Rex supporters unite

stoicsentry

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sir are a typical Jets fan.  This is an NFL player.  A legit NFL player with jobs on 3 teams.  A guy who plays actual offensive snaps.Not a star does not equal sucks. 

Obviously the reference is based on competition vs other NFL players. In that respect he is just not a good football player. With us he constantly whiffed on blocks and since he's been with 2 teams now after leaving he failed to catch on with one of those teams, obviously, which means he did not do his job there either.

Not sure in this instance what your comparing me too as to being a "typical Jets Fan," I watch a lot of football, not "just" the Jets. So if you think I'm one of those fans who only watches one team your sadly mistaken.

So I will change my description of John Conner for you and say he's just not a good NFL player simply because I've seen actual "good" NFL players get labeled as "suck" on this very forum, players who just didn't deserve that label from a professional comparison.

Only one player on the recent Jets should have ever been labeled as suck and that's Vernon Gholston . Miliner might not be far behind :)

Obviously the reference is based on competition vs other NFL players. In that respect he is just not a good football player. With us he constantly whiffed on blocks and since he's been with 2 teams now after leaving he failed to catch on with one of those teams, obviously, which means he did not do his job there either.

Not sure in this instance what your comparing me too as to being a "typical Jets Fan," I watch a lot of football, not "just" the Jets. So if you think I'm one of those fans who only watches one team your sadly mistaken.

So I will change my description of John Conner for you and say he's just not a good NFL player simply because I've seen actual "good" NFL players get labeled as "suck" on this very forum, players who just didn't deserve that label from a professional comparison.

Only one player on the recent Jets should have ever been labeled as suck and that's Vernon Gholston . Miliner might not be far behind :)

If the term "sucks" is synonymous with "historically bad", one of the "worst ever", then I believe you can put Mark Sanchez in this category, as he has the stats and numbers to back it up. If the term "sucks" as it relates to football means something other than"historically bad" or "worst ever". then I believe that many of us if not all of us have unfairly labeled players this since the day we learned that "term". Is that a fair assessment?

If the term "sucks" is synonymous with "historically bad", one of the "worst ever", then I believe you can put Mark Sanchez in this category, as he has the stats and numbers to back it up. If the term "sucks" as it relates to football means something other than"historically bad" or "worst ever". then I believe that many of us if not all of us have unfairly labeled players this since the day we learned that "term". Is that a fair assessment?

Yeah but in the case of Mark Sanchez he actually played decent his first 2 years 13td 17 int in 09 to 17 td 13 int in 10 that's not historically bad for the first 2 seasons of a QB. He didn't start getting really bad until season 3 when he had 26 turnovers and 26 TD passes and 6 rushing TD's. Most QB's who are historically bad never ever approach those TD numbers Mark Just could not protect the football and that was his biggest fault. Not sure why after year 2 he fell off the planet in year 3 but he certainly did and year 4 was just all around terrible but we all know he was dealing with total crap and probably had less available to him than Geno did this year. Both Cumberland and Keller got hurt Hill was hurt all year as was Holmes and there was not a back on the team worth a crap. He literally had no safety valve at all and the O line was at its worst

Having Rex as your HC is like dating a stripper....

It's very exciting at first, and everything goes well for a while.

But eventually you have to realize she is a stripper and she can only do one thing well.

At some point you have to look for a girl who can do everything well. She might not be as good at that one thing the stripper is good at, but as long as she is good enough, and does other things well, it's a good trade off.

The nail in Wrecks' coffin-Ed Reed. The guy is done.DONE, OVER, FINISHED. He is here only because Wrecks wants him here.Even possible Idizk in low animal cunning mode did it because he knows it makes Wreccks even easier to fire in a few weeks. And that a washed up old guy could be handed a starting safety job over players Wrecks has had here already for half as eason tells you more about his lack of player development skills than anything else.How bad are the guys already here and little have they developed if you even entertain signing Reed?

Yeah but in the case of Mark Sanchez he actually played decent his first 2 years 13td 17 int in 09 to 17 td 13 int in 10 that's not historically bad for the first 2 seasons of a QB. He didn't start getting really bad until season 3 when he had 26 turnovers and 26 TD passes and 6 rushing TD's. Most QB's who are historically bad never ever approach those TD numbers Mark Just could not protect the football and that was his biggest fault. Not sure why after year 2 he fell off the planet in year 3 but he certainly did and year 4 was just all around terrible but we all know he was dealing with total crap and probably had less available to him than Geno did this year. Both Cumberland and Keller got hurt Hill was hurt all year as was Holmes and there was not a back on the team worth a crap. He literally had no safety valve at all and the O line was at its worst

smash! by any stat he was a bottom 1/3 QB in year 2 and one of the abdolute worst in year 1 , 3 and 4.. he never had a "decent" season by any definition of the word decent that I know... you are so weird when it comes to QB evaluation

smash! by any stat he was a bottom 1/3 QB in year 2 and one of the abdolute worst in year 1 , 3 and 4.. he never had a "decent" season by any definition of the word decent that I know... you are so weird when it comes to QB evaluation

decent in the respect that year one he was a rookie and it was expected and in year 2 no matter how small of an improvement he only had 13 ints ( I believe 5 were in one game) to 17 TD's and that's not terrible. I think you are over the top in your hatred of QB's on this team and you never take into account the lack of talent we have on offense. I realize he was bottom third in the NFL but more goes into that than just blaming it all on the QB.

In the playoffs he played good and at the very least we thought maybe he would be a clutch playoff performer. He has the tools to be a good QB but I do not think he has a grasp on the mental aspect of the game. I would have liked to see him under MM but that might not have been much different because the skill players on this team are still a disgrace by NFL standards.

If this team went out and stocked up on talent and Sanchez still sucked well then there's not much to argue about . Keeping in mind last year he had worse than what Geno is currently working with. Problem I have with Geno is that he has bad mechanics and they have not improved and they probably wont Sanchez didn't have those issues I honestly think this organization ruined him in a big time way. You have the stats on your side of the argument, no doubt about that .

Hey, cool. While you guys are here, can you help me prove a theory I've been working on? Thanks. After saying "I'm a fan of Rex Ryan," please answer these five questions and leave the paper face down on your desks. Thanks.

1. A special lottery is to be held to select the student who will live in the only deluxe room in a dormitory. There are 100 seniors, 150 juniors, and 200 sophomores who applied. Each senior's name is placed in the lottery 3 times; each junior's name, 2times; and each sophomore's name, 1 time. What is the probability that a senior's name will be chosen?

(A) 1/8

(B.) 2/9

(C.) 2/7

(D) 3/8

(E) 1/2

2. Complete the Sentence: Because King Philip's desire to make Spain the dominant power in sixteenth-century Europe ran counter to Queen Elizabeth's insistence on autonomy for England, ------- was -------.

(A) reconciliation . . assured

(B.) warfare . . avoidable

(C.) ruination . . impossible

(D) conflict . . inevitable

(E) diplomacy . . simple

3. Name the current Speaker of the House.

4. At a recent birthday party there were four mothers and their children. aged 1, 2, 3 and 4. From the clues below can you work out whose child is whose and their relevant ages? It was Jane's child's birthday party. Brian is not the oldest child. Sarah had Anne just over a year ago. Laura's child will be 3 next birthday. Daniel is older than Charlie. Teresa's child is the oldest. Charlie is older than Laura's child.

5. True or False: If Richard looks into a mirror and touches his left ear with his right hand, Richard's image seems to touch its right ear with its left hand.

If Cliff puts together any notes on this post I would love to check them out.  Thanks.

Is it easy to find another QB?  So many teams, the Jets included, have not been able to find one.  They seemed to try with Stanton and then ended up with Tebow - we have read that was Woody move.  I don't know how much to believe about that.  They tried this year and Geno isn't ready.  You guys all act like Rex is sitting there clapping his hands and saying "Yay!  Sanchez!"  Rex sure didn't cut any decent QBs in his time here. 

He sure didn't draft or sign any either. The Rex Jets passed on Russell Wilson for the wildly successful WR Stephen Hill. I'll take THAT move every day of the week (crying now).

The nail in Wrecks' coffin-Ed Reed. The guy is done.DONE, OVER, FINISHED. He is here only because Wrecks wants him here.Even possible Idizk in low animal cunning mode did it because he knows it makes Wreccks even easier to fire in a few weeks. And that a washed up old guy could be handed a starting safety job over players Wrecks has had here already for half as eason tells you more about his lack of player development skills than anything else.How bad are the guys already here and little have they developed if you even entertain signing Reed?

Rex never met an aging underachiever he DIDN'T like. Especially an ancient one from Baltimore. BARF Scott move over for Ed Reed.

OK, lets do the pluses and minuses, as put up by most posters:

Pluses:

1. Great D-coordinator

2. Players coach/players love to play for him

3. Motivates

4. Develops great D-talent

Minuses

1. Cant spell offense

2. Is loyal to a fault

3. Could never develop Offensive talent and especailly a franchise QB

4. Awful game manager/Clock manager.Time out manager

5. Challenges are awful

So basically you get a 50/50 guy who's record so indicates a .500 record. Is this worth extending? If you like mediocrity, definitely but if you want this franchise to advance to the next level, I say no. Comments?

Great D-Coordinator - Fact. Players love to play for him - False, I have seen MANY instances where Jets effort appeared to be highly questionable. The game vs Miami comes to mind with Rex saying it was "the most important game of the year". Miami 23-3, nuff said about Rex's supposed 'motivational' ability. Develops defensive players - Dee Milliner sure looks great out there doesn't he? Bullsh*t joewillie.

Rex never met an aging underachiever he DIDN'T like. Especially an ancient one from Baltimore. BARF Scott move over for Ed Reed.

Ray Lewis, wont answer Rex's calls.

Here's a question are you Rex haters actually Patriots fans in disguise? when Rex and the Jets are in trouble you all get wood. It's very lively in here for a team circling the toilet.  

People always say "except for the DL" Rex Ryan is terrible. Substitute the Jets for Rex Ryan and that's this team. a great DL with pretty awful players starting in every other unit. 

I will sign this petition. Rex should stay. His run defense is the only decent part of this team and throwing that away is just being spiteful. this weekend btw is exactly the type of game they win. When everyone thinks they are terrible. 

And you will be a small party of sad folks when Rex gets his much deserved pink slip, hours after the last game.

Great D-Coordinator - Fact. Players love to play for him - False, I have seen MANY instances where Jets effort appeared to be highly questionable. The game vs Miami comes to mind with Rex saying it was "the most important game of the year". Miami 23-3, nuff said about Rex's supposed 'motivational' ability. Develops defensive players - Dee Milliner sure looks great out there doesn't he? Bullsh*t joewillie.

Mexi, easy, I was merely listing the traits that OTHER listers were suggesting to fairly or unfairly describe REX. Do I agree with the 4 pluses? Of course not, but they were reasons given by various listers, not myself,

My plus list would be extremely shorter.

John Conner was cut because he got hurt (MCL sprain) and was fighting it all season. He's currently playing real snaps for the Giants. 

Rex's hand-picked guy was a bust from his first snap with the Jets.  He did absolutely nothing to impress or live up to the "Terminator" hype.  You gotta love revisionist history in defense of a crappy player.  The guy has done zilch, zip, nada.

Good for him. He doesn't touch the ball and he's not a lineman. If you want to get semantical about it, "sucks" is less precise than "marginal NFL player."

OMG!  He doesn't touch the ball! He's a fifth round draft pick.  Marginal NFL player = expected to good draft pick.  He is a guy that will fit in well on certain teams and not have a role on others.  He doesn't fit with Mornhinweg, that is for sure.  Vilma doesn't suck because he was too small for Mangini. 

He sure didn't draft or sign any either. The Rex Jets passed on Russell Wilson for the wildly successful WR Stephen Hill. I'll take THAT move every day of the week (crying now).

Rex Ryan doesn't draft well? Maybe we shouldn't hire him as scout or GM.  The Niners took AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James before Wilson went.  They must be idiots too.

OMG! He doesn't touch the ball! He's a fifth round draft pick. Marginal NFL player = expected to good draft pick. He is a guy that will fit in well on certain teams and not have a role on others. He doesn't fit with Mornhinweg, that is for sure. Vilma doesn't suck because he was too small for Mangini.

He's a marginal NFL player at a position that's all but obsolete. It was a wasted pick. I have no clue where you're coming from with the Vilma thing. This is edging dangerously close to one of bit's tortured exegeses on why DRob was a good player simply because he didn't wash out of the league until he was 27.

He's a marginal NFL player at a position that's all but obsolete. It was a wasted pick. I have no clue where you're coming from with the Vilma thing. This is edging dangerously close to one of bit's tortured exegeses on why DRob was a good player simply because he didn't wash out of the league until he was 27.

John Connor was a typical 5th round pick.  He was not a good pick or a bad pick.  Idzik has several that appear to be worse and he was far from Tannenbaum's worst pick THAT draft.  The position may be heading towards obsolescence, but the Jets were using it and needed one. Acting like that pick is some big problem with Rex is silly.

John Connor was a typical 5th round pick. He was not a good pick or a bad pick. Idzik has several that appear to be worse and he was far from Tannenbaum's worst pick THAT draft. The position may be heading towards obsolescence, but the Jets were using it and needed one. Acting like that pick is some big problem with Rex is silly.

I didn't say anything about Rex; him burning a 5 on a guy who would have been a Hall of Famer in the 1940s is the football version of the old woman and the snake. I do blame Tannenbaum for giving him a pick to burn in the first place. I also tire of the logic that because our team excels at picking sh*tty players, finding one who lasts beyond his first TC without being cut is somehow beating the odds. Do you think Steelers fans are patting themselves on the back about Daniel Sepulveda?

OMG!  He doesn't touch the ball! He's a fifth round draft pick.  Marginal NFL player = expected to good draft pick.  He is a guy that will fit in well on certain teams and not have a role on others.  He doesn't fit with Mornhinweg, that is for sure.  Vilma doesn't suck because he was too small for Mangini. 

Rex Ryan doesn't draft well? Maybe we shouldn't hire him as scout or GM.  The Niners took AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James before Wilson went.  They must be idiots too.

No Dom he was a bad blocker and did a poor job at being a FB no one ever said he was supposed to be more than that. Why are you referring to something that never existed ? He missed assignments and was a poor pass blocker when asked to do that. Rex saw him lay out a LB on film and said he had to have that guy so Tanny got him in the 5th round ...that's exactly how Rex explained it. I would not doubt if that was the extent of Rex's scouting of the guy because Rex is an Idiot. This guy could have been signed as a UDFA IMO

I have tried to reply to this a few times and keep getting booted, so I give up.  I am not fighting with dbutt, I agree with him. I am fighting with Smash.  Connor is not a bad player.  Period.  He is a decent player at a disappearing position.  Connor indicates pretty much nothing about Ryan, good or bad, except that he spouts off too much.

dude i could write a PhD dissertation on the Drob pick. He had 16 career sacks in 5 years for a DT it's not awful. Not gholston level awful at least.

People hated the Drob pick because of the trade up. But what most fans don't remember is how crappy that first round was. The picks literally turned into Michael Haynes (who the Jets eventually picked up) and Rex Grossman. 

this is bound 2 get me abuse but im gonna say it anyway:

when we talk about busts and bad Jets picks Drob and Conner don't rank up in my personal top 5 because there was not much opportunity for better picks. Those were rough drafts. Should the Jets have taken Kevin Williams instead of Drob? Conner in late 5 the fact he's even in the league is above par.

Nugent is another one people always bring up...who ended up being a franchise tagged kicker... that draft also stunk in that year and where the Jets were picking. Justin Miller made the Pro Bowl as a returner that wasn't an awful pick by objective draft pick standards. Most of these picks end up being worthless it's the great open secret of the draft. 

for the record Gholston is in my top 5 of bust just cause of how little production he had. truly awful. Altho it was a barren top end (Darren McFadden was the guy everyone wanted, great career he's had). still VG is the bust of all busts production-wise. He couldn't earn snaps and was drummed out of football quickly. Lesson learned hopefully a draft pick needs to have heart. 

Kyle Brady over Sapp. Blair over Emmitt.  these are picks that hurt worse than Drob. At least in my book. Cause there was a shot at greatness. Even guys who I like for example Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed,  Obrien over Marino or Toon over Rice are tough ones to swallow in hindsight. 

decent in the respect that year one he was a rookie and it was expected and in year 2 no matter how small of an improvement he only had 13 ints ( I believe 5 were in one game) to 17 TD's and that's not terrible. I think you are over the top in your hatred of QB's on this team and you never take into account the lack of talent we have on offense. I realize he was bottom third in the NFL but more goes into that than just blaming it all on the QB.

In the playoffs he played good and at the very least we thought maybe he would be a clutch playoff performer. He has the tools to be a good QB but I do not think he has a grasp on the mental aspect of the game. I would have liked to see him under MM but that might not have been much different because the skill players on this team are still a disgrace by NFL standards.

If this team went out and stocked up on talent and Sanchez still sucked well then there's not much to argue about . Keeping in mind last year he had worse than what Geno is currently working with. Problem I have with Geno is that he has bad mechanics and they have not improved and they probably wont Sanchez didn't have those issues I honestly think this organization ruined him in a big time way. You have the stats on your side of the argument, no doubt about that .

His completion % was terrible and year 2 was the year he lead the league in dropped INT's. as bad as Crusher is at dieting, that's how bad Sanchez was at QB'ing . And I'm sorry, the 2010 Jets had a lot of talent in skill positions.. you seem to think a QB needs to be surrounded by 10 all pros , but that was a well above average group we had

dude i could write a PhD dissertation on the Drob pick. He had 16 career sacks in 5 years for a DT it's not awful. Not gholston level awful at least.

People hated the Drob pick because of the trade up. But what most fans don't remember is how crappy that first round was. The picks literally turned into Michael Haynes (who the Jets eventually picked up) and Rex Grossman.

when we talk about busts and bad Jets picks Drob and Conner don't rank up in my personal top 5 because there was not much opportunity for better picks. Those were rough drafts. Should the Jets have taken Kevin Williams instead of Drob? Conner in late 5 the fact he's even in the league is above par.

Nugent is another one people always bring up...who ended up being a franchise tagged kicker... that draft also stunk in that year and where the Jets were picking. Justin Miller made the Pro Bowl as a returner that wasn't an awful pick by objective draft pick standards. Most of these picks end up being worthless it's the great open secret of the draft.

for the record Gholston is in my top 5 of bust just cause of how little production he had. truly awful. Altho it was a barren top end (Darren McFadden was the guy everyone wanted, great career he's had). still VG is the bust of all busts production-wise. He couldn't earn snaps and was drummed out of football quickly. Lesson learned hopefully a draft pick needs to have heart.

Kyle Brady over Sapp. Blair over Emmitt. these are picks that hurt worse than Drob. At least in my book. Cause there was a shot at greatness. Even guys who I like for example Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed, Obrien over Marino or Toon over Rice are tough ones to swallow in hindsight.

Gotta give credit where it's due. This is all true.

Kyle Brady over Sapp. Blair over Emmitt.  these are picks that hurt worse than Drob. At least in my book. Cause there was a shot at greatness. Even guys who I like for example Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed,  Obrien over Marino or Toon over Rice are tough ones to swallow in hindsight. 

A lot going on here.

1. Fair point about the weakness of the 2000 draft, especially at the top, but 16.5 sacks in six seasons for a top-5 three-tech is dogsh*t. It obviously doesn't hurt like Brady over Sapp et al, but the Drob was a pure-D bust.

2. Agreed that Conner isn't a "bust," per se, because it's tough for a 5th-round FB to be a bust, but that's missing the point. The problem with Conner is that anyone with a brain knew the pick was a waste the second we turned in the card.

3. Nugent was a kicker taken #47 overall. He's one of the worst picks in NFL history. Justin Miller is a pure ST player taken at #57 overall, which is absolutely an awful pick by any objective standard. 

4. Drafting is hard. Drafting is not random. I get that "most picks end up being worthless," but isn't it an odd coincidence that year after year, certain teams end up with fewer worthless players than others?

5. Relative to draft position and team need, and leaving out the times we chose a guy like O'Brien over a guy like Marino, yeah, Gholston is probably the worst.

4. Drafting is hard. Drafting is not random. I get that "most picks end up being worthless," but isn't it an odd coincidence that year after year, certain teams end up with fewer worthless players than others?

+ 1,000,000

People like Bit choose to think of the draft as pure luck, like roulette.

It's not.  It's more like poker.  Yes, there's a fair amount of luck involved, but generally the same players keep ending up at the final table.  

+ 1,000,000

People like Bit choose to think of the draft as pure luck, like roulette.

It's not.  It's more like poker.  Yes, there's a fair amount of luck involved, but generally the same players keep ending up at the final table.  

it's not pure luck i never said that... btw if the draft was like poker, Mike tannenbaum's trade up for Revis was winning a bracelet. Maybe not the main event but something you can put on your resume. wasn't enough to keep his job but arguably the best Jets draft pick since WIlly at 1.1 in 1967.

it's not pure luck i never said that... btw if the draft was like poker, Mike tannenbaum's trade up for Revis was winning a bracelet. Maybe not the main event but something you can put on your resume. wasn't enough to keep his job but arguably the best Jets draft pick since WIlly at 1.1 in 1967.

The obvious problem being that 75% of his other moves were the equivalent of being first out of the $5 my college roommates used to hold on Tuesday nights.

Archived