Who is your Darrell Bevell?

SenorGato

I'm going to go with David Shaw aka the g'luck landing him guy.

Offensive coordinator under Harbaugh at Stanford from '07-'10, and their current head coach. They're 34-6 under him. Started his career as an OLB coach in Western Washington, and made his NFL coaching debut as a quality-control coach in Philly. He's been all over the field as a coach, that has to be a plus. Coached WRs and was the passing coordinator for D I-AA offensive powerhouse USD before going to Stanford. He was a Ravens QB coach in the early 2000's too, though I guess that couldn't have gone well (relatively well THO? in 2002 their QBs only threw 14 INTs after a 20 INT season in 2001, but that's as much as I could click before getting winded). He played WR at USD and was coached by THE Bill Walsh.

Throw in that he's a black Stanford HC and it's so not Jets that it has to work.

Shaw is a lateral move: he employs the same type of offense that Pep Hamilton ran when he was there and is now running in Indianapolis. The same offense that is said to be too vanilla and stiffing Luck: a lot of people want him gone. Shaw is very power-run-game and defense style of football: Stanford the majority of this decade has been built on a good defense and run game. 

Unless we bring in someone like the Eagles did with Chip Kelly, I'm not seeing any of the big names do anything different than what we currently do. The only name that you'd think would radically change things would be Sumlin and I'm not really sold on him either. I really just don't know to be honest, I don't think I have a favorite at the moment.

Shaw is a lateral move: he employs the same type of offense that Pep Hamilton ran when he was there and is now running in Indianapolis. The same offense that is said to be too vanilla and stiffing Luck: a lot of people want him gone. Shaw is very power-run-game and defense style of football: Stanford the majority of this decade has been built on a good defense and run game. 

Unless we bring in someone like the Eagles did with Chip Kelly, I'm not seeing any of the big names do anything different than what we currently do. The only name that you'd think would radically change things would be Sumlin and I'm not really sold on him either. I really just don't know to be honest, I don't think I have a favorite at the moment.

Urban Meyer.

Ehh, he's got too sweet a gig at his dream job, especially playing for the BCS next year. Not sure he wants to move his family again and add the stress of a NY job to his poor ticker.

Ok, all valid points BUT if he were to think about taking the Jets job, do you think he's a good fit?

Ok, all valid points BUT if he were to think about taking the Jets job, do you think he's a good fit?

He's never coached in any capacity at the NFL level, but he seems to be a good manager of his assistant coaches and that might be something we're looking for over someone who's a brilliant offensive or defensive mind. He's had a lot of success, but I just don't see him leaving his current situation with Braxton Miller still there for anything other than Notre Dame (pretty sure he's a super religious guy and ND is always the "mecca" for those guys). 

Nope, he Coaches Offense. 

He's never coached in any capacity at the NFL level, but he seems to be a good manager of his assistant coaches and that might be something we're looking for over someone who's a brilliant offensive or defensive mind. He's had a lot of success, but I just don't see him leaving his current situation with Braxton Miller still there for anything other than Notre Dame (pretty sure he's a super religious guy and ND is always the "mecca" for those guys). 

When I look at Urban, I see a guy with intensity who seems to have attention to detail, and runs a very tough organized program. You are probably right that New York City is not the right place for him, but If he ever takes a shot at the Pro's, I think he has a shot to be successful. Thanks.

The offense is a non competitive joke and the defense stops the run and is the worst in the NFL vs the pass. Rex is doing a great job huh?

OH SO NOW REX IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LACK OF TALENT ON OFFENSE?!? He's doing everything he can right now. He's arguably coach of the year, his hand crafted run defense is other worldly. If it wasn't for Rex we wouldn't have Holmes, the one legit star on this offense. When we get a new GM or even better Woody just gives Rex full roster control I'll bump this post next January when we're rolling in the playoffs.

OH SO NOW REX IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LACK OF TALENT ON OFFENSE?!? He's doing everything he can right now. He's arguably coach of the year, his hand crafted run defense is other worldly. If it wasn't for Rex we wouldn't have Holmes, the one legit star on this offense. When we get a new GM or even better Woody just gives Rex full roster control I'll bump this post next January when we're rolling in the playoffs.

I can never tell if you're being serious. I suppose if that's your game you're doing it well.

The Jets have a bottom 5 pass D in the NFL you realize that negates anything they have done in run D right? You don't get less points for passing touchdowns. And it's 5 years, 5 mediocre to horrendous offensive years with different OC's, different WR's and different QB's. How long will you keep making excuses for?

The Jets have a bottom 5 pass D in the NFL you realize that negates anything they have done in run D right? You don't get less points for passing touchdowns. And it's 5 years, 5 mediocre to horrendous offensive years with different OC's, different WR's and different QB's. How long will you keep making excuses for?

The Jews followed Moses through the desert for 40 years and I'm way more patient than them

Good for you.

You would have fired Bill Cowher if he where the Jets coach. Luckly for the Jets, Woody(a success) like me understands you don't let an asset like Rex walk away. You find the pieces to compliment him. When I'm eating expensive grass fed beef, which I do often, I don't ruin it with ketchup. I compliment it with a glass of fine wine. Rex haters are ketchup men.

When you stop and think about it, Shaw and Rex Rex are basically the same guy

He has an excellent pedigree, but I just don't see anything philosophically different that he'd bring to the table right now. All those guys at Stanford this last decade in Harbaugh, Hamilton and Shaw believe in a strong defense and a power running game, something we've been trying to do for years.  However, I'm certainly open to the idea of a coach with the same mentality, but one that won't do it at the expense of his QB.  

Gun to my head, if I had to pick, my number one choice right now is probably Kevin Sumlin. Linebacker all through college and rose the ranks as a WR/QB coach for a handful of years, promoted to OC and then did a very good job at Houston and has continued to do so at college station. Nothing really is going to change until we get some players on that side of the ball though: he could be the second coming of Bill Walsh and still have a losing record with the slop we have for our skill-position players.

Honestly our coaching staff is fine the way it is. I don't really believe in this magical bullsh*t about how if we hire a new head coach this teams going to turn around. The only way hiring a new head coach is going to turn this team around is if that guys lucky as sh*t and manages to hit on a qb. Honestly, though it's impressive that Rex has gotten as many wins out of this team as he had. This is a team that people were saying would get the 1st pick of the drat last year. It was a hell of a coaching job Rex has done. Also, what's wrong with Morhinweg running the offense and Rex running the defense? Your getting the best of both worlds. And don't even get me started on Beaver, Mornhinweg is a better coach then him.

shaw would be nice

idk why everyone wants bevell when he runs a ground and pound offense

there is nothing wrong with a ground and pound offense in todays NFL if you have the horses to do it.

Keeping the ball out of the hands of high powered offenses and playing good defense is NOT a bad plan. When you play solid ball control offense not only do you keep the ball out of the hands of said high powered offenses but you keep them from getting in rhythm as well.

What this team needs to accomplish this is a solid mistake free QB kind of in the mold of Alex Smith a Big posession type WR like a Brandon Marshall/ Jeffery / and a few big mean blocking TE's one of which can also catch. In 09 and 10 all this team lacked was a real pass catching TE a big posession type WR and a few backs who could actully catch the ball out of the backfield. 

Whats been the Joke of this organization since Rex took over was getting rid of some valuable role players and a WR who did well with your Young QB and replacing them with thugs and loudmouths and not replacing the role players at all unless Mulligan was supposed to be that guy LOL. What made our running game so stout was not only the OL everyone on that offense colud block effectively 

What future HC can make this happen ? I have no idea I just know the current one has no clue.

Last year my Bevell was well Bevell IF Rex got fired, again I don't want Rex fired, but this is not my decision so if he does get fired I probably would be ok with Bevell still (but not as much as I liked him last year), Bill O'Brien would be my #1 choice, but that's not happening, Summelin intrigues me, but I would be nervous he turns into the NFL version of Steve Spurrier, and if you like Summlin I would also think you would have to see if Art Briles could be an NFL HC, and the last guy I would look at is the Raiders OC Greg Olsen, he was Matt Ryan's QB coach, and has gotten a lot out of T Pryor, and M McGloin this year.

TBH whether you want Rex fired, or not there is not much out there that is a guaranteed upgrade over Rex Ryan right now, sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until you lose it.

there is nothing wrong with a ground and pound offense in todays NFL if you have the horses to do it.

Chris Ivory is a poor man's Marshawn and I imagine beefing up the offensive line and finding a new QB (or developing Geno into a real one) are huge priorities for us.  So I agree with you; I see nothing wrong with the ground and pound.  Rex's problem has been that he has little say to a young QB other than "don't turn the ball over".  If Idzik is trying to duplicate the success Seattle has on offense, we need personnel (Game manager QB) and a system in place that really WON'T turn the ball over, not just SAY we need to stop the turnovers.

Chris Ivory is a poor man's Marshawn and I imagine beefing up the offensive line and finding a new QB (or developing Geno into a real one) are huge priorities for us.  So I agree with you; I see nothing wrong with the ground and pound.  Rex's problem has been that he has little say to a young QB other than "don't turn the ball over".  If Idzik is trying to duplicate the success Seattle has on offense, we need personnel (Game manager QB) and a system in place that really WON'T turn the ball over, not just SAY we need to stop the turnovers.

Good post. I completely agree.

Contrary to what most people think, Rex's philosophy of a strong running game, coupled with a strong defense, is tried and true. It allows you to be able to win without a great QB. The QB just needs to protect the ball, and be an efficient passer.

Rex's problem has been in the execution of this strategy.  Our QBs have turned the ball over like crazy, and are ineffective, which stifles the running game.  This causes the defense to be on the field way too long, which eventually wears them out.

It's all about the development of a sound QB, which above all else is what is going to get Rex fired.  He's failed miserably at developing one.

nice post 80 :)

Rex did visit the convict in prison and then signed him and cut Cotch, he also went out and signed that retired vet from the ravens and traded him when

he was critical of foolish schott, so yes, Rex is responsible for this mess, Tanny gave him full control for a while and he really screwed up, glad you love him

but he is unprofessional.

Mike McCoy.   

The Jets missed out on him last season but this guy is everything you want for the Jets HC.   He has an Offense background and he showed that he could be successful with Orton, Tebow, and Manning.    Three very different styles and he found a way to make it work.   

Of the remaining options I'd say the best fit is Bill O'Brien.    He has a background in the AFC East and if he can withstand the media scrutiny at Penn State he has as good of a chance as any to survive NY.  

Jay Gruden - love what he's done with an average QB in Cinci.  Like the weaponz they've found up there, if he had anything to do with it I'd like that type of eye for talent here.  Like his pedigree.  I've heard stories about him and John staying up all night breaking down every QB in the league.  Guy is a Football junkie, comes from an offensive background, I like how he changes the philosphy per game as oppossed to a Bevell who's going to do the same thing game in and game out.  Respected around the league so I think he'd be able to bring in a solid staff.

Other than that, I've got nothing.  Bevell is the popular name because of the connection but he really hasnt done anything to warrant the hype.

Jay Gruden - love what he's done with an average QB in Cinci.  Like the weaponz they've found up there, if he had anything to do with it I'd like that type of eye for talent here.  Like his pedigree.  I've heard stories about him and John staying up all night breaking down every QB in the league.  Guy is a Football junkie, comes from an offensive background, I like how he changes the philosphy per game as oppossed to a Bevell who's going to do the same thing game in and game out.  Respected around the league so I think he'd be able to bring in a solid staff.

Other than that, I've got nothing.  Bevell is the popular name because of the connection but he really hasnt done anything to warrant the hype.

I wouldn't mind Gruden. He comes from a football family, has put together a solid offense, and does have some head coaching experience in minor pro leagues (UFL and Arena) where he was successful. 

Archived