If you're John Idzik, what does your initial Big Board look like?

Jetsfan80

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think Joewillie78 made an honest mistake not thinking through his entire thought before posting and instead of just admitting he, himself doesn't understand what he said, he went bobbing and weaving down the rabbit hole.

You couldnt be more RIGHT. Ireally screwed up on that one. Nice catch.

How nice would it be right noe if we didn't waste an early 2nd rounder on Geno, and could have a Lev Bell, Lacy, K. Alonso, or K. Allen. Then actually drafting a qb who can actually be a quality starter this year.

Exactly.  Which is why Idzik is clueless and I have zero faith in him.  Lets hope he gets lucky as he did with the Richardson pick.  Unfortunately, he has not hired a personnel guy to help him evaluate players coming out of school.  Why Johnson picked another penci pusher/capologist to be a GM again is mindless.

Exactly.  Which is why Idzik is clueless and I have zero faith in him.  Lets hope he gets lucky as he did with the Richardson pick.  Unfortunately, he has not hired a personnel guy to help him evaluate players coming out of school.  Why Johnson picked another penci pusher/capologist to be a GM again is mindless.

So wait...

John Idzik not drafting Le'Veon Bell = he is clueless.

John Idzik drafting Sheldon Richardson = he is lucky.

Is that really your story?

So wait...

John Idzik not drafting Le'Veon Bell = he is clueless.

John Idzik drafting Sheldon Richardson = he is lucky.

Is that really your story?

My story? No not my story just my assessment. Idzik drafting Smith is proof of that. No GM wanted ANYTHING to do with Smith who was once slated to be the NO.1 pick of the entire draft.

Talk about a fall from grace. Yet Idzik goes against all the signs screaming to stay away from this bum and basically wastes a #2 pick and is now 'stuck' with trying to prove he made the right decision by drafting him.  Smith  is the second coming of Sanchez (only worse).  Lacy or Alonso could have been taken with that #2 pick and we could have drafted a qb this draft. As it stands now, he will have to sign a veteran AND draft another qb because it is crystal clear, Smith SUX.    

A Revisionist Draft Historian is the only job I know where you're always right. You get to pick and choose only the players that have performed above and beyond their draft position and choose to blast whichever GM you want for not taking that person..... Brilliant. I guess you can blame the other 15 or so GM's that let them slip by as well?

The learning curve for a QB and RB are markedly different. Can we at least give Geno a full 2 seasons to see how he's looking? Geez!

Waiting until this year to pick a QB only puts us another year behind schedule. You want a QB this year? Fine..... but Idzik needed a QB to develop, thought he got a good one in Geno and made the pick.... can't kill the guy for that. Again, let's see how he looks after the 2014 season before saying he's a bust.

My story? No not my story just my assessment. Idzik drafting Smith is proof of that. No GM wanted ANYTHING to do with Smith who was once slated to be the NO.1 pick of the entire draft.

Talk about a fall from grace. Yet Idzik goes against all the signs screaming to stay away from this bum and basically wastes a #2 pick and is now 'stuck' with trying to prove he made the right decision by drafting him.  Smith  is the second coming of Sanchez (only worse).  Lacy or Alonso could have been taken with that #2 pick and we could have drafted a qb this draft. As it stands now, he will have to sign a veteran AND draft another qb because it is crystal clear, Smith SUX.    

I appreciate your setniment but Idzik did not move up or blow a first round pick for Smith.  The best QB in a weak QB draft fell to him.  Idzik has noth  ing to prove with Smtih and is not tied to him in my opinion. 

You're out of your element Donnie

A Revisionist Draft Historian is the only job I know where you're always right. You get to pick and choose only the players that have performed above and beyond their draft position and choose to blast whichever GM you want for not taking that person..... Brilliant. I guess you can blame the other 15 or so GM's that let them slip by as well?

The learning curve for a QB and RB are markedly different. Can we at least give Geno a full 2 seasons to see how he's looking? Geez!

Waiting until this year to pick a QB only puts us another year behind schedule. You want a QB this year? Fine..... but Idzik needed a QB to develop, thought he got a good one in Geno and made the pick.... can't kill the guy for that. Again, let's see how he looks after the 2014 season before saying he's a bust.

Not always.  In hindsight Vernon Davis is a bust.  Workout Warrior. Combine Princess.  I remember reading the Jets were in talks with the 49ers, I suggested Vilma for Davis and was shouted down because "Davis is a bum".  This is around the time coaching legend Mike Singletary sent him to the showers.  What did we end up with?  A third?  

He was slated as the number one pick by who?? The draftniks that you read and take for gospel?  Players get selected in the draft where they are rated by real scouts and general managers, that's what counts. When you hear that people reached for this or that, that's based on people who aren't in football for a reason. If you can't see the 4 game stretch that Geno closed out the season as an improvement, then you're letting your feelings for him cloud your judgement. He accounted for 7 tds and only 2 turnovers for the last quarter of the season, that's an improvement. 

He was slated as the number one pick by who?? The draftniks that you read and take for gospel?  Players get selected in the draft where they are rated by real scouts and general managers, that's what counts. When you hear that people reached for this or that, that's based on people who aren't in football for a reason. If you can't see the 4 game stretch that Geno closed out the season as an improvement, then you're letting your feelings for him cloud your judgement. He accounted for 7 tds and only 2 turnovers for the last quarter of the season, that's an improvement. 

Couldn't agree more.

So a GM with a clue would've drafted a RB in the second round after trading a fourth rounder for a RB, and signing another as a free agent? Or, the clued in GM would've taken three defensive players at the top of the draft, the third being a MLB? That would've gone over great, too.

Smith is a guy who should've spent the year on the bench. He did not come out as an NFL ready QB. I hope the Jets bring in a couple QBs this year, but I'm also looking forward to seeing what Geno does in his second season - hopefully with a couple weaponz at his disposal.

So a GM with a clue would've drafted a RB in the second round after trading a fourth rounder for a RB, and signing another as a free agent? Or, the clued in GM would've taken three defensive players at the top of the draft, the third being a MLB? That would've gone over great, too.

Smith is a guy who should've spent the year on the bench. He did not come out as an NFL ready QB. I hope the Jets bring in a couple QBs this year, but I'm also looking forward to seeing what Geno does in his second season - hopefully with a couple weaponz at his disposal.

But wait, I thought any time a player is drafted after the first round, and thus every team has already passed on them, they are automatically an awful pick and the GM is an idiot?  But hey, apparently the Jets should have drafted a MLB despite already having two starters at the position, because the guy caught a lot of attention in the first quarter of the season for a bunch of picks before fading into obscurity.

And in addition to the point you already made about the RB position, even if they draft Lacy and opted to start him ahead of Ivory, Powell, and Goodson, and even give him most of the carries as the lead back (would never happen), the assumption that he would have had the same production with the Jets as he did with Green Bay is extremely flawed logic.  A quick look at Lacy how had multiple absolutely awful games, his worst of the season, when Rodgers went down should tell us something.

Archived