Everything I am hearing is 2 Horse race: Whisenhunt or Bevel

SouthernJet

I would handle Rex the same way I would have handled REvis. Let him play out the last year and see what happens. Theres this unwritten rule that a coach MUST be redone when he's on his last year, this is a special situation. Give Rex the same help you would have given Darrell Bevel and see how he does. There's no time limit by the way, people make these artificial time limits like if he doesn't win a ring in 5 years, fire him. it took Cowher like 15 years to win his. LIke if they don't fire Rex next year the Super Bowl plan is ruined?   

That wouldnt be the end of the world, I agree. Given that the roster is horrible and no coach could really make do with this...but that's also not a reason to not move on from Rex either. Sometimes it's just time for a change. 

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not their first trip to the rodeo just their worst one...Well, Ryan's was 2012 but this year has potential to beat it.

Still not sold on Bevell unfortunately. I want a better roster more than I want yet another new, first time head coach anyway.

Really good post.  Rex is trying to paint the Mona Lisa with waters colors and an old hair brush.  QB;s make the coach.

Rex is doing invisible things, you guys.

You're a straight jackass.  Dont act like you're in the locker room and know exactly what he does with the team.  

There's a difference between loving to play for a guy, and not wanting to let him down. Your boy, Santonio, he loves playing for Rex, but he has no problem letting him down time and again, because he knows Rex has his back 100%. Whole team seems to function that way. 

Belli's team is full of guys that do their job and don't want to let him down. Who gives a **** if they love him. They are athletes, they love WINNING more.

Your point of view on this is like a ******* Hallmark movie. "They love Rex, just listen to them" --- tell me how that "love" has translated to discipline, execution and winning?

Also, the bold is one of the dumbest things you've ever said, which is saying a lot. Rex did a lot to make the product what it is.

And you're a bigger jackass.  They dont want to let him down because they love playing for him.  Remember all the feel good stories just a couple of weeks ago?  That's all changed now because they lost some games and the true roster is being exposed with the worst QB in the league manning ship?  No.  They still love playing for him and dont want to let him down....they just suck.  

That wouldnt be the end of the world, I agree. Given that the roster is horrible and no coach could really make do with this...but that's also not a reason to not move on from Rex either. Sometimes it's just time for a change. 

I agree with this.  Probably is time to change. With this roster we are lookingat a first time head coach and chances are the worst is yet to come.  See you in 2016.  LOL

Really good post.  Rex is trying to paint the Mona Lisa with waters colors and an old hair brush.  QB;s make the coach.

This is overstated. SF and Seattle arent only good because of the QB. Both of those programs do it the right way and have been built from the ground up. A QB isnt a silver bullet. It's obviously the toughest piece- but Seattle didnt just get good because they drafted Wilson.

I would handle Rex the same way I would have handled REvis. Let him play out the last year and see what happens.

Why would Rex agree to this?

this is a special situation.

In what way?

There's no time limit by the way, people make these artificial time limits like if he doesn't win a ring in 5 years, fire him.

Link?

it took Cowher like 15 years to win his. LIke if they don't fire Rex next year the Super Bowl plan is ruined?

Cowher through four seasons: 43-21, four playoff appearances, Super Bowl appearance

Rex through three+ seasons: 39-37, two playoff appearances

This is overstated. SF and Seattle arent only good because of the QB. Both of those programs do it the right way and have been nuilt from the ground up. A QB isnt a silver bullet.

Pretty damn close. Show me a Superbowl winner in the last ten years without a QB that played at an elite level that year?

Pretty damn close. Show me a Superbowl winner in the last ten years without a QB that played at an elite level that year?

Its a piece of the puzzle- sure. The Seahawks are a great team because they're loaded from 1-53. Not just the QB. The Jets with Russell Wilson still stink.

Kapernick has struggled often this year and we see the 49ers struggle along with him.   We see him have great games and the 49ers win.  When your QB isn't playing like a star, it's always an issue.  The Jets rarely have a QB who can win the team games.    the NFL in 2013 is about passing the ball. It's about QBs and WRs and TEs.  It's about RBs who can catch.   Last year the playoffs and super bowl were games where the losing team scored around 30 points.    The Jets cant' even score 6 points.    

So while the team around you can be talented, if your QB sucks, you probably don't win. AKA look at Manning's teams (colts and broncos).  When he doesn't have a Manning like HOF game, his teams usually lose.   

Rex is gonna be like Andy Reid. Like Reid he is a key part of a coaching tree (Jeff Fisher, Jim Schwartz, Munchak all also worked under Buddy) and like Reid he'll be insta-re-hired. 

Offense > defense. 

even if that is true how is Darrell Bevel an offensive mastermind? You guys are letting the perfect being the enemy of the good. This is just like when it was smart to trade Revis cause he wasn't a QB.

Wake up no other coaching masterminds are lining up for this job. We should be lucky for the one we have. 

Its a piece of the puzzle- sure. The Seahawks are a great team because they're loaded from 1-53. Not just the QB. The Jets with Russell Wilson still stink.

this is speculation. The jets with Russell wilson make the playoffs. You can't prove your statement and I can't prove mine.

even if that is true how is Darrell Bevel an offensive mastermind? You guys are letting the perfect being the enemy of the good. This is just like when it was smart to trade Revis cause he wasn't a QB.

Wake up no other coaching masterminds are lining up for this job. We should be lucky for the one we have. 

Im not calling Bevell anything- he just would make the most sense...I dont know this for sure, but I think the Seahawks are currently the franchise we're patterning ourselves to.

Im not calling Bevell anything- he just would make the most sense...I dont know this for sure, but I think the Seahawks are currently the franchise we're patterning ourselves to.

let's just call it like it is: Jets fans know nothing about Darrell Bevel. 

Put Geno or Sanchez on the Seahawks and they don;t make the playoffs.

Put Russell on the Jets we make the playoffs. Hell we were still in the hunt last week. 

Yes need all the pieces but the QB is like giant fake titties.  They make up for a lot of short comings.

Cowher through four seasons: 43-21, four playoff appearances, Super Bowl appearance

Rex through three four+ seasons: 39-37, two playoff appearances

True. However, even if Rex had the same sterling regular season record that Cowher accumulated in his first 6 years as a head coach, many of you would still make the same snarky "two AFCCG and one SB participation trophy" remarks. He was 5-6 in the postseason during those six years and five of those times he won the division, having the best record in the AFC twice: the running knock was that he couldn't win the big one. There's no way this fan base would have wanted him around after repeated failure in the post-season, followed by his next three sub .500 years, let alone keep him for 5 additional years until he finally won the SB. 

what does he have to agree to? He's under contract, he coaches the Jets. What's he gonna do, quit?

Rex is gonna be like Andy Reid. Like Reid he is a key part of a coaching tree (Jeff Fisher, Jim Schwartz, Munchak all also worked under Buddy) and like Reid he'll be insta-re-hired.

btw in first 5 years, Rex was 4-2 in the playoffs, cowher was 3-4

64-game sample size > 6-game sample size

True. However, even if Rex had the same sterling regular season record that Cowher accumulated in his first 6 years as a head coach, many of you would still make the same snarky "two AFCCG and one SB participation trophy" remarks. He was 5-6 in the postseason during those six years and five of those times he won the division, having the best record in the AFC twice: the running knock was that he couldn't win the big one. There's no way this fan base would have wanted him around after repeated failure in the post-season, followed by his next three sub .500 years, let alone keep him for 5 additional years until he finally won the SB. 

This is pure horsesh*t.

Kapernick has struggled often this year and we see the 49ers struggle along with him.   We see him have great games and the 49ers win.  When your QB isn't playing like a star, it's always an issue.  The Jets rarely have a QB who can win the team games.    the NFL in 2013 is about passing the ball. It's about QBs and WRs and TEs.  It's about RBs who can catch.   Last year the playoffs and super bowl were games where the losing team scored around 30 points.    The Jets cant' even score 6 points.    

So while the team around you can be talented, if your QB sucks, you probably don't win. AKA look at Manning's teams (colts and broncos).  When he doesn't have a Manning like HOF game, his teams usually lose.   

Peyton has always choked late in the season.  You HAVE to start with a QB.  THEN add pieces.  No coach can win with a garbage QB in todays NFL.  Really the only point Im trying to make. Sorry for the confusion.

Kapernick is having a sophmore slump brought on by teams knowing how to play him.  Being thrown in during the season played in to his style of play.  Feel he may be a lot like Cam.  Sophmore slump then improve some and become a good player.

When was the last time Rex was a "defensive mastermind"? Or did that only apply when he had Revis?

Peyton has always choked late in the season.  You HAVE to start with a QB.  THEN add pieces.  No coach can win with a garbage QB in todays NFL.  Really the only point Im trying to make. Sorry for the confusion.

Kapernick is having a sophmore slump brought on by teams knowing how to play him.  Being thrown in during the season played in to his style of play.  Feel he may be a lot like Cam.  Sophmore slump then improve some and become a good player.

Neither Seattle or SF started with a QB. 

Archived