Is Rex still running these exotic blitzes out of need or is he justifying his own existence?

Matt39

Polian was on NFL radio this morning and he was making some interesting points regarding differing philosophies in the league on how to play defense.

He said some teams just prefer lining up and letting their dline pressure the QB and have their secondary play in the same spot every snap. Not a lot of movement and it allows guys to become comfortable in their roles. You'd be conceding yards but be more likely to generate turnovers and big plays via interceptions.

He then went on to say how complex the Ryan defenses are, how they change from week to week and how rare it is to have guys in the secondary line up and play the same role. It's basically what got Rob fired in Dallas because it exhausted guys.

Now with he Jets strongest unit being the defensive line why are we still over complicating things. We can't create an interception to save our life... We all know Rex knows defense insid and out but is it really that necessary to be still running these crazy schemes with our personnel? Shouldn't we be letting our dline earn heir keep?

Just a thought.

Polian was on NFL radio this morning and he was making some interesting points regarding differing philosophies in the league on how to play defense.

He said some teams just prefer lining up and letting their dline pressure the QB and have their secondary play in the same spot every snap. Not a lot of movement and it allows guys to become comfortable in their roles. You'd be conceding yards but be more likely to generate turnovers and big plays via interceptions.

He then went on to say how complex the Ryan defenses are, how they change from week to week and how rare it is to have guys in the secondary line up and play the same role. It's basically what got Rob fired in Dallas because it exhausted guys.

Now with he Jets strongest unit being the defensive line why are we still over complicating things. We can't create an interception to save our life... We all know Rex knows defense insid and out but is it really that necessary to be still running these crazy schemes with our personnel? Shouldn't we be letting our dline earn heir keep?

Just a thought.

What bothers be about it is he dials up these blitzes and matt forte settles underneath and gets comfortable and he doesn't adjust to it. It should have taken once, maybe twice to come up with an adjustment, but he didn't. 

Suddenly everyone has a theory in the media because the JETS are 1-2.

Jerry Jones admitted that firing Rob Ryan was a mistake.

I think twice in this season i have seen JETS DB miss a surefire interception. One from Pryor in the first game and one from Antonio Allen in the last game. These were surefire interceptions. They were boneheaded drops for any athlete with hands. Maybe in Allens case it may have helped us even win the game. If those interceptions are made this theory falls apart.

Ed Reed was able to get so many turnovers in Rex Ryan coached defensive schemes.

What bothers be about it is he dials up these blitzes and matt forte settles underneath and gets comfortable and he doesn't adjust to it. It should have taken once, maybe twice to come up with an adjustment, but he didn't.

We've got 5 years if a Rex defense. We know his defenses work and tend to force quick passes that result in incompletions into the dirt. We force plenty of punts...anyone maybe consider we should have gotten a good PR? If were not going to value forcing turnovers then we need to find yards somewhere.

Starting every single possession off of a punt or a kickoff is tough for a young QB. We rarely give him a short field. Rex is so wrapped up in his defense I doubt he even considers this stuff.

Suddenly everyone has a theory in the media because the JETS are 1-2.

Jerry Jones admitted that firing Rob Ryan was a mistake.

I think twice in this season i have seen JETS DB miss a surefire interception. One from Pryor in the first game and one from Antonio Allen in the last game. These were surefire interceptions. They were boneheaded drops for any athlete with hands. Maybe in Allens case it may have helped us even win the game. If those interceptions are made this theory falls apart.

Ed Reed was able to get so many turnovers in Rex Ryan coached defensive schemes.

Ed Reed is an all timer and Allen's drop was off of a deflected pass/rush.

If you hire June Jones, you're hiring the Run and Shoot. If you hire Rex, you're hiriing the blitz. The issue with it is that he's not able to mix and match as much at the ends of halves and games, so the whole defense gets exposed repeatedly in big spots when teams go to the hurry-up.

We've got 5 years if a Rex defense. We know his defenses work and tend to force quick passes that result in incompletions into the dirt. We force plenty of punts...anyone maybe consider we should have gotten a good PR? If were not going to value forcing turnovers then we need to find yards somewhere.

Starting every single possession off of a punt or a kickoff is tough for a young QB. We rarely give him a short field. Rex is so wrapped up in his defense I doubt he even considers this stuff.

Poor, poor Geno... our defense makes the other team punt to us too often! Poor, poor Geno... blame it on Rex. 

Realize our defense gave up only 20 points to the Bears, should have scored 7 on a fumble recovery if the refs hold their damned whistle, and who knows what happens if they don't call that bogus PI against us on the first Bears passing TD.

Basically, even if you give the Bears that PI, if that game is officiated correctly re: the fumble then the defense gave up a net of 13 points to a high powered offense. Poor Geno, indeed!

Allen's was a very easy catch. He himself said so.

I know it was he obviously needs to catch that...but the only reason we were in position for an interception was because the ball was deflected off of the throw. It wasn't because of good coverage.

We've got the athletes in the secondary...Reed could digest whatever Rex gave him because Ed Reed's going to the Hall of Fame. Let Allen and Pryor become comfortable in their roles...

And the ghost of 24 who appeared in the game had no idea what he was doing. Rex's defense is a lot for these kids to digest. Just think we may be better off going a little more vanilla. We need turnovers.

Poor, poor Geno... our defense makes the other team punt to us too often! Poor, poor Geno... blame it on Rex. 

This isnt a Geno sympathy thread. Just pointing out its extremely difficult to win in this league if you cant force mistakes and create short fields. Payton's already had enough of Rob down in New Orleans. Another team with zero interceptions.

If you hire June Jones, you're hiring the Run and Shoot. If you hire Rex, you're hiriing the blitz. The issue with it is that he's not able to mix and match as much at the ends of halves and games, so the whole defense gets exposed repeatedly in big spots when teams go to the hurry-up.

Yeah the end of half/end of game breakdowns are because we're confused...including the staff. The hurry up kills us because we cant just line up and play. Rex want's it to be about his scheme.

I love when guys In Jet nation know how to coach football better than the people at the highest level. He's been doing it for years. Worked his way up. Nahhhh doesn't matter. People on jet nation forum know it better obviously. Got it all figured out.

Merely pointing out what a guy with multiple Super Bowl appearances said. There's a difference in opinion league wide on how to operate a defense...this idea isn;t coming from me.

This isnt a Geno sympathy thread. Just pointing out its extremely difficult to win in this league if you cant force mistakes and create short fields. Payton's already had enough of Rob down in New Orleans. Another team with zero interceptions.

Hey man, sorry for the sarcasm. I actually agree with you. Can't win with negative turnover ratio each week.

Just sayin, this particular game, the defense was pretty damn good.

Hey man, sorry for the sarcasm. I actually agree with you. Can't win with negative turnover ratio each week.

Just sayin, this particular game, the defense was pretty damn good.

I agree the defense was good. The defense is always good...just in context with the entire team there's an obvious disconnect...and it points towards the head coach imo. If were a defense that prides itself on 3 and outs...then get a punt returner in here worth a damn. Not a 160lb rookie...especially with the cap space we had and Hester on the market.

This. As a coach, Rex is static. That's a guy meant to be a coordinator, not a head coach.

Rob doesn't have anything like the record Rex has a defensive coach. 

Rex's Defence has been fine this season and have been excellent over the course of his career. The blitzes have actually worked plenty. It's just when you live and die by it people will only remember the floated ball across the middle on 3rd down and not the countless drives where it's been successful. With that secondary in particular, pressure is absolutely paramount.

I wonder if this thread would have been started had the potentially game changing fumble return stood. Which came from a linebacker sack in an all out blitz at the end of the half which he's apparently so bad at closing out. 

1) polian lost his job because his back up QB was curtis painter so eff him

2) rex's philosophy is to create confusion in the pass protection by moving guys around so the o-line doesn't know who they're supposed to block and combining that with a huge variety of coverages on the back end.  that's his thing.  more than blitzing, that is his thing.  he is very misunderstood around here

3) are you going stoic on us ?

fort a guy you are obsessed with, you should learn more about him

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/07/team-blitzing/

I know it was he obviously needs to catch that...but the only reason we were in position for an interception was because the ball was deflected off of the throw. It wasn't because of good coverage.

We've got the athletes in the secondary...Reed could digest whatever Rex gave him because Ed Reed's going to the Hall of Fame. Let Allen and Pryor become comfortable in their roles...

And the ghost of 24 who appeared in the game had no idea what he was doing. Rex's defense is a lot for these kids to digest. Just think we may be better off going a little more vanilla. We need turnovers.

At this level Allen catch and even the Pryor catch have to be made. No excuses.

But i do agree it might not be an easy system to digest for new guys like Adams #24 who came onto the team after the final cuts or should we say mini-draft.

Having said that they are not going to change the system for one guy. Walls and Allen have actually looked better with each game. The penalty on Walls was a bad call. I do expect it Rex ways to continue.

Adams blew the coverage because he didn't know if he was taking the inside or outside receiver on a simple crossing pattern, that's not an overly complicated defensive game-plan, that's him just not being prepared. 

As for the turnovers, we just weren't in position to force many last year as we almost never had a lead. It's pretty easy for the opposing team to make quick, high-percentage throws when they have a one or two score lead on you.  He's put the players in positions to make the plays this year, they just haven't capitalized.  

Somewhere between the DL getting worn out form being on the field so much and offenses starting to recognize what they're facing, Ryan's defense gets way less effective later in games and halves. And a major part of that is Jets' offense that doesn't stay on the field for long scoring drives, too often settles for field goals even when it gets down inside the 20 and turs the ball over, often catastrophically, 2 times every game. Which is a long way of saying the defense is pretty good most of the time, the offense is the problem.

rex's philosophy is to create confusion in the pass protection by moving guys around so the o-line doesn't know who they're supposed to block and combining that with a huge variety of coverages on the back end.  that's his thing.  more than blitzing, that is his thing.  he is very misunderstood around here

Beautiful post and absolutely accurate. Yes, in his first few years he had a tendency to send jail break blitzes. Now his tendency seems to be creating one on one match ups for his big guys up front. I can only count a handful of times this year that he's sent more than five guys. Hell, I remember an interview with him from 2012 that said that hardly ever play Cover 0 anymore. 

What happened Monday night was not the byproduct of poor defensive play. Rex's d held one of the best offenses in the league to 257 yards. Even the week before against Green Bay, the Jets were on their way to limiting the Pack to only 9 first half points. Taking into consideration the massive amount of youth they have, the D is definitely trending up.

Somewhere between the DL getting worn out form being on the field so much and offenses starting to recognize what they're facing, Ryan's defense gets way less effective later in games and halves. And a major part of that is Jets' offense that doesn't stay on the field for long scoring drives, too often settles for field goals even when it gets down inside the 20 and turs the ball over, often catastrophically, 2 times every game. Which is a long way of saying the defense is pretty good most of the time, the offense is the problem.

I agree with you on two of three points.  The turnovers need to stop (we are 30-4 under Rex when we win the turnover battle -- but we have only won it 13 times in the 51 games since 2011) and red zone offense needs to improve.  We are not going to beat good teams with high powered offenses by kicking 4 FGs on 6 red zone trips.  

But time of possession has not been a problem so far this year -- we are 5th in the league in time of possession, so I am not buying the tired defense argument.  The defense is good, but when is the last time a Jet defense made a big play in the 4th quarter with the game on the line to win a game or preserve a win?

That last p

I agree with you on two of three points. The turnovers need to stop (we are 30-4 under Rex when we win the turnover battle -- but we have only won it 13 times in the 51 games since 2011) and red zone offense needs to improve. We are not going to beat good teams with high powered offenses by kicking 4 FGs on 6 red zone trips.

But time of possession has not been a problem so far this year -- we are 5th in the league in time of possession, so I am not buying the tired defense argument. The defense is good, but when is the last time a Jet defense made a big play in the 4th quarter with the game on the line to win a game or preserve a win?

That last point is a good one - it's the crack in the Ryan's defense. Ryan is into overall stats too much. Say what you want about the Bears defense they prevented 5 out of 6 touchdowns in the redzone - that's good defense - you can throw out the rest of the stats. You could make the argument that their defense allowed the Jets to get down there 6 times but they came through in crunch time.The Jets' defense is consistently inconsistent on 3rd downs and late 4th quarter.

I think there's plenty of truth to what you're saying, Matt. When you have the horses on defense, there's no need to get overly cute and complicated with scheme. The "Tampa 2" is the perfect example of this. Simple schemes work when you have guys like Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice, and Ronde Barber at your disposal. Making things overly complicated is counter-productive.

This defense isn't as talented as the Tampa D, but we have plenty of talent that I think we can line up and ball with anyone. Heck, that's how the Seahawks just won their first Super Bowl, by just lining up and playing.

I love when guys In Jet nation know how to coach football better than the people at the highest level. He's been doing it for years. Worked his way up. Nahhhh doesn't matter. People on jet nation forum know it better obviously. Got it all figured out.

Love when stooge pigeons don't take the time to read ten words into a sentence that states the above opinions were those of a Superbowl champion general manager.

Archived