Surprise: Santonio Holmes Not Expected to Play

flgreen

Santonio Holmes not expected to play
horizontal_fancred_white_73x22.png

BY JOE SORIANO - 

OCT 23RD, 2013 AT 1:10 PM
7614004-590x392.jpg

New York Jets No. 1 WR Santonio Holmes probably won’t be the No. 1 WR much longer with the way both he and Jeremy Kerley seem to be trending, and Holmes remains one of the most frustrating players in the game. He has plenty of talent, but he never seems to care or be able to consistently put together that talent. He’s also suffered several injuries lately, and he has been slow to heal on all of them. The New York Post’s Brian Costello reports that the Jets “don’t expect” Santonio Holmes to play against the Cincinnati Bengals this week, and the timing of this report is extremely interesting.

Holmes suffered a hamstring injury in Week 4, and the 29-year-old hasn’t played since. However, he did start to practice this week, so it’s interesting to see that Holmes still isn’t expected to play despite getting back on the practice field. The Jets have a bye week in Week 9 before facing a division rival in the Buffalo Bills the week after, so maybe the fact that there is a bye week coming up is incentive for Holmes to take another week off and rest up through the bye.

There is little doubt that Holmes continues to be a disappointment, and it’s come to the point where Jets fans are no longer disappointed by his lack of production or inability to get on the field; their expectations are just that low at this point. Still, he is averaging 60 yards per game this season, so the talent does have a knack for showing up in spurts. But consistency is key at the WR position, and the majority of his receiving yards this season came in one game, against extremely weak competition.

Jets have a bye in Week 10. Holmes would be taking off the Saints game, too.

Bank on it

He knows he is going to be cut next year so he has to have something in his resume' for this year.  He didn't want to play against the  tough teams with a rookie QB, so he figured he'd take a bunch of games off, then fatten up his stats against weaker teams after the bye

$8,250,000 saved

Cap hit of over $10,000,000 if he stays

Bye Bum

Wow. Welker got a 2 year/$12 m contract with a $4m bonus, so.... yeah, gimme that cap space! I guess we will have somewhere in the vicinity of $25-$30m to spend between Revis, Holmes and Sanchez money.

Holmes is done, not just as a Jet but done, unfortunately that foot injury will finish him. He's made a lot of $ from the Jets, with little production.

Holmes as played a handful of games in two years. He's also a diva and poor team player. Idzik is doing a great job undoing Tanny's Legacy the second big millstone from round our necks.

Wow. Welker got a 2 year/$12 m contract with a $4m bonus, so.... yeah, gimme that cap space! I guess we will have somewhere in the vicinity of $25-$30m to spend between Revis, Holmes and Sanchez money.

Cro also has 15M cap number and a 9.5M savings if cut.  I'd expect to see that, if not a major paycut/restructure.

Think your going to like this.    The current cap # is just about 122 m.   If I'm reading it right, according to Jason's site the Jets are committed to $100,778,209 in salary for 2014.  That leaves them right now,$ 21,221,791 under the cap.  Holmes saves $8,250,000 and Sanchez saves $8,300,000.  That should leave the Jets  $37,771,791 under the cap.

Cool

Think your going to like this.    The current cap # is just about 122 m.   If I'm reading it right, according to Jason's site the Jets are committed to $100,778,209 in salary for 2014.  That leaves them right now,$ 21,221,791 under the cap.  Holmes saves $8,250,000 and Sanchez saves $8,300,000.  That should leave the Jets  $37,771,791 under the cap.

Cool

And as I said, it's very unlikely they carry Cro at 15M for the year.  That number will come way down, or they'll cut him.

And as I said, it's very unlikely they carry Cro at 15M for the year.  That number will come way down, or they'll cut him.

I didn't include Cro because I hope they are going to renegotiate with him.  His current cap hit is over 15 million.   If they release him it saves another 9.5 million.

WOW

Edit:  Sorry i didn't see you had already pointed that out

Next year is going to define Idzik's legacy.  

Is he going to go all in with Smith?  Or is he going to draft another QB early?

What is he going to do with 45 million dollars?

At this point, I think Smith has shown enough, and their record is/will be good enough, that a 1st round QB isn't likely.

I think they'll still take one relatively early, but we're likely out of the conversation for any of the top guys, so I hope they add a WR or TE.

Think your going to like this. The current cap # is just about 122 m. If I'm reading it right, according to Jason's site the Jets are committed to $100,778,209 in salary for 2014. That leaves them right now,$ 21,221,791 under the cap. Holmes saves $8,250,000 and Sanchez saves $8,300,000. That should leave the Jets $37,771,791 under the cap.

Cool

Cutting David Harris gets them to $50m under, IIRC.

Cutting David Harris gets them to $50m under, IIRC.

I guess the real question is how do we spend all that cheese. Who are our big free agents we need to resign? I think the draft will fill the need for some offensive weapons but that isn't gonna fill all our needs. We need a WR TE Safeties another corner if we cut Cro, a lot of money but also a lot of holes.

that #86 kid brings an energy level to the team that we haven't had since the Flight Crew Days. Now if only Hill would start being more consistent, no let me rephrase that KEEP being consistent we could actually have a receiving crew when Winslow gets back along with Cumberland, we could be pretty dangerous. I thought Holmes might actually WANT to be a part of something potentially great this year.

We NEED this win vs Cincy this week, this is the biggest game of the year for these Jets. Will they be a meh .500 team or a playoff team with a chance to be great. It all starts Sunday

I am no fan of Santonio Holmes, but being at the Tennessee game and seeing him interacting with the offense on the bench during the game, he does want to win.   After Geno's first pick in the first quarter, he brought the entire offense over for a pep talk.  Granted it didn't do any good. After seeing that display in person,  I can say he does want to help out and win.   I think he just really hates the media, like Bart Scott.  Also, I cannot stand when he points for a first down and drops the ball right in front of the ref.

I guess the real question is how do we spend all that cheese. Who are our big free agents we need to resign? I think the draft will fill the need for some offensive weapons but that isn't gonna fill all our needs. We need a WR TE Safeties another corner if we cut Cro, a lot of money but also a lot of holes.

I think we should be proactive and sign Wilkerson to a new deal.  Other than that, the cap space is free to use on outside resources.  I don't think Idzik spends all $50 million this offseason but he certainly has justification to use most of it.  After we take BPA with all our draft picks we'll still be in need of veteran players at WR, Safety, CB, and wherever else we don't get impact players in the draft. 

I don't know if we go after a pipe dream like, say, Jimmy Graham, but Idzik will have plenty of latitude to take a few risks.

Archived