Jets draft history is ugly

MexiRoll6

I won't go into the number of busts or simply bad players the Jets have taken with their first round picks through the years - THAT list would be very lengthy - in 1974 ALONE the Jets missed on four HOF players - Lynn Swann, Mike Webster, Dave Casper and Jack Lambert. I will list the ones that were good to pretty good.

1971 - John Riggins.

1977 - Marvin Powell

1979 - Marty Lyons

1981 - Freeman McNeil

1989 - Jeff Lageman (pretty good)

2000 - Sean Ellis, Jon Abraham, Chad Pennington

2006 - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold

2007 - Darrelle Revis

2011 - Mo Wilkerson

That's it folks. Pretty shabby, though it has gotten better in the 2000's than it was before, which was rather disgusting collection of missed chances like Jerry Rice (Al Toon), Dan Marino (Ken O'Brien) and Emmitt Smith (Blair Thomas) to name just a few.

Al Toon was a better pick than most guys on that list.

Not when you consider that Rice was there for the taking as were Eddie Brown who had a much better and longer career and OL Jim Lachey - one of the best in the game during his years.

Not when you consider that Rice was there for the taking as were Eddie Brown who had a much better and longer career and OL Jim Lachey - one of the best in the game during his years.

Considering anything.  Al Toon was better than Eddie Brown all day long and had better career numbers.  Through 3 years he was as good as Rice and he had OBrien/Walton (at best), not Montana/Walsh. Downgrading him for not being Rice is ridculous.  It's like saying every QB is a failure for not being Brady.  The Jets still had Powell performing at a high level and McElroy was a solid player and recent #2 pick, so no need for an OT.  Toon was arguably the best WR in the game for a year or two and played at a very high level before the concussions and Kotite genius took their toll. 

Considering anything.  Al Toon was better than Eddie Brown all day long and had better career numbers.  Through 3 years he was as good as Rice and he had OBrien/Walton (at best), not Montana/Walsh. Downgrading him for not being Rice is ridculous.  It's like saying every QB is a failure for not being Brady.  The Jets still had Powell performing at a high level and McElroy was a solid player and recent #2 pick, so no need for an OT.  Toon was arguably the best WR in the game for a year or two and played at a very high level before the concussions and Kotite genius took their toll. 

Agreed... Watching those guys in 85/86 made me a Jets fan for life. 

Actually, now that I think of it like that.. maybe he was a terrible pick.. I coulda been a Giants fan!

While I am at it, Bryan Thomas and Jonathan Vilma were good Jets as well.  Thomas was very durable and long-tenured.  Vilma was an elite ILB that we just changed schemes on.  Ditto James Farrior - very good player, the fact that the Jets failed to keep him doesn't make him a bad draft pick.  Marvin Jones - another good Jet LB - he argurably underperformed, but was a solid ILB for a long time on some good teams, and please go back to that 93 draft and tell me what defensive players you'd rather have taken.  How about Aaron Glenn?  One of the Jets' alltime best CBs.  And again, go back to that draft and tell me what defensive player you would have drafted.

Also, during the AFL years the Jets drafted Matt Snell and Joe Namath in the first round.

Also, you forgot Sheldon Richardson, but who's counting at this point.

In sum, this thread is ass.

I don't think Toon made it to the Kotite era. I think his last season came under Coslet. Toon caught a TD pass from O'Brien in the Jets 17-10 playoff loss to Houston in Coslet's second season. The third season was Nagle and I think Toon was done by then. I can buy the argument that Toon was an ok first rounder but it could have been better.

Rice never would have been what he became with the Jets. Montana never would have been what he became who he became without the 49ers and Walsh.

Yeah, would also like to know (seriously) why Keyshawn Johnson was an awful pick.  Guy was very productive.

Because of who the Jets could have had instead. Ray Lewis (HOF LB) was available (Jets had top pick in draft) as was Marvin Harrison who was faster and a better receiver than Key. Key was productive but devisive as well, calling Wayne Chrebet 'the team mascot' and was a me guy. Not a awful pick, but certainly could have been much better. Plus, when he came here he immediately clashed with the very clashable Kotite and did not become good until Parcells arrived and put a bit in his mouth.

Because of who the Jets could have had instead. Ray Lewis (HOF LB) was available (Jets had top pick in draft) as was Marvin Harrison who was faster and a better receiver than Key. Key was productive but devisive as well, calling Wayne Chrebet 'the team mascot' and was a me guy. Not a awful pick, but certainly could have been much better. Plus, when he came here he immediately clashed with the very clashable Kotite and did not become good until Parcells arrived and put a bit in his mouth.

Those guys went 19th and 26th, respectively.  Hindsight, something something.

While I am at it, Bryan Thomas and Jonathan Vilma were good Jets as well.  Thomas was very durable and long-tenured.  Vilma was an elite ILB that we just changed schemes on.  Ditto James Farrior - very good player, the fact that the Jets failed to keep him doesn't make him a bad draft pick.  Marvin Jones - another good Jet LB - he argurably underperformed, but was a solid ILB for a long time on some good teams, and please go back to that 93 draft and tell me what defensive players you'd rather have taken.  How about Aaron Glenn?  One of the Jets' alltime best CBs.  And again, go back to that draft and tell me what defensive player you would have drafted.

Also, during the AFL years the Jets drafted Matt Snell and Joe Namath in the first round.

Also, you forgot Sheldon Richardson, but who's counting at this point.

In sum, this thread is ass.

You make a good point on Richardson and Glenn who were both very solid picks. Thomas was average at best and Vilma and Farrior didn't stick around long. As for Marvin Jones he was ok, but three HOF ers went after him - Willie Roaf, Jerome Bettis and Michael Strahan (not HOF yet, but will be). I would add Richardson and Glenn to the list.

Al Toon had the best set of hands of any receiver I have ever seen, Dude caught everything no matter where it was thrown, and went over the middle with fearless abandon. Of course, thats what led to his demise as he took vicious head shots, but always held onto the ball. Great player and class guy.

To be fair to the OP, if you look at the Jets draft history to other teams in the league over the same time period, I would say that overall, the JETS drafts have been very poor, and probably somewhere near the bottom with regards to number of pro-bowlers, quality players, and late round diamonds.

Yeah, would also like to know (seriously) why Keyshawn Johnson was an awful pick.  Guy was very productive.

Not awful BUT based on being #1 OVERALL, in my opinion an underacheiver. In hindsight, which is easy, Key was a big strong POSSESION receiver who could not really go deep and stretch a field. He should never have been an overall #1 , and now that I think of it, has any other organization EVER taken a wideout #1 overall? I doubt it.

#1 overall is for QB, Blindside Tackle, and monster pass rusher.  Then you may throw in a complete MONSTER RB, or LB but never a WR, TE, DB etc. Bad mistake by Jets as usual, when having the top pick.

I don't think Toon made it to the Kotite era. I think his last season came under Coslet. Toon caught a TD pass from O'Brien in the Jets 17-10 playoff loss to Houston in Coslet's second season. The third season was Nagle and I think Toon was done by then. I can buy the argument that Toon was an ok first rounder but it could have been better.

Kotite was the OC.  

Toon probably got him the job in Phillie.

I won't go into the number of busts or simply bad players the Jets have taken with their first round picks through the years - THAT list would be very lengthy - in 1974 ALONE the Jets missed on four HOF players - Lynn Swann, Mike Webster, Dave Casper and Jack Lambert. I will list the ones that were good to pretty good.

1971 - John Riggins.

1977 - Marvin Powell

1979 - Marty Lyons

1981 - Freeman McNeil

2007 - Darrelle Revis

2011 - Mo Wilkerson

That's it folks. Pretty shabby, though it has gotten better in the 2000's than it was before, which was rather disgusting collection of missed chances like Jerry Rice (Al Toon), Dan Marino (Ken O'Brien) and Emmitt Smith (Blair Thomas) to name just a few.

You know you can do the same thing for pretty much every team in the league. 

Was Rich Kotite the best GM we've ever had?

He added 6 solid players in two years - though Sapp would have been much better pick than Brady - Brady was like a 6th OL.

Kyle Brady

Hugh Douglas

Matt O'Dwyer

Keyshawn Johnson

Ray Mickens

Marcus Coleman

Also Chrebet, courtesy of Joe Gardi as an UFA.

Was Parcells the worst?

4 years of the Tuna brought:

Jason Fergueson

Jason Fabini

Randy Thomas

Ryan Young

Shaun Ellis

John Abraham

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

Laveraneus Coles

Overall our draft history MUST be the worst in the NFL.  Sadly, Izdik is our most accomplished GM since Dick Steinberg - thought his drafts stunk. 

He added 6 solid players in two years - though Sapp would have been much better pick than Brady - Brady was like a 6th OL.

Kyle Brady

Hugh Douglas

Matt O'Dwyer

Keyshawn Johnson

Ray Mickens

Marcus Coleman

Was Parcells the worst?

Jason Fergueson

Jason Fabini

Randy Thomas

Ryan Young

Shaun Ellis

John Abraham

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

Laveraneus Coles

Overall our draft history MUST be the worst in the NFL.  Sadly, Izdik is our most accomplished GM since Dick Steinberg - thought his drafts stunk. 

:face:

Every fan of every team with the possible exception of 2-3 feel the same way.

:face:

Every fan of every team with the possible exception of 2-3 feel the same way.

Just give me 2 Great years out of the last 45 and I would be happy, you know, like 1998, and 2012 for the INDIANAPLOIS COLTS. All the other drafts can suck, just give me 2 yrs like this out of the past 45 and I would be tickled to death.

1971 - John Riggins.

1977 - Marvin Powell

1979 - Marty Lyons

1981 - Freeman McNeil

2007 - Darrelle Revis

2011 - Mo Wilkerson

You left Anthony Becht off the only draft in NFL history where a team had 4, count 'em, 4 first round picks.  Oh, the horror!

Not awful BUT based on being #1 OVERALL, in my opinion an underacheiver. In hindsight, which is easy, Key was a big strong POSSESION receiver who could not really go deep and stretch a field. He should never have been an overall #1 , and now that I think of it, has any other organization EVER taken a wideout #1 overall? I doubt it.

#1 overall is for QB, Blindside Tackle, and monster pass rusher.  Then you may throw in a complete MONSTER RB, or LB but never a WR, TE, DB etc. Bad mistake by Jets as usual, when having the top pick.

Irving Fryar was taken #1 overall by the Pats

You left Anthony Becht off the only draft in NFL history where a team had 4, count 'em, 4 first round picks.  Oh, the horror!

The worst part is if you look at the 31 players drafted in that 1st round it could quite possibly be the worst 1st round talent wise in the history of the NFL draft. Only the Jets would have 4 1st rounders in that draft of all drafts!

Thanks, forgot about him. Nebraska I believe and again, Fryar aws a good player but not really worth a #1 overall.

If only they had drafted a stud... like Carl Banks.  Or held out for a QB, like Boomer, Hostetler or Jay Schoeder. Who would want a guy that is top 20 all time in receptions, yards, TDs and all-purpose yards all time?  

1993, Marvin Jones, pretty good player

1994, Aaron Glenn, REALLY good player

1995, Hugh Douglas, pretty good but didn't get along with cs

Shade Tree is the kind of guy that I don't consider a bad pick, but I would not hold him out as a very good choice.  A very good player when healthy, but he was dinged up a lot early and I think the injuries sapped his speed a buch.  He ended up being a dinosaur LB playing Herm's D which wanted more speed at LB.  Sort of the reverse of Vilma when Mangini came to town. 

Kyle Brady

Hugh Douglas

Matt O'Dwyer

Keyshawn Johnson

Ray Mickens

Marcus Coleman

Was Parcells the worst?

Jason Fergueson

Jason Fabini

Randy Thomas

Ryan Young

Shaun Ellis

John Abraham

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

Laveraneus Coles

All of Tuna's picks were solid except for Becht. Every one of those guys was a starter and Jets were dumb to let Thomas and Ryan Young leave. Ellis was solid as was Abraham (though injury prone) Fabini was the starting LT for four years and while Tom Brady proved to be a better QB he was not highly regarded out of Michigan where he couldn't even take the starting job. Coles was a fabulous WR and one of my faves. Caught everything thrown his way. Don't see your point here.

Not to mention how our QB's had him getting destroyed on every play. Joe Walton even made him play with a broken back.

Archived