Jets Draft Profile: Brandon Cooks WR

eboozer

http://empirewritesback.com/2014/04/02/new-york-jets-brandin-cooks/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network

Brandin Cooks, the former Oregon State wide receiver, has shot up draft boards across the NFL with his phenomenal combine and pro-day performance.

With the 18th pick of the NFL Draft, the New York Jets are expected to pick an offensive weapon to help surround their quarterback with talented players- something they have not done well in the past. Could John Idzik and the Jets select Brandin Cooks with their first round pick?

Brandin Cooks is relatively small for a wide receiver, measuring in at 5’10″ and 189 pounds. However, what Cooks lacks in size he more than makes up for in talent.

Although many people may overlook Cooks because of his size, there is no denying his phenomenal success at Oregon State. This year, the speedy receiver won the Biletnikoff Award, which is given to the nation’s most outstanding college receiver. Cooks joins some great company, as previous winners include Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Michael Crabtree, Golden Tate, and more. If history repeats itself, Cooks is on track for a great NFL career.

Brandin Cooks’ Strengths

The first, most obvious strong suit of Cooks’ game is his incredible speed. The former Badger beat out all wide receivers at the combine with a 4.33 and a 3.81 shuttle run. His explosive speed will cause a major problem for opposing defenses, causing them to either respect the deep ball and be vulnerable to short passes or allow Brandin Cooks to beat them deep.

Cooks is also a very gifted athlete in the open field. Whether it’s after a nice catch down the middle, after a screen pass, or during a punt return, Brandin Cooks is always a threat to break loose from the open field.

http://empirewritesback.com/2014/04/02/new-york-jets-brandin-cooks/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network

To go along with his ridiculous speed and elusiveness, Brandin Cooks has an incredible ability to make plays on the ball, and is more than capable of adjusting tot and hauling in an inaccurate pass. Cooks received a decent amount of poorly thrown balls from teammate Sean Mannion at Oregon State, and yet he was consistently able to make a play on the ball and catch it for a nice gain.

Brandin Cooks has also proven his ability to perform well against high-quality defenders. Inside the PAC-12, Cooks was pitted against top cornerbacks Ifo Ekpre-Olomu from Oregon and Marcus Peters from Washington, who made 1st and 2nd team All PAC-12 respectively. Against these top corners, Cooks totaled 227 receiving yards on 20 receptions, along with one touchdown reception. Against Utah’s Keith McGill, who is a projected 3rd round pick (and is also 5 inches taller and approximately 25 pounds bigger), Brandin Cooks recorded 9 catches for a whopping 210 yards and 3 touchdowns. Cooks has proven he can play with some of the better corners at a collegiate level, and we’ll have to see how that translates to the pros.

Brandin Cooks’ Weaknesses

However, despite all these positive traits there is no denying that there are some cons to drafting Brandin Cooks. For starters, he will have a difficult time getting away with his sub-par size and strength at the professional level, despite his success at Oregon State. If the Jets draft Cooks he would face Brandon Browner (NE) and Cortland Finnegan (MIA) twice a year, two very physical and aggressive corners. Against these type of aggressive corners in man to man coverage, Cooks may struggle at the line.

Cooks is also vulnerable to fumbling the football and the occasional drop. Although Cooks’ hands are relatively consistent for the most part, he occasionally loses the ball during the process of securing it. Fortunately, unlike his size this is a flaw that can be fixed with the certain amount of practice.

Another weakness of his is his inadequate blocking ability, which may cause some problems if the Jets want to execute some runs/screens to the outside. At Oregon State, we saw time and time again that Cooks’ was incapable of producing an effective block on the opposing defender.

NFL Comparison

In the NFL, Brandin Cooks compares to a much more durable Percy Harvin. Approximately the same size, Cooks shares the same speed and agility as Percy Harvin, and although he may not be as versatile he is certainly less of an injury concern, never missing a game at any level.

Potential New York Jet?

Brandin Cooks certainly has the potential to be drafted by the New York Jets. Obviously, the Jets are in desperate need of an offensive weapon, and the possibility of both TE Eric Ebron and WR Marquise Lee being drafted before the Jets’ pick makes Cooks a much more intriguing prospect.

Cooks would probably be expected to play receiver on the outside opposite Eric Decker for the majority of the time. Although his size may be an issue, Cooks should be able to increase is level of physicality, allowing him to break away from stronger defenders. If necessary, Brandin Cooks could play out of the slot and easily burn a safety or a linebacker in coverage.

Also, the Oregon State alum’s elite speed will force defenses to respect the deep ball, allowing receivers like Eric Decker or Jeremy Kelley to find open spaces beneath the coverage. Brandin’s ability to adjust to adjust to the football will certainly be beneficial when Geno Smith/Michael Vick misses the target slightly, which is bound to happen with either of the two quarterbacks.

Brandin Cooks certainly has the ability to succeed at a professional level, and could potentially bring his talents to East Rutherford if the New York Jets choose to take him in the 18th slot.

I think this is the guy the Jets are targeting seeing they didn't even muster a phone call for Desean.  I could be wrong.  Pairing a veteran with one on a rookie deal is ideal in a cap sense and something he wanted to accomplish in FA at the CB position.  Possibly another reason why Idzik didn't consider Desean.

What's interesting is their sudden interest in Amaro but they are probably just conducting due diligence.  And what would happen if they were to land Denarius Moore?

Cooks has joystick-like action and would probably thrive in Marty's offense. 

Between now and the draft I'll probably believe the Jets will select a CB, TE, OLB or WR with this first pick.  Can't we just get this thing over with or do we really have to wait until May?  And  what if Barr were to drop?

I think this is the guy the Jets are targeting seeing they didn't even muster a phone call for Desean.  I could be wrong.  Pairing a veteran with one on a rookie deal is ideal in a cap sense and something he wanted to accomplish in FA at the CB position.  Possibly another reason why Idzik didn't consider Desean.

What's interesting is their sudden interest in Amaro but they are probably just conducting due diligence.  And what would happen if they were to land Denarius Moore?

Between now and the draft I'll probably believe the Jets will select a CB, TE, OLB or WR with this first pick.  Can't we just get this thing over with or do we really have to wait until May?  And  what if Barr were to drop?

So if Cooks is MM's version of DJ, does that mean CJ1k would be our Shady McCoy? Are they really gonna' try and give Marty somewhat equal tools to what he had in Philly? I'd certainly be OK with that. Is Amaro our next Celek?

Nonsense. If Idzik is contacting players, it means his interest is only serious and not drafting them will mean he clearly lost out.

Cooks is good, but I don't want him at 18. I'd rather have a bigger receiver to go with Decker and make Kerley the slot guy. I think there is better options for us at 18

I like Cooks, but not at #18. I am more impressed with him post-combine, but still thinks he, more likely than not, translates to a slot guy at the pro level.  I think he could be had in the 2nd.

I like Cooks, but not at #18. I am more impressed with him post-combine, but still thinks he, more likely than not, translates to a slot guy at the pro level.  I think he could be had in the 2nd.

Yeah I can't see him excelling on the outside. I could be wrong

Nonsense. If Idzik is contacting players, it means his interest is only serious and not drafting them will mean he clearly lost out.

I don't get it.

If you mean contacting FA's and reports linking serious interest, okay.  That I would get.

what does his height have to do with picking him at 18? kid is a playmaker and would hopefully be a plug and play at the #2 wr spot. Decker/Cooks/Kerley is very formidable. 

If the Jets draft Cooks he would face Brandon Browner (NE) and Cortland Finnegan (MIA) twice a year, two very physical and aggressive corners. 

hahahahahaha 

If he's a genuine 189lbs, that means in a couple of years he should be getting close to 200lbs with no loss of speed.  People fill out a little in their mid twenties, your not completely grown yet at 21 or 22.  That means he might not be quite so easy to manhandle at the line of scrimmage.  The WRs who consistently have trouble getting past the line tend to be more like 175lbs.

what does his height have to do with picking him at 18? kid is a playmaker and would hopefully be a plug and play at the #2 wr spot. Decker/Cooks/Kerley is very formidable. 

hahahahahaha 

Agreed. If height is what's holding the Jets from drafting him 18th overall than that's silly. If Cooks was BAP at the time, that is.

The Oakland Raider?

I prefer bigger WRs, but if this is the guy scouting ends up really setting their sights on at 18 I would be fine with it. I really like this FO - not just Idzik but loooooooooooved the Graves hire. I think  Graves is a guy who has shown an exceptional eye for talent - those AZ teams he built were some of my favorite from the 2000s (mostly individual players as they never put it together beyond the '08 playoff run). It they like Cooks then I'm in. Height appears to be his only issue anyway.

DeSean Jackson # WR

Washington Redskins | Official Team Site

Height: 5-10 Weight: 175 Age: 27

Brandin Cooks: I can do it like DeSean Jackson and do it better
Posted by Josh Alper on April 3, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
d74cfcc3c240cdeb914f67994f6ae97e-e139653Getty Images

Now that DeSean Jackson is officially a member of the Redskins, one of the questions to ponder is what the Eagles will do to replace his production in their offense.

The arrival of Darren Sproles in a trade with the Saints and the return of Jeremy Maclin from a torn ACL should both be part of the plan, but the team will also have a chance to address the receiver position during the draft. Adam Caplan of ESPN reports that Texas A&M’s Mike Evans is on the radar, although Philly would likely have to trade up to land him, along with Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks.

At 5-10 and 189 pounds, Cooks has a similar frame to Jackson and he’s expected to come off the board somewhere around the 22nd overall pick owned by the Eagles. Should Philly decide to go in that direction, Cooks says they’ll be getting what they lost in Jackson and more.

“His game is unbelievable,” Cooks said, via Jimmy Kempski of Philly.com. “The man can blow the top off, catch the deep routes, catch the underneath routes, produce in the return game. He’s just special. He’s a freak. I definitely admire his game. Maybe Chip Kelly is looking to take another speedy receiver in that first round, and that could be me. Who knows? And if that’s the case, a lot of people will wonder ‘Can he do it like DeSean Jackson?’ In my opinion, I can do it like him and do it better.”

Clemson’s Sammy Watkins is widely regarded as the top receiver in the draft with Evans also expected to go early in the first round. Cooks, USC’s Marqise Lee and LSU’s Odell Beckham are the next three receivers on most lists and the Eagles should have a chance to grab one of them to help fill the void left by Jackson once May rolls around.

While my preference is Lee, Beckham and then Cooks, I'd be happy with whomever the FO lands on. I don't see how the height/size is the deciding factor, it's not hard to line him up in the slot or the Z/off the LOS so as he can escape press-man. He'd hardly be the first undersized receiver in the league, many of which are thriving with creative OCs. 

The Oakland Raider?

The Raiders are supposedly shopping Moore for a 4th.  I wonder what Lal thinks of him.  He had him as a rookie.  Moore might not be a bad option.  Fast and decent production with an assortment of QBs, may of whom are/were crappy.  Problem is he is on the last year of his deal, but it is cheap at $650K. I kind of fell in love with that Andre Holmes, but of course the only game I saw besides the Jets was Thanksgiving and he probably had near half his career production in that game.

Kerley is 5'9 and Cooks is 5'10. There's better options at 18 who are taller

Don't we already have a 6'5 (Nelson), 6'4 (Hill) and a 6'3 (Decker)?  Why do we need more trees? 

Beckham is 5'11 and Lee 6'0.  Is height really the greatest asset of a WR?  DeSean Jackson is 5'10. 

Don't we already have a 6'5 (Nelson), 6'4 (Hill) and a 6'3 (Decker)?  Why do we need more trees? 

Beckham is 5'11 and Lee 6'0.  Is height really the greatest asset of a WR?  DeSean Jackson is 5'10. 

Cooks is not exactly Desean Jackson, and height definitely helps. How many other 5'10 receivers really excel in the NFL? Nelson is good, and Hill sucks and doesn't know how to use his size. 

Cooks is not exactly Desean Jackson, and height definitely helps. How many other 5'10 receivers really excel in the NFL? Nelson is good, and Hill sucks and doesn't know how to use his size. 

I'd say Cooks is quite comparable to Jackson (as a rookie) at this stage in his career.  DeSean went in the 2nd round.  Cooks might be a bit more durable and will certainly improve and could thrive in Marty's offense.  Would complement Decker well.

But I know it's way too cool to have all 6'5 WR's on their team.  How can I argue against that? 

Just looking at 2013?  Victor Cruz, Antonio Brown, TY Hilton and Kendall Wright all had 1000 last year (okay Cruz only had 998). Harry Douglas and Julian Edelman are listed at 5'11" but I think Edelman is shorter.  I guess that Welker and Smith don't meet your requirements because they are shorter. 

*Cruz is apparently listed at six foot, but I have met the man and shook his hand and he is not.  

Just looking at 2013?  Victor Cruz, Antonio Brown, TY Hilton and Kendall Wright all had 1000 last year (okay Cruz only had 998). Harry Douglas and Julian Edelman are listed at 5'11" but I think Edelman is shorter.  I guess that Welker and Smith don't meet your requirements because they are shorter. 

*Cruz is apparently listed at six foot, but I have met the man and shook his hand and he is not.  

I stand corrected. Makes me think I could have made the league if I was 3 inches taller

...maybe if you believed height was the only factor relevant to being a good WR. 

Well I'm 5'7. I wasn't looked at because of my height but I probably could have played college ball. I could still probably run a 4.6 but I'm 30 and stopped playing football senior year of high school. Heights not the only factor but it does play a part, and I don't know, I just think some of his game play in college won't slide in the NFL. A lot of bad tackling contributed to big gains in open field, definitely dangerous in open field but we'll see. 

Archived