Everything I am hearing is 2 Horse race: Whisenhunt or Bevel

SouthernJet

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

forget fair, i don't see how it makes the Jets better. they will lose their defensive mastermind and gain what exactly? another OC ? How is Bevell better than Rex and Marty? It's not a rhetorical question. 

You're the guy who wanted Geno held accountable, right?

Run defense might take a back seat to Special Teams these days.  Just look at how many games Nick Folk won for us.

He is 10x more relevant in the W-L column.  But Rex is a run stuffing genius.  In a passing league.  Sort of in the ground 'n pound vein.  Guy really knows how to be a head coach.

He is 10x more relevant in the W-L column.  But Rex is a run stuffing genius.  In a passing league.  Sort of in the ground 'n pound vein.  Guy really knows how to be a head coach.

I still like Rex.  But as a smart friend told me in 2010 (and I didn't believe it at the time, since we went 11-5 that year)...."I like Rex too....but when he falls in New York, he'll fall hard."  He was 100 % right.

There is no way in hell Gruden, Cowher, or any of the ex-coaches with their cushy broadcasting jobs are going to come coach us so we should just stop mentioning their names right now.  This sucks to be sitting here having to read about a bunch of new coaches but it is what it is, and I guess if I'm leaning towards Bevel right now, but we still need the players to actually execute the plays.  Marty did pretty good calling the plays for us up until the bye week when we either a-got figured out by other teams and are now just ineffective, or b- we are not good enough. Probably a little of both.  

We're all gonna look mighty stupid when Rex takes his run defense to Tampa Bay and wins Super Bowl VI with it.

just to put my statement into context, you compared Geno Smith to REx Ryan under the heading of accountability.

Rex has done many good things over 5 years. Geno not so much.

just to put my statement into context, you compared Geno Smith to REx Ryan under the heading of accountability.

Rex has done many good things over 5 years. Geno not so much.

Rex is also 11-16 over the last two seasons (11-19 if you count the collapse at the end of 2011), with eight of those losses by 20 or more points (nine if, again, you go back to 2011). He did some great things three years ago. The team is simply not competitive right now. That's what I mean by accountability.

Who told you this little secret?  

Because there is no way it could be combination of both.  That's impossible. 

Sure it could- but Rex isn't a positional coach anymore. He's calling the plays obviously, but the development of guys(Wilk, Snacks) falls on Dunbar. If any coach could be plucked off of the Jets- he'd be the first to be hired.

When you look out on the field and see what Rex and Marty are producing, how can you say they're better than anybody?

Not their first trip to the rodeo just their worst one...Well, Ryan's was 2012 but this year has potential to beat it.

Still not sold on Bevell unfortunately. I want a better roster more than I want yet another new, first time head coach anyway.

Sure it could- but Rex isn't a positional coach anymore. He's calling the plays obviously, but the development of guys(Wilk, Snacks) falls on Dunbar. If any coach could be plucked off of the Jets- he'd be the first to be hired.

Rex was  DL coach before a DC.  That's his specialty.  He's one of the best in the biz at teaching technique. Same as Dunbar.  I think your secret you made up because it sounds good is b.s.  I'm sure they're both in the trenches with those guys coaching them up and both have a large impact on their development.  

Rex was DL coach before a DC. That's his specialty. He's one of the best in the biz at teaching technique. Same as Dunbar. I think your secret you made up because it sounds good is b.s. I'm sure they're both in the trenches with those guys coaching them up and both have a large impact on their development.

Actually, Dunbar has built, now, three absolutely dominant DLs. The Tommie Harris one in Chicago, the Williams Wall in Minny, and now here.

Not their first trip to the rodeo just their worst one...Well, Ryan's was 2012 but this year has potential to beat it.

Still not sold on Bevell unfortunately. I want a better roster more than I want yet another new, first time head coach anyway.

This x 1000

they are 5-7 not 0-12. they are more competitive than they should be, considering how they were predicted to finish and where they are now. 

I don't give a sh*t where they were predicted to finish. Rex doesn't get to keep his job just because he outperformed Pigskin Pulaski's preseason picks over at CrazeeFootballD00dz.net. There's a good chance we're going to finish 6-10 for the second consecutive season and miss the postseason for the third. Even if you're grading on a curve, that's unacceptable.

Rex was  DL coach before a DC.  That's his specialty.  He's one of the best in the biz at teaching technique. Same as Dunbar.  I think your secret you made up because it sounds good is b.s.  I'm sure they're both in the trenches with those guys coaching them up and both have a large impact on their development.  

Isn't it sad though that the only positive conversation left to be had about Rex is that he's had an impact on a position group that he used to coach WAY back in his past? Or that players "like" him?

I don't want a coach players like, I want a coach players are afraid to let down.

Actually, Dunbar has built, now, three absolutely dominant DLs. The Tommie Harris one in Chicago, the Williams Wall in Minny, and now here.

Built?  He's picking the guys?  

Dunbar is fantastic, kudos to Rex for signing him here.  The duo has done a great job of developing the DL.  To say that Rex has had no part, is ridiculous and something Matt made up in thin air with nothing to support his little secret. 

Isn't it sad though that the only positive conversation left to be had about Rex is that he's had an impact on a position group that he used to coach WAY back in his past? Or that players "like" him?

I don't want a coach players like, I want a coach players are afraid to let down.

Players dont want to let Rex down because they love playing for him.  There's no question about that...just listen to the way they talk about him.  I agree, thats not enough...but I think that Rex does a lot more good than we as fans can see and its hard to realize because the product is terrible.

Out of curiosity, who do you think a coach is that players are "afraid" to let down?  

Built? He's picking the guys?

Dunbar is fantastic, kudos to Rex for signing him here. The duo has done a great job of developing the DL. To say that Rex has had no part, is ridiculous and something Matt made up in thin air with nothing to support his little secret.

Players dont want to let Rex down because they love playing for him. There's no question about that...just listen to the way they talk about him. I agree, thats not enough...but I think that Rex does a lot more good than we as fans can see and its hard to realize because the product is terrible.

Out of curiosity, who do you think a coach is that players are "afraid" to let down?

Rex is doing invisible things, you guys.

Players dont want to let Rex down because they love playing for him.  There's no question about that...just listen to the way they talk about him.  I agree, thats not enough...but I think that Rex does a lot more good than we as fans can see and its hard to realize because the product is terrible.

There's a difference between loving to play for a guy, and not wanting to let him down. Your boy, Santonio, he loves playing for Rex, but he has no problem letting him down time and again, because he knows Rex has his back 100%. Whole team seems to function that way. 

Belli's team is full of guys that do their job and don't want to let him down. Who gives a **** if they love him. They are athletes, they love WINNING more.

Your point of view on this is like a ******* Hallmark movie. "They love Rex, just listen to them" --- tell me how that "love" has translated to discipline, execution and winning?

Also, the bold is one of the dumbest things you've ever said, which is saying a lot. Rex did a lot to make the product what it is.

I dont think Lombardi could have helped this team, but rex will be gone for other 'stuff' as well, not just 2013  record.

I like Rex Def skills, but maybe its time for a Offensive guy as HC of the NY Jets

I would like to see us get thru 16 games without our QB rolling up into a fetal position.

So Rex deserves a re-do with a new GM?

I would handle Rex the same way I would have handled REvis. Let him play out the last year and see what happens. Theres this unwritten rule that a coach MUST be redone when he's on his last year, this is a special situation. Give Rex the same help you would have given Darrell Bevel and see how he does. There's no time limit by the way, people make these artificial time limits like if he doesn't win a ring in 5 years, fire him. it took Cowher like 15 years to win his. LIke if they don't fire Rex next year the Super Bowl plan is ruined?   

Archived