idzik was bargain-bin shopping with veterans this off-season.  The two RBs were his giant splurges and neither is going to be a cap albatross if we parted ways. Goodson is cuttable after this year with minimal residual dead space.  Ivory would probably need to stick for 1 more year and is then cuttable.  Push comes to shove, if we feel Ivory's roster spot is better spent on an UDFA rookie, it's roughly cap neutral to dump him also.  I also take it for granted that it's harder to hit on dirt-cheap veterans than ones who command bigger dollars.  Even Mike Tannenbaum, with no playing or scouting experience, was able to sign guys to huge dollars and hit on most of them (even if only temporarily).  Hey, he also signed Matt Simms (though we briefly had him at one time, he wasn't on the team and required re-signing as a FA) and half the fans here are in love with him.  

If he does all that clearance-rack shopping next year I'll be pissed off.  But I don't think that is likely to happen.  I just think he wanted to head into his first draft without risking passing up on a guy he (or the scouts) liked so much, but we signed ____ for $3M/year so now it's not a need position anymore.

We'll see on him and on how Rex handles bad play with Smith and others.

If Rex thinks he can save his job by shuffling QBs he will not save his job.  First of all, we don't have a lot of chickens in the pot.  Brady Quinn?   Matt Simms?  Rex's only hope of survival is to get Geno up to speed and try to make Idzik's pick valuable.  If he does everything he can and Geno just does not have it, I think he would still have a better chance with Idzik than he will by shuffling QBs.

This guy is Wayne Hunter Jr. Can't block and makes up for it with penalties. My guess is that he is out there NEXT WEEK and continues to show why he was a second round pick by a GM that has been fired and a HC who soon will be.

The new GM brought in two veteran guards and drafted three more OL, and Ducasse still won the job. Rex's fault!

The new GM brought in two veteran guards and drafted three more OL, and Ducasse still won the job. Rex's fault!

I thought Winters got banged up in camp, and is a rookie.  How much Ducasse "won"  the job is not all that clear to me.

Meanwhile I heard Slauson is having a pretty good season so far.  Don't know how he did yesterday though...

since we are talking OL, the Willie Colon hands to the face penalty was more damaging than any of Vlad's mistakes. It nullified a rare big play by the offense. 

and since we are talking Jets, the OL isn't why they lost that game. We all know that deep down. Some of us just like to focus on Vlad or whoever. But we all know why they lost that game. It wasn't the guard play. 

since we are talking OL, the Willie Colon hands to the face penalty was more damaging than any of Vlad's mistakes. It nullified a rare big play by the offense. 

and since we are talking Jets, the OL isn't why they lost that game. We all know that deep down. Some of us just like to focus on Vlad or whoever. But we all know why they lost that game. It wasn't the guard play. 

there were a lot of reasons why we lost that game and your right Vlad was not the biggest reason.

I agree Smith lost the game, but that does not mean VD did not have problems.

The secondary is also showing weakness, altough Wilson made a great play for a change.  Still, the D was more good than not.  It does bother me this is the first week the Jets secondary faced a team with a decent passer and average to good receivers, and they made Locker look like he should be considered for mention as one of the NFL's elite Qb's.  I don't think he is, of course, but...

But yes, the loss is mostly on Smith.

Gives Ducasse a shot because he won the job in camp but is then willing to take it away from him 2 weeks after he had a (mostly) really good game?  It's interesting.  In the past, it would have been, "_____ is our guy," and that would have been the end of it.  

He did have a marginally good out a couple weeks ago. Then for last weeks prep Gregg Williams asked himself and the rest of the staff "how do we get through the line to get Geno". We all got to see the answer to that question yesterday. Ducasse is miserably bad. 

And how we will EVER know?

you know, this massive hysterical overreaction after every mistake by every player after every game is tiring.

just because Winters isn't in yet doesn't mean he will NEVER be. and after the NE game Vlad had earned the right to lose his job before being pulled. plus, maybe Winters isn't in yet because they don't like what they've seen, or because he's, you know, a ROOKIE who isn't ready.

it's a freaking transition year. take a sedative.

Archived