Jonathan Vilma career over?

joewilly12

Saints placed ILB Jonathan Vilma (knee) on injured reserve, ending his season.

That was quick. Vilma, who was coming off a knee scope, was just activated off short-term IR ahead of Week 9. It appears that the joint didn't respond well to the activity. Now 31 years old, it's possible that the three-time Pro Bowler is at the end of the line. His left knee has been bothering him since the beginning of the 2011 season. Vilma was just going to be a part time 'backer anyway.

That sucks. I loved Vilma when he was here. Too bad he didn't fit the system.

Meh, he's a dickhead for making a deliberate effort to screw over the Jets on that trade.  And I don't buy any of the excuses of him just trying to help out his own team, there's such a good thing as acting/negotiating in good faith and that certainly didn't come close to happening.

Meh, he's a dickhead for making a deliberate effort to screw over the Jets on that trade.  And I don't buy any of the excuses of him just trying to help out his own team, there's such a good thing as acting/negotiating in good faith and that certainly didn't come close to happening.

Look, these guys have a very limited career and very short prime earning time. Now i didn't think Vilma was all that here(may be wehen the system changed especially), but he seemed to be a good fit with the Saints.This isn't like Revis; Vilma was leaving the Jets no matter what, kind of hard to fault a guy for making it work for him.  He is entitled to play the system to make as much as he can. The owners certainly do.

Look, these guys have a very limited career and very short prime earning time. Now i didn't think Vilma was all that here(may be wehen the system changed especially), but he seemed to be a good fit with the Saints.This isn't like Revis; Vilma was leaving the Jets no matter what, kind of hard to fault a guy for making it work for him.  He is entitled to play the system to make as much as he can. The owners certainly do.

That sounds great in theory, but the problem with that is it simply doesn't apply in this case; what he did had absolutely nothing to do with how much he got paid, but everything to do with deliberately screwing over the team who drafted him.  In the end it's not a particularly huge deal, I just think he's kind of a dick for it.

Systems should fit the PLAYERS not the other way around. Any good coach will revamp or modify his system if it does not fit his players.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your position, there are two things to consider here when looking at that Jets situation:

1)  Mangini was an idiot and an awful defensive coach.

2)  Even still, keep in mind that the Jets 2005 defense was pretty mediocre and with Abraham getting traded as soon as Mangini and Tanny took over, Vilma was the only player worth a damn who didn't really fit the new system (DRob was crap either way, so he wasn't going to sway any opinions).

Farrior didn't fit the system Parcells drafted him for?  Pray tell...

Systems should fit the PLAYERS not the other way around. Any good coach will revamp or modify his system if it does not fit his players.

See above. We drafted the guy and he was on the pine.  

While I don't necessarily disagree with your position, there are two things to consider here when looking at that Jets situation:

1)  Mangini was an idiot and an awful defensive coach.

2)  Even still, keep in mind that the Jets 2005 defense was pretty mediocre and with Abraham getting traded as soon as Mangini and Tanny took over, Vilma was the only player worth a damn who didn't really fit the new system (DRob was crap either way, so he wasn't going to sway any opinions).

DRob might have been okay as a 3-4 DE.  Probably not long enough, but still he filled in admirably.  I agree when you have a crappy team and are gutting it, that is the time to make the players fit the system.  Not when you have a very good team and you give up a promising tackle to get the Texans to take your two excellent cover corners so you can play the cover who.  Ugh.

See above. We drafted the guy and he was on the pine.  

Considering he was the 8th overall pick, they sure didn't give him any burn during his time with the Jets.  Must of had splinters coming out of his ass.  As soon as he joined the Steelers he went on to be a tackling and sack machine.  Runner up to Reed as the league's defensive player of the year in '04, too.

Archived