It's Rex Ryan To the Rescue of John Idzik

flgreen

The fact that Idzik has even ONE supporter out there is just amazing to me.

- In 2 years he has destroyed our roster.

- His 2 drafts (outside of Sheldon Richardson) were failures on epic levels of awful.

- His hand picked QB was a complete disaster and his mantra of "open competition" was an absolute farce. 

- His "moves" to get us under the cap were only possible because the contracts that Tannenbaum gave out were written in a way that put Idzik in to a situation that made it possible to cut them. These weren't genius moves. Cutting Sanchez, Holmes, etc to create cap space - my 15 year old nephew would have done the exact same thing.

- The only reason that we have so much cap room now is because he set an unrealistic value on free agents in spite of their market value and played some dopey game of hardball that resulted in free agents laughing at him. Because of that, we fielded the worst defensive backfield in possibly the history of the NFL. He overpaid Eric Decker in a year that we had 12 draft picks in a draft that was maybe the deepest WR draft in history - and then wound up whiffing on 3 WR's. 

Then there is the clash of what Idzik says he is doing and what he is actually doing. Bringing Rex Ryan back in a make or break year, and then not spending any money and fielding the team he threw out there is absolutely a fireable offense. Otherwise if you are in total rebuild mode, you might as well have fired Rex at the end of last season and brought in your guy. Calling his draft picks sacred - and then trading one to Seattle on a 1-6 team for an overpaid Percy Harvin was ridiculous. And before anyone points out how well he is playing, realize that there is no way we are bringing him back next year for 10million+, and if we do, the pick is a 4th rounder. We would then be spending 20million+ on Harvin/Decker. And resigning Jeremy Kerley mid-season - why in the world are we locking up ANYBODY in the midst of a season like this. I don't care how much guaranteed money it is. Kerley has 26 catches for 237 yards and 1 td in 10 games. You are telling me it was so urgent to lock him up for multiple years and it couldn't wait until the offseason? 

You don't get to keep your job in the NFL because you "need more time to prove yourself". This is not an internship. His record speaks for itself and the guy HAS to go. If not - be ready for 4-5 years of Jets football similar to the Bruce Coslet, Rich Kotite 90's… It will be that bad (or worse). 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Idzik has even ONE supporter out there is just amazing to me.

- In 2 years he has destroyed our roster.

- His 2 drafts (outside of Sheldon Richardson) were failures on epic levels of awful.

- His hand picked QB was a complete disaster and his mantra of "open competition" was an absolute farce. 

- His "moves" to get us under the cap were only possible because the contracts that Tannenbaum gave out were written in a way that put Idzik in to a situation that made it possible to cut them. These weren't genius moves. Cutting Sanchez, Holmes, etc to create cap space - my 15 year old nephew would have done the exact same thing.

- The only reason that we have so much cap room now is because he set an unrealistic value on free agents in spite of their market value and played some dopey game of hardball that resulted in free agents laughing at him. Because of that, we fielded the worst defensive backfield in possibly the history of the NFL. He overpaid Eric Decker in a year that we had 12 draft picks in a draft that was maybe the deepest WR draft in history - and then wound up whiffing on 3 WR's. 

Then there is the clash of what Idzik says he is doing and what he is actually doing. Bringing Rex Ryan back in a make or break year, and then not spending any money and fielding the team he threw out there is absolutely a fireable offense. Otherwise if you are in total rebuild mode, you might as well have fired Rex at the end of last season and brought in your guy. Calling his draft picks sacred - and then trading one to Seattle on a 1-6 team for an overpaid Percy Harvin was ridiculous. And before anyone points out how well he is playing, realize that there is no way we are bringing him back next year for 10million+, and if we do, the pick is a 4th rounder. We would then be spending 20million+ on Harvin/Decker. And resigning Jeremy Kerley mid-season - why in the world are we locking up ANYBODY in the midst of a season like this. I don't care how much guaranteed money it is. Kerley has 26 catches for 237 yards and 1 td in 10 games. You are telling me it was so urgent to lock him up for multiple years and it couldn't wait until the offseason? 

You don't get to keep your job in the NFL because you "need more time to prove yourself". This is not an internship. His record speaks for itself and the guy HAS to go. If not - be ready for 4-5 years of Jets football similar to the Bruce Coslet, Rich Kotite 90's… It will be that bad (or worse). 

Ok, so I think you are of the belief that Idzik selected these draft picks that somehow he was judged to be an expert talent evaluator and he selected these players. Ok, I think we need to back up for a sec....was there ANYTHING in the run up to Idzik's selection that led you to believe that he was a personnel selection guru? No. Did we know he was another cap manager? Yes.

Ok. Now with that out of the way, did Idzik scew up in keeping the scouting department? yes.

Do we have any indication that Idzik personally selected the draft picks on his own? No.

Did Idzik probably have too much trust in the scouting dept? Yes.

So what to do?

We have several options on how to proceed here:

1) If we believe Idzik has no redeeming qualities then we let him go and hire a personnel guru as a GM.

2) If we believe Idzik deserves the benefit of the doubt, then you clean house and you hire brand new scouts (that means Bradway is gone).  

Either way, the scouting group has to go. They have been abjectively terrible in offense skill position player selections....

No good QBs, No good Wrs (kerley is ok) and No good RBs. (powell is serviceable).

The scouting dept. has to go.

LL

you have to clean house and bring in a winning culture. 

Idzik - GONE

Glat - GONE
Bradway - GONE

Rex - GONE

the rest of the coaching staff - GONE

Woody needs to hire a PROVEN leader (without the "help" of that ridiculous Jed Hughes - Korn/Ferry scam headhunting operation) step aside and let the guy do his thing. 

you have to clean house and bring in a winning culture. 

Idzik - GONE

Glat - GONE

Bradway - GONE

Rex - GONE

the rest of the coaching staff - GONE

Woody needs to hire a PROVEN leader (without the "help" of that ridiculous Jed Hughes - Korn/Ferry scam headhunting operation) step aside and let the guy do his thing. 

Don't forget about Bauer, he's another guy who's been here since the Bradway regime. The entire scouting dept/FO needs to be flushed and replaced, from top to bottom.

Don't forget about Bauer, he's another guy who's been here since the Bradway regime. The entire scouting dept/FO needs to be flushed and replaced, from top to bottom.

Axelrod… the names are endless that have to go… as far as I am concerned, you can't get rid of enough people - all the way down to the stupid drum line… 

what if the head coach takes the players the gm got him, puts them in position to succeed, and they win games? that would be something

lol thats kinda hard when half dont even make the final cuts - why would you draft 3 WR in later rounds anyway

man take the blinders off esa you under a smokescreen you need to chill bra smell the weed.  where you going with all this negativity anyway bra, get with bro, jump on the winning team... lets clean house and start over again bra that all we be preachin bro... 

lol thats kinda hard when half dont even make the final cuts - why would you draft 3 WR in later rounds anyway

man take the blinders off esa you under a smokescreen you need to chill bra smell the weed. where you going with all this negativity anyway bra, get with bro, jump on the winning team... lets clean house and start over again bra that all we be preachin bro...

You know, I never thought of it like that.

man take the blinders off esa you under a smokescreen you need to chill bra smell the weed.  where you going with all this negativity anyway bra, get with bro, jump on the winning team... lets clean house and start over again bra that all we be preachin bro... 

Every ting criss, mon.

Irregardless isn't a word

From Merriam-Webster:

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Irregardless, this has been one of your better, well thought out rationales for retaining Idzik. Kudos.

Ok, so I think you are of the belief that Idzik selected these draft picks that somehow he was judged to be an expert talent evaluator and he selected these players. Ok, I think we need to back up for a sec....was there ANYTHING in the run up to Idzik's selection that led you to believe that he was a personnel selection guru? No. Did we know he was another cap manager? Yes.

Ok. Now with that out of the way, did Idzik scew up in keeping the scouting department? yes.

Do we have any indication that Idzik personally selected the draft picks on his own? No.

Did Idzik probably have too much trust in the scouting dept? Yes.

So what to do?

We have several options on how to proceed here:

1) If we believe Idzik has no redeeming qualities then we let him go and hire a personnel guru as a GM.

2) If we believe Idzik deserves the benefit of the doubt, then you clean house and you hire brand new scouts (that means Bradway is gone).  

Either way, the scouting group has to go. They have been abjectively terrible in offense skill position player selections....

No good QBs, No good Wrs (kerley is ok) and No good RBs. (powell is serviceable).

The scouting dept. has to go.

LL

Idzik fired most of Tanny's scouts after yr 1, so the results from this year's crapola draft is directly from iddy's handpicked staff.  I would assume he decided to retain Badway.

Fair enough....I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying.  All I'm saying is the extent to which this guy is being destroyed...Billboards, signs, Mehta bashes...

It's just waaaay over the top...I see a lot of good he's done.  Jets are in the best cap position in the league, are very young, he did draft a ROY...

His big miss was Geno, missing on a QB is a disaster for a GM.   But he deserves time to work through the plan he has in place.

His plan is to build thru the draft. Having a plan and having the ability to execute it are two entirely different things. He foolishly went all-in with Geno. The Seahawks, his last stop, kept trading for and paying QBs until they found Wilson. Idzik needed to be much more aggressive at the position.

And the salary cap stuff is secondary to, and much easier than, bringing in the talent that the salary cap gets spent on. Keeping a GM because he's good at the salary cap is like keeping a QB because he's good at handing the ball off.

You know, I never thought of it like that.

of course you haven't man, we doing the back and forth bra, we in dialect bro, sharing ideas, making it a better world man...its ok that your a creepy looking dude,  its all good,   just sharing ideas on the local sport man! everyone gets a voice bra...come out of the basement!

Proven loser head coach once again gets nothing from draft class. Mark as "coincidental."

Proven loser head coach has had one losing season in five years as a head coach, and a 4-2 record in the playoffs.

GM who deserves more time appears to be overseeing the team's worst season since before the proven loser head coach was hired.

Because logic and facts.

Proven loser head coach has had one losing season in five years as a head coach, and a 4-2 record in the playoffs.

GM who deserves more time appears to be overseeing the team's worst season since before the proven loser head coach was hired.

Because logic and facts.

Ooh! Fun!

Proven loser head coach has two winning seasons out of six, and last appeared in the playoffs when Ke$ha's "Tik Tok" was the number one song in America.

man take the blinders off esa you under a smokescreen you need to chill bra smell the weed. where you going with all this negativity anyway bra, get with bro, jump on the winning team... lets clean house and start over again bra that all we be preachin bro...

Well said.

Idzik sucks irregardless of Mehta's opinion.

And his premise here isn't entirely out of whack, either. It's no genius insight, but it's not wrong. Rex is coaching for his next job right now, and if he squeezes a few wins out of this team down the stretch, that could absolutely result in a positive effect for Idzik (and a negative one for the franchise).

agreed. Now go sign up for my mafia game

Because logic and facts.

If you want to get after Idzik for his mismanagement of the roster, that's fine. He deserves it. But Rex is as culpable for the mess we're in.

There's no defending him anymore.

Because logic and facts.

LOL, keep defending this loser. Years from now, posts like these will be preserved to look back and laugh at.

From Merriam-Webster:

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

touche - careful what u say around here..there F**KG fact checkers and rightly soooo...welll done!

Fair enough....I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. All I'm saying is the extent to which this guy is being destroyed...Billboards, signs, Mehta bashes...

It's just waaaay over the top...I see a lot of good he's done. Jets are in the best cap position in the league, are very young, he did draft a ROY...

His big miss was Geno, missing on a QB is a disaster for a GM. But he deserves time to work through the plan he has in place.

Very young and unpromising players doesn't say a lot about this team. Add the assumed changes and this team again is in reboot mode. If they change DL alignments who is playing where they can produce? This is besides no QB and Secondary.

The Jets had 12 picks and they will need 24 to turn this roster over.

Archived