Jets 'going hard' after Vontae Davis

j4jets

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5089/vontae-davis

TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports "word amongst insiders" is the Jets are "going hard" after free agent CB Vontae Davis.

The Jets are in the market for a No. 1 corner after releasing Antonio Cromartie on Monday. PFT's Mike Florio reported Davis is expected to sign a contract on Tuesday, but it's not expected to be with the Colts. The Jets could be that mystery team with a substantial offer on the table. Coach Rex Ryan loves bigger, man-cover corners. Davis fits the bill at 5-foot-11, 204 pounds. Mar 10 - 8:05 PM

Jets need a starting cover corner. Verner will easily be about $10+ mil. As long as we are not paying him Sam Shield money, this should be a good signing. Since its the FA, we will have to overpay so Im guessing this would be around $7-8mil per. He's an excellent cover corner, something that Rex loves.

Pre-signing thoughts?

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz · 31m
Asked an exec to compare Davis and Verner. Said Verner steadier, but Davis more explosive and physically talented. #nyj

What the heck does that mean? What what you rather have??

I guess I'd go with whoever is cheaper, healthier and a team player.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz · 31m

Asked an exec to compare Davis and Verner. Said Verner steadier, but Davis more explosive and physically talented. #nyj

What the heck does that mean? What what you rather have??

I guess I'd go with whoever is cheaper, healthier and a team player.

Davis is a better natural player and IMO the best press corner on the market this year, which is why I'd prefer him. However, he's a bit of a jackoff and because of that can be inconsistent at times.

Davis is a better natural player and IMO the best press corner on the market this year, which is why I'd prefer him. However, he's a bit of a jackoff and because of that can be inconsistent at times.

Seems as if Verner has better hands. Has made some incredible Int's

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5089/vontae-davis

Jets need a starting cover corner. Verner will easily be about $10+ mil. As long as we are not paying him Sam Shield money, this should be a good signing. Since its the FA, we will have to overpay so Im guessing this would be around $7-8mil per. He's an excellent cover corner, something that Rex loves.

Pre-signing thoughts?

Did anybody watch the Colts defense this year?   He's a nice player, but I wouldn't say anybody on the colts defense was excellent.

Seems as if Verner has better hands. Has made some incredible Int's

Verner is a very good player. The difference between the two for our purposes is that Davis is better in press and he makes a lot of positive plays without necessarily having to force turnovers to do it. He emerged into a shutdown-type corner last season and that is the one thing that Rex is desperately in need of. I think with the way this franchise is structuring everything around Rexism you have to take your shot on a CB with that high of a ceiling.

Verner is a very good player. The difference between the two for our purposes is that Davis is better in press and he makes a lot of positive plays without necessarily having to force turnovers to do it. He emerged into a shutdown-type corner last season and that is the one thing that Rex is desperately in need of. I think with the way this franchise is structuring everything around Rexism you have to take your shot on a CB with that high of a ceiling.

Thanks. That's good to know.

150 minutes to go!!

Is this the same Douche who used to be on the Dolphins boasting how him, and his other douchey CB partner were a better tandem than Revis, and Cro 2 years ago? If so no thanks that dude is a down grade from Cromartie.

nothing is a downgrade from last year's Cromartie

rather have him than use our first on a corner

From what I heard, he had a very inconsistent 2013 and not near a shutdown type corner.

From what I heard, he had a very inconsistent 2013 and not near a shutdown type corner.

He can be, sure. Despite that, he still graded out on PFF as third amongst CBs on the season, and second in raw pass coverage. The reason that's relevant for the purposes of the Jets is because Indy plays man on practically every single down, which means that he can sustain the demands that Rex places on his corners.

FWIW, Davis is the Colts #1 priority.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/3/10/5493256/report-vontae-davis-likely-to-leave-colts

we are less than 24 hours away from the new league year starting, thus bringing about the start of free agency, there is nothing that Colts fans are paying attention to more than the status of cornerback Vontae Davis, who has yet to re-sign with the Colts.  Davis was the team's clear-cut number one priority this offseason,

Verner made a lot of fantastic plays last season, but if you watch that highlight clip (posted in one of these threads), his turnovers are the result of some serious gambling, and many are made at the last 10th of a second.  Don't get me wrong, they're impressive to watch...but a lot of those plays could just as easily gone the other way for another 20 yards.  

Davis will give up the occasional big play, but he's present in run-support (something Verner doesn't grade well on) and he's fantastic jamming receivers at the line.  Ideally, we have two outside men that can contain their WR's routes long enough for our pass rush to affect the play. 

Davis is the better play for this team, provided he remains a professional.  Rumors of him showing up to practice with hangovers are what ultimately got him traded out of Miami.  He's cleaned up his act in Indianapolis, but lets face it, Indy is nothing like South Beach or NYC.  If he gets paid, and reverts back into party-boy-central signing him could turn out to be a big mistake. 

He can be, sure. Despite that, he still graded out on PFF as third amongst CBs on the season, and second in raw pass coverage. The reason that's relevant for the purposes of the Jets is because Indy plays man on practically every single down, which means that he can sustain the demands that Rex places on his corners.

Yes, he fits in Rex' system perfectly. I wanted this move all along so I hope we get him signed for a good 3-4 years.

Verner made a lot of fantastic plays last season, but if you watch that highlight clip (posted in one of these threads), his turnovers are the result of some serious gambling, and many are made at the last 10th of a second.  Don't get me wrong, they're impressive to watch...but a lot of those plays could just as easily gone the other way for another 20 yards.  

Davis will give up the occasional big play, but he's present in run-support (something Verner doesn't grade well on) and he's fantastic jamming receivers at the line.  Ideally, we have two outside men that can contain their WR's routes long enough for our pass rush to affect the play. 

Davis is the better play for this team, provided he remains a professional.  Rumors of him showing up to practice with hangovers are what ultimately got him traded out of Miami.  He's cleaned up his act in Indianapolis, but lets face it, Indy is nothing like South Beach or NYC.  If he gets paid, and reverts back into party-boy-central signing him could turn out to be a big mistake. 

Davis sounds like he might be cheaper.  Plus he is a man guy.  They never get the INTs a zone guy does.  Rex likes man guys

Archived