Revis vague on support of Shiano

GREENBEAN

There's blood in the waster down there in Tampa man. I feel for them and know it's probably being amplified to some degree by the media, but either way I can't help wondering if Revis regrets being such c0ck gobbler for all that time and realizes what the type of team he tried to hold hostage.

Greg Schiano's time in Tampa Bay is dwindling.

Silver: Inside the Bucs' sinking ship
0ap1000000234909.jpgHow bad is it in Tampa? "Like being in Cuba," says one ex-Buc. Michael Silverexplains why Greg Schiano doesn't fit in the NFL. READ

One of the main reasons behind the 0-7 team's implosion is the lack of locker room cohesion between the coach and his players. Schiano continues to claim everything is peachy,while we hear the opposite leak out almost daily.

After Thursday night's disheartening 31-13 loss to theCarolina PanthersBuccaneers cornerback Darrelle Revis was asked by WTVT-TV reporter Kevin O'Donnell if the team believed in the coaching staff.

"I don't know," Revis responded.

That isn't exactly a rousing response. Revis essentially punted on a chance to support the coach.

0ap2000000266543.jpg

"I don't know." Revis continued, per JoeBucsFan.com. "... I don't think guys are literally going out there and trying to do their own thing. You know, in every game there are mistakes up and down the board. You know, the word that we have to get to and we have to focus on is consistency. That's all. And at this point, that's a hard word for us to try to do, to try to do that, to be consistent."

One thing that has been consistent is the apparent malcontent streaming from the Bucs' locker room. When a veteran leader like Revis passes on a chance to support the coaching staff, even if it would have rung a bit hollow after the loss, it's telling.

Unfortunately, it's also not a surprise.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Schiano is an a$$hole.

Many players exclaim "Schiano is an a$$hole!"

Revis implies that Schiano is an a$$hole.

Jets fans: Revis is an a$$hole!

Yeah but Revis is the A$$hole we know best.

Is it a physical impossibility for there to be two a$$holes in one situation? 

Warren Sapp: Darrelle Revis 'has never been a team player'

by Brad Biggs

April 22, 02013

Print This

There is a state of excitement in Tampa for the arrival of Darrelle Revis but not everyone is on board the pirate ship after the blockbuster trade Sunday that acquired the shutdown cornerback from the New York Jets.

Warren Sapp, who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this summer, was lukewarm at best after the Bucs traded the 13th overall pick in Thursday night’s first round and a pick that will likely be a third rounder in 2014 for Revis.

He's selfish and he's never been a team player,” Sapp said, according to Ira Kaufman of the Tampa Tribune. “We didn't win the championship that way. Derrick Brooks and I always cared more about the team than ourselves.”

But ex-Bucs safety John Lynch, a teammate of Sapp’s, did like the move in a secondary that has already been bolstered by the signing of safety Dashon Goldson this offseason.

“I played with Champ Bailey in his prime (in Denver) and I know what a cornerback like Revis can do for a defense,'' Lynch said, according to Kaufman. “Like Champ, Revis is a guy who can neutralize No. 1 receivers, so you don't have to dedicate extra resources to stopping that guy. Darrelle Revis is a big-time football player. He's a game-changer.”

For $16 million per season – or $1 million per game – Revis better be a game changer because in the salary-cap world of the NFL he’s got a big piece of the pie.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs

Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune

Warren Sapp: Darrelle Revis 'has never been a team player'

by Brad Biggs

April 22, 02013

Print This

There is a state of excitement in Tampa for the arrival of Darrelle Revis but not everyone is on board the pirate ship after the blockbuster trade Sunday that acquired the shutdown cornerback from the New York Jets.

Warren Sapp, who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this summer, was lukewarm at best after the Bucs traded the 13th overall pick in Thursday night’s first round and a pick that will likely be a third rounder in 2014 for Revis.

He's selfish and he's never been a team player,” Sapp said, according to Ira Kaufman of the Tampa Tribune. “We didn't win the championship that way. Derrick Brooks and I always cared more about the team than ourselves.”

But ex-Bucs safety John Lynch, a teammate of Sapp’s, did like the move in a secondary that has already been bolstered by the signing of safety Dashon Goldson this offseason.

“I played with Champ Bailey in his prime (in Denver) and I know what a cornerback like Revis can do for a defense,'' Lynch said, according to Kaufman. “Like Champ, Revis is a guy who can neutralize No. 1 receivers, so you don't have to dedicate extra resources to stopping that guy. Darrelle Revis is a big-time football player. He's a game-changer.”

For $16 million per season – or $1 million per game – Revis better be a game changer because in the salary-cap world of the NFL he’s got a big piece of the pie.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs

Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune

Ya think?  The dude sat out the entire offseason and threatened to miss the entire season during a year the Jets were legit SB contenders.  There is nothing more selfish than that.  

F Darrelle Revis.  

Soon as the Bucs cut him....We're getting Revis back for 8-9 million a year, next year

I was thinking the same thing, if this Revis drama has proven one thing to the rest of the league it's that paying a CB (no matter how talented) elite QB money is just plain stupid. If the Bucs fire Schiano & the GM, Revis is a goner. The contract has no guaranteed money, and so it's the first the asset a new GM would look at terminating to make cap room in a rebuilding phase. If that happens, Revis may very well end up back in NY at much less money. I'd like for this to happen especially if the FO decides to go cut Cromartie and roll with Milliner and Revis in a hypothetical scenario. Realistically though, you know there's some team out there that is going to be foolish enough to give him something close to what he's getting now.

I was thinking the same thing, if this Revis drama has proven one thing to the rest of the league it's that paying a CB (no matter how talented) elite QB money is just plain stupid. If the Bucs fire Schiano & the GM, Revis is a goner. The contract has no guaranteed money, and so it's the first the asset a new GM would look at terminating to make cap room in a rebuilding phase. If that happens, Revis may very well end up back in NY at much less money. I'd like for this to happen especially if the FO decides to go cut Cromartie and roll with Milliner and Revis in a hypothetical scenario.

You know, I think this isn't too far-fetched either.  Revis would probably support the move because it gets him away from Schiano and into a system where he's used properly.  Then again, if they fire Schiano midseason all bets are off.

You know, I think this isn't too far-fetched either.  Revis would probably support the move because it gets him away from Schiano and into a system where he's used properly.  Then again, if they fire Schiano midseason all bets are off.

Well, if it's a situation where they just up and cut him or ask him to take a pay cut (lol) you know he's going to be gone, and a free agent for the first time in his career. If that happens, I think Revis has enough pride to want to go somewhere where he can have notoriety again; especially after Richard Sherman was essentially upstaging him while being on a good team while Revis is on an awful team and being misused.

Speaking of him being misused I was shaking my head last night to see that Revis was not locked onto Steve Smith on every play, I think in one sequence he had Smith on 1st and 2nd down, Schiano switched to zone on third and long and Smith got the first down catch while Revis was nowhere near him; absolutely ridiculous. It makes me think that either the GM was the one who wanted Revis and Schiano doesn't know how to use him, or that Schiano is so committed to his system that he doesn't care about how to get the best out of Revis.

Well, if it's a situation where they just up and cut him or ask him to take a pay cut (lol) you know he's going to be gone, and a free agent for the first time in his career. If that happens, I think Revis has enough pride to want to go somewhere where he can have notoriety again; especially after Richard Sherman was essentially upstaging him while being on a good team while Revis is on an awful team and being misused.

Speaking of him being misused I was shaking my head last night to see that Revis was not locked onto Steve Smith on every play, I think in one sequence he had Smith on 1st and 2nd down, Schiano switched to zone on third and long and Smith got the first down catch while Revis was nowhere near him; absolutely ridiculous. It makes me think that either the GM was the one who wanted Revis and Schiano doesn't know how to use him, or that Schiano is so committed to his system that he doesn't care about how to get the best out of Revis.

Yep.  Smith found the soft spot in the middle, there was no pressure on the QB, and away the Panthers went.  Schiano is one of the biggest NFL Head Coaching busts of all time.

What does Revis care?

$16,000,000

No state tax

Can put the top down on his Jag in December

Good times

Eventually there will be a time in his career when he'll wish he'd foregone some of the money to try to win a ring.  If he has any pride as a competitive athlete, that is.

Eventually there will be a time in his career when he'll wish he'd foregone some of the money to try to win a ring.  If he has any pride as a competitive athlete, that is.

At 38 he'll come back to the Jets as a FS.   Get Ronnie Lotts old jersey for the Super Bowl run

Not even about forgoing money in my opinion, there are other ways to make money as a star athlete, tax questions aside, I want to know if Revis would have made more money on the Jets if he accepted a 10 million dollar contract + endorsements for being a NY star athlete. I've never seen Revis on a single commercial or advertisement since he became a Buccaneer, maybe they have some local ones in Tampa, but I don't know.

You have to wonder what the situation in Tampa is doing to his psyche as a player, he has never been in the locker room of a losing team since his rookie season (last year he was injured and wasn't around the team presumably). Maybe he really is feeling some remorse about how things went down; if the things coming out of the Buccaneers locker room are true, forgoing a few million a year to spare myself that horror doesn't look to bad if I'm already set for life financially. But that's just me.

Not even about forgoing money in my opinion, there are other ways to make money as a star athlete, tax questions aside, I want to know if Revis would have made more money on the Jets if he accepted a 10 million dollar contract + endorsements for being a NY star athlete. I've never seen Revis on a single commercial or advertisement since he became a Buccaneer, maybe they have some local ones in Tampa, but I don't know.

You have to wonder what the situation in Tampa is doing to his psyche as a player, he has never been in the locker room of a losing team since his rookie season (last year he was injured and wasn't around the team presumably). Maybe he really is feeling some remorse about how things went down; if the things coming out of the Buccaneers locker room are true, forgoing a few million a year to spare myself that horror doesn't look to bad if I'm already set for life financially. But that's just me.

That equation of being a NY star athlete really doesn't work.  In today's market  the big money is in national, and even international marketing.  How you get the big endorsements nationally  is winning a championship.

Look at the national ads.  How many Jets do you see?  

That equation of being a NY star athlete really doesn't work.  In today's market  the big money is in national, and even international marketing.  How you get the big endorsements nationally  is winning a championship.

Look at the national ads.  How many Jets do you see?  

Come on now.  How many Jets deserve a national sponsorship contract? 

You're right though.  It's all about Peyton, Eli, Drew, Aaron and Tom.  And Eli better not spend all that cash cuz his well is gonna dry up the way things are going.  Notice there are no CBs on that list. 

Archived