Cimini: What If

flgreen

Green Day: Pondering a what-if at QB

November, 27, 2013

NOV 27

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Mark Sanchez made a comment Tuesday at an event in Morristown, N.J., that got me thinking. The New York Jets' injured starter said it's "tearing me up" to be hurt because he believes he'd be thriving in Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast offense.

Interesting thought: Would the Jets be better than 5-6 if they had Sanchez at quarterback?

My feeling is yes, there's little doubt they'd be better than 5-6. Even though he endured his share of slumps in four seasons, Sanchez never played back-to-back games with passer ratings below 23. He never went four straight games without a touchdown pass. He never went three straight games with single-digit completions, not even in the Ground & Pound heyday.

Rookie Geno Smith has done all that, and then some.

"I've been there," Sanchez said. "I've totally experienced what he's going through."

Let's not paint Sanchez as a fallen super hero, because we all know he was a liability at times, but he'd be better than 5-6. How much better? I find it hard to believe he'd have more than six wins, not with this ragtag supporting cast. It's a moot point, of course, because of that fateful night in August, but it's a fun question to debate.

Where would the Jets be with Sanchez?

ICYMI: Sanchez, sans corn rows, said Tuesday he wants to remain a Jet in 2014: "I don't want to go anywhere else, that's for sure." ... Backup linebacker Troy Davis, who suffered a chest contusion when drilled on a punt return by Baltimore Ravens linebacker Courtney Upshaw, was placed on season-ending injured reserve. On Monday, a league source indicated that Davis, who spent Sunday night in a Baltimore hospital, was day-to-day. Sanchez was once deemed day-to-day, and he, too, ended up on IR. ... Not surprisingly, the Jets fell to No. 22 in the ESPN.com power rankings. ... Our weekly film review of the weekly debacle.

I guess between Sanchez and Smith we could go through a lot of pages showing interception clips

Exactly. I notice he has gone into the archives for some of these, u don't need to look to hard to find matching films with the QB wearing 7 instead of 6, and they are all current.

I guess between Sanchez and Smith we could go through a lot of pages showing interception clips

Exactly. I notice he has gone into the archives for some of these, u don't need to look to hard to find matching films with the QB wearing 7 instead of 6, and they are all current.

There's little doubt we'd be better than 5-6 you guys

Anyone who thinks we wouldn't be better than 5-6 with Sanchez is naive. Even at his worst, Sanchez wasn't as bad as Geno at his best (obviously I'm exaggerating).

Geno is not only the worst starting QB in the league, he's worse than every single backup QB in the league. He is absolutely terrible. 

Sanchez wasn't great, but he honestly, truly looked improved in the preseason. Hell, and in 2011, I actually think with all the injured QBs in the AFC, he should have made the Pro Bowl. He also helped us get to two straight AFCC games and 4 road playoff wins. I'm not saying I want Sanchez as our QB, but he is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Geno.

Hell, Josh Cribbs is light years ahead of Geno. Nick Mangold even. Rex Ryan. sh*t, Geno just sucks.

Anyone who thinks we wouldn't be better than 5-6 with Sanchez is naive. Even at his worst, Sanchez wasn't as bad as Geno at his best (obviously I'm exaggerating).

Geno is not only the worst starting QB in the league, he's worse than every single backup QB in the league. He is absolutely terrible. 

Sanchez wasn't great, but he honestly, truly looked improved in the preseason. Hell, and in 2011, I actually think with all the injured QBs in the AFC, he should have made the Pro Bowl. He also helped us get to two straight AFCC games and 4 road playoff wins. I'm not saying I want Sanchez as our QB, but he is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Geno.

Hell, Josh Cribbs is light years ahead of Geno. Nick Mangold even. Rex Ryan. sh*t, Geno just sucks.

It's like comparing which turd smells better. 

Archived