1 wk. from today we see if Revis a Buc & a 3rd rd. pick.

eboozer

I am getting an uneasy feeling that Revis will work out something with the Bucs to screw. us out of that 3rd.

No one else will pay him $16 mil, so Revis agrees to be cut, and brought back with a different contract that works out to the same $ but a few mil converted to a Signing Bonus and we get a 4th instead. :shake:

That's what I'd do if I'm the Bucs.

Vilma Part II :cussing: 

I am getting an uneasy feeling that Revis will work out something with the Bucs to screw. us out of that 3rd.

No one else will pay him $16 mil, so Revis agrees to be cut, and brought back with a different contract that works out to the same $ but a few mil converted to a Signing Bonus and we get a 4th instead. :shake:

I have to imagine that they have language in the trade agreement that would address such a glaring loophole.

They got Richardson and, what, 14 million in cap room in exchange for Revis? I wouldn't exactly call them dopes for that move. Any other pick, 3rd or 4th, that's just gravy.

Didn't they eat a LOT of dead money on Revis?

They got Richardson and, what, 14 million in cap room in exchange for Revis? I wouldn't exactly call them dopes for that move. Any other pick, 3rd or 4th, that's just gravy.

Dopes for not insisting that the 3rd rounder would be guaranteed whether he was cut, traded or quit.   

If the bucs cut revis and they should we get a 4th, this rids them of the deal and

gets them space, I don't think revis will be a buc next year, why pay him 16m when

you don't have a qb ?

Even though it was largely a different regime, I doubt the organization as a whole wants to admit they gave up a 1st and 4th for a one year rental of a player who wasn't 100% until partway through the season, if he ever fully reached 100%.  I suspect that they'll keep him this season and after that it's anybody's guess.  He's still one of the best, if not the best at his respective position, I would imagine Lovie Smith would like to get a good start with his new team and Revis could certainly help.  

If the dope was Tanny I'd be in agreement. Idzik is getting his 3rd rounder. He wanted two 1st round picks originally, he had to negotiate down to a 1 and 3. He's not losing that 3rd rounder.

If they cut or trade before March 13, we get a 4th. Maybe Idzik inserted language that stated if he was to be re-signed before the Draft, Jets get the original 3rd round pick.

Let's hope this is the case. That would almost guarantee we get the 3rd, 'cause they'd be on the hook for a 1st and 4th with nothing to show for it.

If they cut or trade before March 13, we get a 4th. Maybe Idzik inserted language that stated if he was to be re-signed before the Draft, Jets get the original 3rd round pick.

Let's hope this is the case. That would almost guarantee we get the 3rd, 'cause they'd be on the hook for a 1st and 4th with nothing to show for it.

This is why im saying that Idzik is getting his 3rd rounder. If you can think of this as a fan, Idzik as a general manager had to be all over that. Im not even worried about it. Either they cut him and we get a 4th rounder and another team signs revis, or revis stays a buc. Idzik seems to know the game and the loop holes and he was going to make sure that he protected his job. 

It wouldnt look good on him as a GM to lose a 3rd rounder because he forgot to put in language avoiding that well known loophole. 

This is much different from the Vilma deal, as Vilma was a pending UFA and it was a matter of him being re-signed.  So in that case it was a simple matter of the Saints only needing to wait past the FA period began to sign the deal they had already agreed to.  In this case Revis is under contract and that means he would need to be cut.  Not only that, since it's a matter of him being on the roster on a particular day, that means they would need to cut him the prior day, let him sit on FA for the entire day, then only could re-sign him the day after that, essentially making him a FA for a minimum of two days.  Who the hell in their right mind really thinks Revis is trustworthy in such a situation?  You damn sure know another team would call his agent the second he was cut, and if anyone was willing to offer him a penny more than what the Bucs did, he's a goner.

Are we really supposed to believe the Bucs are going to take that kind of risk to save themselves one round?  If so, they're idiots and I'd be willing to bet that it blows up in their face and Revis leaves the team.  And I have seen absolutely no reason to believe Revis is the kind of guy who would involve himself in this kind of a mess just for his team, particularly if there wasn't any sort of benefit in it for him.  This guy couldn't be trusted when he was under contract with a team, why could he when he isn't?

We already pocketed a first round pick - which netted us maybe the best player in the whole draft - for an injured player who wanted to get paid over 50% more than his value.  There was exactly one suitor so we couldn't play one against the other to raise the price.

This pick, whether it's a 3rd or a 4th, is found money.  Plus with how terrible Tampa was compared to what they were expected to be, a 2014 4th rounder is maybe a dozen picks lower than what we thought their 3rd round pick was going to be at the time of the trade.

Nowhere near the Vilma trade. Tampa got horribly fleeced by Idzik, and you're actually angry and complaining that they didn't get fleeced even more?

Some people are never happy with anything.

Some of you will walk down the street and find a $50 bill, and complain to the great Lord why it's not a $100 bill.

Tampa was the only team reportedly interested in Revis at the time. How Idzik got a 1st and a 3rd is beyond me.

This would be best case. I wonder if anyone can actually get the language of the contract. That would take away a lot of this speculation  

We already pocketed a first round pick - which netted us maybe the best player in the whole draft - for an injured player who wanted to get paid over 50% more than his value.  There was exactly one suitor so we couldn't play one against the other to raise the price.

This pick, whether it's a 3rd or a 4th, is found money.  Plus with how terrible Tampa was compared to what they were expected to be, a 2014 4th rounder is maybe a dozen picks lower than what we thought their 3rd round pick was going to be at the time of the trade.

Nowhere near the Vilma trade. Tampa got horribly fleeced by Idzik, and you're actually angry and complaining that they didn't get fleeced even more?

Some people are never happy with anything.

Are you basing angry on the little emoticon at the end??

You read a lot into that post. Don't take it personally.

I'm just stating my belief that TB will try to save that 3rd and give us the 4th.

If they can't do it great!

This is much different from the Vilma deal, as Vilma was a pending UFA and it was a matter of him being re-signed. So in that case it was a simple matter of the Saints only needing to wait past the FA period began to sign the deal they had already agreed to. In this case Revis is under contract and that means he would need to be cut. Not only that, since it's a matter of him being on the roster on a particular day, that means they would need to cut him the prior day, let him sit on FA for the entire day, then only could re-sign him the day after that, essentially making him a FA for a minimum of two days. Who the hell in their right mind really thinks Revis is trustworthy in such a situation? You damn sure know another team would call his agent the second he was cut, and if anyone was willing to offer him a penny more than what the Bucs did, he's a goner.

Are we really supposed to believe the Bucs are going to take that kind of risk to save themselves one round? If so, they're idiots and I'd be willing to bet that it blows up in their face and Revis leaves the team. And I have seen absolutely no reason to believe Revis is the kind of guy who would involve himself in this kind of a mess just for his team, particularly if there wasn't any sort of benefit in it for him. This guy couldn't be trusted when he was under contract with a team, why could he when he isn't?

Dead on.

Bleedin Green, on 07 Mar 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

This is much different from the Vilma deal, as Vilma was a pending UFA and it was a matter of him being re-signed. So in that case it was a simple matter of the Saints only needing to wait past the FA period began to sign the deal they had already agreed to. In this case Revis is under contract and that means he would need to be cut. Not only that, since it's a matter of him being on the roster on a particular day, that means they would need to cut him the prior day, let him sit on FA for the entire day, then only could re-sign him the day after that, essentially making him a FA for a minimum of two days. Who the hell in their right mind really thinks Revis is trustworthy in such a situation? You damn sure know another team would call his agent the second he was cut, and if anyone was willing to offer him a penny more than what the Bucs did, he's a goner.

Are we really supposed to believe the Bucs are going to take that kind of risk to save themselves one round? If so, they're idiots and I'd be willing to bet that it blows up in their face and Revis leaves the team. And I have seen absolutely no reason to believe Revis is the kind of guy who would involve himself in this kind of a mess just for his team, particularly if there wasn't any sort of benefit in it for him. This guy couldn't be trusted when he was under contract with a team, why could he when he isn't?

OK. You win....

I'm convinced we will get the 3rd.

revis will be a Jet in 2014

LOL   Could you really imagine? Idzik would go down as the master of the universe if he rented Revis to the Bucs for a year while he gor healthy, got Sheldon and a 4th rd pick in return and then signed Revis for 8 mil a year or something like that. 

Ahhhhhh  to dream :D

What in Revis's history would make anyone think he would take less money for the good of the team?

I'd agree 12 months ago 100% with you.

But MAYBE he learned his lesson that less $ in NY is better promotionally both during his career (how many times you see Revis Island bits on ESPN last year,, LOL) and post career..

I'll bet a ton more Revis NYJ Jerseys sold than Tampa ones last 24 months  ;)

Archived