So has this been discussed?

Pac

one of the comments:

"I don't care which team won, but it seems extremely poor form to give the ref the option but not the requirement to tell a player that they will commit a penalty in a game deciding play. In the Colts-Texans game last week, a Colts player lined up over the snapper on the field goal; no ref told the Colts player that he was lined up illegally, and the ensuing penalty ended up allowing the Texans to score a TD. Refs need to either always tell players they are lined up incorrectly or never do it, but doing it sometimes and not others leads to an unfair and arbitrary game"

This is pretty common. Since my son was a long snapper I spend a crazy amount of time during the games watching everything involved long snapping wise. It is like a strange fetish of mine. They definitely don't want people lining up directly over the center for the reasons they discussed (player safety).

In high school it is worse, they don't even touch the long snapper. He used to be able to snap, run down the field and made the tackle on punt returns several times. It was fun to watch. He basically had a 30 yard head start on the punt returner, untouched.

From what I've read it's at the discretion of the ref.  Sometimes they do it and other times they don't.  If they always did it there wouldn't be the need for it to be a penalty.

It's just another kick to the nuts in what was truly sickening game.

This is pretty common. Since my son was a long snapper I spend a crazy amount of time during the games watching everything involved long snapping wise. It is like a strange fetish of mine. They definitely don't want people lining up directly over the center for the reasons they discussed (player safety).

In high school it is worse, they don't even touch the long snapper. He used to be able to snap, run down the field and made the tackle on punt returns several times. It was fun to watch. He basically had a 30 yard head start on the punt returner, untouched.

My son plays JV high school line, both ways, tackle/guard and DT/NT, hoping to move up to varsity by the end of the season. The center isn't hit before the snap, and the long snapper not at all. And the rule is complied with because your kid is in the same situation. With the concussion protocols no coach wants to be forced to work in another center or snapper. My not so little man is the backup center/snapper, but he hates it because the blocking is harder out of the crouch and if you screw up the snap you catch serious hell.Even when he lines up on the center understood you give the kid a chance if only for a split second to get out of his crouch, or you line up to his left or right.

one of the comments:

"I don't care which team won, but it seems extremely poor form to give the ref the option but not the requirement to tell a player that they will commit a penalty in a game deciding play. In the Colts-Texans game last week, a Colts player lined up over the snapper on the field goal; no ref told the Colts player that he was lined up illegally, and the ensuing penalty ended up allowing the Texans to score a TD. Refs need to either always tell players they are lined up incorrectly or never do it, but doing it sometimes and not others leads to an unfair and arbitrary game"

This. Either make it a requirement for the refs to move the player every time and just get rid of the rule, or let the player make the mistake and throw the flag.

The thread title alone takes you straight to the Mystery Zone of Pac's mind.  There is a lot of available real estate there. 

My therapist says when I have evil thoughts not to feel ashamed of them.  Examine them thoroughly then let them drift off into the ether.

That explains why you won't wind up with a black eye for your post.

From what I've read it's at the discretion of the ref.

It isn't. The league views lining up over the LS as a player safety issue, so this is a standard officiating mechanic. Blandino even reminded officials about it in his weekly video yesterday. Another reminder that world as it is and the world as you wish it to be could not possibly be more different.

It isn't. The league views lining up over the LS as a player safety issue, so this is a standard officiating mechanic. Blandino even reminded officials about it in his weekly video yesterday. Another reminder that world as it is and the world as you wish it to be could not possibly be more different.

have I mentioned to you what my therapist told me?

My therapist says when I have evil thoughts not to feel ashamed of them.  Examine them thoroughly then let them drift off into the ether.

That explains why you won't wind up with a black eye for your post.

Internet tough guys are soooo sexy -- so soft and easy to pound,  

Archived