Jets close to deal for Josh Gordon?

joewilly12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20. TE Eric Ebron, UNC*

NFL Comparison: A physical Jared Cook Jr.

Where He Wins: An outstanding straight-line athlete with some bend/flexibility for his size. Will stretch defenses and then cut his route back to the quarterback. Presents a big target and can separate after the catch. Improving consistency at the catch point and a willing blocker.

Where He Fits: An inline option who can be split out to matchup with different defenders.

Draft Projection: Top-25.

20. TE Eric Ebron, UNC*

NFL Comparison: A physical Jared Cook Jr.

Where He Wins: An outstanding straight-line athlete with some bend/flexibility for his size. Will stretch defenses and then cut his route back to the quarterback. Presents a big target and can separate after the catch. Improving consistency at the catch point and a willing blocker.

Where He Fits: An inline option who can be split out to matchup with different defenders.

Draft Projection: Top-25.

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  I haven't looked at any draft sites yet, so didn't have any idea where he might go.  I guess I tend to undervalue him since he plays for UNC and they suck, plus because he plays for UNC the local media hypes him a bit as they do all UNC players, and at the NFL level, most of them suck.  I may be mistaken, but think Gio Bernard is the only former Tarheel playing at a high level at the moment, although there may be a DL from a couple of years ago who is playing pretty well. Zack Pianalto was the Tarheels starting TE the last several years and very highly rated by many around here (NC) and on Jets boards, and he wasn't even drafted, and the last I heard wasn't even on an NFL team's PS.  I'll admit that Ebron does look very good and a lot more athletic/talented than Pianalto.

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  I haven't looked at any draft sites yet, so didn't have any idea where he might go.  I guess I tend to undervalue him since he plays for UNC and they suck, plus because he plays for UNC the local media hypes him a bit as they do all UNC players, and at the NFL level, most of them suck.  I may be mistaken, but think Gio Bernard is the only former Tarheel playing at a high level at the moment, although there may be a DL from a couple of years ago who is playing pretty well. Zack Pianalto was the Tarheels starting TE the last several years and very highly rated by many around here (NC) and on Jets boards, and he wasn't even drafted, and the last I heard wasn't even on an NFL team's PS.  I'll admit that Ebron does look very good and a lot more athletic/talented than Pianalto.

No problem. I don't know much about college football. I just drool at the prospect of a guy like this on the Jets. I love the idea of a super athletic player at that position, I think it changes your whole offense.

No problem. I don't know much about college football. I just drool at the prospect of a guy like this on the Jets. I love the idea of a super athletic player at that position, I think it changes your whole offense.

Meh. I think they need a guy who does both--blocks and catches. I'm not sure Ebron isn't just Fred Davis.

Yes, it would be great to have a freakish talent like that at TE.  I felt the same way about Vernon Davis a few years ago.  I really wanted him to wind up on the Jets.

That said, like Tom, I'd want him or whoever they add at TE to be a capable blocker.  I think that if they added a TE who was primarily a blocker and still had Cumby and Winslow, they'd be better than OK at TE, but it would be sweet to add Ebron if he is indeed a willing blocker. I wonder how much Ebron weighs.  He looks somewhat lean, like he may be in the 240s.  If so, I'd prefer a TE in the 260s, but the fact that he comes back towards the QB for the ball may outweigh the weight/blocking factor.

I think we just became best friends :cheers:

There's a couple, but you're right, for as many highly touted players coming out of Butch Davis' old recruiting classes, I can only think of a handful besides Bernard that are really making an impact: Hakeem Nicks, prior to losing a step this year and then Robert Quinn and Zach Brown on the defensive side. Hopefully Coples can be added to that list soon, but it really is surprising how many players that were well thought of and how little are making an impact. I guess Peppers makes up for all of them though.

There's a couple, but you're right, for as many highly touted players coming out of Butch Davis' old recruiting classes, I can only think of a handful besides Bernard that are really making an impact: Hakeem Nicks, prior to losing a step this year and then Robert Quinn and Zach Brown on the defensive side. Hopefully Coples can be added to that list soon, but it really is surprising how many players that were well thought of and how little are making an impact. I guess Peppers makes up for all of them though.

Yes, Quinn is the DL I was thinking of.  I had forgotten about Nicks, but he seems to heading downwards already.  I must have missed Zach Brown.  What position does he play?

Yes, Quinn is the DL I was thinking of.  I had forgotten about Nicks, but he seems to heading downwards already.  I must have missed Zach Brown.  What position does he play?

OLB for the Titans: he had a solid rookie year last year and is building on it this season. The deal with him was that while he was considered a physical specimen, he was supposedly allergic to tackling and contact, which he proved wrong it seems. Regardless, you'd still think there'd be a lot more players with all the hype they were getting: not sure how Austin is doing, besides giving us Geno Smith for the year, so I guess that's something.

OLB for the Titans: he had a solid rookie year last year and is building on it this season. The deal with him was that while he was considered a physical specimen, he was supposedly allergic to tackling and contact, which he proved wrong it seems. Regardless, you'd still think there'd be a lot more players with all the hype they were getting: not sure how Austin is doing, besides giving us Geno Smith for the year, so I guess that's something.

Thanks.  Yeah, there's been a pretty long list of over-hyped UNC players who have been busts or only meh pro players.

Another good game from Gordon.

4 catches, 123 yards & a TD.  Kid's a 6'4" playmaker WR even with these nobodies at QB.

If the team likes him enough to get him, then get him.  He's not a 1-year fix, where you're picking up someone who needs a new contract in February or March.  He still has 2.5 years left on his rookie contract.  Even if we don't win this week, it would still be good to get Geno 8 games with him so they get a head start on playing together for next season.

There's a risk with him and with a rookie.  

Gordon, obviously, gets suspended for a year with his next strike.  But the kid can flat-out play, and he can play right now (plus he should only get better as long as he isn't suspended).  

A rookie - no matter how great he is at the collegiate level - may never be able to play at this level; if he can, there's no guarantee he will be a real playmaker; if he's a real playmaker there's no guarantee he can be a consistent performer; if he's consistent he's still unlikely to be so for 2-3 years.

It's a risk either way, but count me in the camp that would risk a 2nd & a late pick or an expendable player on him.  Hell, we used a 2nd (and a 5th and a 7th) on Stephen Hill knowing he was going to be a project for 2-3 years.

Nick Barlotta ‏@NickBarlottaFN 17m

I am now hearing deal between Jets and Browns is very close to done..Jets have 2 picks on table.... Deal of course regarding josh Gordon...

The way the bucs are playing and REVIS is playing, the JETS should have an early 3rd round pick. probably the 1 pick in the 3rd.JETS aint going to superbowl this year. and thats my goal and hope. Playoffs isnt good enough. I say keep them all. YOUTH seems to trump veteran experience. the way the JETS been drafting these past 2 -3 years. the future looks good. DEPTH is the name of the game in the NFL.

Another good game from Gordon.

4 catches, 123 yards & a TD.  Kid's a 6'4" playmaker WR even with these nobodies at QB.

If the team likes him enough to get him, then get him.  He's not a 1-year fix, where you're picking up someone who needs a new contract in February or March.  He still has 2.5 years left on his rookie contract.  Even if we don't win this week, it would still be good to get Geno 8 games with him so they get a head start on playing together for next season.

There's a risk with him and with a rookie.  

Gordon, obviously, gets suspended for a year with his next strike.  But the kid can flat-out play, and he can play right now (plus he should only get better as long as he isn't suspended).  

A rookie - no matter how great he is at the collegiate level - may never be able to play at this level; if he can, there's no guarantee he will be a real playmaker; if he's a real playmaker there's no guarantee he can be a consistent performer; if he's consistent he's still unlikely to be so for 2-3 years.

It's a risk either way, but count me in the camp that would risk a 2nd & a late pick or an expendable player on him.  Hell, we used a 2nd (and a 5th and a 7th) on Stephen Hill knowing he was going to be a project for 2-3 years.

how could a 2nd round pick be a project. a 2nd round pick should be a starter and contributor from the door. a later round  pick i could see be a project in the making, but not a 2nd. Hill is looking like  another K. WIlson pick. borderline bust. LETS keep it real.

how could a 2nd round pick be a project. a 2nd round pick should be a starter and contributor from the door. a later round  pick i could see be a project in the making, but not a 2nd. Hill is looking like  another K. WIlson pick. borderline bust. LETS keep it real.

By your standard the majority of 2nd round picks are busts

Keep what real? There are FIRST round picks that are projects, drafted because of their (theoretical) potential and super-high ceiling.  Some pan out and some do not.  Thus far, Hill has not.  But it takes some guys a bit of time to get going at this level.

I like using a 2nd on a guy who is a sure thing to be able to perform at a HIGH level as a pro instead of a big maybe.  Especially since Gordon doesn't need a new contract until the 2016 season.

Keep what real? There are FIRST round picks that are projects, drafted because of their (theoretical) potential and super-high ceiling.  Some pan out and some do not.  Thus far, Hill has not.  But it takes some guys a bit of time to get going at this level.

I like using a 2nd on a guy who is a sure thing to be able to perform at a HIGH level as a pro instead of a big maybe.  Especially since Gordon doesn't need a new contract until the 2016 season

I wouldnt trade the JETS future  for Gordon. JETS are going to have a 1st 2nd and 2 good 3rd picks. Jets are not going to the superbowl this year. i dont know about u but im not just happy making the playoffs, i want a championship. I was born the last time the JETS made / won a superbowl 40+ years ago.  ITS about building a team that can bring home the trophy, not make playoffs and get bumped off.

By your standard the majority of 2nd round picks are busts

Not really, If u look at my posts last year, I was big on Antonio Allen as a 7th round pick. a project that was gonna be a baller and starter by 2-3 years. Damario was a 3rd and i said he has potential. Im just saying a 1st and 2nd round should be showing some promist there rookie year, or the odds are against them making it in this level. its almost a proven fact. there are some late bloomers but not many.

Yeah, you clearly didn't read my post.  

Liking a trade for Gordon has little to do with this year beyond getting him & Geno an extra half- season playing together.  The whole point of my post, if you had bothered to read any of it, was that he doesn't need a new contract until 2016 and that he is NOT a guy you're renting for a year before he hits free agency.

You trade for Gordon if you believe he can be a long-term solution as the team's WR1, or if he is more likely to be so than someone else drafted in the middle of round 2 of the upcoming draft (and even then, if that guy is special, and even if he's special, if he becomes so within 3 years of being drafted).

Archived