Cancerous Douche Holmes acknowledges his status as DOA cock

T0mShane

New and improved Santonio Holmes could be NY Jets answer in playoff run

By Manish Mehta

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1513742

Santonio Holmes let down his seemingly impenetrable guard a couple weeks ago for just a few moments. For the first time in a long time, he sounded human, not angry or bitter or fed up dealing with people who were surely going to bend his words to fit their own pre-determined narratives. “To have years like this and last year that are limiting (my) opportunity to help this team, (is) really challenging,” Holmes said.

He has been painted as the team villain for more than two years. A well-respected teammate once told me that Holmes was a “cancer” and that being around him was “like dealing with a 10-year-old.”

Holmes despises reporters. From the moment he proclaimed to me after an offseason workout in Florida two years ago that “the media don’t make me and the media don’t break me,” I knew that he genuinely didn’t care about his image. He just wanted to catch footballs, win games and be left alone.

“He is really misunderstood,” wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal told the Daily News. “I can honestly say that.”

Holmes still hates people like me (especially me), but the injuries that have robbed him of much of the past year and a half have given him perspective and made him a better teammate. He’s expected to return this week from a nagging hamstring injury that sidelined him for five games, a welcome sight for a team in the thick of the wildcard race.

“He has been a model citizen so far,” a Jets insider said. “Besides, we need him.”

Only Holmes, 29, truly knows whether he is a changed man from the petulant version of himself that symbolized the team’s dysfunction two years ago. Mark Sanchez reached his boiling point during a players-only film session with quarterbacks and wide receivers after Holmes became disinterested in watching plays that didn’t involve him in the run-up to the crucial 2011 season finale against the Dolphins. According to people in the room, Sanchez shouted at Holmes, “If you don’t like it, get the f--- out!”

Holmes left.

“If you don’t know him, you’d think he’s not a good guy,” said right guard Willie Colon, who played four seasons with Holmes in Pittsburgh. “But if you do know him, he’s very cerebral.”

Holmes resides on Planet Tone (population: 1), a bizarre place where misinterpretation runs rampant. He may have good intentions, but his inability to clearly convey his thoughts and channel his sometimes warranted frustrations have been a springboard to controversies in his four seasons with the Jets.

Last month, Holmes’ admission that “I can’t throw it to myself and catch it. Otherwise I would” landed him on the Daily News back page with the headline: “Tone Loco.” The next morning, Lal walked up to Holmes and asked him to autograph the paper. They both laughed.

“I’m not saying that he’s handled it the best way, because I don’t know,” Lal said. “But I’m saying that it comes from a good place… and maybe that’s why he and I connect. Because I know it’s not B.S. He genuinely wants the ball because he knows he can make a difference.”

Lal has helped Holmes’ transformation more than anyone in the building, thanks, in part, to their shared love for the technical aspects of playing the position. Holmes is a stickler for details. He has become a player-coach during his rehab, reinforcing teaching points to younger wideouts.

“When we’re watching DBs in our (film) room,” Lal said, “we’re like, ‘Man, we can run this route or that route on him.’ Like any competitor, he thinks, ‘I want to play so I can turn that guy in circles and catch 10 balls on him.’ ”

Holmes is unquestionably the team’s best receiving option, but there’s plenty of debate about his ranking among his position in the league. The statistical narrative is much different than the story your eyes tell you when Holmes is on the field.

He has averaged only 3.6 receptions and 52.4 yards with 19 touchdowns in 39 games with the Jets. He’s never made a Pro Bowl and has had only one 1,000-yard season in his eight-year career. Holmes’ four-catch, 73-yard performance on the Steelers’ game-winning Super Bowl drive five years ago gave him a reputation as a clutch performer, but look closer: He has averaged only 2.7 catches and 45.2 yards in his six other playoff games. Holmes has missed one-third of the Jets’ games (21 of 60) due to suspension and injury. He’s had fewer than 30 receiving yards in an eye-opening 33% of his games played for Rex Ryan. Holmes, of course, has been part of run-centric offenses.

“What if he’s in Green Bay?” Lal said. “We might be saying he’s a Top-10 receiver scoring three touchdowns every week. I don’t know. But he’s extremely talented. He’s competitive. He’s a great route runner…. In his heart, he’s selfish in a good way, because he knows his wanting the ball will help the team.”

People close to Holmes say the receiver has accepted the idea that he will almost certainly be released after this season. Holmes took a $3.5 million pay cut after missing the bulk of last season due to a LisFranc foot injury, but it makes no financial sense to keep him around in 2014, when he is due to count $10.75 million against the salary cap. The Jets are expected to release him before he’s due a $1 million roster bonus in March. The team will save $8.25 million after parting ways with him. In the meantime, they both need each other.

Maybe the man of mystery can be the missing piece for a magical season.

guys like megatron, fitzgerald  and many others want he ball as well but you dont hear them talk about other players on the team.  everybody wants those guys on their team people will go after holmes for a quick fix no long term f___ him

Whatever man. He threw the ball back into the field of play when he got hurt because he has no presence of anything other than himself.   I don't care what anyone says. Holmes needs to go.  I hope he catches a bunch of Td's and helps us into the playoffs this season, but would still cut him immediately following. 

Misunderstood.

There's a stat out there about Holmes, that he has most game winning catches by either TD or putting his team in FG range, in the league.  Cant find it.  Might be making it up because I love him but almost 99% certain its true.  So dont get knocking him for not being clutch...but sure, he's played for run first defensive teams in his career, so those stats dont surprise me.

Anyway, cant wait to get him back.  Miss him.  He's a great player and a leader.  He makes the team better. 

That was actually a positive article.

o.0

He has averaged only 3.6 receptions and 52.4 yards with 19 touchdowns in 39 games with the Jets. He’s never made a Pro Bowl and has had only one 1,000-yard season in his eight-year career. Holmes’ four-catch, 73-yard performance on the Steelers’ game-winning Super Bowl drive five years ago gave him a reputation as a clutch performer, but look closer: He has averaged only 2.7 catches and 45.2 yards in his six other playoff games. Holmes has missed one-third of the Jets’ games (21 of 60) due to suspension and injury. He’s had fewer than 30 receiving yards in an eye-opening 33% of his games played for Rex Ryan. Holmes, of course, has been part of run-centric offenses.

Misunderstood.

There's a stat out there about Holmes, that he has most game winning catches by either TD or putting his team in FG range, in the league. Cant find it. Might be making it up because I love him but almost 99% certain its true. So dont get knocking him for not being clutch...but sure, he's played for run first defensive teams in his career, so those stats dont surprise me.

Anyway, cant wait to get him back. Miss him. He's a great player and a leader. He makes the team better.

Troll trolltrolltroll. Troll? Troll TROLL! Troll trolltrolltroll troll. ¿Tróll? Troll. Trolltrolltroll.

Troll trolltrolltroll. Troll? Troll TROLL! Troll trolltrolltroll troll. ¿Tróll? Troll. Trolltrolltroll.

Not true.  You read the article.  His coaches, teammates, all say he's misunderstood.  You read all the offseason articles about him mentoring the younger receivers, that he's a beast in the meetings/tape sessions...but thats not what people want to hear.  He yelled at Mark Sanchez for choking away the season in the huddle.  OH NOES!!!  

Holmes is a villain.  He's the person, narrow minded individuals can point to and say, see THUG!!!  When really, he's a philanthropist.  So he likes weed?  Who doesnt?

Not true. You read the article. His coaches, teammates, all say he's misunderstood. You read all the offseason articles about him mentoring the younger receivers, that he's a beast in the meetings/tape sessions...but thats not what people want to hear. He yelled at Mark Sanchez for choking away the season in the huddle. OH NOES!!!

Holmes is a villain. He's the person, narrow minded individuals can point to and say, see THUG!!! When really, he's a philanthropist. So he likes weed? Who doesnt?

He's a pariah everywhere he goes. This locker room said nice things about Vernon Gholston. GFY

Last month, Holmes’ admission that “I can’t throw it to myself and catch it. Otherwise I would” landed him on the Daily News back page with the headline: “Tone Loco.”

This is terrible reporting by Manish. But the fact that Manish is a terrible reporter should comes as news to no one.

Anyway, it was Manish's paper (if not Manish himself) that originally ran this quote which was grossly out of context. For Manish to quote this without correcting the record is just plain irresponsible and, again, evidence that he is an awful reporter.

The full quote:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/10/03/santonio-holmes-geno-smith-cant-throw-it-to-myself/2919071/

"It's the offense's job," Holmes said Thursday. "I can't throw it to myself and catch it, otherwise I would. I just have to do my part, which is the position that I'm playing, which is primary 'X' receiver and a lot of times you get double-covered, get taken out of the play.

"The progression and the reads from the quarterback have to go elsewhere."

Kinda changes the whole tone of the quote, doesn't it? Apparently it didn't fit Manish's agenda to provide the full statement.

o.0

Positive in regards to his attitude. Your NYPost-like title was not reflective of the article's contents. Not that that's surprising, either. 

Yes, his production is low, but is that because Holmes sucks, or the offense sucks? He had the teams' second most receiving yards, and most receiving yards, respectively, in 2010 and 2011. In 2010, he only appeared in 12 games. Hopefully he chooses to selfishly shine the rest of the season. The team could use him.

Positive in regards to his attitude. Your NYPost-like title was not reflective of the article's contents. Not that that's surprising, either.

Yes, his production is low, but is that because Holmes sucks, or the offense sucks? He had the teams' second most receiving yards, and most receiving yards, respectively, in 2010 and 2011. In 2010, he only appeared in 12 games. Hopefully he chooses to selfishly shine the rest of the season. The team could use him.

I don't think his production is low. I think his production is in line with what he's done his entire career.

As far as his attitude, spare me. TO was absolutely beloved by a lot of his teammates everywhere he went.

I don't think his production is low. I think his production is in line with what he's done his entire career.

As far as his attitude, spare me. TO was absolutely beloved by a lot of his teammates everywhere he went.

You spare no one, therefore you will not be spared. 

T.O. caught 9 passes for 122 yards in a near Super Bowl victory over the Pats.  With Donovan McNabb as his quarterback.  Two years prior, he caught 9 passes for 177 yards and 2 TD's in a playoff victory over the Giants, with Jeff Garcia as his quarterback.  No wonder they loved him in spite of his many personality disorders.

I'll take productivity first, especially with the lack of weapons we have.  His attitude becomes pretty irrelevant when Greg Salas, David Nelson and Zach Sudfeld were Geno's primary receiving options just 2 weeks ago.

Next year, we cut him and bring in a bunch of new receivers.  But right now we need him, like it or not.

Archived