Rex Risks Losing Team With Geno Decision

flgreen

Rex risks losing team with Geno decision

November, 24, 2013

NOV 24

7:58

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

BALTIMORE -- In a strange way, the New York Jets are suffering from their early success. If they started out like everyone expected, struggling in Year 1 of GM John Idzik's grand rebuilding plan, Geno Smith's issues would be considered normal growing pains for a rookie quarterback -- on-the-job training with a learning curve.

But the Jets ruined that narrative by playing their way into postseason contention, raising expectations. And now they have a serious problem because Smith is bringing down the team, and the locker room is losing confidence and patience, judging from what was said -- and not said -- after Sunday's brutal 19-3 loss to the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium.

Coach Rex Ryan is caught between a rookie and hard place. He needs wins to save his job, but he risks losing his locker room if he sticks with Smith, who delivered yet another stinker -- three more turnovers, bringing his total to 23.

Ryan should stick with Smith for another week, if only because going to backup Matt Simms would be akin to a Hail Mary. Chances are, Ryan will opt for the status quo, but he wasn't ready to go there after the game, letting Smith twist in the wind -- and there was plenty of wind in Baltimore.

For the first time, Ryan refused to commit to Smith as next week's starter, falling back on the I-have-to-watch-the-tape answer -- the oldest line in the coaching handbook.

"I'm not going to talk about one individual," he said. "That's not where I'm at tonight."

You could read a lot into Ryan's noncommittal stance, but it doesn't mean he's done with Smith. He answered the same way during some of Mark Sanchez's epic struggles, only to stick with him as his starter.

For what it's worth, Smith remained undaunted. Asked whether he still believes he's the guy to take the Jets to the playoffs, he replied confidently: "I know I am."

That's how you want your quarterback to respond, but this isn't about words, it's about deeds -- and Smith is immersed in a serious funk. One touchdown pass and 10 interceptions over the past six games won't inspire confidence among teammates. The frustration was palpable in the postgame locker room.

No one publicly criticized Smith, but the confidence is waning. The coaches have simplified game plans to help him, vexing some players who believe it's hurting the overall offense.

Geno Smith says he is the guy to take the Jets to the playoffs.

Guard Willie Colon, fiercely supportive of Smith after last week's debacle against the Buffalo Bills, refused to address the possibility of a quarterback change.

"You're going to make me curse ... so next question," he said.

Santonio Holmes turned defensive when asked about Smith.

"Why would I do that? Why would I blame it on our starting quarterback?" the wide receiver snapped. "Next question."

There were some supportive comments, but no one offered a strident endorsement of Smith, not even Ryan.

"He's had better days," said Ryan, whose offense produced a season-low 220 yards and went 1-for-12 on third down.

It's hard to be worse than Smith, which is the campaign platform of the pro-Simms contingent.

The Jets (5-6) tried to win this game without a quarterback. Well, not exactly, but they ran so much Wildcat in the first quarter that you wondered whether Marty Mornhinweg had scrapped his West Coast offense in favor of the single wing.

They tried to pull a Georgia Southern. Unfortunately for them, the Ravens (5-6) refused to play the role of Florida.

The Jets used the Wildcat on four of the first 11 snaps, including Josh Cribbs' 13-yard completion to Smith, of all people. All told, they ran eight Wildcat plays, trying to minimize Smith as much as possible. It looked like the coaches had more confidence in Cribbs throwing than Smith.

Smith completed only 9 of 22 passes for 127 yards, padding his total (if you can call it that) with some concession yardage in garbage time. The truth is, he was 4-for-15 for 42 through the first 56 minutes.

His final passer rating was 22.3.

A week ago, it was 10.1.

The 50 Greatest Jets

Drawn from more than five decades of history, ESPN New York presents its 50 Greatest Jets. Top 50 Photo Gallery  Rank 'Em

"Everybody wants to put a new quarterback in, and I understand that," Smith said. "I'm not worried about anything other than trying to get better as a player. I'm not going to sit here and say I'm 100 percent secure, because every single person in this locker room has to prove himself daily. That's the way we work around here."

Smith said he's "very hot and cold." Problem is, he hasn't been hot since that starry night in Atlanta two months ago. The offense has managed only one touchdown in its past 31 possessions with him at quarterback, resulting in the Jets' first set of consecutive losses. They could've played all night without reaching the Ravens' end zone.

Aside from the usual array of errant passes and happy-feet movements in the pocket, the most alarming play was the lost fumble -- an embarrassing play in which Nick Mangold's shotgun snap ricocheted off a receiver in motion, Greg Salas.

Smith never actually touched the ball, but the fumble was credited to him. No one blamed him for the blunder; it seemed obvious. Mangold said he simply snapped on Smith's command. That Smith was oblivious to Salas in motion speaks to a lack of awareness.

"I've gone eight years without that play happening," Mangold said. "I think it happened maybe once in college. Obviously, it's a rarity, but it's devastating when it happens."

Bad things keep happening to the Jets, and "we're out of lifelines," Colon said.

Maybe not. Ryan can poll his audience. If he does, it wouldn't end favorably for Smith.

D'Alessandro: What Rex Ryan really wants to say about Geno Smith. . . is unprintable.

Dave D'Alessandro/Star-Ledger Columnist By Dave D'Alessandro/Star-Ledger Columnist

on November 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM, updated November 25, 2013 at 12:38 AM

D'Alessandro: What Rex Ryan really wants to say about Geno Smith. . . is unprintable.

BALTIMORE – So somebody inquired whether Geno Smith is still the guy to lead the Jets’ charge to the postseason, and Rex Ryan replied after an inaudible gulp, “As I’ve said before, we’ll look at the tape. I’m not going to talk about one individual.”

Sounds like the general really wants to plant his flag here, doesn’t he?

This was a typical afternoon on the road for Rex’s offense – another defensive brawl engaged, blood spilt, battlefield rent asunder, followed by the calm of knowing that it was utterly pointless, since the coach still hasn’t a clue whether Geno can deal with a job that consumes him more often these days

You can quantify it any way you choose – this time, the rook was 9-for-22 for 127 yards, 85 of those yards in the last two drives of a 60-minute chloroform bath – but nothing happened during the Ravens’ 19-3 rout that gave Ryan any kind of hope that Geno is making progress.

So Rex shovels meaningless phrases and contrives phantom excuses – he kept bringing up the subject of dropped passes, but we counted only three, or two fewer than Baltimore’s total – and then he hopes you’re polite enough to drop the subject.

“He’s had better days,” the coach finally said of Geno. “The two interceptions. . .you’re trying to throw it up there and give your guy a chance to make the play. If not, it’s almost like a punt.”

Actually, both of Geno’s interceptions were underthrown, launched from inside Ravens territory (at the 42 and the 28), so it was nothing like a punt. It was just Geno, overmatched as usual, and sure, sabotaged a bit by a group of receivers who are showing signs of teammates who have lost faith in their leader.

But it may have occurred to you that this is now Rex’s default position: Expect little, settle for a little less, stall for time. Also: Never concede that the QB is the focal point of the offense, even if that’s the case in every other NFL city.

And it occurs to you: What else can a coach say at this point?

He has a kid who put up video game stats in college, playing in a QB-friendly system that really didn’t require a sage head or a pro skill set, since every college defense has a max of one good cornerback.

So Marty Mornhinweg, a superb QB coach, spoon-feeds Geno a sophisticated West Coast offense, and doesn’t even give him the whole field to worry about. But since he’s got a rookie’s pocket awareness and a substandard release, he vacillates between passable and deplorable, and the rest of us are forced to have to live with turnovers.

It starts with better execution by me, the quarterback.'' -- Geno Smith

Rex can’t say that, as much as he’d like shout it all from the nearest rooftop. So five times he said that he has to visit the tape room before offering a cogent opinion.

We’ve seen Geno enough to know he cares, that he’s a worker, and he’s practiced in clichés such as, “It starts with better execution by me, the quarterback.”

For as long as he has the job, anyway.

But he’s really the only option at this point. Rex would tell you that himself, but we have a suspicion that he’s not exactly cognizant of whether his QB can uphold the faith -- an accusation made here before. Indeed, we’re still not sure he watches the offense at all: He didn’t know anything about a fumbled snap in the third period, noting that he'd like to (what else) consult tape, and then concluded, “It’s probably not a good thing.”

Sure, if Rex is preoccupied with preparing the next defensive series, that’s not a terrible use of his time, because the defense was terrific again. Joe Flacco started four drives in Jets territory – at the 18, 33, 31, and 49 – and the Ravens came away with three points.

But Ryan’s less-that-artful dodge about quarterback play proves what we’ve been saying for three years now: He doesn’t care about offense, never will. For this head coach, offense still represents an inconvenience, a department where you swap out your OC every 12 months. And when you factor in a weak quarterback, it gives Ryan license to ignore it.

So as long as he knows he can’t win with Geno or Mark Sanchez, Rex accepts it, plays around it, and hopes somebody – anybody -- can manage the game until he can get his defense back on the field.

Only this isn’t so much game management as it is orchestrated bedlam.

The media will pile on for a while, and start rattling about a QB switch. If you ask the players about it, you get rolled eyes. This remark from guard Willie Colon was typical: “You’re going to make me curse, so next question,” he said. “I’m trying not to curse.”

Curses make a good videotape soundtrack, we hear.

The thing that i dont get is why they have minimized the playbook the first 3 quarters (or how long it takes for us too loose)? How does it help him learn/adjust to nfl?? Either let him play like in the beginnig of the year or bench him. I thought that this year was about to find out if Geno is a nfl qb or not so we know if we need to invest big time next draft or not.

We might win a few more games by playing it safe but who cares in the long run?! This IS a rebuild year.

I haven't given up on him just yet. Kind of hard if they keep him in such a tight leach.

Rex didn't make the decision to start Geno in Sept and he's not making the decision to bench him now. It has to come from Idzik. Cause that's who decides who the QB is on this team. 

If that's true the Jets are in a lot more trouble then the fact that Smith sucks

Smith is bringing down the team, and the locker room is losing confidence and patience,

No one publicly criticized Smith

Santonio Holmes turned defensive when asked about Smith. "Why would I do that? Why would I blame it on our starting quarterback?" the wide receiver snapped. "Next question."

"He's had better days," said Ryan

I don't know, maybe Cimini has a point here... it sounds like the Jets have really turned against Geno. :lololol:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000222112/article/new-york-jets-will-decide-qb-together-john-idzik-says

when the GM says he and the HC will decide the QB "together" and that GM also decides whether or not the HC gets a new contract... it's not really a joint decision. 

So the QB is terrible and needs to be benched, but if he's not, it's not Rex's fault? I'm shocked!

This harkens to last season all over again when Sanchez was so bad Rex turned to McElroy was just as bad, if not worse, and got himself concussed.

Stick with the kid through the season. Hope improves. If not, draft another QB high next season until they hit.

Rex has no choice BUT to stick with Geno, since his only OTHER reasonable option would have been Sanchez who got hurt in a totally meaningless game that the idiot Rex stuck him into. I disagree with drafting ANOTHER rookie QB. Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers will be FA's after the season and the Jets need to open their wallets and PAY UP for an established QB. No other option will get this team back into contention. They have a good young front line and need CB help as well as RB, WR and OL help and they CAN'T get all of that in the draft AND get a QB.

This harkens to last season all over again when Sanchez was so bad Rex turned to McElroy was just as bad, if not worse, and got himself concussed.

Stick with the kid through the season. Hope improves. If not, draft another QB high next season until they hit.

I couldn't disagree more. The season is over for Geno. How could you watch Sanchez last year, draw the comparison and then say, keep him in. Are you ******* nuts Carl????

Geno steers the Jets on another flight to ‘L’

By Brian CostelloNovember 24, 2013 | 4:02pm

Geno steers the Jets on another flight to ‘L’

BALTIMORE — Can Matt Simms really be any worse than Geno Smith right now?

The question has to be asked inside the Jets’ offices after watching Smith stumble and bumble his way through a 19-3 loss to the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium on Sunday.

It was the Jets’ second straight loss, the first time they lost consecutive games after alternating wins and losses through the season’s first 10 games.

In a word, Smith was awful. He threw two more interceptions, was terrible on third down and failed to provide any evidence he is the quarterback to lead this team. Simms is even more inexperienced than Smith, but it is fair to now wonder whether the Jets would be better off with him under center.

Smith understands people are going to want to see Simms after he completed 9-of-22 passes for 127 yards with the two interceptions. He was also credited with a tough fumble on a shotgun snap that hit a man in motion, bringing his season total for turnovers to an NFL high of 23.

“Two losses and that’s this league, man. Everyone wants to put a new quarterback in and I understand that,” Smith said. “I’m not worried about anything other than trying to get better and I’m not going to sit here and say that my job is 100 percent secure because every guy in this locker room has to prove themselves daily.”

Asked if he still believes he is the man to lead the Jets to the playoffs, Smith defiantly said: “I know I am.”

It did not look like it Sunday and it has not looked like it in a while. Smith has now gone 19 quarters without throwing a touchdown pass, dating back to the first quarter of the Patriots game on Oct. 20. In his last six games, he has thrown one touchdown and committed 12 turnovers.

“He’s had better days,” coach Rex Ryan said. “The turnovers, you know, the two interceptions, forced the issue down there. It looked like you’ve got to take a shot in that situation. … The numbers look bad, but at the time of the game and all that, it’s not the worst thing.”

Ryan had a bigger issue with drops by wide receivers than with Smith. Ryan seems to be falling into the same trap he did with a young Mark Sanchez, avoiding saying anything critical of the quarterback. But that is not going to fly in a locker room that knows it would have a better record right now with a better quarterback.

The Jets went 1-for-12 on third down and gained just 3 yards in the second quarter. A combination of good Jets defense and bad Ravens offense kept the score close until Jacoby Jones beat Jets defensive backs Dee Milliner and Ed Reed for a 66-yard touchdown at the end of the third quarter that made the score 19-3.

The loss drops the Jets to 5-6, where they are still tied for the sixth spot in the AFC playoff race somehow, but now would lose out on tiebreakers.

Jets players said the right things about Smith in the locker room, avoiding any direct criticism of the rookie quarterback but you can feel the resentment building, particularly among defensive players.

Smith was not the only one to blame on the offense, though. The offensive line gave up three sacks and the wide receivers failed to make many plays for Smith. Greg Salas and Santonio Holmes (combined three catches) were the only wide receivers to catch a ball. David Nelson had zero despite five targets and Stephen Hill had his third straight game with no catches.

“We have to be smart and we have to be honest with ourselves,” guard Willie Colon said. “What are we doing wrong? And why are we doing it wrong? We have to figure that out, and we have to do it in a hurry.”

The Jets’ only lead was 3-0. Ravens kicker Justin Tucker made four field goals to push it to a 12-3 lead as Baltimore had trouble moving the ball on a tough Jets defense.

This is the second straight game in which Smith’s play has been abysmal. After notching a 10.1 passer rating last week in Buffalo, he improved slightly to 22.3 this week.

“I just haven’t played well,” Smith said. “I don’t want to put my finger on anything [specific]. I just haven’t played well. It’s been very hot and cold. I’ve got to find a way, like I said, to spark this offense, whether it’s running the ball, maybe try to juke a guy, run a guy over, something to get things going.”

The Jets have five games left to make their playoff run. Right now, his teammates still support him.

“He’s going to continue to be our starter,” Holmes said, “and he’s going to get better each and every week and he’s going to lead us to where we need to be at sooner or later.”

The Jets’ next game comes next Sunday, which is Dec. 1. It’s starting to feel a whole lot later than sooner right now.

bet money that neither man makes it to the open market. 

I don't know about that. Why have the Bears and Chargers allowed them to get this close to FA in the first place. People are debating in Chicago that McCown may be a better option so Cutler very well could be cut loose. If they make it to the open market do you think the Jets wouldn't be a contender with either of these guys? I'm betting Cutler becomes a FA.

I don't know about that. Why have the Bears and Chargers allowed them to get this close to FA in the first place. People are debating in Chicago that McCown may be a better option so Cutler very well could be cut loose. If they make it to the open market do you think the Jets wouldn't be a contender with either of these guys? I'm betting Cutler becomes a FA.

They will franchise Cutler but let's imagine all that's true (for the sake of argument).

do we really want the Jets paying Jay Cutler 18 million a year to be Jay Cutler? 

Rex didn't make the decision to start Geno in Sept and he's not making the decision to bench him now. It has to come from Idzik. Cause that's who decides who the QB is on this team. 

Yup

If Milliner, Ducasse (Well he does suck) and Hill can be benched then why is Geno still out there ? 

This has to be coming from the GM.

Rex has no choice BUT to stick with Geno, since his only OTHER reasonable option would have been Sanchez who got hurt in a totally meaningless game that the idiot Rex stuck him into. I disagree with drafting ANOTHER rookie QB. Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers will be FA's after the season and the Jets need to open their wallets and PAY UP for an established QB. No other option will get this team back into contention. They have a good young front line and need CB help as well as RB, WR and OL help and they CAN'T get all of that in the draft AND get a QB.

Ok just for arguement sake both go on the market. Why would either one of them want to come here and play next year with this group of WR's, RB's and an O-Line that is at best up and down ?

Ok just for arguement sake both go on the market. Why would either one of them want to come here and play next year with this group of WR's, RB's and an O-Line that is at best up and down ?

Same reasons players go anywhere

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

While Geno is awful and I get the overall point of those fed up with him, there is some absurdity in the idea that Sanchez got nearly 4 full years of sucking before getting pulled and yet there are numerous attempts act as if it's an identical situation 11 games into his career.  That doesn't mean Geno deserves to keep his job for another 3 years (or even the rest of the season) because the Jets moronically did that last time around, but it's really not at all comparable.  And unlike with a season or two with Sanchez, I don't think there's a single person out there who believes this team is championship-ready if not for the QB.

While Geno is awful and I get the overall point of those fed up with him, there is some absurdity in the idea that Sanchez got nearly 4 full years of sucking before getting pulled and yet there are numerous attempts act as if it's an identical situation 11 games into his career.  That doesn't mean Geno deserves to keep his job for another 3 years (or even the rest of the season) because the Jets moronically did that last time around, but it's really not at all comparable.  And unlike with a season or two with Sanchez, I don't think there's a single person out there who believes this team is championship-ready if not for the QB.

everyone has this goal of winning a championship in mind, and that's great

but at this point I'd settle for entertaining football. being competitive. If the Jets announced Matt Simms was starting, that's a reason to watch. 

But that is not going to fly in a locker room that knows it would have a better record right now with a better quarterback.

What kind of idiotic friggin' statement is that?  Yeah, no sh*t.  The same thing just so happens to hold true for the entire history of the sport; what fantastic insight.  This is supposed to actually qualify as an article?  Sweet mother of God.

everyone has this goal of winning a championship in mind, and that's great

but at this point I'd settle for entertaining football. being competitive. If the Jets announced Matt Simms was starting, that's a reason to watch. 

Fair enough, and like I said none of this means that Geno deserves to keep his job, but that doesn't change the fact that this is significantly different than what the Jets went through with Sanchez just one year ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000222112/article/new-york-jets-will-decide-qb-together-john-idzik-says

when the GM says he and the HC will decide the QB "together" and that GM also decides whether or not the HC gets a new contract... it's not really a joint decision. 

The GM didn't have the right to fire him right away, why is it assumed that he has the right to decide whether he gets a new contract?

As long as we're making decisions on things we can't possibly know anything about...

Archived