MetLife named highest grossing stadium in the world.

joewilly12

We're all in this together. If the stadium was a disaster, you'd blame the loyal PSL owning Jets fans so now that the stadium is a rockin' success, you can give credit to the loyal PSL owning Jets fans.

And by the way, a typical PSL is $7 a game more and the Jets haven't raised ticket prices since Giants Stadium 2008. This anti-PSL stuff can stop now. You don't need to tell us how to spend our fun money.

SAR I

A few questions for you:

1). What qualifies as a rockin' success?

2). Why do you care that the Stadium made $$

3). Who gets all that $$? Jets, Giants, New Jersey, etc.

4). Why do you care about concrete and steel?

Cheers.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get your schtick. But the shared stadium sucks and the Jets have a horrible product. not sure what "credit" PSL suckers want.

You helped pay for a building someone else makes millions off and if you don't sell your tix and actually attend games you watch a horrible team.

Yeah for you.

The shared stadium is great, and even if it wasn't it beats the hell out of the hole that Giants Stadium was. It makes complete sense for a sport with only 10 gates out of 365 to have two teams share it.

The Jets suck, but that happens. Look at the Seahawks, Broncos, 49ers, even the Patriots of a decade ago. As a season ticket holder, you take the good with the bad. It's called "loyalty".

SAR I

I do not have a problem with the PSL. My problem is it is not a true PSL. If it were you would have first shot at a Ticket to any event in the stadium for your seat. They can't offer that to you becauce a Giants fan also owns a PSL to the same seat. I am guessing you don't care about any other events in the stadium just Jet games.

Other cities have a PSL. Philidelphia did not have any PSL cost more than $5000.00 when they opened the LInk and you have first choice on your seats for anything held in the stadium.

You can get any ticket to any event in the city on Stubhub for $50 over face value.

It's not worth stressing over a Ticketmaster early buy at 10AM on a Saturday for PSL owners.

Is this really what we're arguing? Boo hoo, the Jets didn't give me first dibs on Taylor Swift tickets? Really?

SAR I

Care to elaborate on this $7 a game more? 

Also, it is not about money. I am from Italy. If one of our soccer teams decided to sell PSL's, that soccer team would be demolished by the fans. Where the hell do you see this PSL bullsh*t in any other part of the world? You got suckered into financing a stadium to fill the pockets of millionaires. Kudos to you. Well done. You are making Richie Rich(Woodrow) proud.

The most affordable PSL back in 2008 was $2,000.

$2,000 divided by 30 years divided by 10 games per year is $6.67 per game. A beer and a hot dog cost $18. You probably spend $6.67 a day on pizza, beer, cigarettes, newspapers, bagels, whatever. This PSL whining is a joke. You don't need to worry about how rich people spend their fun money. We didn't get suckered. We're the successful businessmen making the rules, chief.

SAR I

Worked out well for me.  I didn't have to suffer though a ton of terrible games this year.  The times I wanted to go, tickets were practically free from the masses of people that didn't want to go.

Oh, and I don't owe anyone $10,000 for well... I'm having problems figuring out what the benefits are.  A free ticket to go to see the Lego Movie?

Thanks for helping pay for the stadium for the rest of us to see the many events held there though.  We appreciate your sacrifice (even if you've managed to convince yourself that it was worth it and wasn't a sacrifice)!

I spent $16,000 on PSL's in 2008. It's 2015.

If I asked you how much money you spent on vacations in the last 7 years, what would that number be? Movies? Theater? Cars? This infatuation with how rich people spend their fun money fascinates me.

Do this for me: Go walk up to a pack-a-day smoker. Inform him that smoking causes cancer and he'll "suffer through a lot" for his habit. Tell him that he's wasting $5,100 a year to make rich people richer, could have bought a lot of Lego's for that. Then make him realize that at $5,100 over a 30 year period he could have taken his $150,000 cigarette money and did something harmless with it, like purchase PSL's to see his favorite football team with his family.

Let me know how that goes.

SAR I

SAR I

A few questions for you:

1). What qualifies as a rockin' success?

2). Why do you care that the Stadium made $$

3). Who gets all that $$? Jets, Giants, New Jersey, etc.

4). Why do you care about concrete and steel?

Cheers.

1. The stadium is a success because we know that when the Jets are good the stadium is sold out, every PSL seat, every Club seat, every upper deck seat. The reason it looks empty now is because all the freeloading upper deckers who were too cheap to pay an extra $7 per game decided to opt-out when the Jets went from AFC Championship Games to the cellar. Disloyal bastards, sitting in mom's basement now, but they'll be back when we're good again.

2. I care that the Stadium makes money because there are second-rate franchises in New York that are in financial peril. Look at the Mets. Look at the Islanders. Look at the Devils. When MetLife makes money the Jets make money. That's good for our team. We don't need Fred Wilpon II and his Ponzi cap making our lives even worse.

3. See above. The Jets are 50% owners of the stadium. They get the money. Woody Johnson has never been cheap, always spent the big bucks to get the likes of Favre, Tomlinson, Scott, Edwards, Burress, Faneca, Holmes, people like to forget that he really wants to win. We have the best training facilities in the league, we utilize technology, trainers, scouts, all the non-salary-cap stuff. The stadium pays those bills. That helps the team.

4. I don't care about concrete and steel but I get offended when people don't treat PSL owners as the tremendously loyal fans they are. They act like PSL's were some "bad investment" and somehow we were "duped by The Man". It's like they want to pitch a tent on our behalf and start Occupy Wall Street again. News Flash- rich people waste money all the time. It's one of the best parts of being rich. And, by the way, when I say "rich", we're talking about $7 to $25 a game for the typical PSL, not going to buy a Bentley from that.

5. We spent $16,000 seven years ago, it's not something we even think about any more. But over and over again fans in here, fans on the radio, whine whine whine about PSL's and they're all non-PSL owners who simply don't get the fact that it's a price increase, and a marginal one at that- the Jets haven't raised gameday ticket prices since 2008, I'm still paying the same $125 I did back then. By the way, the Jets raised my prices from $75 to $125 between 2001 and 2008, that's a huge increase, that's bigger than any PSL. Where was the outrage back then? The same people who accepted that increase like quiet little sheep back then are the ones whining now. Crazy.

SAR I

The most affordable PSL back in 2008 was $2,000.

$2,000 divided by 30 years divided by 10 games per year is $6.67 per game. A beer and a hot dog cost $18. You probably spend $6.67 a day on pizza, beer, cigarettes, newspapers, bagels, whatever. This PSL whining is a joke. You don't need to worry about how rich people spend their fun money. We didn't get suckered. We're the successful businessmen making the rules, chief.

SAR I

You're in mid season form, SAR!  At 1:30 in the morning no less... You haven't lost a step.

Your math is spot on regarding the up charge per game.

I'd bet the actual up charge per game the Pats invoiced their fans in lieu of a PSL charge was probably more than your Jets PSL math per game.

I don't know this for sure but maybe the Pats realized there would be a backlash on the "principle" of charging a PSL and therefore did not force the issue and instead incorporated the revenue needed into the ticket prices, burying the PSL charge in a sense.

If the Jets did the same thing perhaps there would not have been such a backlash here.

As you stated, when ticket prices rose 66% between 2001 and 2008 there was no outrage.

Jets would have been better off from a PR perspective "burying" the PSL revenue in the form of ticket price increases.

There would have been complaining, but no outrage.

I spent $16,000 on PSL's in 2008. It's 2015.If I asked you how much money you spent on vacations in the last 7 years, what would that number be? Movies? Theater? Cars? This infatuation with how rich people spend their fun money fascinates me.Do this for me: Go walk up to a pack-a-day smoker. Inform him that smoking causes cancer and he'll "suffer through a lot" for his habit. Tell him that he's wasting $5,100 a year to make rich people richer, could have bought a lot of Lego's for that. Then make him realize that at $5,100 over a 30 year period he could have taken his $150,000 cigarette money and did something harmless with it, like purchase PSL's to see his favorite football team with his family.Let me know how that goes.SAR I

You finally said something that makes sense.

Jets PSL are better than cancer.

I spent $16,000 on PSL's in 2008. It's 2015.

If I asked you how much money you spent on vacations in the last 7 years, what would that number be? Movies? Theater? Cars? This infatuation with how rich people spend their fun money fascinates me.

Do this for me: Go walk up to a pack-a-day smoker. Inform him that smoking causes cancer and he'll "suffer through a lot" for his habit. Tell him that he's wasting $5,100 a year to make rich people richer, could have bought a lot of Lego's for that. Then make him realize that at $5,100 over a 30 year period he could have taken his $150,000 cigarette money and did something harmless with it, like purchase PSL's to see his favorite football team with his family.

Let me know how that goes.

SAR I

$5100 / 365 = $13.97 per day

Is that how much a pack of cigs cost these days?

You're in mid season form, SAR!  At 1:30 in the morning no less... You haven't lost a step.

Your math is spot on regarding the up charge per game.

I'd bet the actual up charge per game the Pats invoiced their fans in lieu of a PSL charge was probably more than your Jets PSL math per game.

I don't know this for sure but maybe the Pats realized there would be a backlash on the "principle" of charging a PSL and therefore did not force the issue and instead incorporated the revenue needed into the ticket prices, burying the PSL charge in a sense.

If the Jets did the same thing perhaps there would not have been such a backlash here.

As you stated, when ticket prices rose 66% between 2001 and 2008 there was no outrage.

Jets would have been better off from a PR perspective "burying" the PSL revenue in the form of ticket price increases.

There would have been complaining, but no outrage.

I'm in Vegas, so it's a bit earlier for me than it is for you guys for now.

Almost all of the PSL haters don't have PSL's and didn't even have season tickets. They just believe what they read on Twitter and hear on Boomer & Carton, they don't even realize that all the PSL's are paid off now, it's been 7 years.

The best part of the PSL's is that fans finally got to pick whatever seats they wanted and could afford without some 75 year old squatter taking up the best seats in the house. After a decade on the damn waitlist, I finally got what I deserved and if it costs me an extra $13 per game, that's awesome, I'd have paid a king's ransom for great seats in Giants Stadium but they were never available.

PSL's rule.

SAR I

You finally said something that makes sense.

Jets PSL are better than cancer.

Answer these questions:

1. How many vacations have you taken in the last 7 years?

2. Totalled up, how much money have you spent on those vacations the last 7 years?

Thanks.

SAR I

Bottom line if you want season tickets in PSL zones you find a way to make it work and fit it in your budget. There are a lot of great PSLs 4 sale on E-Bay in great locations . The upper deck isn't the place to be if you want to enjoy the game. If you want to dance you need to pay the band. 

I spent $16,000 on PSL's in 2008. It's 2015.If I asked you how much money you spent on vacations in the last 7 years, what would that number be? Movies? Theater? Cars? This infatuation with how rich people spend their fun money fascinates me.Do this for me: Go walk up to a pack-a-day smoker. Inform him that smoking causes cancer and he'll "suffer through a lot" for his habit. Tell him that he's wasting $5,100 a year to make rich people richer, could have bought a lot of Lego's for that. Then make him realize that at $5,100 over a 30 year period he could have taken his $150,000 cigarette money and did something harmless with it, like purchase PSL's to see his favorite football team with his family.Let me know how that goes.SAR I

So in 2008 I took the option of buying UD 50 yard line seats instead of a PSL. I agree that row 8 sucked with the railings, so I took row 10. In 2009 I took 16,000 and bought some very cheap stock in a few banks. Care to guess how that has paid off since then? In 2010 I gave up my season tickets because everyone around me was buying them on stubhub for 80 bucks a game, 45 cheaper than my face value. The last home game this year versus the Pats I paid 10 bucks for a lower bowl 30 yard line seat. And after all of that I am still a loyal fan. How about you take some time and figure out the math for me and let me know if PSLs have really paid off for anyone?

So in 2008 I took the option of buying UD 50 yard line seats instead of a PSL. I agree that row 8 sucked with the railings, so I took row 10. In 2009 I took 16,000 and bought some very cheap stock in a few banks. Care to guess how that has paid off since then? In 2010 I gave up my season tickets because everyone around me was buying them on stubhub for 80 bucks a game, 45 cheaper than my face value. The last home game this year versus the Pats I paid 10 bucks for a lower bowl 30 yard line seat. And after all of that I am still a loyal fan. How about you take some time and figure out the math for me and let me know if PSLs have really paid off for anyone?

Please don't ask him to do that. Please.

It all depends what you consider paying off. Monetary payoff or overall game day experience paying off? 

I had season tix in 2012. Yes it was UD corner. Tix were $50/game. They (Jets salespeople) tried really hard to getus to buy PSLs leading up to week one. We held firm and thus, no PSL. The Jets proceeded to suck. And the coach 'whose players love playing for him' loved him so much they managed 4 win this year.

Yeah, glad I didn't buy PSLs. PSLs MIGHT be worth it if the secondary market surges because the Jets become an elite team year in and year out. I'm not going to hold my breath. And if that actually does happen I'll gladly pay a premium price for a premium product.

Who said season tickets "paid off for anyone" outside of the enjoyment they bring.

The cost of a PSL pales in comparison with the real expenditure and the one thing that no one complains about: THE COST OF SEASON TICKETS.

My Mezzanine PSL's cost me $13 a game. My Mezzanine gameday tickets cost $125. Everyone is soooo concerned for me that I got "ripped off" by "the man" by the measely PSL ask, where is the outrage over the price of the TICKETS?

People are so ignorant. Seriously. The 30 year PSL commitment for a single Mezzanine seat with inflation will be $50,000. And you're upset about the $4,000?

SAR I

I do not have a problem with the PSL. My problem is it is not a true PSL. If it were you would have first shot at a Ticket to any event in the stadium for your seat. They can't offer that to you becauce a Giants fan also owns a PSL to the same seat. .

100% why I never bought the pos

I saw the jets in Green Bay it was a good trip. I'll take another one in 7 years when I can afford it again

I didn't mean a "Jets trip". I meant a "family vacation". If you couldn't go on more than one, I apologize for bringing it up, but my point is this:

A typical family of 5 all-in for a single nice vacation in the tropics every year probably looks like this:

$3,000 airfare

$2,100 hotel

$ 500 car rental

$1,000 food

$1,000 siteseeing/theme park tickets/etc.

======

$7,600

So in this example, someone who spent $16,000 on 4 PSL's in 2008 has also spent around $53,200 on family vacations in the same time span.

Where's the outrage? Where's the vitriol? "Family vacations aren't an investment!" "Family vacations are a rip off!" "You let a big company fleece you for thousands of dollars, idiot!" "What is Disney World doing with the money!"

Why people pick on PSL's as the anti-Christ I'll never know. Attending live NFL games isn't for everyone, not everyone has the ability to spend $5,000 a year on 10 home games. But those who do can certainly afford the PSL and no one should tell people how to spend their fun money and that's really the end of the discussion right there.

SAR I

It all depends what you consider paying off. Monetary payoff or overall game day experience paying off?

Exactly.

A wedding today, a Bar Mitzvah, costs what, $40,000? $50,000? And for what? 6 hours of dancing and average food?

Ah, but the photos and the memories last a lifetime. And for PSL holders and their families, we're building memories and spending time together and that's the "investment" in PSL's and season tickets if there is such a thing.

SAR I

Who said season tickets "paid off for anyone" outside of the enjoyment they bring.

The cost of a PSL pales in comparison with the real expenditure and the one thing that no one complains about: THE COST OF SEASON TICKETS.

My Mezzanine PSL's cost me $13 a game. My Mezzanine gameday tickets cost $125. Everyone is soooo concerned for me that I got "ripped off" by "the man" by the measely PSL ask, where is the outrage over the price of the TICKETS?

People are so ignorant. Seriously. The 30 year PSL commitment for a single Mezzanine seat with inflation will be $50,000. And you're upset about the $4,000?

SAR I

The Jets didn't offer a 30 year PSL payment option.

I didn't mean a "Jets trip". I meant a "family vacation". If you couldn't go on more than one, I apologize for bringing it up, but my point is this:

A typical family of 5 all-in for a single nice vacation in the tropics every year probably looks like this:

$3,000 airfare

$2,100 hotel

$ 500 car rental

$1,000 food

$1,000 siteseeing/theme park tickets/etc.

======

$7,600

SAR I

How long a vacation is this example?

come on sar .. I spent a fortune taking the family to Disney last year.. but what does that have to do with paying insane seat licenses for 10 days a year.. a good investment is getting right of first refusal / stubhub resale on any event there ... it's cheaper to just scalp tickets for 4 games a year and sit in all different seats

Who said season tickets "paid off for anyone" outside of the enjoyment they bring.The cost of a PSL pales in comparison with the real expenditure and the one thing that no one complains about: THE COST OF SEASON TICKETS.My Mezzanine PSL's cost me $13 a game. My Mezzanine gameday tickets cost $125. Everyone is soooo concerned for me that I got "ripped off" by "the man" by the measely PSL ask, where is the outrage over the price of the TICKETS?People are so ignorant. Seriously. The 30 year PSL commitment for a single Mezzanine seat with inflation will be $50,000. And you're upset about the $4,000?SAR I

Exactly, and thanks for just disproving your point that PSLs were a good thing for you. The only reason why you spend 125 per ticket is because you HAVE to. Your stuck for the next 30 years, well until woody really screws this up and needs to move the team. And by the way your $13 a game doesn't take into consideration the loss you take each year on the two preseason games 125/8=???

Exactly, and thanks for just disproving your point that PSLs were a good thing for you. The only reason why you spend 125 per ticket is because you HAVE to. Your stuck for the next 30 years, well until woody really screws this up and needs to move the team. And by the way your $13 a game doesn't take into consideration the loss you take each year on the two preseason games 125/8=???

To each his own but IMO Jet's ST just aren't a good value anymore.

I've been trying to talk myself back into getting back into the fold but I just can't justify it.

1. Good seats still require a PSL.

2. Take the 2 PS games (20% of the total nut) and flush them.

3. Don't want to attend a Sunday night or Monday night game when you get home at 2 AM.

4. Family of 4 at one game in good seats with all the amenities could cost well over a grand.  I can fly to Europe or pay 20% of my dues at Baltusrol for that. 

5. Throw in the fact that HDTV gives you 50 different camera angles and someone here said he bought Lower Level tickets for $30 on SH for the Pats game.

I have ST for the Knicks and the Devils.  They both suck right now (the Knicks REALLY suck) but I feel they are still both a better value as I can flip most games for a profit ( I have decent seats for both) plus no PSL for both and only a small % of the games are PS.

The concept of "value" is different for everyone and I am not knocking anyone who feels their Jet's ST are a good value.

As I said I would like to get back in but it is just not for me right now and I am a Jet Fan above a Knick and Devil's Fan.

I have PSLs. I'm lower sideline, and wanted to be as high as I could be in the lower level for perspective and as close as I could to the really pricey club seats without paying those prices. Wound up second row from top, so 1 row off my ideal, and 6 seats off aisle, so just a few feet from my ideal.

I lazily watch resale and sometimes sell an extra. There have been many games where it was easy to get $250-300 per ticket. I sold a single to the chargers game a couple years ago for $275, and I listed it on Saturday afternoon so it took only a couple hours less than 24 hours before kickoff

There are other games where you definitely take a bath if you want to sell.

I am certain someone could get bargains many weeks each year on stubhub. Some seasons, most weeks. Also, if you are willing to wait last second and don't have strong preferences on where you sit, yeah you can probably get a deal most every game by buying Sunday morning.

For me, the psl cost was high but it was so long ago it's not something I think about anymore. And I'm happy that I get something close to my ideal seat every week with zero effort. And I like the folks who sit near me each game.

My choice is probably not good for everyone, but I'm happy with it. Now I just want a good qb and some better management and some wins. And how about some home playoff games!

Archived