OL in the first?

bergenjets

works for me.  I think it was acorsi who said the hierarchy of football needs is;

get the QB

protect the QB

rush the QB

so if it's the second most valuable unit, if you have a OG or swing OT on the board, take him.  I wouldn't be a fan of a true LT this year or a center who can't play guard tho  (obv)

there won't be such a great OT left at 18. the big 3 (Robinson, Matthews, Lewan) will be long gone (Top 10).

Zack Martin could easily go 16 to DAL or 17 to BAL. 

If you take a player in rd 1, it's with the expectation that he would start.

Let's pretend the Jets draft Zack Martin... Where would this player start? 

It would have to be LG for Winters. They gave a mil to Colon to return. Brick, Mangold and yes even Breno are getting too much to sit (fun fact Breno Giacomini is smething crazy like the 4th highest paid Jet this year. More a function of how few people are getting money from the Jets, but still) 

So you just drafted an LG at 18. Doesn't sound like the Jets. 

there won't be such a great OT left at 18. the big 3 (Robinson, Matthews, Lewan) will be long gone (Top 10).

Zack Martin could easily go 16 to DAL or 17 to BAL. 

If you take a player in rd 1, it's with the expectation that he would start.

Let's pretend the Jets draft Zack Martin... Where would this player start? 

It would have to be LG for Winters. They gave a mil to Colon to return. Brick, Mangold and yes even Breno are getting too much to sit (fun fact Breno Giacomini is smething crazy like the 4th highest paid Jet this year. More a function of how few people are getting money from the Jets, but still) 

So you just drafted an LG at 18. Doesn't sound like the Jets. 

Ooooooh, a mil!   There are no players making a million on the bench!

Let me see if I have this straight:  Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles all gone. Robinson, Matthews, Lewan, Clowney, Watkins, Evans, Lee, Mack, Donald, locks to be gone and we are going to have to trade up for Ebron or Beckham?  

A draft pick or two on the OL helps to solidify the line for the long run. Colon and Giacomini are both hold the fort starters with no heir apparent behind them. 

More of a late round option than an early round option though. They'd only draft a guard on the first two days to start. Tackle's a little different, depends whether or not that guy is drafted to be a long-term successor to Brick.

William Campbell likely got drafted in the sixth and kept on the active roster all of last season for a reason too. Whether or not he ends up being a starting caliber player I have no idea, but I'd be shocked if the goal isn't for him to develop into a starter after a year or two.

And Giacomini will likely be starting for at least two seasons, or at least that seems to be the plan. They could cut him before next season but would save almost nothing. Easiest cut comes in 2016.

There is no way they draft a guard and all the really good tackles will be gone. It's really easy to get locked into this mindset that the BPA couldn't possibly be a skill position player, it's gotta be "solid".

A tackle does not replace Ferguson. He will not replace Giacomini for as much benefit to warrant passing on a CB or WR.

The same holds true for guard. Colon is solid, especially in pass protection, he's a vet and Winters was your third rounder last year. Idzik is going to draft a first round guard to replace his third rounder? No way. No way do you use a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick and a 6th round pick in successive seasons at a position you can draft later on. That's the height of inefficiency.

More of a late round option than an early round option though. They'd only draft a guard on the first two days to start. Tackle's a little different, depends whether or not that guy is drafted to be a long-term successor to Brick.

William Campbell likely got drafted in the sixth and kept on the active roster all of last season for a reason too. Whether or not he ends up being a starting caliber player I have no idea, but I'd be shocked if the goal isn't for him to develop into a starter after a year or two.

And Giacomini will likely be starting for at least two seasons, or at least that seems to be the plan. They could cut him before next season but would save almost nothing. Easiest cut comes in 2016.

I'd be happy either way. Campbell could evolve into a starter but that is unknown at this point. I also consider Colon to be something of a concern due to his injury last season. Perhaps the Jets don't need to go first round for OL, but if they did it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. In the short term it would provide an insurance policy in case Colon hasn't recovered like the team wants him to, and in the long term we have our future starter at RG.

I'm particularly interested in Zack Martin for this reason. He could provide insurance on the entire OL until he's slotted in as a starter himself.

Ooooooh, a mil!   There are no players making a million on the bench!

Let me see if I have this straight:  Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles all gone. Robinson, Matthews, Lewan, Clowney, Watkins, Evans, Lee, Mack, Donald, locks to be gone and we are going to have to trade up for Ebron or Beckham?  

Mike Goodson is an example of a player who made a mil last year and didn't play. Usually these guys play.

regardless, Colon and Winters are guards, the Jets aren't gonna draft a guard at 18, not with all that other big money on the line. 3 out of the 5 guys are "big money" guys already.  

as for your list, Bridge will be there, and you named 10-12 other names but no DB.

Would take Zack Martin over Gilbert, Fuller, Dennard? Dix also would probably be BAP in that scenario and it's hard to argue with Brandin Cooks, no matter where's he taken. . 

I'd be happy either way. Campbell could evolve into a starter but that is unknown at this point. I also consider Colon to be something of a concern due to his injury last season. Perhaps the Jets don't need to go first round for OL, but if they did it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. In the short term it would provide an insurance policy in case Colon hasn't recovered like the team wants him to, and in the long term we have our future starter at RG.

I'm particularly interested in Zack Martin for this reason. He could provide insurance on the entire OL until he's slotted in as a starter himself.

You were talking about drafting an offensive lineman early to secure positions for the future since Colon and Giacomini won't be starting immediately. I was simply pointing out they're not going to draft an offensive lineman early to sit on the bench. That's a position where guys don't rotate in. If they draft an outside linebacker early and he's behind Pace, he can still come in on passing downs and rush the quarterback. An offensive lineman on the bench is just going to stay there unless someone gets hurt.

Drafting a guy in the late rounds to improve depth and potentially start down the road makes sense. If they draft a guy early I'd be completely and utterly shocked if it's not a guard who starts this season. That's not something I'd be a huge fan of, but I could see the rationale behind it. But I don't think with the roster as constructed the Jets have the luxury to draft an offensive lineman in the first or second round with the intention of having him start in a year. Maybe the third, but the goal would likely to have him start by the end of the season. 

I'd also be very surprised if Martin is available.

Not this draft.  Last year I would've been all in for cooper or warmack, as they seemed to be dominant at their positions.  Warford was actually the best of the bunch, at least as a rookie.  But this year I don't see an OG that warrants the 18th overall.  Yankey or Gabe Jackson can be had later, and there's the chance Su'afilo falls to us after a QB/OT/WR run.  

Mike Goodson is an example of a player who made a mil last year and didn't play. Usually these guys play.

regardless, Colon and Winters are guards, the Jets aren't gonna draft a guard at 18, not with all that other big money on the line. 3 out of the 5 guys are "big money" guys already.  

as for your list, Bridge will be there, and you named 10-12 other names but no DB.

Would take Zack Martin over Gilbert, Fuller, Dennard? Dix also would probably be BAP in that scenario and it's hard to argue with Brandin Cooks, no matter where's he taken. . 

I purposely did not name any DBs because we all know a corner or two will go before our slot.  This logic means they WILL draft a T because Ijalana is scheduled for $925K or so.  If they won't demote or cut an old, injured penalty machine like Colon, they certainly won't pay a never was like Ijalana.

works for me. I think it was acorsi who said the hierarchy of football needs is;

get the QB

protect the QB

rush the QB

so if it's the second most valuable unit, if you have a OG or swing OT on the board, take him. I wouldn't be a fan of a true LT this year or a center who can't play guard tho (obv)

I don't know when Acorsi said that, but he wasn't referring to the OL as a whole, he was specifically talking about the LT position. Those are the guys with the potential to go #1 overall. The very best prospects at every other position on the OL rarely gets drafted in the top half of the first round, if they go in the first at all.

In today's league, WRs and CBs are premium positions (just look at their pay!). They're both needs for the Jets, and both likely targets for the team in the first couple rounds.

I like the way the Jets drafted OL last year, and I expect more of the same this year - minus the third round pick. Guards, right tackles, centers can all be developed over time. I'd much rather have a Brandon Moore at G than a Jonathan Cooper. These are guys who should be acquired cheaply, and trained to work in a unit. This year, half the Jets' draft picks come in the fifth round and later. I'd expect a couple more developmental guys selected there to compete and/or replace Aboushi and Campbell, with the losers maybe finding themselves on the practice squad. Ideally those guys taken last year have come along and are battling for starting jobs this season.

Archived