Rex On His Future

JetNation

Who is this magical oracle who says how many games he is supposed to win? I keep hearing about this but I cannot find any information on it?

Thanks for your help

Maybe cause you didn't pay attention in the off-season and now just jumped on the FIRE REXS bandwagon.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't supposed to win 4 games, has a chance at 8. When he beats the fins and keeps his job, all u haters will jump on the "He won to many games and cost

us a better draft pick, Rex must go".

Where you been? We are already doing this. He killed us with those monstrous wins over Oakland and Cleveland. Oh wait, you wanted to draft a D-lineman anyway, right?

57 % is not exactly a ringing endorsement to keep Rex it only shows the fans here are split . If the Fans really wanted Rex or if you wanted to use this poll as an example of how JN feels you would expect and 80/20 split

I've seen 2 other polls each with 10 times or more votes. Each of those is around 75 to 25% in favor if keeping rex. Our poll isn't indicative of most jet fans.

Stop making crap up trying to look smart, its not working.

We are "making up" the fact that those losses have absolutely killed our draft position, and that Meaningless wins, by a lame-duck coach are going to make getting the QB we so desperately need from this draft, very difficult. We have been talking about our draft postion since Rex came out of the BYE, by getting demolished by EJ Manuel.

Ok, enough of making stuff up, and just sticking to facts.Sorry.

It's Sid Rosenberg. He's the drug-addled version of Craig Carton.

At a loss how he keeps getting any work. He's neither insightful nor funny.In fact he sounds pretty dumb. Unless there's some entertainment value in a degenerate gambler junkie babbling.

Maybe cause you didn't pay attention in the off-season and now just jumped on the FIRE REXS bandwagon.

I paid plenty of attention, plenty.

The top front 7 in the NFL and a solid running game is worth more than 4 wins.

It's really silly to blindly say this is a 4 win team that Rex through some miraculous coaching job has coached up to 7, ecspecially when two wins were complete gifts.

I paid plenty of attention, plenty.

The top front 7 in the NFL and a solid running game is worth more than 4 wins.

It's really silly to blindly say this is a 4 win team that Rex through some miraculous coaching job has coached up to 7, ecspecially when two wins were complete gifts.

Rex has half a team and he's gonna win half the games. Vegas had them at 6 wins total on the season, he's already exceeded expectations. 

I can't believe the Jets didn't go 12-4 with this roster. They should fire Rex cause he squandered such a great chance at greatness with this awesome roster.

This argument is rediculous.

I have not heard one fire Rex fan say anything about the record this year being the reason.

Te fact that Rex has largely ignored the offense, and when not ignoring it, making horrible decisions has lead to nothing resembling a competent NFL offense five years into his regime is the primary reason.

There are plenty of others as well.

And before you say it, HC is responsible for the offense just as much as the defense, they at least have to hire competent people and be a leader of the whole team.

Rex has half a team and he's gonna win half the games. Vegas had them at 6 wins total on the season, he's already exceeded expectations.

Big deal, they got gift wins in two games and had a soft schedule.Rex is as responsible for only having half a team as anyone.

Vegas sets win totals to get betters on both sides, it means absolutely nothing.

What changed your mind Gato? Last week you were all up in arms about defending Rex. Not that I mind having another fan on the RIGHT bandwagon.

If you want a HC who is a top GM and scout, this isn't your guy, plain and simple. Since that is the role the Jets look for their HC to take on according to some board experts, there is no hope for Ryan. 

I've seen 2 other polls each with 10 times or more votes. Each of those is around 75 to 25% in favor if keeping rex. Our poll isn't indicative of most jet fans.

thanks for pointing that out PAC I really did not look for any other polls. I really think Jet fans think no one else can coach a defense and that's simply not true. I would much rather see this team, with the current personnel, run a predominant 4-3 defense.

Rex's biggest flaws are personnel and discipline and I'm not sure you can succeed with those being your biggest weaknesses. I can put up with the dumb statements and the pressers if the guy fielded a team that looked consistent and well coached but we don't.

If you want a HC who is a top GM and scout, this isn't your guy, plain and simple. Since that is the role the Jets look for their HC to take on according to some board experts, there is no hope for Ryan. 

that might be a little different with Idzik ..but with Tanny not having much personnel exp and working as a capologist before we made him GM I think the coaches had a big say including Rex. That being said who did a better job working with this roster ?? Mangini or Rex ? I think Mangini put a nice roster together with excellent role players in place that did the little things most people don't notice. Rex IMO gutted that team and did a bad overall job replacing lost players. A big mistake was the handling of the OL in year 3 which was nothing short of criminal at LG RT and depth. If you guys remember Turner,Hartsock and T-rich were beasts in the running game they were just downright mean nasty blockers that were never really replaced. The Jets figured Mulligan would fit the bill and he stunk so bad it was as if the guy didn't even have a damn playbook

On Planet Gato, all head coaches really do is coordinate the defense.

On Planet Gato, all head coaches really do is coordinate the defense.

Nope, that just happens to be where Ryan is better than every other coach in football. 

that might be a little different with Idzik ..but with Tanny not having much personnel exp and working as a capologist before we made him GM I think the coaches had a big say including Rex. That being said who did a better job working with this roster ?? Mangini or Rex ? I think Mangini put a nice roster together with excellent role players in place that did the little things most people don't notice. Rex IMO gutted that team and did a bad overall job replacing lost players. A big mistake was the handling of the OL in year 3 which was nothing short of criminal at LG RT and depth. If you guys remember Turner,Hartsock and T-rich were beasts in the running game they were just downright mean nasty blockers that were never really replaced. The Jets figured Mulligan would fit the bill and he stunk so bad it was as if the guy didn't even have a damn playbook

Yeah, Mangini's big job wasn't filling the roster with role players, if you were to credit a coach with this stuff. Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, D'Brick, Woody, Mangold, Faneca, Jones, Revis...These guys were not role players, they were the horses for good teams. Perhaps the closest was Washington, but every team in football looks to create a tandem like that or better at RB. If anything the criticism of that Jets roster is they lacked the depth behind their stars to sustain the run, and that's what happened (heavily aided by missing on Gholston and Sanchez). 

Nope

Yeah, Mangini's big job wasn't filling the roster with role players, if you were to credit a coach with this stuff. Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, D'Brick, Mangold, Faneca, Jones, Revis...These guys were not role players. Perhaps the closest was Washington, but every team in football looks to create a tandem like that or better at RB. 

I hear ya man I was trying to point at the lack of Rex/Tanny replacing those role players then still trying to run G&P in year 3 and it just didn't have the same punch then fell completely off the table in year 4 with Rex still bragging on G&P .Besides Hartsock the Jets had another TE Blocker can't remember his name.

I hear ya man I was trying to point at the lack of Rex/Tanny replacing those role players then still trying to run G&P in year 3 and it just didn't have the same punch then fell completely off the table in year 4 with Rex still bragging on G&P .Besides Hartsock the Jets had another TE Blocker can't remember his name.

Yeah, the fetishization of Ryan saying ground and pound on this board is just dumb. In year 3 they clearly made an effort to become a passing offense - Sanchez couldn't handle it and the WRs were meany poo to him. After Woody and Tanny passed on Manning in 2012, they decided to give one more shot with WRs who weren't so mean and Sanchez turned in his worst season yet. This has everything to do with Sanchez sucking and nothing to do with some kind of organizational obsession of just being a running team. 

The offense didn't fail because they didn't get a back up/blocking TE to run the ball. 

Yeah, the fetishization of Ryan saying ground and pound on this board is just dumb. In year 3 they clearly made an effort to become a passing offense - Sanchez couldn't handle it and the WRs were meany poo to him. After Woody and Tanny passed on Manning in 2012, they decided to give one more shot with WRs who weren't so mean and Sanchez turned in his worst season yet. This has everything to do with Sanchez sucking and nothing to do with some kind of organizational obsession of just being a running team. 

The offense didn't fail because they didn't get a back up/blocking TE to run the ball. 

So you think the Jets wanted to become a passing offense with has beens old men and malcontents ? Personally I think they still very much wanted to Ground and Pound and just get to the point of being a bit more competent in the passing game around the goal line which to some extent they achieved. But turning into a passing team ? No way, sorry Im not buying that for a second. Moving the chains when needed playing possession football, that was their plan.

In year 4 after Sanchez accounted for 32 TD's 26 of them passing this team dumped its backs, Lost Keller and Holmes to injury, Did not re sign Burress did not sign LT and went into the season without a back who could catch a football..... had no answer at the TE position after Keller got hurt Stephen Hill the Rookie was hurt on and off all year and Clyde Gates, Shilens were Jokes and Kerley in the slot was our only competent receiving option yet people say Sanchez had more than Geno did last year ?? I find that to be hilarious. Last year was when the Jets offense hit Bottom and put the final dagger into a young QB who was handled like horsesh*t from the minute he came into the Jets facility. 

So you think the Jets wanted to become a passing offense with has beens old men and malcontents ? Personally I think they still very much wanted to Ground and Pound and just get to the point of being a bit more competent in the passing game around the goal line which to some extent they achieved. But turning into a passing team ? No way, sorry Im not buying that for a second. Moving the chains when needed playing possession football, that was their plan.

In year 4 after Sanchez accounted for 32 TD's 26 of them passing this team dumped its backs, Lost Keller and Holmes to injury, Did not re sign Burress did not sign LT and went into the season without a back who could catch a football..... had no answer at the TE position after Keller got hurt Stephen Hill the Rookie was hurt on and off all year and Clyde Gates, Shilens were Jokes and Kerley in the slot was our only competent receiving option yet people say Sanchez had more than Geno did last year ?? I find that to be hilarious. Last year was when the Jets offense hit Bottom and put the final dagger into a young QB who was handled like horsesh*t from the minute he came into the Jets facility. 

The weapons we surrounded Sanchez with were not great but they weren't terrible either, and they were all moves geared toward a pass-first offense.  We already had a 1st-round TE on the roster in Keller.  We traded for Braylon Edwards in 2009.  We brought in a pass-catching RB in LT to complement Greene and traded a 5th for Holmes in '10.  And even Tannenbaum admitted later he regretted letting go of Cotchery. We lucked into Kerley in the 2011 draft.  Burress, as bad as he was, caught 8 TD's in 2011.

Yes, Edwards was on the old side when we got him.  Yes, Holmes turned into an injury-prone malcontent.  Yes, LT was on his last legs (though you have to admit he was productive).  Yes, we should have kept Cotchery.  Yes, Burress was a horrible decision.  In hindsight, of course we should have attempted to use high round draft picks to bring in fresh talent (though if Stephen Hill weren't a bust maybe we're not having this discussion). 

But acting like we didn't TRY to improve the offense is a farce.  Sanchez was terrible and Rex wasn't knowledgeable enough on offense to have any positive impact on that side of the ball.  That's the bottom line there.  Propping up Sanchez with the "no weapons" argument is pointless.  He was what he was, whether we did him any favors or not.  His first 2 years here his weapons were adequate and he still sucked.  He never once made the players around him better.  That's the expectation when you draft a QB in the first 5 picks.

ESPN predicted the Jets would be the worst team in football going into 2013. The 7 writers below all had us pegged for last place. I guess that's still possible but I highly doubt they had us at 7 wins.

xf9qfq.jpg

If we dont give rex an extension how will we ever teach guys like josh katzowitz a lesson

The weapons we surrounded Sanchez with were not great but they weren't terrible either, and they were all moves geared toward a pass-first offense.  We already had a 1st-round TE on the roster in Keller.  We traded for Braylon Edwards in 2009.  We brought in a pass-catching RB in LT to complement Greene and traded a 5th for Holmes in '10.  And even Tannenbaum admitted later he regretted letting go of Cotchery. We lucked into Kerley in the 2011 draft.  Burress, as bad as he was, caught 8 TD's in 2011.

Yes, Edwards was on the old side when we got him.  Yes, Holmes turned into an injury-prone malcontent.  Yes, LT was on his last legs (though you have to admit he was productive).  Yes, we should have kept Cotchery.  Yes, Burress was a horrible decision.  In hindsight, of course we should have attempted to use high round draft picks to bring in fresh talent (though if Stephen Hill weren't a bust maybe we're not having this discussion). 

But acting like we didn't TRY to improve the offense is a farce.  Sanchez was terrible and Rex wasn't knowledgeable enough on offense to have any positive impact on that side of the ball.  That's the bottom line there.  Propping up Sanchez with the "no weapons" argument is pointless.  He was what he was, whether we did him any favors or not.  His first 2 years here his weapons were adequate and he still sucked.  He never once made the players around him better.  That's the expectation when you draft a QB in the first 5 picks.

I never said we didn't try 80 what Im saying is and you seem to agree is we did a really poor job. Most young QB's do well when surrounded by young talented WR's they can grow with and count on. Dalton is a perfect wexample of this as was Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford its very rare you see a young QB come into this league and perform with bad talent or bandaids as the Jets tried. Bandaids with an established QB in an established system YES that works and you can see that from watching guys like Brady and Rodgers. Wholesale changes every year NEVER gets it done.

Anyone wondering how now McCown is miraculously playing at a very high level after Cutler got hurt and Why he played so poorly before ? Because before the Bears were a Joke at the WR position and now the guy is throwing to Marshall and Jeffery and also has one of the best pass catching backs in the NFL to boot. I think its fairly obvious that when you let a QB grow with young talented Receivers in a consistent system they have a Much Much better chance of succeeding. That's all Im trying to say here when it comes to all the Jets QB's we have had to watch fail. Does that mean they would do well in the same circumstance as lets say an Andy Dalton ?? NO but it would certainly be a much better situation.

Ever wondere why its always the same old teams who can never find a good QB? Just take a look at the offensive talent and how they handle young QB's from the very beginning and you will have your answer pretty quickly. One team who seems to have the talent but no QB is the Browns but look at them looking to Dump Josh Gordon REALLY? Then what ? Draft another QB after you trade Gordon ? These teams are priceless

Ever wondere why its always the same old teams who can never find a good QB? Just take a look at the offensive talent and how they handle young QB's from the very beginning and you will have your answer pretty quickly. One team who seems to have the talent but no QB is the Browns but look at them looking to Dump Josh Gordon REALLY? Then what ? Draft another QB after you trade Gordon ? These teams are priceless

True, but to their credit, they held firm with their pricetag to acquire Gordon.  He's one strike away from a 1-year suspension so it wouldn't have been a terrible move.  And they're looking brilliant for trading away Richardson now.

And as good as Gordon's been, the only QB who really looked like he might be a player was Hoyer.  Campbell and Weeden still are terrible.

Archived