Kiper : NFL Rookie Rankings ~ ~ ~

kelly

Kiper: NFL Rookie Rankings After Week 5, Sheldon Richardson leads a deep class of good rookies

"I gave the Jets a good grade in my 2013 NFL draft grades, but I heard a lot of questions about their strategy. People asked about things such as why no quarterback was taken in Round 1, why there was no skill-position talent like WR Tavon Austin (who was drafted by the Rams), and why no new tight end was selected. My conclusion was, "I still think they deserve a pretty good grade for hitting a few big needs. Now, they need to be patient with QB Geno Smith."And the Jets did hit big needs. But it turns out they couldn't afford to be patient with Smith. The good news is, he continues to rise in my Rookie Rankings, and an efficient 16-of-20, three-touchdown performance on "Monday Night Football' shows another stage in his progression."

1. Sheldon Richardson, DT, New York Jets

So far, the Jets lead all NFL teams in run defense, allowing just 3.0 yards per carry, and Richardson is one of the main reasons why. He's been consistently disruptive, showing tremendous quickness and athleticism, eliminating the chance for blockers to move him and then getting to the second level. I also like his versatility -- we've even seen him line up as a fullback on offense down near the goal line. So far, the first interior lineman taken in the draft has lived up to the billing. He also has 2.5 sacks.

~ ~ 5. Geno Smith, QB, New York Jets

He has had ups and down and has turned the ball over too much, but that's what you expect from a rookie. However, he's shown poise, has never lost his confidence, is gaining respect from his teammates, and has come through in the clutch, rallying the Jets with two late fourth-quarter drives to pull out victories against Tampa Bay and Atlanta. The Atlanta victory, in particular, was a signature win because his late play was just the icing on top of a performance with great statistical efficiency. And let's remember: He's operating without a top-flight supporting cast, yet has been able to show nice progress. He's mixed a good deep ball with savvy as a scrambler.

>  http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ookie-rankings

+1.

I was annoyed they drafted Richardson because we so desperately needed an offensive player, but for once I am so happy I had to eat my words.

As much as I'd love it if we'd have ended up with Eiffert, I'm happy we drafted the guys we did.

2 first rounders, one of which became an immediate starter and impact player - the other has been hampered with nagging injuries, but I fully believe he'll contribute at a high level in good time.

The funny part about Richardson being #1 is the fact that Kiper gave us drafting him a "C" rating on draft night, i remember that very clearly. For once it looks like the jets got this draft right.

Milliner is a question mark but even I'm thinking worst case scenario he might be athletic and skilled enough to play safety if CB doesn't end up working out. He's always been a solid tackler and he's a big guy with speed. Or he's on IR the rest of his career...which is very possible.

Milliner is a question mark but even I'm thinking worst case scenario he might be athletic and skilled enough to play safety if CB doesn't end up working out. He's always been a solid tackler and he's a big guy with speed. Or he's on IR the rest of his career...which is very possible.

I think he'll get it together and become an above average corner, sort of like CRO, not a Revis but a solid CB.

+1.

I was annoyed they drafted Richardson because we so desperately needed an offensive player, but for once I am so happy I had to eat my words.

I was devastated at the time cause I thought Rex was still running the draft when I heard our first 2 picks. I even liked Richardson, took him in the JN mock but wondered why we needed another guy on the DL. It was an obvious overreaction and I'm happy Idzik was just sticking to his board like good teams do.

Love Idzik's BPA approach to the draft, it's what teams who aren't a player or two away should do, hell, I think it's always what you should do. Who knows how Atalanta might be faring if they had some young guys on defense instead of giving up a king's ransom for Julio.However, sometimes it makes sense to move up and I know we want to veer away from that, but the only player I was really sore about missing out on was Larry Warford; I felt he was the best run-blocking OG in the draft and was more than serviceable in the pass-game from what I saw of him.  That kid is going to be a true stud.  Don't get me wrong, Winters has all the ability to be a very good pro, I just personally feel Warford is going to the be best of the class and for a third round value too; we wouldn't even miss names like Will Campbell and Oday Aboushi in a few years.  

But thus far, it's been a pretty great draft, seeing as how we already have two rookies making big time contributions and a 3rd in bohanon who is starting and playing at a solid level, not many drafts can say that.

+1.

I felt the same way but I absolutely love Sheldon Richardson he is the first rookie we have had in a long time that has made a huge impact right out of the gate. Just think what this defensive line will look like with a couple more years under their belt. The position is set for many years to come.

of all the jets picks, I hated the richardson pick the most

lol at me

You were far from alone on that one.  There were a very high volume of people who completely hated the pick, even relative to the normal levels of Jets fans, and at best it seemed like those who didn't necessarily hate it were still left completely baffled by the decision.

Wasn't Kiper the one that trashed every pick we made on air?

It was Mike Mayock (He really really trashed Geno) and every body at the NFL network.  I understood the pick at the time since Pouha and DeVito were not coming back and we had no depth.  It was a brilliant move by Idzik.  Instead of taking someone uncertain at the DL position in later rounds instead he went for the homerun.  Kudos to Idzik, for taking Sheldon and them all the commentator were upset at him for not taking Star lotulelei or Shariff Floyd (top 5 in most mock draft).

As much as I'd love it if we'd have ended up with Eiffert, I'm happy we drafted the guys we did.

2 first rounders, one of which became an immediate starter and impact player - the other has been hampered with nagging injuries, but I fully believe he'll contribute at a high level in good time.

Good thing we didnt draft Eifert. Though I think he will be a stud in this league I feel like Cumberland will establish a very good football relationship with Geno. 

Archived