According to Pro Footabll Focus Cro is ranked 97th out of 104 CB

DRJETS

I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.  For 3 straight years he was showing up in the Top 10 in FootballOutsiders' rankings. 

This year he has been awful, In fact all our DB with the exception of Darrin Walls.  The Jets probably has the worst Safeties in the league.  It was a possibility coming into the season with seven new defensive starters.  Rex is doing wonder so far.  

They also gave David Harris a negative grade for the Falcons game. Dude was all over the place. A signed beast, our own beast. PFF isnt gospel......

It's an accurate grade on Harris.  He totally whiffed on tackles and was useless in coverage.  That he turned a couple of sure-thing tackles into loud, lit-him-up type, doesn't make the tackle any more useful.

He's just okay, and was just ok vs Atlanta.  A higher than average quantity of tackles doesn't mean someone had a really good game (see Vilma, Jonathan, who has made a career of this, though he was a bit better in coverage IMO). 

It's an accurate grade on Harris.  He totally whiffed on tackles and was useless in coverage.  That he turned a couple of sure-thing tackles into loud, lit-him-up type, doesn't make the tackle any more useful.

He's just okay, and was just ok vs Atlanta.  A higher than average quantity of tackles doesn't mean someone had a really good game (see Vilma, Jonathan, who has made a career of this, though he was a bit better in coverage IMO). 

That always been the knock on Harris.  He is one of the best LB against the run, but against the pass he is below average, too slow.

That always been the knock on Harris.  He is one of the best LB against the run, but against the pass he is below average, too slow.

He isn't that great against the run either anymore.  Hasn't been, frankly, since he got paid.  Not saying that's the reason, but that's when his play certainly declined.

He looks better than he did in '12, but he was awful last year.  Again, he's just okay.

lolol so we have bad players but our D is one of the top in the league?

Rex is a genius?

I think most of the credit go to Rex's scheme.  Remember Eric Mangini, a defensive guru, had his defense ranked #19 in 08.  The following year Rex with the same players made them #1. 

Harris has definitely played better this season.   He is a good LB being paid like an elite LB.   

If he want to come back for low $$ next season and 'compete' for a spot great, otherwise I think 2013 will be the end of Harris and Idzik will draft his replacement.  

He isn't that great against the run either anymore.  Hasn't been, frankly, since he got paid.  Not saying that's the reason, but that's when his play certainly declined.

He looks better than he did in '12, but he was awful last year.  Again, he's just okay.

I disagree with you.  In the trenches, he has always been a stud.  I think last year he had an off year but still good not great against the run and horrible against the pass.  This year he has been a man on a mission against the run.  

I disagree with you.  In the trenches, he has always been a stud.  I think last year he had an off year but still good not great against the run and horrible against the pass.  This year he has been a man on a mission against the run.  

He was not a stud in 2011.  He was merely GOOD in 2010, and that's why a lot of us went apesh*t when Tannenbaum gave him that ridiculous contract. Freaking 300-lb, 34 year-old Alge Crumpler ran him down in a dead foot race.  He runs like a pregnant hippo.

He isn't a stud right now either, not even against the run. He's probably missed 5 or 6 tackles this year already.   

You're welcome to disagree, though.  That's fine.

He was not a stud in 2011. He was merely GOOD in 2010, and that's why a lot of us went apesh*t when Tannenbaum gave him that ridiculous contract. Freaking 300-lb, 34 year-old Alge Crumpler ran him down in a dead foot race. He runs like a pregnant hippo.

He isn't a stud right now either, not even against the run. He's probably missed 5 or 6 tackles this year already.

You're welcome to disagree, though. That's fine.

10 yd head start Harris had...I was just dumbfounded!

UGGGGHH! Wtf is wrong with you people? Have we become so compartmentalized in our thinking that we now refuse to believe what we actually see and experience and cling to the nonsense of "metrics" and stats and nonsensical breakdowns? We had a # 3 ranked Oline last year, remember that one? Cro is ranked 90 something and Harris was below average in a game where he was all over the field? What in the hell are you guys watching? I've said it before and I'll say it again...metrics don't work in football the way they do in baseball or basketball, because the insane amount of variables dictate false conclusions. Mangold is awesome then mangold isn't awesome. It has a lot to do with who's next to him and who is running the offense, as well as who is lined up over him, the defensive alignments and schemes, tendencies, even the scoring gap dictating more run versus more pass and the defensive or offensive advantages of that gap. Cro? Same damned thing. Harris? Same damned thing. Look with your eyes and leave the numerical nincompoopery to the fools who thing slanted number crunching has anything to do with 22 men playing football on a Sunday afternoon.

He was not a stud in 2011.  He was merely GOOD in 2010, and that's why a lot of us went apesh*t when Tannenbaum gave him that ridiculous contract. Freaking 300-lb, 34 year-old Alge Crumpler ran him down in a dead foot race.  He runs like a pregnant hippo.

You're welcome to disagree, though.  That's fine.

Wild African hippo or San Diego Zoo hippo?

UGGGGHH! Wtf is wrong with you people? Have we become so compartmentalized in our thinking that we now refuse to believe what we actually see and experience and cling to the nonsense of "metrics" and stats and nonsensical breakdowns? We had a # 3 ranked Oline last year, remember that one? Cro is ranked 90 something and Harris was below average in a game where he was all over the field? What in the hell are you guys watching? I've said it before and I'll say it again...metrics don't work in football the way they do in baseball or basketball, because the insane amount of variables dictate false conclusions. Mangold is awesome then mangold isn't awesome. It has a lot to do with who's next to him and who is running the offense, as well as who is lined up over him, the defensive alignments and schemes, tendencies, even the scoring gap dictating more run versus more pass and the defensive or offensive advantages of that gap. Cro? Same damned thing. Harris? Same damned thing. Look with your eyes and leave the numerical nincompoopery to the fools who thing slanted number crunching has anything to do with 22 men playing football on a Sunday afternoon.

My eye has told me that Cro has been beaten like a red-headed step child this year.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that it's injury related, as he's been so damned good the last few years and the only way you'd see a drop off this precipitous is if his athleticism suddenly went, which isn't the case. The knee injury certainly doesn't help, but hopefully he can round into form if we're still in the running later in the year. 

As for Harris; I think he's been very good in run support this year, mainly due to the defensive line keeping him so clean, however he continues to struggle in the passing game.  I would not be at all surprised to see the Jets keep him around next year, but draft his replacement somewhere from rounds 3 and down.  Maybe even with the third we get from Revis; the gift that keeps on givin.

You had me at, "nincompoopery".

Archived