Ryan to Blame For Jets Discipline Problem in Green Bay--Steve Politi column

T0mShane

Yeah.  I really miss that "aw shucks, thank you sir, may I have another" mentality. That really works in the NFL.

as in all things there must be balance. i disagree with the posters saying rex needs to drastically change. rex is rex. if you change him you are very possibly inadvertantly eliminating his best traits at the same time. rex either needs to be accepted for what he is or a change has to be made. after 6 years those wishing for a eureka moment where he becomes their version of the perfect coach are going to be disappointed. yes i would like to see more discipline, less coaches doing stupid sh*t, less locker room garbage, etc. but have to be careful what you wish for. jets/woody have a history of over-reacting. herm too much a players coach so bring in hardass mangini. magini too hardass so bring in lovable uncle rex. if rex is let go, history indicates we are more likely to get a mangini type coach than the next sean payton. just my 2 cents. basically this is the reason i have warmed up to rex recently.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New England is second in the league with 12 penalties per game so far this year. Belichick has completely lost control of his team!!! 

You know what? I could come up with a list like this for literally EVERY team in the NFL. 

The Pats are not a Circus.

You never know what the Jets are going to do for their next trick.

New England is second in the league with 12 penalties per game so far this year. Belichick has completely lost control of his team!!! 

You know what? I could come up with a list like this for literally EVERY team in the NFL. 

In 2012 the Raven's led the NFL in penalties the same year they won the bowl.. Harbaugh lost control of that team too.. :winking0001:  

How cute.  The egomaniacs have formed a little alliance where they're all trying to one up each other decrying all the contributions Rex has made to this god forsaken franchise.

Losing a game that every single one of them said we'd lose is somehow proof that Rex is the worst coach in professional sports.

I say hate on haters..  It's the type of stupidity you bring to the table that fuels my beloved Jets.

You make JIF seem funny.

The Pats are not a Circus.

You never know what the Jets are going to do for their next trick.

Oh, they both have their blemishes.

The Jets are a comedy of errors... a circus, so to speak.

The Patriots are a corrupt amalgamation of everything wrong with professional sports. Cheating, cover-ups, murder, drugs, disloyalty, infidelity, nose picking, smugness, bandwagoning, and worst of all butchering the English language.

This thread is glorious, but my favorite part is when Ape rattled Klacko so much that Klacko started arguing that Rex wanted Drew Stanton and that would have changed everything.

Klecko was furious at the end of the game. But not because the Jets lost, but how they lost. So he vented his fury at people like you, innocent Tom Shane who only speaks the truth of his beloved hero. He goes to sleep every night with a picture of Rex under his pillow.

Our fanbase wasn't living over the number of penalties in a win on opening day?

Where is this alleged lack of accountability?

there was probably a lack of organization (or communication) here, but I do not see it as alack of discipline. Sheldon should have been advised before this that he is not a coach and should not call timeouts. But I do not think it is a lack of DISCIPLINE. Besides, the real problem was sitting on one's hands and allowing a team 18 points down to lap you.

Brilliant observation.

I hate to be realistic, but we've just embarked on an 0-6 run and by the time Halloween comes around the wheels are going to be off this bus in a big way. He'll have to finish 7-2 just to get to .500 we'll see how the team responds this year vs. how they did last year. The minute they quit, it's bye-bye Rex, have fun at Atlantis.

SAR I

The beginning of the end will be when Rex lashes out at Idzk for not stocking the CB shelves.

The Bears game could be really ugly pass defense wise for the Jets.

Discipline, which is the topic of discussion, is the responsibility of the head coach.

This is just a terrible post.

Pats are averaging 12 penalties a game. Does video bill have a discipline issue?

One play, a couple of games is a poor indicator.

Worse post, just fits a predetermined agenda

Pats are averaging 12 penalties a game. Does video bill have a discipline issue?

One play, a couple of games is a poor indicator.

Worse post, just fits a predetermined agenda

Penalties are not the be-all, end-all indicator of discipline. This has been discussed.

Excuse making and referencing irrelevant examples from other teams is also agenda.

Penalties are not the be-all, end-all indicator of discipline. This has been discussed.

Excuse making and referencing irrelevant examples from other teams is also agenda.

No, your theory and opinion has been beaten to death.

Penalties are a big part of discipline. It's wrong to argue it's irrelevant. Or worse.

No, your theory and opinion has been beaten to death.

Penalties are a big part of discipline. It's wrong to argue it's irrelevant. Or worse.

Pointing at the Patriots and saying "they have X amount of penalties, do they have a discipline problem" is irrelevant.

Rex's team gets penalties for things like 12 men on the field, regularly. That is an example of a penalty tied to lack of order, awareness and discipline. They get penalties for fighting. Discipline. 

The Patriots might be racking up penalties because Bill would rather his corners hold and risk being caught, than give WRs a free release. Who knows. Context is important. This is why just looking up how many they have is irrelevant. I'm reacting to what happens on the field for the Jets.

Pointing at the Patriots and saying "they have X amount of penalties, do they have a discipline problem" is irrelevant.

Rex's team gets penalties for things like 12 men on the field, regularly. That is an example of a penalty tied to lack of order, awareness and discipline. They get penalties for fighting. Discipline. 

The Patriots might be racking up penalties because Bill would rather his corners hold and risk being caught, than give WRs a free release. Who knows. Context is important. This is why just looking up how many they have is irrelevant. I'm reacting to what happens on the field for the Jets.

Math vs. the Eye Test

Does roughing the passer indicate lack of order, awareness and discipline?  They had four.  Multiple false starts - a couple coming on kickoffs and free kicks? 

Math vs. the Eye Test

Does roughing the passer indicate lack of order, awareness and discipline?  They had four.  Multiple false starts - a couple coming on kickoffs and free kicks? 

Not quite as simple as that, though that would sure make it easier for people to talk about. Wait, people don't want to talk about it, they just want to pick a side and dig in their heels.

Listen. To complain that Rex has a history of fielding an undisciplined team, is not to say that no other team in the league has disciplinary problems. It is, however, to say that the Jets, the team I root for and care enough about to whine about, has disciplinary problem that extend beyond just drawing penalties. It has been an issue for this team for the entire time Rex has been here, and admittedly, there are times the team thrives because of it, but more often than not, there are times the team fails because of it.

I don't think it is damning or earth shattering to want to talk about it, or to bitch about it and hope for some course-correction. The problem here, as I've alluded to in my first sentence, is people get scared by conversations that go that way. Everything has to be split in 2, pick a side and argue it. I'm fine with that, I expect it, but don't think for a second the way people, you included perhaps in this instance, need to simplify things until they can be compartmentalized into arguable "points" make it untrue that the Jets are lacking in discipline. Might I overstate it out of frustration? Sure, but it doesn't make it untrue.

Not quite as simple as that, though that would sure make it easier for people to talk about. Wait, people don't want to talk about it, they just want to pick a side and dig in their heels.

Listen. To complain that Rex has a history of fielding an undisciplined team, is not to say that no other team in the league has disciplinary problems. It is, however, to say that the Jets, the team I root for and care enough about to whine about, has disciplinary problem that extend beyond just drawing penalties. It has been an issue for this team for the entire time Rex has been here, and admittedly, there are times the team thrives because of it, but more often than not, there are times the team fails because of it.

I don't think it is damning or earth shattering to want to talk about it, or to bitch about it and hope for some course-correction. The problem here, as I've alluded to in my first sentence, is people get scared by conversations that go that way. Everything has to be split in 2, pick a side and argue it. I'm fine with that, I expect it, but don't think for a second the way people, you included perhaps in this instance, need to simplify things until they can be compartmentalized into arguable "points" make it untrue that the Jets are lacking in discipline. Might I overstate it out of frustration? Sure, but it doesn't make it untrue.

Except the things people complain about have not been a systemic problem under Rex.  You are using the eye test.  The eye test as adminstered by a bunch of people that hate the guy, including yourself.  The same with his challenges.  Rex is famous around here for being terrible with his challenges, but I believe he is much better than league average.  It is a young team.  Young teams do stupid things.  Big shock. 

What discipline problem? 

After days of analysis over timeouts, penalties for having too many men on the field andMuhammad Wilkerson's ejection for throwing a punch, the New York Jets have been criticized for not being more buttoned-up during the game. 

So, does Jets coach Rex Ryan think his team is undisciplined? 

“No, not at all,” Ryan said. “Has it been perfect? Absolutely not. And that’s the thing that we talk about, trying to get better and maybe there’s other areas that we can get better at, clearly we’re going to go for it. We’re trying to become an outstanding football team. But to say this team’s undisciplined, you [can] put anything you want, I don’t believe that.” 

Ryan was again asked about the timeout, initiated by Marty Mornhinweg and enforced by defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson. Mornhinweg said it was hard to get Ryan’s attention because the coach was on the defensive channel on the team’s headset, not the offensive channel. 

“It’s easy to say, ‘Well, I should always be on [the offensive headset],’ but I know just like any coach that calls defense or something like that, that’s not always going to happen,” Ryan said. “That’s not always the case. This isn’t the first time the offense has wanted a timeout that I’ve called or was there to, okay, I go in and make the call.”

Except the things people complain about have not been a systemic problem under Rex.  You are using the eye test.  The eye test as adminstered by a bunch of people that hate the guy, including yourself.  The same with his challenges.  Rex is famous around here for being terrible with his challenges, but I believe he is much better than league average.  It is a young team.  Young teams do stupid things.  Big shock. 

I don't hate Rex. I've said this a million times. I'm rooting for him to succeed, I'm just intelligent enough to know you can root for success while still complaining about what you don't like, don't agree with or don't want to tolerate about the way he does his job.

The whole "you complain about Rex, therefore you hate him" fallacy is for the dim witted who, as I said already, need their arguments compartmentalized so that they can latch onto either "black" or "white" in an argument. 

Also, it wasn't a "young team" when Rex took it over, and I was making the same complaints then. So yeah... 

What discipline problem? 

After days of analysis over timeouts, penalties for having too many men on the field andMuhammad Wilkerson's ejection for throwing a punch, the New York Jets have been criticized for not being more buttoned-up during the game. 

So, does Jets coach Rex Ryan think his team is undisciplined? 

“No, not at all,” Ryan said. “Has it been perfect? Absolutely not. And that’s the thing that we talk about, trying to get better and maybe there’s other areas that we can get better at, clearly we’re going to go for it. We’re trying to become an outstanding football team. But to say this team’s undisciplined, you [can] put anything you want, I don’t believe that.” 

Ryan was again asked about the timeout, initiated by Marty Mornhinweg and enforced by defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson. Mornhinweg said it was hard to get Ryan’s attention because the coach was on the defensive channel on the team’s headset, not the offensive channel. 

“It’s easy to say, ‘Well, I should always be on [the offensive headset],’ but I know just like any coach that calls defense or something like that, that’s not always going to happen,” Ryan said. “That’s not always the case. This isn’t the first time the offense has wanted a timeout that I’ve called or was there to, okay, I go in and make the call.”

Oh, well that settles everything. 

LOL

I don't hate Rex. I've said this a million times. I'm rooting for him to succeed, I'm just intelligent enough to know you can root for success while still complaining about what you don't like, don't agree with or don't want to tolerate about the way he does his job.

The whole "you complain about Rex, therefore you hate him" fallacy is for the dim witted who, as I said already, need their arguments compartmentalized so that they can latch onto either "black" or "white" in an argument. 

Also, it wasn't a "young team" when Rex took it over, and I was making the same complaints then. So yeah... 

Dude, we have a search feature.  Use it and read your own posts.  Lord knows I do not have it in me to read them a second time. 

Archived