Santonio Holmes maybe a no go vs Dolphins

joewilly12

Jets unsure if injured trio of starters will play until moments before kickoff against Dolphins

1 / 20

John O'Boyle / The Star-Ledger

Michael J. Fensom/The Star-Ledger By Michael J. Fensom/The Star-Ledger

on November 29, 2013 at 5:30 PM, updated November 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM

jets stock

The Jets return to MetLife Stadium Sunday hoping to end their losing streak at two, and keep pace for a playoff berth. However, they are uncertain whether a trio of starters will be fit enough to face the Miami Dolphins. Not until moments before kickoff, coach Rex Ryan said Friday, will the Jets know if Antonio Cromartie, Santonio Holmes and Jeremy Kerley can play.

Cromartie was a participant at practice for the first time this week, though he was limited. As the Jets defensive backs shuttled through drills, he rode a stationary bike. Later, Cromartie ran sprints under the supervision of the Jets' training staff.

The right hip injury that flared late during the Jets' loss last Sunday in Baltimore stems from a 2008 fracture. That past injury has not hampered Cromartie until this season. Discomfort emerged back in August and has tailed him since.

This week’s diet of rest and increased rehabilitation has encouraged the Jets cornerback, though. Pain and tightness have dissipated.

“Today, running around, I felt more explosive and comfortable with it than I have really since I reinjured it back in Week 2 of the preseason,” Cromartie said. He expressed optimism he would suit up Sunday.

Until this week, irritation in the hip had increased with each passing game. After reaching Pro Bowl caliber last season, Cromartie said his hip has restricted “explosiveness.” Frequently, wide receivers have steamed past him, reaching the football a step before Cromartie could defend the play.

“I can’t open up my stride as much as I want to,” Cromartie said.

Reserve linebacker Garrett McIntyre was limited in practice today with a knee injury. Antonio Allen, a backup safety, missed the session with a 105-degree fever. Both are listed as questionable to play Sunday.

On the other side of the ball, Ryan lamented this week that quarterback Geno Smith and his receivers have not had proper time to familiarize themselves in practice. That unfortunate trend, the result of injuries, has elongated into a season-defining theme for Jets receivers.

“If you were going to pick a perfect scenario, this would not be it,” Ryan said today.

While Kerley recovered quickly from a left elbow dislocation suffered Nov. 3 against the New Orleans Saints, Holmes’ absence from practice marked an unsettling recurrence of right hamstring tightness. The injury, in part, has limited Holmes to 13 catches this season.

“It’s just unfortunate, because we know when this guy is healthy he is a tremendous player,” Ryan said.

In the Jets locker room, Holmes said, “I feel like I have been feeling the past three weeks: pretty good.”

Though the wide receiver has played the last two weeks after missing five consecutive games, Ryan described Holmes’ condition anxiously.

“I’m concerned,” Ryan said.

Kerley, who has been limited in practice this week after sitting out the last two games, would aid a group of receivers which has struggled to connect with Smith recently. The rookie quarterback's passer rating dipped to 10.1 in Buffalo on Nov. 17. It rebounded, but only slightly, to 22.3 last weekend in Baltimore.

The Jets’ leader in catches and receiving yards, Kerley would also help on third down, the situation in which he thrives most. The Jets converted only one of 12 third-down chances last weekend.

Thick tape was wound tightly above and below Kerley’s left elbow today, restricting how the joint bends and stretches. Ryan said Kerley won’t be allowed to play if he can’t absorb contact, as well as catch passes and block.

“It would be tougher to come back as a receiver than other positions,” Ryan said of the injury.

Above all, the Jets’ coaching staff has been tested as players shuttle in and out of the lineup. That challenge will continue Sunday.

“Injuries are part of the NFL, so when a guy goes down you can’t get emotional about it,” defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman said. “As a coach, you’re judged by your backups. Because if you can coach, you ought to be able to coach starters, but if you can really coach your backups will go in and there won’t be much of a dropoff.”

Santonio Holmes is a selfish waste of a player who should have been cut the moment he took himself off the field for the last offensive drive of their 2011 season-that's yet another in a long list of Tannenbaum's long list of monumental failures as GM. Idzik's isn't much better, as he has not made any moves whatsoever to surround Geno with any sort of talent at the WR position whatsoever, even though the Jets had two first round picks

Be it Idzik or Tannenbaum (they're the same person, as far as I'm concerned), the a jets FO has to get the ship moving in the right direction. Seriously, it was no secret during the summer that the Jets offense had all kinda of problems. Yet, Idzik decides to keep Sanchez on the roster, release Braylon Edwards, and not make any trades for receivers. The best Idzik could do was to sign David Nelson and simply hope hat Holmes would suddenly start to become a could receiver?

I kow it's a pain, but based on this season, Idzik should also go

Santonio Holmes is a selfish waste of a player who should have been cut the moment he took himself off the field for the last offensive drive of their 2011 season-that's yet another in a long list of Tannenbaum's long list of monumental failures as GM. Idzik's isn't much better, as he has not made any moves whatsoever to surround Geno with any sort of talent at the WR position whatsoever, even though the Jets had two first round picks

Be it Idzik or Tannenbaum (they're the same person, as far as I'm concerned), the a jets FO has to get the ship moving in the right direction. Seriously, it was no secret during the summer that the Jets offense had all kinda of problems. Yet, Idzik decides to keep Sanchez on the roster, release Braylon Edwards, and not make any trades for receivers. The best Idzik could do was to sign David Nelson and simply hope hat Holmes would suddenly start to become a could receiver?

I kow it's a pain, but based on this season, Idzik should also go

Holmes was Rex's call, more of the "'he beat me so he must be great" Rex nonsense...." boyitellya...that son of a bi##h cost me two super bowls"

The saddest and most embarrassing part of the whole Holmes tenure here was the only two people who ever stood up to him were Shotty and Wayne Hunter....can't make it up.

Henry Ellard, actually, then he got shipped out immediately for publicly bitch-slapping Rex's pride and joy.

Henry Ellard, actually, then he got shipped out immediately for publicly bitch-slapping Rex's pride and joy.

We have never replaced Ellard. This current WR coach is a POS. His biggest accomplishment is teaching Stephen Hill how to play like DHB.

Good call forgot that,..it's always been my belief that Rex letting himself get bullied and humiliated by Holmes and never standing up to him did a lot more to ruin this team than ever gets credited...no matter how many games Holmes "won" for us in 2010.

We have never replaced Ellard. This current WR coach is a POS. His biggest accomplishment is teaching Stephen Hill how to play like DHB.

Rex is clueless when it comes to offensive coaches, look at his track record, Anthony Lynn is just as bad, a great day in Jet history when Rex and

his entire offensive staff are dismissed, RB coach and assistant head coach, MM, get them all the hell out of here.

Braylon Edwards is dead to the league.

I wish people could see this.  Funny thing is I could see someone picking Santonion up as a thrid next year cheap and him making a dozen or so key plays for them.  Santonio as a first ship has sailed and not even sure he ever was.  Solid two with big play potential and crappy attitude,

I wish people could see this. Funny thing is I could see someone picking Santonion up as a thrid next year cheap and him making a dozen or so key plays for them. Santonio as a first ship has sailed and not even sure he ever was. Solid two with big play potential and crappy attitude,

Agree.

Braylon pre injuries was closer to a one than Holmes ever was, but neither were ever a one.

Holmes was a good slot guy when he wanted to play.

Signing Holmes to that monster deal in 2011 was a huge mistake .

Holmes was Rex's call, more of the "'he beat me so he must be great" Rex nonsense...." boyitellya...that son of a bi##h cost me two super bowls"

Can you believe that Rex actually made this POS a "team captain" at one time?

That tells you all you need to know about Rex and his ability to recognize the importance of "character" in his team leaders.

At least Sanchez had the balls to tell him to "get the **** out of the huddle" when Holmes pulled his BS on the field.

Good call forgot that,..it's always been my belief that Rex letting himself get bullied and humiliated by Holmes and never standing up to him did a lot more to ruin this team than ever gets credited...no matter how many games Holmes "won" for us in 2010.

Word. Sanchez will get the blame, but Holmes is the guy who killed Rex here by exposing him as an awful, clueless, spineless leader.

For a walking mummy Braylon played the last 3 games of of an offense headed downhill last year and caught 10/18 for 125 yards and 8 first downs.

That's several cuts above who's playing now.

Im quite sure if signed today he would lead the team in WR stats at the end of the season. How can we expect anything from Geno with the slugs we have at WR?

One of the keys of getting a young inexperienced player going is for him to get off to a good start.  In last week's disaster I saw several catchable balls early in the game dropped by the receivers.  If those passes had been caught we might well have had a different game.

Instead, we're here the following week telling ourselves how this young QB is garbage and we have to get somebody new in the draft.

One of the keys of getting a young inexperienced player going is for him to get off to a good start.  In last week's disaster I saw several catchable balls early in the game dropped by the receivers.  If those balls had been caught we might well have had a different game.

Instead, we're here the following week telling ourselves how this young guy is garbage and we have to get somebody new in the draft.

the first 5 calls were runs.  the first pass call was a wildcat option pass.  they are hiding him.  you can't do that.

there are only 2 logical moves for the jets. 

1) play Garrard or simms

2) let geno run the regular offense and throw it 45 times a game to force feed him reps

what are the jets doing ?  the dumb thing.  try to hide him

the first 5 calls were runs. the first pass call was a wildcat option pass. they are hiding him. you can't do that.

there are only 2 logical moves for the jets.

1) play Garrard or simms

2) let geno run the regular offense and throw it 45 times a game to force feed him reps

what are the jets doing ? the dumb thing. try to hide him

This is true. It's the opposite of how you make a quarterback.

Ivory and Powell have done some very nice things running the ball.  I really don't see anything terribly wrong with establishing the run first and letting the young QB get into the flow of the game gradually.  But when the kid hits you nicely for a first down or near-first down on a second down play, it's imperative for the ball to be caught.  He's trying to re-establish himself after a few bad games and get his confidence back.  Converting third-and-two is a lot easier than converting third-and-8's.

Ivory and Powell have done some very nice things running the ball.  I really don't see anything terribly wrong with establishing the run first and letting the young QB get into the flow of the game gradually.  But when the kid hits you nicely for a first down or near-first down on a second down play, it's imperative for the ball to be caught.  He's trying to re-establish himself after a few bad games and get his confidence back.  Converting third-and-two is a lot easier than converting third-and-8's.

they asked him to be a WR on 1st down and an NFL QB on 3rd and 7.

the exact opposite of what should be done.

throw it on 1st down. screens, swing passes, high-low reads, cut the field in half.  if he chokes it and its 3rd and 10, is that really any different than 3rd and 7 ?

he needs reps in the regular offense and they are not giving it to him

Word. Sanchez will get the blame, but Holmes is the guy who killed Rex here by exposing him as an awful, clueless, spineless leader.

The Dolphins season ender in 2011 should have been Holmes' last game here. Instead Wrecks has allowed this turd to hang around. Cap price be damned Holmes under a real HC would be elsewhere from then on.

Archived