Idzik Continues to Put Jets on Path to Irrelevancy

flgreen

John Idzik and NY Jets look spent as frugal GM continues to put Gang Green on path to irrelevancy 

The Jets are perilously close to plunging into irrelevance weeks before Halloween, thanks partly to Idzik’s poor personnel decisions, curious handling of the salary cap and lack of urgency during what was billed by owner Woody Johnson last spring as a win-now season.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, October 4, 2014, 2:00 PM 

Outside of using draft pick Jets received in Darrelle Revis deal on 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year Sheldon Richardson, John Idzik era has been marked by head-scratching decisions in fast-paced NFL world.

Outside of using draft pick Jets received in Darrelle Revis deal on 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year Sheldon Richardson, John Idzik era has been marked by head-scratching decisions in fast-paced NFL world.

John Idzik emerged from the Jets’ 19-day search for a general manager last year with plenty of questions surrounding him. His reputation as a rigid salary-cap manager preceded him, but there were justified concerns about a lack of scouting knowledge that have been exposed in the past 20 months.

The Jets are perilously close to plunging into irrelevance weeks before Halloween, thanks partly to Idzik’s poor personnel decisions, curious handling of the salary cap and lack of urgency during what was billed by owner Woody Johnson last spring as a win-now season.

From Idzik’s swings and misses in the draft to his frugal free-agency plan this offseason to a growing believability gap every time he speaks, a troubling picture is coming into focus.

Idzik works under rolling deadlines, apparently immune or oblivious to the realities of frustrated PSL owners doling out big money for a diminished product. The Jets have the sixth-highest average non-premium ticket price in the NFL ($105.66), 25% more than the league average ($84.43), according to teammarketingreport.com, yet the team has the lowest cash payroll ($95.2 million), according to spotrac.com.

Idzik has the second largest salary cap surplus in the league ($24.3 million, per NFLPA records), leaving many to wonder if he was ever fully invested in helping Rex Ryan make the playoffs in 2014.

Ryan reportedly told his players before a home game against the Browns last December that “word on the street” was that he might be getting fired. The Jets saved his job by rallying to win three of the four final games.

Idzik, of course, could have easily quashed rumors that he had reached out to head coaching candidates, but instead offered this telling response after the season: “I’m not going to comment on anything that we may or may not have discussed internally. That’s for us and for our ears only.”

Translation: You got me.

Idzik, who declined a Daily News request to be interviewed for this story, has made a litany of personnel gaffes in free agency and the draft that have only served to make Ryan’s job more difficult.

The GM’s modus operandi has been to dole out cheap contracts to second/third-tier-or-older players with diminishing skills, many of whom have burned the organization with off-the-field issues or lack of production. Idzik hasn’t been able to adjust to a fast-moving free-agent market or adequately replenish Ryan’s roster with 19 draft picks.

Idzik’s biggest achievement was drafting DL Sheldon Richardson, who came at the hefty price of trading away Pro Bowler Darrelle Revis. The Jets cut 2014 fourth-round pick Jalen Saunders, the second piece of that trade with the Buccaneers, this week.

Idzik made the smart choice to trade a 2013 fourth-round pick for RB Chris Ivory.

Those two moves, however, are outweighed by a string of miscues that has left Ryan with a pedestrian roster. Idzik’s choices reveal shortcomings in talent evaluation, character judgment and overall awareness of personnel needs within the team’s offensive and defensive schemes. These range from off-field incidents involving running back Mike Goodson and tight end Kellen Winslow to bargain-hunting misfires such as quarterback David Garrard, wide receivers Braylon Edwards and Ben Obomanu and cornerback Dimitri Patterson.

Idzik addressed the cavernous hole at WR this offseason by only signing Eric Decker, who has been hampered by a hamstring issue and is on pace for 56 receptions, 816 yards and eight touchdowns.

Emmanuel Sanders, who leads the NFL with 8.3 receptions per game, wanted to visit during free agency, but the meeting was pushed back because Idzik prioritized attending Texas Tech’s Pro Day.

Sanders never made it to Florham Park, signing with the Broncos.

Idzik whiffed on all three receivers in the draft. None (Saunders, Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa) remains on the 53-man roster. Practice squader Enunwa is dealing with an ongoing domestic violence matter.

Idzik’s most egregious offseason failing centered on his inability to sign a viable veteran cornerback. His lack of understanding of the market coupled with stubbornness cost the Jets at the most important position in Ryan’s defense.

After cutting Antonio Cromartie without making a concrete offer to bring him back at a reduced rate — he’s playing at a Pro-Bowl level after signing a 1-year, $3.5 million deal with the Cardinals — Idzik botched the free-agent cornerback situation in epic fashion.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we should've spent the cap space on mediocre free agents like Oakland and put the team in a constant 8-8 cycle.

Stay the course, we have someone finally doing the right thing and not caving to the NY media.

He doesn't get a total pass of course, our scouting department is a disaster.

I was concerned about his lack of experience or expertise in the personnel side of the business when he was hired, and those concerns have yet to dissipate. I like the way his deliberate manner worked for him in the Revis trade, but I feel like it's been a hinderance when signing free agents or (not) making draft day deals. Keeping all twelve of his picks and having so few stick can only be described as bumbling the draft.

I'm sure he's gonna be awesome at hiring Rex's replacement, though, so there's that.

Emmanuel Sanders, who leads the NFL with 8.3 receptions per game, wanted to visit during free agency, but the meeting was pushed back because Idzik prioritized attending Texas Tech’s Pro Day.

Sanders never made it to Florham Park, signing with the Broncos

LOL

sanders wanted to get an offer from the jets so he could get every dollar out of denver.  If he wanted to be here, he would be here.  (Idzik probably has a phone that gets e-mail.  I had one in 2002). sanders could have called idzik on a telephone if he wanted to negotiate an offer.  He could have even used a facsimile machine.  He could have sent a telegram or over-nighted a mimoegraph

more jerk off bullsh*t from the beat offs

Looking back at the available FA CB and WR, and the contracts they eventually got, I still do not fault Idzik for passing on those guys. Where he blew it was with Cro, who is not quite dead yet and is playing well.  Truthfully, the way he played last season I was convinced he was done.  Apparently not.

So we should've spent the cap space on mediocre free agents like Oakland and put the team in a constant 8-8 cycle.

Stay the course, we have someone finally doing the right thing and not caving to the NY media.

Could've signed James Jones and Antonio Cromartie and still left us more than $10M under the cap. Would have improved our two biggest weaknesses and also prevented the type of crap that is currently occurring with Decker, where they have to put him out on the field instead of letting him recover.

That's the point.   Idzik is running under a mantra of, "build thru the draft".  Great.  I agree.  Last season he fired the entire scouting department.

Under his watch he has had 19 draft picks.  12 this year.  What do the Jets have to show after all those draft picks?  This is Idzik's hand picked scouting department.

This was a honorific draft

That's the point. Idzik is running under a mantra of, "build thru the draft". Great. I agree. Last season he fired the entire scouting department.

Under his watch he has had 19 draft picks. 12 this year. What do the Jets have to show after all those draft picks? This is Idzik's hand picked scouting department.

This was a honorific draft

To be fair, Seattle has already cut five picks from last year. They keep turning the roster over until they find guys. It was disturbing to see Idzik draft multiple guys at receiver and hit on none though. That's not what I was expecting at all.

Sanders never made it to Florham Park, signing with the Broncos

LOL

sanders wanted to get an offer from the jets so he could get every dollar out of denver.  If he wanted to be here, he would be here.  (Idzik probably has a phone that gets e-mail.  I had one in 2002). sanders could have called idzik on a telephone if he wanted to negotiate an offer.  He could have even used a facsimile machine.  He could have sent a telegram or over-nighted a mimoegraph

more jerk off bullsh*t from the beat offs

Actually Idzik's job was to pursue Sanders....not the other way around. You man crush has been more bust than success as a GM so far.

If he whiffs again next draft and off season he should be dismissed.

Agree. The Idzik has a plan defenders from this off season are trying to save face.

Between the pointless picks, the throw away FA's signings...and a sloppily put together roster...idk what to think anymore. Last year I thought Idzik had his sh*t together...now he's just looking like a putz. 

It'd probably be in the teams best interest to address why they're 20mill under the cap to start. 

The Chris Johnson signing was the first sign of incompetence. Goodson I'll give him a mulligan on. But Johnson and obviously Patterson were just puzzling moves.

What are you talking about?  Johnson was one of the only good moves Idzik made in the off-season he's been effective so far or are 39yard touchdown runs not considered good anymore?

There's plenty of stuff to beat up Idzik about - Chris Johnson is not one of them.

What are you talking about?  Johnson was one of the only good moves Idzik made in the off-season he's been effective so far or are 39yard touchdown runs not considered good anymore?

There's plenty of stuff to beat up Idzik about - Chris Johnson is not one of them.

Malcontent player who isnt good anymore. We had a million picks and decide to use FA to pursue the one position were you shoudnt.

Archived