Jets \ Colts -- Game Day Thread (Preseason Week One)

Maxman

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, too bad we didn't draft Johnny Manziel who's getting crushed in training camp by Brian Hoyer.  Too bad.

Also, all the complaining and no one wants to talk about the fact that the biggest problem going is the offensive line?

Rex and Woody, yeah I agree. However, I think it's a huge leap and a little ridiculous to imply that Geno couldn't have improved from year 1 to year 2, or that Marty won't get more offense out of all of the new parts of the offense in spite of Rex.

I dunno. I have zero faith in all of them.

so cool to see the look on furney's face.  good for you kid

mcdougle looks like a player to me

colts had a brutal night for injuries, jets get out of if basically unscathed, right ?

great start to the PS

Not that it's ever encouraging to see your team play mediocre, but a little context is needed: the offense didn't know what plays they would be running until the day before this game and the defense didn't scout the opposing team an ounce.  Until the third preseason game when a bit of work actually goes into it, it's hard to take much away from these things.  Just hope that Ivory and Nelson's injuries are minor and we come out of the next couple of games with the same relative health.

Not that it's ever encouraging to see your team play mediocre, but a little context is needed: the offense didn't know what plays they would be running until the day before this game and the defense didn't scout the opposing team an ounce.  Until the third preseason game when a bit of work actually goes into it, it's hard to take much away from these things.  Just hope that Ivory and Nelson's injuries are minor and we come out of the next couple of games with the same relative health.

nelson seemed ok on the sidelines, he was joking around and looked fine.  whatever that is worth, lol

I just watched the first half on replay on nfl.com

Here are my conclusions, watching the play on the field, and the body language off the field:

1.  geno's play is very choppy / there is no smoothness to his game / he almost through a boneheaded pick 6 he had no business throwing across the field as he was flushed out of the pocket and was being tackled -- he does not seem to have learned that much in year 2

2.  vick quite obviously outplayed him.  any non biased assessment would lead to that conclusion.

3.  the rest of the offense played better for vick, it look like a much smoother scoring machine

4.  i may be reading too much into this, but geno is also standing alone on the sideline -- almost arrogantly so -- while vick always seems to have a possee around him, and is always talking with the younger players in what looks like a positiive way

5.  i dont think decker (judging by body language on the sideline) thinks to highly of geno as a qb -- again, the body language shows like hmmm what have we got here?

6.  in general, i would say the rest of the jets know that vick is the better, more talented qb -- just by how they act differently around each qb

7.  the gameplan was horrendous / very conservative, totally lacking in imagination

8.  had luck stayed in, it probably would have ended up 48 -10 / noting that long hasselbeck pass, i think the secondary is an obvious weakness

conclusion:  start vick, let geno learn the game riding the bench for a while till vick gets injured.  vick lost his starting role to injuries last year.  geno did not win the staring job outright, he benefited from mark being injured in that dumb giants game.  in my opinion, he is not a winner, nor is he a legitimate NFL starting QB. he had a good dec against weak teams.

if Rex has any balls, he shoudl tell Idzick that his pet project is obviously not ready for prime time.  that he (Rex) should stake his job on vick starting, and may win over half their games against that grueling schedule till the break, by which time geno would have maybe learned how to play this game, and take us the rest of the way to the playoffs.  the more cynical expalanation is that rex can claim to woody he is blameless if idzick's pick turns out to be phoney baloney:  rex can claim he was forced to start geno, but knew that vick was the correct short term answer to a winning season.  then in the midst of all the dissension, we see idzik taking the heat, and maybe be gone next year.  after all wooody didnt pick him.  he hired someone to pick him for him.

a very positive positive is the play of Alex Green, though they dont really need another running back.

final words:  to repeat offense is more dynamic, creative under vick.  it was immediately obvious when viewed under replay.

Rex better wake up, instead of trying to recreate the team he had in the Sanchize's first year.  run run run run run dink pass run run run.

Yeah, too bad we didn't draft Johnny Manziel who's getting crushed in training camp by Brian Hoyer.  Too bad.

Also, all the complaining and no one wants to talk about the fact that the biggest problem going is the offensive line?

Lol do you even follow the Browns. I'm following all of the first round rookie qbs (except bortles) and Carr, and based off of last training camp Hoyer threw 2 picks while Manziel had a pretty good day. 

Here are my conclusions, watching the play on the field, and the body language off the field:

1.  geno's play is very choppy / there is no smoothness to his game / he almost through a boneheaded pick 6 he had no business throwing across the field as he was flushed out of the pocket and was being tackled -- he does not seem to have learned that much in year 2

2.  vick quite obviously outplayed himany non biased assessment would lead to that conclusion.

3.  the rest of the offense played better for vick, it look like a much smoother scoring machine

4.  i may be reading too much into this, but geno is also standing alone on the sideline -- almost arrogantly so -- while vick always seems to have a possee around him, and is always talking with the younger players in what looks like a positiive way

5.  i dont think decker (judging by body language on the sideline) thinks to highly of geno as a qb -- again, the body language shows like hmmm what have we got here?

6.  in general, i would say the rest of the jets know that vick is the better, more talented qb -- just by how they act differently around each qb

7.  the gameplan was horrendous / very conservative, totally lacking in imagination

8.  had luck stayed in, it probably would have ended up 48 -10 / noting that long hasselbeck pass, i think the secondary is an obvious weakness

conclusion:  start vick, let geno learn the game riding the bench for a while till vick gets injured.  vick lost his starting role to injuries last year.  geno did not win the staring job outright, he benefited from mark being injured in that dumb giants game.  in my opinion, he is not a winner, nor is he a legitimate NFL starting QB. he had a good dec against weak teams.

if Rex has any balls, he shoudl tell Idzick that his pet project is obviously not ready for prime time.  that he (Rex) should stake his job on vick starting, and may win over half their games against that grueling schedule till the break, by which time geno would have maybe learned how to play this game, and take us the rest of the way to the playoffs.  the more cynical expalanation is that rex can claim to woody he is blameless if idzick's pick turns out to be phoney baloney:  rex can claim he was forced to start geno, but knew that vick was the correct short term answer to a winning season.  then in the midst of all the dissension, we see idzik taking the heat, and maybe be gone next year.  after all wooody didnt pick him.  he hired someone to pick him for him.

a very positive positive is the play of Alex Green, though they dont really need another running back.

final words:  to repeat offense is more dynamic, creative under vick.  it was immediately obvious when viewed under replay.

Rex better wake up, instead of trying to recreate the team he had in the Sanchize's first year.  run run run run run dink pass run run run.

You do know that Vick played exclusively against the 2nd team defense right?  I totally disagree with your unbiased line, it seems like you have your mind made about already about Vick. Reading into body language on a choppy telecast is a bit rough in my opinion. :)

2.  vick quite obviously outplayed him.  any non biased assessment would lead to that conclusion.

So you're a bit of a Vick fan, huh?

Archived