Why not Austin Howard at G?

SenorGato

To be more specific - LG in between Mangold and D'Brick. Figure stack the left side of the line with the in-house vets, sign or draft a RT, and scour the markets for a RG (or maybe a Winters breaks out). It just seems as if there are more impact tackles in the draft and FA than guards. Or am I underrating Howard as a RT? 

He did a decent job at RT.  If we keep him, why take on the unknown moving him to G.  You sure as $hit do not want to pay him what he wants to play G.  Good to see you are still missing a few brain cells, or have had too many White Russians.

He did a decent job at RT.  If we keep him, why take on the unknown moving him to G.  You sure as $hit do not want to pay him what he wants to play G.  Good to see you are still missing a few brain cells, or have had too many White Russians.

You're missing a few brain cells.

Schwartz? Asamoah? Beadles? 

ef05_zombie_brains_poster.jpg

We're going to pay him tackle money and move him to gaurd? You're my favorite JN GM

My best guess is his height would be an issue. QBs will have a tough time seeing the middle of the field with a 6'7" monster standing there.

Howard is a pretty lousy run blocker.  This move makes zero sense.

These three posts sum it all perfectly.

Howard's strength is in pass-blocking, which makes him a better fit at tackle.  His size is more suited to tackle than guard as well.  But most importantly of all, Howard wants to be paid like a tackle and if the Jets won't do it, someone else would.  You don't pay that kind of money for a guard.  Hell, look at the ridiculously dirt cheap contract Slauson got in FA last year.  Even after his great year in Chicago, his new big deal is still only $3.2 mil / year.  That's the kind of money you pay for a guard.  Consider that the money Howard wants would be more than we ever paid to Moore.  I have no doubt the Jets could get a FA at G who would be better at the position and much cheaper than Howard.

Another few more days pass and he's not even on the team. He's looking for elite right tackle money, not "let's try you out at left guard and we'll see if that works out" money.

Yeah, it's starting to seem like a near certainty that Austin will be gone at this point, so I'm actually far more interested in what they do at RT.  Guard is definitely much more of a plug and play type position where you can find reasonably priced players in FA capable of starting.  Tackle is a whole different story.

Yeah, it's starting to seem like a near certainty that Austin will be gone at this point, so I'm actually far more interested in what they do at RT.  Guard is definitely much more of a plug and play type position where you can find reasonably priced players in FA capable of starting.  Tackle is a whole different story.

Not necessarily.  He can test the FA waters and find they're not as awesome as he expected.  That's what happened with Brandon Moore before his last Jets contract.

There's even a possibility we get him inked for less than what Idzik's alleged offers to him have been so far.

Not necessarily.  He can test the FA waters and find they're not as awesome as he expected.  That's what happened with Brandon Moore before his last Jets contract.

There's even a possibility we get him inked for less than what Idzik's alleged offers to him have been so far.

That's true.  I really more meant that he's pretty clearly going to test FA at this point, but you're right, that doesn't necessarily mean that he's gone.  I'm sure they'll keep in touch with him even once FA hits.  That said, I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets start talking to other RTs on the market as soon as FA hits either, and perhaps being the ones who move on first.  Idzik doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to wait around for Howard to make a decision while the other FAs at the position are gobbled up.

That's true.  I really more meant that he's pretty clearly going to test FA at this point, but you're right, that doesn't necessarily mean that he's gone.  I'm sure they'll keep in touch with him even once FA hits.  That said, I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets start talking to other RTs on the market as soon as FA hits either, and perhaps being the ones who move on first.  Idzik doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to wait around for Howard to make a decision while the other FAs at the position are gobbled up.

$7M for Howard is insane. If he pays it I'll be disappointed.

$7M for Howard is insane. If he pays it I'll be disappointed.

Let's remember what Howard is -- a very marginal player picked up off the street 3 years ago who improved his game and became an average RT.  And who know if last year's "decent" season is going to be the norm or was an aberration.  I will give him this, he has not missed a game since becoming a starter 2 years ago.  He is just good-enough, and I would like him to stay, but not at elite $$$. 

Let's remember what Howard is -- a very marginal player picked up off the street 3 years ago who improved his game and became an average RT.  And who know if last year's "decent" season is going to be the norm or was an aberration.  I will give him this, he has not missed a game since becoming a starter 2 years ago.  He is just good-enough, and I would like him to stay, but not at elite $$$. 

Yep. It wasn't the norm for Wayne Hunter after a promising start.  And he was a veteran already, but still plenty young; less prone to having his level of play drop off a cliff. That didn't work out so well.

Yep. It wasn't the norm for Wayne Hunter after a promising start.  And he was a veteran already, but still plenty young; less prone to having his level of play drop off a cliff. That didn't work out so well.

I thought he was decent in 2012 also.  Everybody here is ranting that his strong suit is pass protection, but that was 2013.  In 2012, he graded out very highly as a run blocker and supposedly needed to improve his pass blocking.  That is me reading other's analysis of the "advanced metrics"  IMO he was solid, but not great in 2012 and 2013.

I thought he was decent in 2012 also.  Everybody here is ranting that his strong suit is pass protection, but that was 2013.  In 2012, he graded out very highly as a run blocker and supposedly needed to improve his pass blocking.  That is me reading other's analysis of the "advanced metrics"  IMO he was solid, but not great in 2012 and 2013.

I'm not ranting about anything other than him not being worth $7M/year.

Archived