Could it be the WR coaching?

BroadwayJets

I really don't know much about Sanjay Lal, but there is a serious lack of progress our young receivers make. Minus Kerley, we haven't seen much out of our WR draft picks. Interested to learn more because I can't figure if this plays a part in the fact that we suck at picking wideouts in the draft. 

Which WR draft picks, plural, are you talking about?

Stephen Hill didn't pan out. He was a project and a ridiculous draft pick. The other receivers we've taken, not named Kerley, include guys like Scotty McKnight. You can't really read into this year's rookies, so which guys are you talking about?

I don't ask this in defense of Sanjay Lal, because hiring any Raiders position coach is like hiring a landscaper to cut your hair. Just curious if you have any examples... 

Which WR draft picks, plural, are you talking about?

Stephen Hill didn't pan out. He was a project and a ridiculous draft pick. The other receivers we've taken, not named Kerley, include guys like Scotty McKnight. You can't really read into this year's rookies, so which guys are you talking about?

I don't ask this in defense of Sanjay Lal, because hiring any Raiders position coach is like hiring a landscaper to cut your hair. Just curious if you have any examples... 

I mean mainly I'm talking about Stephen Hill, but all around the league we see guys that are taken in the later rounds turn into something. We've relied in the past 6 years on FA WR talent. Saints always seem to get something out of their late round receivers. Seems like a legitimate question, I could be wrong. Somethings gotta give though

I mean mainly I'm talking about Stephen Hill, but all around the league we see guys that are taken in the later rounds turn into something. We've relied in the past 6 years on FA WR talent. Saints always seem to get something out of their late round receivers. Seems like a legitimate question, I could be wrong. Somethings gotta give though

The Saints spent high picks on guys like Robert Meachem and got nothing out of them. Then they spent 7th rounders on guys like Colston, an converted TE.

Look no further than Drew Brees. He has a history of playing better, and having more chemistry, with the larger TE sized body types. Graham, Gates, Colston... not to imply he can't connect with anyone, but that's where he builds his chemistry and rhythm. 

If you don't have an example beyond Hill, you don't have a case. Sorry.

The first step in being able to score with WRs taken late is having a great QB. Not a great WR position coach.

Yeah, it's amazing that he hasn't been able to turn a guy who caught 38 balls in college and runs like Bambi on a skating rink how to be a legitimate NFL receiver. Or fourth to seventh rounders because those guys always flourish in the NFL.

Give me a break.

I agree 1000% on your description of Hill, but his suckage and the coaches suckage are not mutually exclusive.  I had never heard of Sanjay Lai until he joined the Jets and have heard almost nothing of him during his stay here.  For all know, he could be a cricket player from Bangladesh. 

I didn't see this thread when I made my last post on exactly this topic. What i said in the JN Game Summary thread was , bottom line: it's the Head Coaches job to recognize when something isn't working and we all know how much time Rex spends on that side of the practice field. he's over with his big boys joking around and giving them all funny nicknames, leaving the O side of the ball to "those" guys

I didn't see this thread when I made my last post on exactly this topic. What i said in the JN Game Summary thread was , bottom line: it's the Head Coaches job to recognize when something isn't working and we all know how much time Rex spends on that side of the practice field. he's over with his big boys joking around and giving them all funny nicknames, leaving the O side of the ball to "those" guys

We have a Head Coach?  News to me.  I thought the Jets were built on defensive genius. 

Well what we do know is that Marty knows offense. If Sanjay was a complete incompetent I'm pretty sure he would have been exposed in Marty's presence. He could have gotten away from it with Sporano maybe but not Morningstar.

Hill's lack of progress saddens me though. I must admit it.

I agree 1000% on your description of Hill, but his suckage and the coaches suckage are not mutually exclusive.  I had never heard of Sanjay Lai until he joined the Jets and have heard almost nothing of him during his stay here.  For all know, he could be a cricket player from Bangladesh.

He's not saying anything positive about Lal. He's saying that the lack of development of Stephen Hill, and Scotty McKnight, is proof of nothing. It would be different if we'd drafted a handful of WRs during the past 3 seasons he's been here, with far better resumes than Hill/McKnight, and none of them developed. Also that even meh WRs are going to look more meh with a bad QB than with a great (or good) one.

That's how I read it, anyway.

He's not saying anything positive about Lal. He's saying that the lack of development of Stephen Hill, and Scotty McKnight, is proof of nothing. It would be different if we'd drafted a handful of WRs during the past 3 seasons he's been here, with far better resumes than Hill/McKnight, and none of them developed. Also that even meh WRs are going to look more meh with a bad QB than with a great (or good) one.

That's exactly what I was saying. I don't think there is sufficient evidence to indict Lal.

Look no further than Drew Brees. He has a history of playing better, and having more chemistry, with the larger TE sized body types. Graham, Gates, Colston... not to imply he can't connect with anyone, but that's where he builds his chemistry and rhythm.

Probably because he's too short to see the little guys.

You get an A for reading comprehension.  What I am adding is, in addition to the meh receiver factor, it is altogether possible that Sanjay is also a no-talent, sucky WR coach.  It seems like Hill has not only failed to progress, but has actually gotten progressively worse the more Sanjay coaches him up. Plus, I like to broaden my bashing to include everyone involved or within arms reach.

You get an A for reading comprehension.  What I am adding is, in addition to the meh receiver factor, it is altogether possible that Sanjay is also a no-talent, sucky WR coach.  It seems like Hill has not only failed to progress, but has actually gotten progressively worse the more Sanjay coaches him up. Plus, I like to broaden my bashing to include everyone involved within arms reach.

This is the same thing people did with Sanchez.  Player sucks, blame the coaches.  And not just one coach, MULTIPLE coaches.  Sometimes a guy is a bust.  It happens.  We're not the only team that drafts busts.  We just happen to draft them a little more often than the average teams and they are more painful because they happen to be at spots on the field where the rest of the league is most visibly exploding (namely QB, WR and TE....and perhaps in the pass-rushing dept too).

Saints are a poor example, given the presence of Drew Brees. The Jets have been pretty bad at QB for Lal's entire tenure, and it's also fair to say that the Jets haven't exactly prioritized the WR position in the draft. I think the only fair grade you can give the guy is an incomplete.

This is the same thing people did with Sanchez.  Player sucks, blame the coaches.  And not just one coach, MULTIPLE coaches.  Sometimes a guy is a bust.  It happens.  We're not the only team that drafts busts.  We just happen to draft them a little more often than the average teams and they are more painful because they happen to be at spots on the field where the rest of the league is most visibly exploding (namely QB, WR and TE....and perhaps in the pass-rushing dept too).

Then its on the position coach to help management expedite the bust player's exit plan.  I hear what you are saying about player ineptitude, but how does the coaching staff get a pass when they see that player suck daily yet stay on the same treadmill.  In Hill's case, I blame everybody up and down the line including the player and coaches.

Then its on the position coach to help management expedite the bust player's exit plan.  I hear what you are saying about player ineptitude, but how does the coaching staff get a pass when they see that player suck daily yet stay on the same treadmill.  In Hill's case, I blame everybody up and down the line including the player and coaches.

It's not up to the coaches to get a player cut.  It's up to them to try to do as much as they can with the kid, especially when he has Megatron-esque measurables.  We've been hoping the lightbulb goes on for him because we used a 2nd rounder on him and have yet to add a super obvious WR2 here.  His upside made him impossible to simply dump after 1-2 seasons, because if he ever did figure it out, he'd make a huge impact for us.  Far more than a Greg Salas or David Nelson ever could.

I blame Tannenbaum for burning the 2nd on him far more than the coaches who couldn't do much with a kid who has High School-level catching ability.

This is the same thing people did with Sanchez. Player sucks, blame the coaches. And not just one coach, MULTIPLE coaches. Sometimes a guy is a bust. It happens. We're not the only team that drafts busts. We just happen to draft them a little more often than the average teams and they are more painful because they happen to be at spots on the field where the rest of the league is most visibly exploding (namely QB, WR and TE....and perhaps in the pass-rushing dept too).

Sanchez seems to be doing alright over in Philly, no?

That's exactly what I was saying. I don't think there is sufficient evidence to indict Lal.

I  wasn't indicting him, I was asking if there was more to it than us sucking at drafting wideouts. Again, I may be short on proof being that we've really only had one big bust but I can't really see jalen saunders doing much either. 

I  wasn't indicting him, I was asking if there was more to it than us sucking at drafting wideouts. Again, I may be short on proof being that we've really only had one big bust but I can't really see jalen saunders doing much either. 

Right, and that can't be Sanjay Lal's fault. Partially, maybe, who knows. But the guy is tiny and was drafted in round four. I know Kerry Rhodes, Leon Washington etc. but still not much can be expected of these guys.

It's not up to the coaches to get a player cut.  It's up to them to try to do as much as they can with the kid, especially when he has Megatron-esque measurables.  We've been hoping the lightbulb goes on for him because we used a 2nd rounder on him and have yet to add a super obvious WR2 here.  His upside made him impossible to simply dump after 1-2 seasons, because if he ever did figure it out, he'd make a huge impact for us.  Far more than a Greg Salas or David Nelson ever could.

I blame Tannenbaum for burning the 2nd on him far more than the coaches who couldn't do much with a kid who has High School-level catching ability.

Not a 2nd. A 2nd and a 5th and a 7th.

You get an A for reading comprehension.  What I am adding is, in addition to the meh receiver factor, it is altogether possible that Sanjay is also a no-talent, sucky WR coach.  It seems like Hill has not only failed to progress, but has actually gotten progressively worse the more Sanjay coaches him up. Plus, I like to broaden my bashing to include everyone involved or within arms reach.

My reading comprehension skills say you are both saying the same thing.

Archived