What are we thankful for?

JollyGreenGiant

Prepare Earth for more asteroid strikes, say scientists

November 7, 2013 | Chris Matyszczyk

A new study suggests we should expect an asteroid strike every decade or two. And one scientist warns that the last asteroid to pass by us wasn't even noticed until it had gone.

We've become so used to change that stability seems like a quaint novelty.

So we'll no doubt find it quaint to discover that things might be falling on us from the sky with additional regularity over the next 100 years.

You might have only just got over the news that an asteroid might -- just might -- hit us in 2032.

But now, as The New York Times reports, scientists believe we should get used to the idea that asteroids might hit us every decade or two.

It points to two research papers published in Nature, in which a group of scientists wonder about the future.

Both papers were stimulated by the asteroid that struck Chelyabinsk in Russia earlier this year.

It seems that current warning systems focus on asteroids that are at least 1 kilometer wide.

However, Edward Lu, a former NASA space shuttle astronaut who now is launching a private endeavor called B612 to spot the slightly smaller asteroids, believes radical plans and better telescopes are needed.

He told the Times: "One kilometer is end-of-human-civilization kind of dangerous."

The last asteroid to come near us (and the one that may come by again in 2032), TV 135, was significant because of a small detail.

As Professor Peter Garnavich of the University of Notre Dame told me in an e-mail: "The asteroid 2013 TV135 did not come very close to the Earth in September. Its closest approach was more than 4,000,000 miles away. What is interesting about this asteroid is that it was not discovered until after it passed by, meaning this would have been a big surprise had it been on a slightly different orbit."

We've had enough big surprises lately, so this shows the need for better scientific vigilance.

There are those prepared to step up and do their part to defend us. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, for example.

B612 contends that this isn't going to be easy. A statement on its Web site might cause a chill or two: "There are about a million near-Earth asteroids that are large enough to substantially damage or destroy a major city."

Jets are still in playoff contention at Thanksgiving, despite the hopes and dreams of some of their fans.

Are they? We kept getting this last year, and after every Jet loss down the stretch, and a convenient loss by another phony playoff contender, you still had Jet fans come on and say "we are still mathematically alive"

When you say "we are mathematically allive", that is basically synonymous with: "We suck and are now looking for CURTIS PAINTER"

Are they? We kept getting this last year, and after every Jet loss down the stretch, and a convenient loss by another phony playoff contender, you still had Jet fans come on and say "we are still mathematically alive"

When you say "we are mathematically allive", that is basically synonymous with: "We suck and are now looking for CURTIS PAINTER"

LOL. Tiebreakers aside, if we win this week then we are tied for that playoff spot. That is hardly the same as being "mathematically alive" in the way that the Raiders or the Bills might be.

LOL. Tiebreakers aside, if we win this week then we are tied for that playoff spot. That is hardly the same as being "mathematically alive" in the way that the Raiders or the Bills might be.

I agree 100%, but I would also point out that as of right now, we are not even a .500 team, and with a win Sunday, then HOORAY, we are at .500. Is this what has become of the NFL and especially fans of complete mediocrity in their teams. Now we hope to finish at least 8-8, tie for the final playoff spot and WIN on tiebreakers and while we are losing games we should win,  other mediocre teams are also failing miserably,  so we can continually hang our hats on being "mathematically alive". Oh the Joy of being a JET, or DOLPHIN, or TITAN fan etc.

I agree 100%, but I would also point out that as of right now, we are not even a .500 team, and with a win Sunday, then HOORAY, we are at .500. Is this what has become of the NFL and especially fans of complete mediocrity in their teams. Now we hope to finish at least 8-8, tie for the final playoff spot and WIN on tiebreakers and while we are losing games we should win,  other mediocre teams are also failing miserably,  so we can continually hang our hats on being "mathematically alive". Oh the Joy of being a JET, or DOLPHIN, or TITAN fan etc.

I get that you're not thrilled---that many aren't thrilled with being a mediocre team. I just can't help but feel good about the direction they are going in, if for no other reason than their salary cap situation. For all the hate on Woody Johnson, the one thing you know about the man is that he's willing to spend up to the cap. And right now, I'm not sure that there's a single team in the league that will have more room under the cap in 2014 than the Jets, other than maybe a couple of teams that don't spend (maybe the Jags, for example). So if we're just mediocre with Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez' and other contracts weighing us down, then when we get out from under them next year, it's going to be pretty sweet.

Not sure if they will bring Rex back. If they do, we'll be in really good shape right away. If they don't, there might be a transition year but we should still be a little more competitive than we were this year.

Even Geno doesn't bother me too much. Sure, he sucks now. But we have nothing around him. Another year of experience and a whole bunch of weapons added to his arsenal with a full off-season to train with them? Can't hurt at all. Plus, he's a 2nd round pick, so the salary is never going to be an issue if we want to replace him in the near-future.

Not saying you don't have the right to be annoyed with our general lack of success as an organization. You do.

I get that you're not thrilled---that many aren't thrilled with being a mediocre team. I just can't help but feel good about the direction they are going in, if for no other reason than their salary cap situation. For all the hate on Woody Johnson, the one thing you know about the man is that he's willing to spend up to the cap. And right now, I'm not sure that there's a single team in the league that will have more room under the cap in 2014 than the Jets, other than maybe a couple of teams that don't spend (maybe the Jags, for example). So if we're just mediocre with Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez' and other contracts weighing us down, then when we get out from under them next year, it's going to be pretty sweet.

Not sure if they will bring Rex back. If they do, we'll be in really good shape right away. If they don't, there might be a transition year but we should still be a little more competitive than we were this year.

Even Geno doesn't bother me too much. Sure, he sucks now. But we have nothing around him. Another year of experience and a whole bunch of weapons added to his arsenal with a full off-season to train with them? Can't hurt at all. Plus, he's a 2nd round pick, so the salary is never going to be an issue if we want to replace him in the near-future.

Not saying you don't have the right to be annoyed with our general lack of success as an organization. You do.

I agree with you on almost all points, although I am in favor of a new coach right away. However, one thing and maybe I wasnt clear enough in my post, is that it just bothers me when we as fans, and maybe its because we have been mediocre so long, that we seem to accept it more readily than some other franchises.

We hear many fans of REX screaming that we should keep him, that he's our best coach in years, or some will even say EVER, but yet his record is (and theirs that word again), mediocre. Again, are we satisfied with mediocre? Apparently we are as many want to retain REX.

Its my opinion, that REX will always have a great defense, but we will suffer in amny other areas, and this will continually lead to basically what we have been under REX for 5 years, mediocre. YES, our salary cap is in unbelieveably great shape, I like our new GM, and I have hope that in the future, we will get beyond being mediocre, but REX has proven to me that he is simply a .500 coach and will always be that due to his many shortcomings.

So I am willing to accept the transition period in hopes of getting a new Dynamic. coach, who fits more with the modern NFL, and hopefully in the future, we as JET fans dont have to be thrilled with 8-8 and winning the 9th tiebreaker to get in.

Archived