Have you accepted Geno as your QB and savior?

T0mShane

Gotcha...thought you were saying you liked Beckham more and I was a bit confused. Thought Landry was the clear cut better prospect. 

What year is Hill?  He's been impressive this season.  

True Sophomore: he's a knucklehead and had some off-field issues, but he's as talented as any back coming out in a while. He's 6'2, 235 pounds will probably run somewhere in the mid 4.4s, has great hands out of the backfield, is actually quite explosive through the hole and is one of the few bell-cow backs to come out in a handful of years. He's night and day better than stephen ridley and ridley was a very solid player in his own respect. The best thing about him is that, while I think he's the best back in the country, he's going to fall to someone in the second round because he shares the same draft class as Todd Gurley, TJ Yeldon and Mike Davis.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know yet.  He's only 7 games into his career. He's had a lot of bad moments, some good moments.  Yesterday he was ok, but they won because the defense stopped Brady and the Jets rushed the ball over 50 times.      If he continues to improve and he gets into a shoot out where the defense is just not on their game,  I will be impressed.  it's far easy to look decent when your defense shuts down a guy like Brady for almost 3 quarters compared to a game where it's 38-35 and you need to score again.    And these kinds of games happen often in the NFL.    

I see so many similarities as the 2009 team.  And most people were calling Mark Sanchize back then so i'm not going to suddenly think Geno is a savior because he had an avg game.  I mean if you look at the numbers yesterday, Brady and Smith had similar games.  Except Brady had a bad game and no rushing game,  and Smith was considered great and had a rushing attack.   

Yesterday running game was not impressive, (if you take away Geno 6 rush for 32 yards) 46 rush for 145 yards (3.1 YPC) is simply mediocre, if you ask me.  That was way below Shonn Greene pathetic tenure with the team and the reason he was ran out of town.  There were many occasion when Geno had to convert on third and long cause Ivory usually ran straight up the gut for no game or one yard.  The jets definitely did not win cause they ran so many times.  I definitely do not see any comparison to the 09 season.  Sanchez in 09 was given the task to manage the game and he failed for the most part.  This season with limited running game, no offensive weapon, Geno is given the task to make play to win the game and he had done it in the 4 wins so far. 

Those of you comparing Geno's stats to Mark's through 7 games are leaving out fumbles. I don't have the numbers--maybe someone else can look them up and post them--but I'm pretty sure Mark had something like 6 or 7 fumbles.

Edit: Ok maybe I'm mistaken here. Looks like it's 6 fum (3 lost) for Geno and 7 fum (2 lost) for Sanchez, fairly comprable.

The TD catch and the third down to ice the game was just too brutal to watch. In fact, I had the game recorded on my DVR and erased it just to not watch it again.

For some reason u guys forget that grind drop a few also this happens in games. Can't say if he would have caught these 2 passes without saying the same for the pats. We won that's all that matters

True Sophomore: he's a knucklehead and had some off-field issues, but he's as talented as any back coming out in a while. He's 6'2, 235 pounds will probably run somewhere in the mid 4.4s, has great hands out of the backfield, is actually quite explosive through the hole and is one of the few bell-cow backs to come out in a handful of years. He's night and day better than stephen ridley and ridley was a very solid player in his own respect. The best thing about him is that, while I think he's the best back in the country, he's going to fall to someone in the second round because he shares the same draft class as Todd Gurley, TJ Yeldon and Mike Davis.

He gashed the Gators like no back I've seen in a long time.  That wasnt fun to watch.  Going into that game the Gators were absolutely beastly against the run and at that point we were only down Easly.  Anywho, yeah, Hill looks like he could be a beast on Sunday.

There are a lot of talented skills players out there.  The Jets should have an opportunity to really add some play makers this offseason through the draft. 

Those of you comparing Geno's stats to Mark's through 7 games are leaving out fumbles. I don't have the numbers--maybe someone else can look them up and post them--but I'm pretty sure Mark had something like 6 or 7 fumbles.

Edit: Ok maybe I'm mistaken here. Looks like it's 6 fum (3 lost) for Geno and 7 fum (2 lost) for Sanchez, fairly comprable.

Well the throws are the throws, whether the D catches it, and the D dropped a significant number of easy picks on Sanchez in his first month (3 in the Tennessee game alone).  Easy as in significantly easier to catch than Clyde Gates's dropped TD.  Anyone recall Smith getting stupid-luck from the opposing D like that? No.

He may still end up being every bit of a Sanchez-level bust long-term.  But so far he has been quite noticeably better even despite worse circumstances where he's been asked to do more with less.  A play-action doesn't work that well if no one gives a crap if you try to run it against their non-loaded front.

I like some of what I've seen, and I don't like some of what I've seen.  The rest is routine nothing that Ryan Leaf could do (even the worst of the worst completed 40-50% of his passes and wasn't throwing picks on more than ~5-6% of his attempts, which is the same interception level that rookie Sanchez had without even counting the  dropped picks he had that year).  Sanchez's second "much improved" season he had something like 15 interceptions thrown that the defense just flat-out dropped.

By contrast, Geno - who has earned all of his interceptions except maybe half of 1 of them where Spadola was half to blame - didn't throw badly enough to earn a handful or more than were actually picked off.  

The differences are significant.  Sanchez was throwing the ball badly enough to have well over 5% of his passes intercepted in each of his first 2 seasons.  Over 7% as a rookie, which is worse than the worst of Ryan Leaf's levels, and it was something over 5% in year 2.  (To his credit, Sanchez did balance that out with some TDs, which Leaf did not, which is why Mark's not spoken of in the same breath as the biggest bust ever, who was once a nearly-equivalent prospect to Peyton Manning).  But those interception-worthy passes were still thrown.  That's despite the D and the ground game those years keeping him out of a lot of 3rd & very-long's or multitudes of full series of must-pass-every-down (or almost every down) situations.

So this is why Sanchez criticism is not revisionist and not everyone was sucking him off the first 2 years.  Quite a lot of us could see the guy was not ever going to be a good QB.  Geno, if he busts, probably won't be a Sanchez-level bust.  But Geno doesn't have nearly the team around him thus far to bail him out and make him look a lot better than he is like Sanchez appears to those looking up his stats today.

I have high hopes for Geno.  Most of it is based on some of the positive things I've seen him do, but admit some of that is because I just want it to be.  I had almost none for Sanchez - other than some random blind hope after one of his not-horrible games - once I actually got to see him play.  But I wanted him to be a great QB just as much as I want Geno to be.  The difference is Mark is not a player, never was one, and never will be.  Geno might be.

Idzik will draft on need and fill holes in free agency. We'll end up drafting Anthony Barr (OLB) and sign Eric Decker and Jermichael Finley in free agency.

I hope he fills holes thru free agency, but continues to draft BAP. There's really not a place on the team that couldn't be improved with a BAP, as opposed to forcing a pick for need.

The obvious exception would be the DL, but we all said that last year and that Richardson pick looks like it's working out.

I hope he fills holes thru free agency, but continues to draft BAP. There's really not a place on the team that couldn't be improved with a BAP, as opposed to forcing a pick for need.

The obvious exception would be the DL, but we all said that last year and that Richardson pick looks like it's working out.

That's what I was implying with my earlier post, that everyone is speculating which skill guy we'll draft, but we're just as likely to draft defense again depending on how the draft shakes out.

Not sure if it's Geno's throwing motion, but he doesn't have as many balls batted down as Sanchez.

• 4 weeks later...

It's time to get behind Geno Smith as the franchise quarterback of your New York Jets. Not since Namath have the Jets drafted a quarterback with this combination of physical skills, toughness, smarts, and instincts. Yes, he's thrown some terrible balls, but he's improving by the minute. I think he's going to be a top-fifteen quarterback very soon and, given the proper coaching and complementary talent, he could develop into one of the elite players in this league, all because of his mental fortitude and, dare I say, grit.

Get behind him, people. Train is leaving the station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjakaPkXghk

The biggest differance between Geno and Mark is that Geno makes you believe that its more a matter of time and experience reading defenses, with Mark it was if he could just not make the errors to cost us the game. Sanchez would make some great throws downfield but not with any consistancy Geno has shown he can make those throws but needs to determine when to do so. Also Mark had far better offensive line and targets to throw to.

Geno Is learning the nuances of the position, reading defenses and will eventually develop the instincts to dissect defenses far beyond anything that Sanchez could do. I do not foresee Geno being overwhelmed by the game but rather see him becoming one of the better QB's who learn to take what the defense gives and make it work towards winning games.

how u feeling now?

Enough with the Sanchez comparisons already...its not even CLOSE.

Sanchez was not asked to do HALF of what Geno has been asked to do. Sanchez did not have the accuracy thaqt Geno has showen, he does not have the running ability that Geno has shown, he absolutely does not have the poise that Geno has shown (Geno doesn't let bad plays or games spiral out of control), and didn't have the same arm strength.

The Sanchez stuff is over with. Everyone needs to let it go.

The comparison was about the verbal fellatio Smith is getting...  the same as Sanchez got his year.  How you missed that obvious point is amazing.

It's time to get behind Geno Smith as the franchise quarterback of your New York Jets. Not since Namath have the Jets drafted a quarterback with this combination of physical skills, toughness, smarts, and instincts. Yes, he's thrown some terrible balls, but he's improving by the minute. I think he's going to be a top-fifteen quarterback very soon and, given the proper coaching and complementary talent, he could develop into one of the elite players in this league, all because of his mental fortitude and, dare I say, grit.

Get behind him, people. Train is leaving the station.

Since this is an old post I will save my sarcasm and simply say NO, Geno is NOT the QB savior of the Jets. He may turn out to be a slightly better than Sanchez type, but SB QB? I doubt it. I say this AFTER debacle in Buffalo and with further debacles to come vs Baltimore, Miami (twice) and Carolina. Jets 7-9 and not much improved over the last two seasons.

Archived