Everything I am hearing is 2 Horse race: Whisenhunt or Bevel

SouthernJet

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay Gruden is a name I could jive with.

Me to if he brings AJ Green, Gio Bernard, and his offensive line, and is coming to be Rex Ryan's offensive coordinator!

I don't care what anyone says when talent is equal, or close like 2009 (Bengals had a better QB, a comparable Oline, and RB stable, and better recieving core, and the D talent was probably better on Cincy's side, but the Jets had the best player on either D) Rex is a better coach then Lewis, and out coached him BADLY in back to back weeks, and the 2nd time was on the road in a playoff game.

Lewis has had much worse years in Cincy then Rex has had here in NY over the past 5 years, both on, and off the field (I think a Bengals player was getting arrested weekly for a few years), but because its Cincy, and not NY the ownership kept with Lewis (even thou I think Rex is a better HC then Lewis I also think Lewis is a good HC), and both times Lewis was given a QB, and a stable of competent to great offensive weapons his teams have gone to the playoffs.

But whatever everyone get your pitch fork out, and chase the best possible HC candidate to be available if fired next year, and I'll have to read a 150 page thread about how stupid the Jets are for firing Rex Ryan while he is holding his SB parade down in TB in February 2015. And a 2nd thread about which round the Jets should draft a QB in for the 3rd straight year, and fire Bevel/Whisenhunt threads, and fire Idzik threads, and who should be our D-Coordinator threads, blah blah blah you get the point.

Bill O'Brien would be the only HC I would be ok with next year that could be had (probably couldn't thou) other than Rex Ryan.

Everyone accuses Ryan of living in the dark ages run, run, run, but WTF is he supposed to do with the QB's, and WR's on his offense. I'm pretty sure Rex had no problem letting his offense air it out in late 2010, and all of 2011, then Sanchez went from Bad to Horrific, and Tone Quit, and it all blew up in his face, not to mention his GM turned the best Offensive line in football into a very average line cutting guys like Faneca, and filling those holes by drafting projects like Ducasse, and 6th, and 7th rounders like Slausson. So pretty much any HC Vince Lombardi, Bill Parcells, Bill Belicheck, ect.. Would have a very tough time being 5-7 with the 53 man roster Rex is working with.

For those countering with Rex got to pick his own groceries (meaning he had a say in just about every draft pick, and FA signing)? Valid point, and that is why the last GM probably got fired, and last time I checked Rex Ryan's title with the NYJ's is HC not GM, so the current GM needs to sit Rex down ask him to do what he does best coach, and I'll do my job get you the players to coach, if you don't like that arrangement (yes Rex would have input on weaknesses, and positions of need, but the actual players no) then we need to go our separate ways.

In fairness, Graves put together the Cardinal team that went to the Super Bowl.  You can criticize some moves he made, but he did turn that franchise into a winner.

No he didn't HOF QB Kurt Warner did that, the same Kurt Warner both Graves, and Whisenhunt didn't want as their starting QB until they realized Leinart was the suck, same type of situation people say about Belicheck being a nothing without Tom Brady at QB. And both got fired once the HOF hung up his cleats.

For real, this erection many posters are having for Beaver needs to stop. The guy wouldn't be doing sh*t here and has basically been riding the coat tails of great qbs. If we want a new coach so bad then David Shaw is the guy we should get, but he isn't coming out for a while, so we might as well stick with Rex.

Without great players (Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Revis, Wilk, Sheldon) Rex doesn't do sh*t.

No coach does sh*t without great players, and usually great players don't do much (beyond racking up great individual stats) without a great coach. Having a great coach and great players is not mutually exclusive, this team needs both. They have neither.

Rex is a proven D-line coach, and D-line talent evaluator. That is ALL he is. Everything he's done that most people consider "great" as a defensive coordinator has happened when he's had all-Pro talent on the roster. Without that talent he's average to below average... just like Belli is without Brady. Or any coach is without Manning. Or every D-coordinator to coach in Baltimore while Ray Lewis was there. Every one of those coordinators to coach Ray Ray leveled-up to become a HC and if I'm not mistaken the best of them so far has been Marvin Lewis.

The reality at this point is that it's friggin hard as sh*t to win in this league when the coach and QB are not on the same page, and in Rex's case he comes from a long line of QB hating Defense-minded coaches... he'll NEVER connect with a QB the way he needs to. His whole career has been about ruining the opposing QB, but the best job he's done of ruining QBs has unforunately been to ruin his own.

I think Bevel is #1 guy. What we dont know is his friendship w/idzik enough to make his select Jets. He will have other suitors.

Idzik has a philosophy that he wants to implement with the Jets.

Bevel already knows what that philosophy is. They likely trust each other too. It makes too much sense for this marriage not to happen.

I'd rather give Marty Mornhinweg Johnny Football then your boy Beaver.

I don't think you can give MM Johnny Football, I could be wrong, but I don't think those 2 fit well. If MM is sticking around you might as well forget the QB spot, and go get a J Charles, L McCoy type of RB, and a DeSean Jackson type WR, and beef up the O-Line, and grab the best screen throwing QB available who can also hit a 4.3 WR in stride 50 yards down the field on occasion. The RB would account for 40% of the teams offense, and 1 big downfield pass to that WR, and if you filled that O-line properly you have the 2013 KC Chiefs!

Maybe a combo of Sammy Watkins, MJD, Jeremy Maclin, and if healthy, and released by the Bills QB Kevin Kolb, also would have a rookie RB with a similar skill set to a J Charles, L McCoy, and hopefully he could slowly take over the MJD role as the season goes on (My man Dri Archer comes to mind). And again would really need to address the Oline with 2 new quality starters via FA, and draft at the very least!

No he didn't HOF QB Kurt Warner did that, the same Kurt Warner both Graves, and Whisenhunt didn't want as their starting QB until they realized Leinart was the suck, same type of situation people say about Belicheck being a nothing without Tom Brady at QB. And both got fired once the HOF hung up his cleats.

Wasn't he the GM when Warner signed with the Cardinals?

First off Rex doesn't design the offense, MM does,

Secondly you can put a bonnet on a pig but it's still a pig.

We could hold a séance and have Bill Walsh try and teach a team of Dbatesman (QB), Crusher (WR), JiF (WR), CTM (WR), Integrity (TE), and TomShane (RB) the nuances of the WCO.  

What do you think would happen if we put them out on the field.  They'd look like pack of bumbling idiots.   

You know why?  Cause they're unathletic, fat, and suck at football.

You starting to understand here?

I thought Tom was an all-american at Princeton.

here's a question if this team, 2013 Jets, had all the same players, same injuries etc. would Darel Bevel have more wins than Rex Ryan? 

Doubtful. But this was a throw away season to begin with- no one could win win this group of players and Idzik knew that going in. Merely an evaluation year for any holdovers from the previous regime. The scouting dept was already canned. The coaches are next.

Doubtful. But this was a throw away season to begin with- no one could win win this group of players and Idzik knew that going in. Merely an evaluation year for any holdovers from the previous regime. The scouting dept was already canned. The coaches are next.

so basically what's gonna happen here is the Jets will get a new QB, new WR, new DB help and whatever else they need this offseason, and then everyone will say Darrell Bevel is the reason why they are better. Rex Ryan could do that. Sit back and take all the help that's coming on offense... and field a dominant defense. 

I can go either way on the Whisenhunt thought.  He knows how to utilize the TE properly and bringing in Carson Palmer was a good move. The fact he played here and was a STC under Al Groh does not hurt either.  However, I can see folks pointing to Arizona's QB issues as a concern.  Personally, I think it has to be a well rounded experienced HC that comes in here.  The defensive coaching staff has been gutted and needs a rebuild as well.

so basically what's gonna happen here is the Jets will get a new QB, new WR, new DB help and whatever else they need this offseason, and then everyone will say Darrell Bevel is the reason why they are better. Rex Ryan could do that. Sit back and take all the help that's coming on offense... and field a dominant defense. 

Rex had his opportunity and pissed it away with Tannenbaum. 5 years is an eternity. The defensive coach that's actually most important to keep isnt even Rex- it's Dunbar. And he's worked with Bevell.

Herm, too.

forget fair, i don't see how it makes the Jets better. they will lose their defensive mastermind and gain what exactly? another OC ? How is Bevell better than Rex and Marty? It's not a rhetorical question.

When you look out on the field and see what Rex and Marty are producing, how can you say they're better than anybody?

Archived