Jags Open to Trading 3rd Overall Pick

jgb

The Jets have too many holes to fill, and no depth whatsoever.  They can't afford to trade away multiple picks.

THIS.  The Jets are buried in a deep, deep hole personnel-wise and cannot afford to waste picks to make a big move for QB's that are questionable.  If a Luck type guy was coming out, it would be a different story.  

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RG3 played well because of a pass thrown off the read option. That play was scrutinized to death over last off season and teams learned how to defense it and it was not effective this year. RG3 is not even the best QB on his own roster.

Cousins was absolutely dreadful this year, he's not a good quarterback.

The Jets would need to move up to #1 or #2 to realistically get the QB they want.  

The cost for that trade would be more than the redskins gave up for RG3.   Looking at the cost I say no f'ing way could the Jets move all the way up.  For the Jets it would look something like: 

2014:

RD 1, #18

RD 2, #49

RD 3, #80

2015:

RD 1

2016:

RD1

don't believe the hype!! i vaguely remember the dolphins moving up 9 spots to the #3 spot last year for a #2 pick. the jets also moved up 7 spots to the #5 pick for a 2nd rounder and a bag of footballs. that draft chart doesn't mean anything. the year luck & rg3 came out, they were considered cant miss prospects, therefore driving the price up. everything I am hearing, is there is no cant miss qb prospects this year, imo, bringing the price down. just to make it clear, I am neither for nor against a trade up in this draft. I am just saying if the jets want to trade up into the top 5, I don't think it will cost the jets 3 #1's, a #2, and a #3. you pay for the player not the # pick

on the flip side, they can fill all the holes they have, and still not be worth snot without a qb.

I want to see what Geno can do when he has talent around him.  I was encouraged by the improvement he showed late in the season.

The guy came from a system in college that was the furthest thing from a pro-style offense, and was asked to learn the WCO while also adjusting to speed of the pro game.  Anyone who thought that transition would be seamless was only fooling themselves.

Also consider this: if the Jets have a poor season next year, Rex could still be fired.  His extension really doesn't guarantee any stability for him.  You don't make a costly move up in the draft for a QB, only to fire his coach after one year.  It makes more sense to bring in talent around Geno, and see how he does with a year under his belt and a full off-season.  If he and the team falters, they can bring in a first round QB with a new coach, and better talent for both to work with.

don't believe the hype!! i vaguely remember the dolphins moving up 9 spots to the #3 spot last year for a #2 pick. the jets also moved up 7 spots to the #5 pick for a 2nd rounder and a bag of footballs. that draft chart doesn't mean anything. the year luck & rg3 came out, they were considered cant miss prospects, therefore driving the price up. everything I am hearing, is there is no cant miss qb prospects this year, imo, bringing the price down. just to make it clear, I am neither for nor against a trade up in this draft. I am just saying if the jets want to trade up into the top 5, I don't think it will cost the jets 3 #1's, a #2, and a #3. you pay for the player not the # pick

BINGO, 100% great post.

I want to see what Geno can do when he has talent around him.  I was encouraged by the improvement he showed late in the season.

The guy came from a system in college that was the furthest thing from a pro-style offense, and was asked to learn the WCO while also adjusting to speed of the pro game.  Anyone who thought that transition would be seamless was only fooling themselves.

Also consider this: if the Jets have a poor season next year, Rex could still be fired.  His extension really doesn't guarantee any stability for him.  You don't make a costly move up in the draft for a QB, only to fire his coach after one year.  It makes more sense to bring in talent around Geno, and see how he does with a year under his belt and a full off-season.  If he and the team falters, they can bring in a first round QB with a new coach, and better talent for both to work with.

not saying your opinion is invalid but i'm really sick of hearing the "we can't judge the qb until he has talent around him" thing. not trying to shoot the messanger but after 5 years i've lost my patience.

So, do I.  But I do not want to be married to him as our starter as we were last season and prior seasons with Sanchez.  Getting a vet by hook or by crook, if only for a fall back, is the first QB move they need to make. 

So, do I.  But I do not want to be married to him as our starter as we were last season and prior seasons with Sanchez.  Getting a vet by hook or by crook, if only for a fall back, is the first QB move they need to make. 

Ok - who's the vet qb we pick up?

I agree.

again which vet qb do we bring in?

Michael Vick Eagles 

Chad Henne Jaguars

Josh Freeman Vikings

Shaun Hill Lions

Charlie Whitehurst Chargers

David Garrard Jets

Rex Grossman Redskins

Jon Kitna Cowboys 

Dan Orlovsky Buccaneers

Kellen Clemens Rams 

Josh McCown Bears

Luke McCown Saints

Tarvaris Jackson Seahawks

Derek Anderson Panthers

Seneca Wallace Packers

Jimmy Clausen Panthers

Brady Quinn Rams

Jordan Palmer Bears

Matt Flynn Packers

Colt McCoy 49ers

Curtis Painter Giants

Rusty Smith Titans

Joe Webb Vikings

not saying your opinion is invalid but i'm really sick of hearing the "we can't judge the qb until he has talent around him" thing. not trying to shoot the messanger but after 5 years i've lost my patience.

This will DEFINITELY be the last year, this QB or this coach can fall back on this excuse. They have drilled it into our heads for the past couple of years, but IDZIK will end that nightmare this year.

Ok - who's the vet qb we pick up?

Best available mediocre experienced QB -- which would be an upgrade over what we had  last year.  We are not going the get a world beater, but guys of the caliber of Vick, Flynn, Schaub, etc. would be fine as place-holders.  We're not looking for a franchise guy, just someone more competent than Geno and Sanchez.  If Geno steps up, then great.  For the past several years we have literally had zero back up options.  

again which vet qb do we bring in?

Michael Vick Eagles 

Chad Henne Jaguars

Josh Freeman Vikings

Shaun Hill Lions

Charlie Whitehurst Chargers

David Garrard Jets

Rex Grossman Redskins

Jon Kitna Cowboys 

Dan Orlovsky Buccaneers

Kellen Clemens Rams 

Josh McCown Bears

Luke McCown Saints

Tarvaris Jackson Seahawks

Derek Anderson Panthers

Seneca Wallace Packers

Jimmy Clausen Panthers

Brady Quinn Rams

Jordan Palmer Bears

Matt Flynn Packers

Colt McCoy 49ers

Curtis Painter Giants

Rusty Smith Titans

Joe Webb Vikings

Shaun Hill or Josh McCown.  Maybe even Matt Cassel (who isn't on your list, but is expected to be available). Guys who won't disrupt Geno's progress, but can start if needed.

Best available mediocre experienced QB -- which would be an upgrade over what we had  last year.  We are not going the get a world beater, but guys of the caliber of Vick, Flynn, Schaub, etc. would be fine as place-holders.  We're not looking for a franchise guy, just someone more competent than Geno and Sanchez.  If Geno steps up, then great.  For the past several years we have literally had zero back up options.  

to serve what purpose?  the list I posted is nothing but warm doggie doo -

we may or may not get to the playoffs next year but the Jets are in no way, shape or form a championship contender next season.   So why bring in a sad sack vet?  If Geno ain't the answer, go to the draft and bring in another qb -  groom that one and the next one or next, etc, etc until one of them clicks.

Exactly.  The last few years, we've gone into the season without a competent backup.

to serve what purpose?  the list I posted is nothing but warm doggie doo -

we may or may not get to the playoffs next year but the Jets are in no way, shape or form a championship contender next season.   So why bring in a sad sack vet?  If Geno ain't the answer, go to the draft and bring in another qb -  groom that one and the next one or next, etc, etc until one of them clicks.

Even if they bring in a veteran backup, I'd still like them to consider drafting a QB in the middle rounds.  A guy like Jimmy Garoppolo, with his olive oil voice and guinea charm.

Mettenberger in the 4th...would be nice. But I would consider being done with the Jets if they traded up to three for a QB...or anyone for that matter

why? I don't think they will, I don't think they can....but i have no problem aggressively going all in for a franchise QB. Wish I felt better about Geno but I don't.

Would it be a dumb decision to trade up to 3 for Watkins or Evans?

This year? I think so. There is too much depth at WR to be doing that, the picks they give up could end up landing you Lee, Landry and Seferian-Jenkins instead.

If you were going to do it, it would probably have to be for Watkins though because I don't see Evans going in the top 10. Now if Evans slips out of the top 10 and into the teens, let's say, then maybe you start thinking about that if Evans is your guy.

Also about the QB situation, the last thing I want to see is the Jets mortgaging the house to trade up for Manziel (or even Bridgewater, etc.). I don't want to bring in 1 of those 2 just to have the same complaints about them because once again we have no young WR/TE's besides 1 or 2 we might get in free agency. I say you build up the team around Geno this year, and if he sucks then next year you can think about trading up for someone and putting them into a better situation than Geno had year 1.

Since NO ONE is a guaranteed star, I'm almost never for trading up and almost always for trading down. Trade down and acquire more draft picks, don't trade up.

The more draft picks you have, the higher the chance of landing impact players. 

I still think it comes down to scouting and player development. You can have more draft picks, but if you cannot scout and you cannot develop, you will probably have no talent either way. This is why scouting is so critical, certain players are worth trading up for, and some are not, you have to be able to identify them. Nobody is always right, but you need to be right enough.

Since NO ONE is a guaranteed star, I'm almost never for trading up and almost always for trading down. Trade down and acquire more draft picks, don't trade up.

The more draft picks you have, the higher the chance of landing impact players. 

We traded up for Revis and that worked out.  And at the same time, we once also traded up for Dewayne Robertson.  And then again for Mark Sanchez.  So it's just as hit or miss as staying put or trading down. 

The Parcells/Belichick approach of always trading down isn't necessarily the right call in ALL situations.  Those 2 just realized that their weakness was talent evaluation (of 21-22 year olds, at least), so they gave themselves as many darts as possible to throw at the dartboard and hoped they were correct on enough picks to build a good roster. 

So, just to be clear, the Texans are willing to deal the #1, the Rams are willing to trade out of the #2 spot, and the Jaguars will trade the #3 overall?

Sounds like a buyer's market for teams looking to move up.  Could get interesting.  There's never been a draft quite like this with so much potential volatility at the top.  Especially since it's not like the old days where teams were unwilling to move up due to the amount of money you had to spend on a top 5 pick.  That's isn't much of a factor anymore.

Archived