RB Chris Johnson expects big role in passing situations

faba

By Darryl Slater | The Star-Ledger 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on August 06, 2014 at 10:45 AM, updated August 06, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Reddit

Email

Catching passes was a big part of running back Chris Johnson’s game during his first six NFL seasons, all of which he spent with the Titans.

Johnson caught anywhere between 36 and 57 passes in those seasons. His career receiving totals: 272 catches for 2,003 yards and eight touchdowns. Johnson averaged anywhere between 5.6 and 10.1 yards per catch with the Titans.

The Jets signed Johnson during free agency. His receiving skills are one asset they hoped he could offer their sputtering West Coast offense.

Last offseason, the Jets signed running back Mike Goodson, believing he would be able to catch passes out of the backfield. But between an offseason arrest that led to a four-game suspension, and a season-ending knee injury, Goodson wound up playing just two games last season, and making two catches for 19 yards. The Jets cut him this offseason.

Enter Johnson, a former 2,000-yard rusher who could very well take over as the Jets’ primary back, in terms of carries. The Jets continue to say they plan to use Johnson in tandem with power back Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. (A Johnson-Ivory pairing on the field together is also a fairly intriguing prospect.)

Last season, Powell was the Jets’ receiving threat out of the backfield. He had 36 catches for 272 yards (7.6 per catch). Ivory made just two catches.

Not only will the Jets have Johnson catch passes out of the backfield, you could also see him flexed out as a wide receiver. Johnson said that based on what he has seen and done so far in training camp, he could flex out “a lot more” than he did in Tennessee. It is yet another way the Jets can use his speed.

“We practiced that stuff in Tennessee, but pretty much when the game came, we didn’t do a lot of it,” Johnson said. “But it seems like we’ll be focusing on that a lot around here. I like it. That’s just another way that Marty (Mornhinweg, the offensive coordinator) is going to have a chance to get me in space and get me in the open field. Whatever things he’s got planned, I’m liking it right now.”

The Jets play their first preseason game at home Thursday night, against the Colts. Maybe Mornhinweg will not use those plays with Johnson flexed out, wary of putting them on film at this early juncture.

(No sense in tipping your hand in a meaningless game, right? Then again, there is the reality that the Jets want to work on plays against an opponent, in order to perfect them.)

Johnson definitely will play in the game, in some capacity. It will mark his first time being tackled to the ground by opposing players since he underwent offseason knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus.

After Saturday night’s intrasquad scrimmage, he talked about getting the butterflies out with that first tackle to the ground. He expects Thursday night to be yet another hurdle for him to clear, in regard to taking contact.

“It’ll be pretty much the same in a live game,” he said. “I’m pretty sure after the first play, everything will get back to the same (as normal).”

The Jets have given Johnson just one full practice off in training camp, to rest his knee. He said the knee “feels great,” adding that he hasn’t had to wear a brace, which he considers to be encouraging.

As a veteran with 1,742 career carries on his body, Johnson does not need a specific number of carries in the preseason before he feels ready. But rather, as he enters a new offense with the Jets that could demand varied duties from him, he just wants to reach the point where things feel smooth in Mornhinweg’s system.

“I don’t think a number of carries (in preseason games is required to feel comfortable),” he said. “I think pretty much just trying to get comfortable, and once you’re in there and you get comfortable, I think your own body will know when it’s enough.”

He's getting no less than 50 catches this year. 

You're asking a lot out of our QBs....

I am excited. I hope that we give him the ball a ton. I hope he cuts down on the idiotic cutting back and losing yards nonsense. But other than that, I love this speed demon. Madden can't be wrong. 

I love the way CJ seems to have his hear screwed on right so far as his role is concerned.  No drama - just production.

Excited to see CJ2K in green and white.

4-5 posts in this thread are positive pro Jet?  WHERE THE HELL AM I?   

Less third and longs more punishing teams for having the safety in the box.

Not to mention a few other plays where it's just a dumpoff to a safety valve and the play ends up going for more yardage than the primary WR would have. Or even just a handoff. Been some time since we had that in Leon. Would be nice if (like Leon in '08) we could get multiple long TDs from out of the backfield. 

Just from looking up, we didn't have a single TD of 20 yards from a RB last season despite being 5th in rushing attempts. One 15-yarder from Ivory and an 11-yarder from Powell and that was the full number of RB TDs of double-digit yards in 16 games.  Yeah Goodson was supposed to fill that role, even after coming off suspension, but clearly that didn't happen. 

It's a nice luxury to have that kind of x-factor on the field that can score a TD at any time on any play he's on the field, regardless of down or distance or field position. Also will be nice that we won't have to wear down his fresh legs by feeding him 300 touches (in particular, goal line and other short yardage up the gut plays).

2014 Top 4 receiving options:

1.  Decker

2.  Kerley

3.  Johnson

4.  Amaro/other

2013 Top 4 receiving options (when Kerley and Holmes were hurt):

1.  Nelson

2.  Powell

3.  Winslow

4.  Cumberland/Hill

Yeah, no chance Geno plays significantly better this season.  None.  Thanks Idzik.

Archived