Geno Smith gets NY Jets teammates to put in overtime

stoicsentry

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/geno-gang-green-teammates-put-ot-article-1.1494811

The critics said he had no work ethic and wasn't a good leader.

Even when Geno Smith and his receiving corps don’t have meetings scheduled, they still find themselves in the classroom, going over the passing game.

As the Jets’ rookie quarterback tries to acclimate to the NFL, he’s also learning about his wideouts, trying to catch up on building a relationship that more experienced quarterbacks might already have with their

receivers. Three times per week for roughly an hour, including on their Tuesday off day, the receivers and quarterbacks meet — no coaches, just players.

Smith started calling the meetings two or three weeks ago.

“Yeah I’d been talking to (quarterbacks coach David) Lee (about) just ways to get guys interactive. Get everyone involved,” Smith told the Daily News shortly after leaving one of these meetings Wednesday evening. “I think guys are better at knowing their roles when we’re able to get everyone involved.

“I just felt it was something that we all needed to do. I talk about us being on the same page, and a lot of times that happens on the field, but I think the more time we spend together, the more they get to understand the way I think and vice-versa,” the quarterback added.

The receivers and QBs go over film from practice, games or an opponent.

“We try and map out every single scenario vs. every single play that we have, it’s almost impossible to do, so at least we try,” Smith added.

The regular meetings help bring the group closer together on a personal level, too, which Smith said can directly translate to how they produce on the field.

“We get in there, we talk, we have fun, we laugh, but we also get a lot of work done,” he said. “I think that helped me out on the field then, because we were able to get on one another. If I know he should run this route and this depth, I can go to him and be like, you need to do this. It won’t be like, ‘Oh, I didn’t know,’ because we talked about it prior in the week.”

Smith said the receivers have bought in and were receptive to adding the additional film work to their schedule, with the same goal of building chemistry between the young quarterback and his largely youthful set of receivers.

Geno Smith says his receivers have bought in and are receptive to adding additional film work to their schedule.

“If you have no chemistry, I don’t know where you’d be,” Stephen Hill said.

Chemistry between receivers and a quarterback is a term that’s thrown around quite a bit, and wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal said it’s every bit as important as it’s made out to be.

“It’s real in the sense of, on some routes, where there’s more than one option, if a quarterback can read the body language of the receiver then they can be a tick ahead in terms of timing and anticipation,” Lal said.

That allows quarterbacks to not only make the throw before a receiver makes a cut to get open, but also to know that a move might still be coming.

“He might hold a tick longer on that route instead of coming off it because the guy looks like he’s buried when he’s actually just setting the guy up,” Lal added. “That’s where you can really develop chemistry.”

With receiver Jeremy Kerley, who caught six third-down conversions in last week’s 30-27 OT win over the Patriots, it appears to be working.

“It helps us out on the field because it’s kind of like a symbiotic relationship, he’s thinking one thing and I’m thinking the same,” Smith said of Kerley. “When we’re on the same page it’s kind of hard for defenses to stop us.”

So seven weeks into the season, where exactly is the chemistry between Smith and his wideouts?

“Just like Montana to Rice,” Lal joked.

Funny how a couple of good games change things, the media started the season with lots of digs about Geno. They had their anti Jet agenda, having a Q.B who can make plays really changes things. The guys still very raw but he's learning, I expect more bumps in the road but he's shown me things Sanchez could never do.

ive been critical of Geno but the pre-draft work ethic thing was a complete farce. This player has problems but work ethic is not one of em. 

I remember that rumor running rampant, even after it was immediately shot down by his head coach, offensive coordinator and other players. It's funny how many will ignore all first-hand reports of him being a film-nut with an incredible work ethic, but then latch on and parrot something negative by outsiders looking in.  I also think the knock on him for being unable to handle downs or negatives is being countered; not put to rest as there's still a lot of football to be played, but he's showing how even-keeled he is through everything.  As you said, he's still got a lot of things to work out, but his work ethic certainly isn't one of them, which is huge.

Archived