Ryan to Blame For Jets Discipline Problem in Green Bay--Steve Politi column

T0mShane

Cannizzaro takes the deep dive, too

Sideline mess shows Rex Ryan isn’t in control of Jets

September 16, 2014 | 12:26am

Rex Ryan, who has cut his teeth on defense since he came out of the womb, is one of the best game-day defensive strategists the NFL has ever known. That was the case when he was a defensive coordinator in Baltimore and it remains the case in his role as the head coach of the Jets.

Ryan always has been a master at creating chaos for opposing offenses with his creative defensive strategy and unique use of personnel.

The Jets’ wild and disappointing 31-24 loss to the Packers on Sunday at Lambeau Field, though, exposed Ryan as having too much chaos on his own sideline.

The lasting image from the game was the now-infamous timeout called from the sideline — by defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson unwittingly through offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg with no Ryan input whatsoever — that negated a potential game-tying touchdown pass from Geno Smith to Jeremy Kerley on fourth down with five minutes remaining.

The most important part of that last sentence was the “no Ryan input’’ part.

This has to change if the Jets are going to beat heavily favored opponents on the road like the Packers and become the elite team they think they can be. Ryan needs to tighten up the discipline on his ship.

This is not to say the inmates are running the asylum. This is not Ray Handley or Rich Kotite coaching a bunch of grown men who have little regard for their own head coach. The Jets listen to Ryan and they believe in him.

He simply needs to create more discipline on his own sideline.

Richardson was trying to do the right thing. He thought Mornhinweg was trying desperately to get the attention of the official on the sideline and, because Richardson was much closer to the official, he called the timeout just about the time Smith was taking the snap to throw the game-tying touchdown.

No player on the sideline should ever be calling a timeout. This is where Ryan’s system failed and can be bettered by him making it clear to his players that under no circumstance are they to call a timeout from the sideline.

“If you’re worth a darn as a coach, you look at yourself first,’’ Ryan said Monday.

Hopefully, Ryan will look at being more forceful about what can and cannot take place on his sideline during games. Down 31-24, the Jets had a crucial interception by linebacker David Harris on the second-to-last play of the third quarter nullified because they were called for having 12 men on the field, with defensive tackle Damon Harrison late getting back to the sideline.

David Nelson’s description of Ryan after the game when he spoke to his players sounded as if Ryan was shell-shocked at the loss and at an uncharacteristic loss for words.

“Honestly, I think it was him trying to process it all,’’ Nelson told The Post on Monday. “There were a lot of guys looking around the room wondering, ‘What happened?’ There was just a lot that happened that he was trying to process — the timeout, the 12 players on the field, the [Packers] driving the field 97 yards before the half, the offense completely self-imploding in the second half.

“There was just so much that he couldn’t put his finger on one thing to say to us, ‘If we had just done this better … ’ ’’

This is not the first time calamity has infiltrated the Jets sideline during a game under Ryan’s watch.

In 2010, the infamous Sal Alosi tripping incident marred a game between the Jets and Dolphins. Alosi, then the Jets’ strength and conditioning coach, tripped Miami gunner Nolan Carroll during a punt return and it came out that Alosi had ordered players to stand close to the field during opponents’ returns to impede opponents.

Last season, Ryan’s defensive line coach, Karl Dunbar, was flagged for arguing with an official on the sideline, complaining that one of the Jets players had been blocked illegally.

And now this.

“Maybe that’s one of those things you learn from,’’ Ryan said. “It’s just a heat-of-the-moment type deal that got called. There are times the people are yelling all the time. That’s not the first time I heard someone yelling ‘Timeout’ from the sideline. That happens more than you think.’’

If Ryan is worth a darn as a head coach, it’ll never happen again.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's the Brett Favre of NFL head coaches, the Ladanian Tomlinson, the Braylon Edwards, the Plaxico Burress, the Michael Vick.

He's the guy that Jets fans can get marginally excited about, will sell some tickets, but will never be the guy to get us to the promised land.  Rex has his schtick down to a tee though, have to give him that.  So long as he puts on this persona of "tough talking no respect blue collar homegrown Jets fan from Flushing" enough Jets fans will continue to support him even though the wool is being pulled very tightly over their eyes.

SAR I

That is the pre-game schtick.

The post-loss schtick is to look like a beatne, battered, shell of a man... so that empathy replaces scorn.

from an outsider, I think this is the wrong approach to have. Rex Ryan should not lose his job because of last Sunday's game BUT have his job in questioned for the last six year, yes. Plus when you are a head coach. It shouldn't take you that long to establish a well discipline culture with your staff and team, so the time out incident does fall on him as well. 

like Parcell says, "only bad things happen to bad teams", yeah plenty of other teams get penalize but it doesn't cost them games. Bad teams get penalized and find ways to lose games. (not saying the Jets are bad)

What helps me sleep at night is this: Rex Ryan is already gone.

If it weren't for the rebuild and the last-picked-for-dodge-ball GM, Rex would have been fired and calling WWF matches in 2013. He's here because he placates the slow-minded Jet fan into thinking everything is okay.

He's on a one-year deal. The players love him. The moment we get good, he's gone. It's going to be beautiful, too. He'll get us to 9-7 one of these years on a series of Week 17 miracles, win a wildcard game, boom, get fired in March, in comes the blue-chip HC candidate that Woody can drown in money and who actually knows what he's doing.

SAR I

He's the Brett Favre of NFL head coaches, the Ladanian Tomlinson, the Braylon Edwards, the Plaxico Burress, the Michael Vick.

He's the guy that Jets fans can get marginally excited about, will sell some tickets, but will never be the guy to get us to the promised land. Rex has his schtick down to a tee though, have to give him that. So long as he puts on this persona of "tough talking no respect blue collar homegrown Jets fan from Flushing" enough Jets fans will continue to support him even though the wool is being pulled very tightly over their eyes.

SAR I

It honestly confuses the sh*t out of me to see people that I normally deem reasonable continue to give a Ryan the benefit of the doubt. All I can assume is that they had a difficult relationship with their own fathers and Rex serves as some retroactive surrogate for them.

That is the pre-game schtick.

The post-loss schtick is to look like a beatne, battered, shell of a man... so that empathy replaces scorn.

Brilliant observation.

I hate to be realistic, but we've just embarked on an 0-6 run and by the time Halloween comes around the wheels are going to be off this bus in a big way. He'll have to finish 7-2 just to get to .500 we'll see how the team responds this year vs. how they did last year. The minute they quit, it's bye-bye Rex, have fun at Atlantis.

SAR I

It honestly confuses the sh*t out of me to see people that I normally deem reasonable continue to give a Ryan the benefit of the doubt. All I can assume is that they had a difficult relationship with their own fathers and Rex serves as some retroactive surrogate for them.

Same here.

Can't tell you how many friends and family come up to me every July, ask me about what I think about the Jets chances, and the moment I say we'll go nowhere because of Rex Ryan they look at me like I have two heads. The perception and the reality two very different things. Rex Ryan is the white Herman Edwards. Too many punchy sound bytes, too few punchy performances.

SAR I

Was just going to post this--when all the beat hacks are writing the same story, it's because it was planted.

Planted? LOL

It was low-hanging fruit for them.

It's a simple formula of "5 years of discipline problems" + "most recent disciplinary collapse" = uniform criticism.

To be followed 2 years later by the  (Insert new coaches name here) sucks! wankathon  

Oh that's going to be the best party yet.  It will be hosted by T0mShane and Dbates in their "bachelor pad" and RJF will be bringing the dip.

Its going to be sexy.  Really sexy. 

He's the guy that Jets fans can get marginally excited about, will sell some tickets, but will never be the guy to get us to the promised land.  

even if that were true, no "promised land" coach is going to show up 5 minutes after they fire Rex.  Whoever they get will be an Idzik selection and probably a first time HC.

let's be real this is a garbage job. Not original NFL franchise, incredibly difficult media market, endless hot seat, the little brother syndrome to the Giants  (with whom, they share a stadium), not much talent on the roster, and an owner who apparently forgot where his checkbook is located.  What savior would take this job? 

We are actually lucky that Rex had some ties to the franchise and wants to be here. Most of the best ball coaches are southern and don't want to coach a team in New York City a.k.a. sodom.  the guys IDzik would bring in, no one has ever heard of. 

this isn't just about undisciplined players--the jets coaches are undisicplined too--marty calling timeouts, alosi tripping players, dunbar fighting with the refs... who exactly is in charge here? it all starts from the "hit em in the mouth and don't take no sh*t" mentality from the top. sounds good on paper or in sports movies but that crap doesn't work in real life.

This thread has now devolved into an Ape/TomShane/Sar/PatsFanTX circlejerk. 

You should have represented your side better. You have only yourself to blame, and JIF. You can always blame JIF. That dude can't even convince himself to be in denial.

New England is second in the league with 12 penalties per game so far this year. Belichick has completely lost control of his team!!! 

You know what? I could come up with a list like this for literally EVERY team in the NFL. 

Can you recall Bellicheat ever having that happen? 

even if that were true, no "promised land" coach is going to show up 5 minutes after they fire Rex.  Whoever they get will be an Idzik selection and probably a first time HC.

let's be real this is a garbage job. Not original NFL franchise, incredibly difficult media market, endless hot seat, the little brother syndrome to the Giants  (with whom, they share a stadium), not much talent on the roster, and an owner who apparently forgot where his checkbook is located.  What savior would take this job? 

We are actually lucky that Rex had some ties to the franchise and wants to be here. Most of the best ball coaches are southern and don't want to coach a team in New York City a.k.a. sodom.  the guys IDzik would bring in, no one has ever heard of. 

Agree to the point that if you can Ryan you better have a no brainer candidate who will take the job. Not sure your Southern thing is as true as it used to be.Doug Marrone  and Chuck Pagano, 2 of the most recent NFL hirs,are not good old boys. Alot of the others-Arians, Fisher, Wisenhunt, Lovie Smith-are retreads. 

How cute.  The egomaniacs have formed a little alliance where they're all trying to one up each other decrying all the contributions Rex has made to this god forsaken franchise.

Losing a game that every single one of them said we'd lose is somehow proof that Rex is the worst coach in professional sports.

I say hate on haters..  It's the type of stupidity you bring to the table that fuels my beloved Jets.

this isn't just about undisciplined players--the jets coaches are undisicplined too--marty calling timeouts, alosi tripping players, dunbar fighting with the refs... who exactly is in charge here? it all starts from the "hit em in the mouth and don't take no sh*t" mentality from the top. sounds good on paper or in sports movies but that crap doesn't work in real life.

Yeah.  I really miss that "aw shucks, thank you sir, may I have another" mentality. That really works in the NFL.

I would like to nominate integrated28 as my favorite poster of the year. Lol bitch slapping those two lovers klecko and Jif in this thread. Awesome!!

You deserve each other. 

Archived