Marty found Nick Foles first

bitonti

the Jets should find a coach who knows how to find and develop franchise QB's...

One day during the 2012 offseason, Marty Mornhinweg turned on the college tape of Nick Foles and liked what he saw. So he walked down the second floor corridor at the NovaCare Complex and into Andy Reid's office.

"I said, 'Have you seen this Foles kid?'" Mornhinweg said recently to The Inquirer. "So he watches him, likes what he's watching and says, 'Where's Doug?'"

Doug Pederson, the Eagles quarterback coach, was on the road. He was working out other quarterbacks and by coincidence was scheduled next to be in Phoenix to visit Brock Osweiler, the 6-foot-7 Arizona State quarterback.

"We're like, shoot, let's get him over to work out Foles instead," Mornhinweg recalled. "So we had our people redirect Doug to Tuscon."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20131208_How_the_Eagles_landed_Foles.html#UhkiZqRcRm7oHZmI.99

Nick Foles isn't a franchise QB. Nick Foles is Ryan Mallett.

um yeah whatever dude

it's a good article btw

The Eagles had the 25th pick in the third round. Reid, who had final say on all football decisions, had Wilson rated slightly ahead of Foles, per Mornhinweg. Mornhinweg said he had Foles slightly ahead of Wilson. The difference was marginal.

But the Seahawks took Wilson with the 12th pick in the third round and the Eagles selected Foles 13 picks later.

"It was a calculated risk," Mornhinweg said.

Reid and Mornhinweg are gone, but the risk is paying dividends.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238526/article/geno-smith-impressed-ny-jets-in-second-predraft-meeting

In fact, the Jets' early impressions of Smith came in a meeting at the NFL Scouting Combine with all members of the team's brass, sources informed of the quarterback's draft process said. The Jets felt he was lethargic, disinterested and tired -- unimpressive.

They were convinced to have a second meeting, which came at a dinner in Morgantown, W.Va. The meeting involved Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and several scouts (but not Ryan or general manager John Idzik).

That's where Mornhinweg was sold, where he discovered that Smith's personality and love of football matched his tape. The Jets viewed Smith as a "completely different guy." He was engaged, more into football. Mornhinweg also was in love with Smith based on his game tape.

After the second meeting, they were smitten, though obviously not enough to make Smith a first-round draft pick.

Mornhinweg remains a big fan of Smith's upside and believes Geno is a better option under center even if Sanchez is fully healthy. Smith will have a chance to show that Mornhinweg is right in the season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But Smith already has the support of the man running the Gang Green offense, and that's bound to count for a lot.

another reaction to this... Nick Foles actually lost like all the games he started his first year. Maybe there's hope for Geno? Marty does have a serious resume with QBs. the list of guys he's worked with/had a hand in developing is top notch. 

another reaction to this... Nick Foles actually lost like all the games he started his first year. Maybe there's hope for Geno? Marty does have a serious resume with QBs. the list of guys he's worked with/had a hand in developing is top notch.

That was kinda my point. Either that, or Marty's not nearly as smart as you think he is. Or both. Bully!

Yeah Nick Foles was terrible when Marty was OC,  the team fires everybody, brings in a new staff,  and suddenly Foles is Manning.   Why the hell would Marty get any credit for that?   Now if the Jets fire everybody, bring in a new staff, and Geno winds up like Foles,  it's the new staff who should get credit, not Marty.    

Where do these crap articles come from? 

The Jets passed on Geno twice in the first round and only took him in the 2nd because he was there. WTF are they talking about with "in love with him"?

Geno is a Jet due to circumstance, not determination from the Jets on coming away from the draft with him on the team.

Yeah Nick Foles was terrible when Marty was OC,  the team fires everybody, brings in a new staff,  and suddenly Foles is Manning.   Why the hell would Marty get any credit for that?   Now if the Jets fire everybody, bring in a new staff, and Geno winds up like Foles,  it's the new staff who should get credit, not Marty.    

I believe the team also gave Foles another year of reps and experience, improved the offensive line, the RB is healthy, and they added a couple other offensive weapons.

Experience and time in the league doesn't matter though.

dude... thats ridiculous to ONLY look at wins and losses when evaluating a qbs skill,  just check out his rookie numbers there actually really good 60% completion 6td 5 int, he wasnt horrible at all just a promising rookie. Geno is not. There is no light at the end of the tunnel just a brick wall and Geno has hit that wall 3 games ago

He would truly stun me in he pans out because he is showing absolutely nothing.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7475/nick-foles foles' rookie season

Geno has struggled as ALL (or most) rookie QB's will. It's up to MM to show his faith in him by letting him throw the damn ball. Find a way to give Brick help so Geno won't be sacked in 0.2 seconds and throw it man.

Geno has struggled as ALL (or most) rookie QB's will. It's up to MM to show his faith in him by letting him throw the damn ball. Find a way to give Brick help so Geno won't be sacked in 0.2 seconds and throw it man.

Actually, it's Marty's job to make sure Geno is put in a position to succeed and that's often with manageable 3rd downs and only take calculated shots. Having a rookie sling the ball around is usually what leads to big mistakes. Look at all the succesfull teams with rookie and sophomore QBs, they run it more and throw it less, not the other way around...unless your name is Andrew Luck.

Actually, it's Marty's job to make sure Geno is put in a position to succeed and that's often with manageable 3rd downs and only take calculated shots. Having a rookie sling the ball around is usually what leads to big mistakes. Look at all the succesfull teams with rookie and sophomore QBs, they run it more and throw it less, not the other way around...unless your name is Andrew Luck.

I think they have been horrible in game planking in the three games prior to the Raiders.

The teams were sacking the box and we kept running into it, and only let Geno throw on 3rd and long most series.

If you want a young QB to succeed, or any QB, you have to call plays to take what the defense gives you some times.

Running into a stacked line and throwing on third and long with WRs who can't beat press coverage is a sure way to make any young QB look like crap.

Aka Rex Ryan football

Speaking of Brock Osweiler, any interest in throwing a pick to the Broncos for next year's TC competition? Probably not

Ordinarily I don't have much interest in a pick for a guy who we know nothing more about than the day he was drafted.  At least his clipboard-holding days have been fulfilled, and it wasn't exactly Sanchez he was holding the clipboard for over these past 2 seasons.

That being said, he's thrown 7 passes (all of them meaningless snaps) in 2 seasons.  The best thing one could say about him is Denver hasn't sought to replace him as their #2 QB.  Then again, that's what they'd be doing if they traded him before anyone else could get a serious look at him.  Didn't exactly set the world on fire in pre-season, but that may be less than worthless.

He is tall, so 6'5 and 6'6 guards wouldn't be much of an issue. So there's that.

I don't watch too much college ball, so I'll defer to others on just how good this QB class is as opposed to what it's rumored to be in early December.  But when such a class is coming out, it doesn't seem like the optimal time to throw draft picks at other teams' 3-year veterans who have never started a regular-season game.

I believe the team also gave Foles another year of reps and experience, improved the offensive line, the RB is healthy, and they added a couple other offensive weapons.

Experience and time in the league doesn't matter though.

The Eagles have been an underachieving team for years.   They have talent on offense, maybe some of the best in the NFL.   Reid and Marty did absolutely nothing with that talent the last few seasons with Foles or Vick, hell even with Mcnabb.     So giving Marty credit for something the coaching staff has done this year is ridiculous.   The Eagles were horrible for awhile this season and suddenly they've become the fantasy football offense.      Maybe it has something to do with Chip Kelly and his staff and not Marty.

Coaches need to put their players in the best position and the players need to perform.   The Jets offense stunk last season.  The Jets offense is even worse this year.   I'm not saying Marty has been terrible, but it's absurd to start giving credit to a guy who hasn't really had a damn thing to do with Foles success this year.   So far we've seen how great Geno has been under Marty.

The Eagles have been an underachieving team for years. They have talent on offense, maybe some of the best in the NFL. Reid and Marty did absolutely nothing with that talent the last few seasons with Foles or Vick, hell even with Mcnabb. So giving Marty credit for something the coaching staff has done this year is ridiculous. The Eagles were horrible for awhile this season and suddenly they've become the fantasy football offense. Maybe it has something to do with Chip Kelly and his staff and not Marty.

Coaches need to put their players in the best position and the players need to perform. The Jets offense stunk last season. The Jets offense is even worse this year. I'm not saying Marty has been terrible, but it's absurd to start giving credit to a guy who hasn't really had a damn thing to do with Foles success this year. So far we've seen how great Geno has been under Marty.

You invalided your whole argument once you said

"The Jets offense stunk last season. The Jets offense is even worse this year." Don't bother responding to this because if you fail to see something as obvious as the improvement on offense despite Geno's struggles then you are just making everybody else dumber each time you post

The Eagles have been an underachieving team for years.   They have talent on offense, maybe some of the best in the NFL.   Reid and Marty did absolutely nothing with that talent the last few seasons with Foles or Vick, hell even with Mcnabb.     So giving Marty credit for something the coaching staff has done this year is ridiculous.   The Eagles were horrible for awhile this season and suddenly they've become the fantasy football offense.      Maybe it has something to do with Chip Kelly and his staff and not Marty.

Coaches need to put their players in the best position and the players need to perform.   The Jets offense stunk last season.  The Jets offense is even worse this year.   I'm not saying Marty has been terrible, but it's absurd to start giving credit to a guy who hasn't really had a damn thing to do with Foles success this year.   So far we've seen how great Geno has been under Marty.

I'm not giving Marty credit for how Foles is playing. I'm giving Foles credit, that's what is implied by saying reps, experience... and I'm giving credit to the guys around him for staying healthy.

There's literally not ONE word in my post that you responded to that mentions, or implies, anything about Marty.

So.... good response. 

I'm not giving Marty credit for how Foles is playing. 

Geno Smith comes from an Air Raid offense. Nick Foles comes from an Air Raid offense. in the history of QB prospects from an air raid offense, these are the two most prominent prospects to ever come out of that system. Marty has worked with both as rookies. (other famous Air Raiders include Case Keenum, Brandon Weeden and soon, Johnny Manziel) 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/4/3/4174382/nfl-draft-2013-geno-smith-air-raid-offense

Geno Smith comes from an Air Raid offense. Nick Foles comes from an Air Raid offense. in the history of QB prospects from an air raid offense, these are the two most prominent prospects to ever come out of that system. Marty has worked with both as rookies. (other famous Air Raiders include Case Keenum, Brandon Weeden and soon, Johnny Manziel) 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/4/3/4174382/nfl-draft-2013-geno-smith-air-raid-offense

Steve Young and the BYU offense was very much the same

Interesting fact to point out, not something I would have known on my own... but it still doesn't have anything to do with me crediting Marty for Foles this year like that dingleberry was saying I did. LOL

Archived