We're not good enough for Michael Sam, apparently

Gastineau Lives

I'm surprised no one picked up on this from his profile that's linked on the Outsports.com site.  He's obviously biased against the Jets just like all of the Cheatriot fans:

http://www.sbnation.com/users/Cyd%20Zeigler

Cyd Zeigler
  • joined Jun 29, 2012
  •  
  • last login Feb 17, 2014
  •  
  •  
  • posts 3083
  • comments 273

Cyd Zeigler is co-founder of Outsports.com. Contribute to the Huffington Post, Out magazine and The Advocate. Have appeared on CNN, ESPN and in Sports Illustrated and the New York Times to name a few.

Big NFL fan (go Pats). Live in LA with my partner and two cats.

Phone: 323-841-8293 
Email: cydzeiglerjr@gmail.com 
Twitter: @cydzeigler

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>

I'm surprised no one picked up on this from his profile that's linked on the Outsports.com site. He's obviously biased against the Jets just like all of the Cheatriot fans:

Cyd Zeigler

• joined Jun 29, 2012
  • last login Feb 17, 2014
  • posts 3083
  • comments 273
Cyd Zeigler is co-founder of Outsports.com. Contribute to the Huffington Post, Out magazine and The Advocate. Have appeared on CNN, ESPN and in Sports Illustrated and the New York Times to name a few.

Go Pats... That sums this guy up.

I'm surprised no one picked up on this from his profile that's linked on the Outsports.com site.  He's obviously biased against the Jets just like all of the Cheatriot fans:

Cyd Zeigler
  • joined Jun 29, 2012
  •  
  • last login Feb 17, 2014
  •  
  •  
  • posts 3083
  • comments 273

Figures.

Funny, because I expected him to gay bash him the second he walked through the door.

The Jets have a lot of stand up, leadership quality guys on D. Mo and Richardson, Davis, Harris seems like a quiet leader, Ed Reed helped in the secondary back half of last year. But none of the starters seem to have that scumbag trait to them. Really the only cancer on the whole team I could see from the outside looking in, was Holmes. And possibly Winslow in his own way, who probably wasn't/isn't a bad teammate per se, just a bad person. Jets at least have a solid nucleus. The big question mark revolves around the QB and getting more offensive weapons without the major character flaws. Geno is scaring me a bit so far this offseason though.  

The Jets are in "leadership transition" right now.  I think guys like Wilkerson and Richardson will do a much better job than Holmes and Scott.

That said with the amount of media that is around the Jets, Sam would be better off not being around that.  The best environment for him would be to go somewhere and play football.  How much did you hear about Manti Te’o on a national level last year?  How much would you have heard about Te’o if he was drafted by the Jets?

That has nothing to do with the team leadership and more to do with being in NY.

Eggzactly.  Nice post. You should post more.

The Jets are in "leadership transition" right now. I think guys like Wilkerson and Richardson will do a much better job than Holmes and Scott.

That said with the amount of media that is around the Jets, Sam would be better off not being around that. The best environment for him would be to go somewhere and play football. How much did you hear about Manti Te’o on a national level last year? How much would you have heard about Te’o if he was drafted by the Jets?

That has nothing to do with the team leadership and more to do with being in NY.

I think the best press the Jets can get is, if Sam falls to them and if he is a guy we could use, then pick him and treat him like anyone else. If there's a team that has the character now to do it, it's probably us. Bye bye Winslow, Holmes and Mark. The leaders now are Demario, Sheldon and Mo Wilk. Ya know, guys who do the right thing, work their asses off and let their play do the talking. Since Sheldon came out in support of Sam already I think this is just unfounded hype.

I think the best press the Jets can get is, if Sam falls to them and if he is a guy we could use, then pick him and treat him like anyone else. If there's a team that has the character now to do it, it's probably us. Bye bye Winslow, Holmes and Mark. The leaders now are Demario, Sheldon and Mo Wilk. Ya know, guys who do the right thing, work their asses off and let their play do the talking. Since Sheldon came out in support of Sam already I think this is just unfounded hype.

That is definitely the other side of things, and could help turn stuff around PR wise for the Jets.

Although, I hope that the Jets are finally making football decisions entirely.  If he can help the team and is good value in the draft, bring him in.  Unlike Tebow who was brought in for the wrong reasons and couldn't help the team.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132687/michael-sam

Cyd Zeigler, co-founder of OutSports.com and an acquaintance of Michael Sam, doesn't believe the Cowboys, Jets or Redskins would be a good fit for the edge rusher.

"He can work on any team with decent leadership," Zeigler said in an interview with a CBS radio affiliate in Washington, D.C. "I pray to God he doesn't end up on the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Jets or the Washington Redskins. I think those three teams -- they have poor leadership, but most of the other teams in the NFL have guys -- the coaching staff, the front office and locker room -- who are equipped to deal with this." We think the discussion over Sam's next destination is already overblown, and we don't think that Sam's "friends" are helping him by criticizing potential employers before the draft. If the reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year can hack it at the next level, he'll be accepted in his next locker room without question, and we'll all wonder why anyone ever thought it would be any different. If Sam can't keep up, he won't stick around a locker room long enough to find out how accommodating his fellow professionals could have been.

Woody, Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder.

Sounds about right

Or formally:

Ryan, Garrett, Shanahan, which also sounds about right. Gruden? Maybe.

Or Cyd Ziegler is a Pats fan (verified by his online profile) who just doesn't like the Jets and didn't think before making a blanket statement that included the Miami Dolphins and six teams with new head unproven coaching regimes as teams that currently possess "good strong leadership."

I can see Sam going to the Pats in the third round because Kraft would love it for PR purposes. 

If the Pats draft him, in Kraft's mind he becomes Walter O'Malley and Spygate completely falls away and BB becomes Branch Rickey. Can you imagine the orgasm ESPN has if the Pats draft this kid?

That is definitely the other side of things, and could help turn stuff around PR wise for the Jets.

Although, I hope that the Jets are finally making football decisions entirely.  If he can help the team and is good value in the draft, bring him in.  Unlike Tebow who was brought in for the wrong reasons and couldn't help the team.

I hope we are making the right decisions. It seems that with Idzik, there may be an adult in the room and I don't see him being swayed by things in either direction. If the price is right I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull the trigger. The Seahawks model is built around guys overachieving and I think that's what he's trying to do here.

I hope we are making the right decisions. It seems that with Idzik, there may be an adult in the room and I don't see him being swayed by things in either direction. If the price is right I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull the trigger. The Seahawks model is built around guys overachieving and I think that's what he's trying to do here.

I'd got for Seattle East :-)

I'd got for Seattle East :-)

The truth is probably that they got their philosophy independently, but our strategies under Rex's first year were very similar; The offense was a running game complimented by advantageous passing, and the foundation for success was defense. This year Seattle was almost identical in approach but their major difference was they were much younger and much faster. I think having Mornhinweg as the OC is the perfect compliment to the strategy.

So basically, if Idzik takes us back to our roots we should be in good shape!

Or Cyd Ziegler is a Pats fan (verified by his online profile) who just doesn't like the Jets and didn't think before making a blanket statement that included the Miami Dolphins and six teams with new head unproven coaching regimes as teams that currently possess "good strong leadership."

I can see Sam going to the Pats in the third round because Kraft would love it for PR purposes. 

If the Pats draft him, in Kraft's mind he becomes Walter O'Malley and Spygate completely falls away and BB becomes Branch Rickey. Can you imagine the orgasm ESPN has if the Pats draft this kid?

Well thought out, and I agree 100% with everything you wrote. Bravo.

OK This will sir up some controversey here

Michael Sam signs autograph deals
Updated: February 19, 2014, 3:06 PM ET
By Darren Rovell | ESPN.com

Michael Sam has signed autograph deals with five trading card companies, one of his agents, Cameron Weiss, told ESPN.com.

The former Missouri defensive end, who recently revealed he is gay, became more highly coveted after the announcement by companies that make products featuring draft eligible players.

Weiss said Sam will have autographed products in Topps, Upper Deck, Panini, Sage and Press Pass sets. He would not talk about the terms of the deals other than to say Sam was paid amounts commensurate to what the companies have paid those who are expected to be among the earliest players drafted.

Press Pass, whose first product hits stores on March 5, signed Sam even though his autograph won't be in packs of its first series.

"We normally focus on defensive players that are most likely to get drafted in the first two rounds, so Michael was originally one of our alternates," said Nick Matijevich, vice president of operations for Press Pass, which has signed 70 players to autograph deals, including Johnny ManzielJadeveon Clowney and Teddy Bridgewater. "But the news made his inclusion a no-brainer."

Matijevich said that collectors who send in the UPC code from the box will receive an autographed Sam card, while supplies last.

"We're excited to see how collectors will receive him," Matijevich said.

Weiss said Sam didn't want to sign too much as he wants to focus on his training over the next couple of weeks. Sam has a public signing in St. Louis on March 22. An autographed mini helmet at the signing will cost $60. An autographed Missouri jersey will cost $100.

Archived