MetLife named highest grossing stadium in the world.

joewilly12

I'm happy that I get something close to my ideal seat every week with zero effort. And I like the folks who sit near me each game.

That in itself adds value to your seats.

Not having to exert any effort every week is a plus as is bonding with the people around you each week.

I was in 112 Row 6 behind the Jet's bench at GS for years and the guys around us were all great guys and were there every week.

High fives all around after every touchdown.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in 2008 I took the option of buying UD 50 yard line seats instead of a PSL. I agree that row 8 sucked with the railings, so I took row 10. In 2009 I took 16,000 and bought some very cheap stock in a few banks. Care to guess how that has paid off since then? In 2010 I gave up my season tickets because everyone around me was buying them on stubhub for 80 bucks a game, 45 cheaper than my face value. The last home game this year versus the Pats I paid 10 bucks for a lower bowl 30 yard line seat. And after all of that I am still a loyal fan. How about you take some time and figure out the math for me and let me know if PSLs have really paid off for anyone?

Anyone can buy great seats at severely discounted prices when the team sucks.  If and when the team becomes a perennial competitor, good luck with that.

P.S.  good deal on those Jets-Pats seats.  I sold my lower sidelines seats for that game on stub hub for OVER face 4 weeks before the game.  Obviously, some stupid Pats fans out there didn't understand the nature of supply and demand.  In fact, with the exception of the preseason game against the Colts, I sold every single ticket for the games we did not attend for over face on Stub Hub.  Guess I was just lucky, huh?

Answer these questions:1. How many vacations have you taken in the last 7 years?2. Totalled up, how much money have you spent on those vacations the last 7 years?Thanks.SAR I

Why? is sitting in the cold watching the Jets lose (or to be honest, selling the tix half the time) a lot like 3 weeks in the Carribean?

This has to be a worse argument than the cigarettes.

Keep swinging chooch.

Lol SAR I is like an awful WWF gimmick.  The upper middle class guy who pretends to be filthy loaded and rubs it in people's faces.

Definitely not as good as Bastion Booger though.  http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/wwe-mma-wrestling/wwe-ten-of-the-worst-gimmicks-in-wrestling-history-9227518.html

He's not even that. SAD 1 is polyester middle.

Exactly.A wedding today, a Bar Mitzvah, costs what, $40,000? $50,000? And for what? 6 hours of dancing and average food?Ah, but the photos and the memories last a lifetime. And for PSL holders and their families, we're building memories and spending time together and that's the "investment" in PSL's and season tickets if there is such a thing.SAR I

what was your favorite memory from this year?

So in 2008 I took the option of buying UD 50 yard line seats instead of a PSL. I agree that row 8 sucked with the railings, so I took row 10. In 2009 I took 16,000 and bought some very cheap stock in a few banks. Care to guess how that has paid off since then? In 2010 I gave up my season tickets because everyone around me was buying them on stubhub for 80 bucks a game, 45 cheaper than my face value. The last home game this year versus the Pats I paid 10 bucks for a lower bowl 30 yard line seat. And after all of that I am still a loyal fan. How about you take some time and figure out the math for me and let me know if PSLs have really paid off for anyone?

Suspect this is the experience of a lot of former season ticket holders. Pretty much the same. Issue was rebuilding a hurricane-wrecked house; the idea of paying that much money and spending 6-8 Sundays usually being pissed afterward seemed moronic. Add in a son playing prep football every fall weekend, and an expensive stadium that frankly is a pain in the ass to get to, to get into, to get out of, to get home from, and a big screen TV that was in front of the couch or several gin mills within walking distance of either house we own. Since the Jets have mostly sucked balls, you can get better tickets cheaper than what you would've ever paid with the PSL expense. If someone drops tickets in my lap or a local merchant or friend runs a bus trip, great. And considering going to London in October, feel bad I missed Nashville this season. Been to the former and loved it, never been to the later and would like to go there.

Now, if the Jets had turned it around and been any good or had some home playoff games(hey, Rex lovers, is this a consideration at all-but I digress), might be a very different situation.

Must also be said that while it's not on the same scale given their success the Giants are also experiencing some folks giving up their tickets. Simply the NFL still fails to see that the best way to see their games is at home, and going to a stadium is a total pain in the ass. Spending 45 minutes for rent a cops to treat you like a criminal is such f___ing overkill.And every time it reminds you they don't value you any of as customers. And spare me the terrorism nonsense; the rent-a-cops would be a speed bump to well-trained terrorists.

What are the face value ticket prices at MetLife?

I gave up my Pats season tickets after the 2009 season. The Pats didn't do PSL's but they raised tickets prices just about every season. I sat on the lower sideline around the 10 yard line.

2001: $49 - Foxboro Stadium

2002: $99 - Gillette Stadium

I expected the big hike from the old place to the new place.

2003 or 2004: $125

2004 or 2005: $137

2007: $154

2009: $167

I had 3 season tickets at a cost of $5010. That doesn't even include the playoffs when the NFL jacks prices by $20-$30 a ticket.

Anyone can buy great seats at severely discounted prices when the team sucks.  If and when the team becomes a perennial competitor, good luck with that.

P.S.  good deal on those Jets-Pats seats.  I sold my lower sidelines seats for that game on stub hub for OVER face 4 weeks before the game.  Obviously, some stupid Pats fans out there didn't understand the nature of supply and demand.  In fact, with the exception of the preseason game against the Colts, I sold every single ticket for the games we did not attend for over face on Stub Hub.  Guess I was just lucky, huh?

And this is what PSLs forced you to do, sell when you can. Which is what killed that stadium. Every week it is some different sitting near you or some ass acting like an ass because they feel they have a right to. PSLs chased away the real week in and week out fans. The NFL knows it's better to watch on tv and they like it. They make way more from you and me by selling that bud light ad than us buying one in the stadium. I would bet a top $$$ PSL that NFL stadiums of the future will be built to hold less people or owners will look to share more stadiums with other teams (expansion teams)

I am very glad you are making some money back on your PSL, that's great. But SAR needs to stop claiming he's a loyal fan because of the PSL he owns when he'd rather sell it to a Pats fan and then go around complaining about the people and tailgaters who go to the game.

What are the face value ticket prices at MetLife?

I gave up my Pats season tickets after the 2009 season. The Pats didn't do PSL's but they raised tickets prices just about every season. I sat on the lower sideline around the 10 yard line.

2001: $49 - Foxboro Stadium

2002: $99 - Gillette Stadium

I expected the big hike from the old place to the new place.

2003 or 2004: $125

2004 or 2005: $137

2007: $154

2009: $167

I had 3 season tickets at a cost of $5010. That doesn't even include the playoffs when the NFL jacks prices by $20-$30 a ticket.

Pats went with the ticket price increases rather than a mandatory PSL.

Probably a smart PR move. I'm sure there was complaining but no outrage.

Exactly, and thanks for just disproving your point that PSLs were a good thing for you. The only reason why you spend 125 per ticket is because you HAVE to. Your stuck for the next 30 years, well until woody really screws this up and needs to move the team. And by the way your $13 a game doesn't take into consideration the loss you take each year on the two preseason games 125/8=???

It's called "loyalty".

No different than the loyal fans in Shea Stadium or Giants Stadium who would never give up their season tickets even in bad years because they were just too valuable.

I wrote a check to the Jets in 2008 for $16,000. I've spent more than $16,000 over the past 7 years on bagels and coffee. You don't tell me how to spend my fun money, I don't tell you how to spend yours.

SAR I

Why? is sitting in the cold watching the Jets lose (or to be honest, selling the tix half the time) a lot like 3 weeks in the Carribean?

This has to be a worse argument than the cigarettes.

Keep swinging chooch.

Yeah, thought you wouldn't answer. Here, I'll tell you:

You've taken 1 $5,000 vacation a year since 2008 or $35,000. My PSL's cost $16,000.

It's fun money. It's chump change. You can stop worrying about how rich people burn through money now.

SAR I

And this is what PSLs forced you to do, sell when you can. Which is what killed that stadium. Every week it is some different sitting near you or some ass acting like an ass because they feel they have a right to. PSLs chased away the real week in and week out fans. The NFL knows it's better to watch on tv and they like it. They make way more from you and me by selling that bud light ad than us buying one in the stadium. I would bet a top $$$ PSL that NFL stadiums of the future will be built to hold less people or owners will look to share more stadiums with other teams (expansion teams)

PSL's didn't "chase out everybody". The Jets re-priced the stadium and people who were squatting on the 40's down low were asked to pay big bucks to keep them or choose anohter section in the stadium with pricing that was more affordable. And you know what they did? They ran to the upper deck where there were no PSL's. And you know what they did next? The minute we stopped being a contender they left and went home, quit on the team just like that.

See, those fans had a scam going on that prevented loyal Jets fans from getting good seats. Senile 90 year old grandpa would let his grandchildren have the Jets tickets. They'd sell 4 games at 2x face value and attend the other 4 games for free. Quite a deal. The Jets knew it, wealthy fans in crap seats knew it, the team ended the charade.

Now, the shoe is on the other foot and it feels great. I have tremendous seats and I attend every game I can. When there's a family conflict or a work conflict I sell 'em on Stubhub. It's all good.

SAR I

I am very glad you are making some money back on your PSL, that's great. But SAR needs to stop claiming he's a loyal fan because of the PSL he owns when he'd rather sell it to a Pats fan and then go around complaining about the people and tailgaters who go to the game.

When I can't go to a game and I put my tickets on Stubhub, I can't control who buys them It is my hope that Jets fans will buy them, but we know Jets fans are cheap, are always lookin for a hand-out, and won't pay a premium price for a premium location.

That's not on me; that's on Jets fans. There are more fans watching the game on TV than live at the game, so if you care so much tell your friends to go to the game and buy up all 4,000 tickets that change hands every week, problem solved.

All your arguments have one simple answer: "It's the old time Jets fan who doesn't show up to the game anymore, it's his fault."

They're the ones who quit on the team. They're the ones who used a $6.67 ticket price increase to quit on the team. You're defending the bad people, and your offending the good people. So stop.

SAR I

Can one of you guys ban Woody Johnson already?

Ban the 20,000 fake Jets fans who decided to use PSL's as the excuse to quit on the team. They're the ones whose loud voices are missing. They're the ones who deserted the upper deck when the team went south. They're the ones who hung in there in Giants Stadium by ripping off other Jets fans. They're the ones not buying aftermarket tickets from Jets fans. They're the ones leaving gameday seats for enemy fans.

The PSL holder is the good-guy in all of this. We were waitlisted forever, couldn't get a decent view for decades. Now, just a small bit of money that we paid off back when Herman Edwards was running the team was the key that unlocked the door for a better view. Be happy for us. Blame the right people.

SAR I

When I can't go to a game and I put my tickets on Stubhub, I can't control who buys them It is my hope that Jets fans will buy them, but we know Jets fans are cheap, are always lookin for a hand-out, and won't pay a premium price for a premium location.That's not on me; that's on Jets fans. There are more fans watching the game on TV than live at the game, so if you care so much tell your friends to go to the game and buy up all 4,000 tickets that change hands every week, problem solved.All your arguments have one simple answer: "It's the old time Jets fan who doesn't show up to the game anymore, it's his fault."They're the ones who quit on the team. They're the ones who used a $6.67 ticket price increase to quit on the team. You're defending the bad people, and your offending the good people. So stop.SAR I

If you have all this fun money then why sell your tickets? The Jets have a program where you can donate them to a local charity who will put football fans in your seats, most likely jet fans. And if your so "good" and "rich" then why aren't you doing that, but you never will because for years you've been saying how you like to make money selling your tickets and you start those plans as soon as the schedule comes out. And by the way it was the old time jet fan who built the fan base by giving their tickets to the their friends or their grand kids. If that's not going on anymore the younger generation will never understand what it's like to be loyal to a team and instead just stay home and watch the red zone. The NFL is killing it's younger fan base, viewership on CBS and FoX will eventually go down because all kids do these days is watch for the fantasy football stats. And now they know that a PSL is a bad investment so they will wait until it goes away or continue to buy on stubhub.

And by the way your 6.67 ticket increase is way off. You even said it earlier that you went from paying something like 75 to 125 in the new stadium, then add on the two preseason games for that same price. That's a huge increase. They hid a PSL payment in there anyway, and then decided to stick to us again.

Hey I am not knocking every PSL owner, I respect that they made their own decision. I just don't like one guy trying to make it sound like his way is the only way.

PSL's didn't "chase out everybody". The Jets re-priced the stadium and people who were squatting on the 40's down low were asked to pay big bucks to keep them or choose anohter section in the stadium with pricing that was more affordable. And you know what they did? They ran to the upper deck where there were no PSL's. And you know what they did next? The minute we stopped being a contender they left and went home, quit on the team just like that.

See, those fans had a scam going on that prevented loyal Jets fans from getting good seats. Senile 90 year old grandpa would let his grandchildren have the Jets tickets. They'd sell 4 games at 2x face value and attend the other 4 games for free. Quite a deal. The Jets knew it, wealthy fans in crap seats knew it, the team ended the charade.

Now, the shoe is on the other foot and it feels great. I have tremendous seats and I attend every game I can. When there's a family conflict or a work conflict I sell 'em on Stubhub. It's all good.

SAR I

When I can't go to a game and I put my tickets on Stubhub, I can't control who buys them It is my hope that Jets fans will buy them, but we know Jets fans are cheap, are always lookin for a hand-out, and won't pay a premium price for a premium location.

That's not on me; that's on Jets fans. There are more fans watching the game on TV than live at the game, so if you care so much tell your friends to go to the game and buy up all 4,000 tickets that change hands every week, problem solved.

All your arguments have one simple answer: "It's the old time Jets fan who doesn't show up to the game anymore, it's his fault."

They're the ones who quit on the team. They're the ones who used a $6.67 ticket price increase to quit on the team. You're defending the bad people, and your offending the good people. So stop.

SAR I

At least the senile 90 yr old grandpa kept the tickets in the family and didn't profit a dime unlike you who sells them on Stubhub to whoever will buy them mainly opposing teams fans who then sit amongst the loyal PSL owner season ticket holders who have sacrificed so much to be there. People like you have ruined the game day experience and atmosphere for loyal Jets fans who attend every home game regardless of the teams record the weather or anything else. 

Agree with sec331  Hey I am not knocking every PSL owner, I respect that they made their own decision. I just don't like one guy trying to make it sound like his way is the only way.

...and for my next old wives tale, "a watched pot never boils".

Try it.

SAR I

Hi Scott, 

Joe here. If you wouldn't mind please contribute here more than just stirring the pot about PSLs. It was cute  and funny in 2010 when they were new. I could understand it then. But its 2015 now. It's done and over with and gets really annoying when all threads turn into this. 

I'd appreciate if you could stop posting about your PSLs. there are plenty of other topics to comment on so you shouldn't have a problem finding one. 

Thanks, 

Joseph Ross Carlson III

Hi Scott, 

Joe here. If you wouldn't mind please contribute here more than just stirring the pot about PSLs. It was cute  and funny in 2010 when they were new. I could understand it then. But its 2015 now. It's done and over with and gets really annoying when all threads turn into this. 

I'd appreciate if you could stop posting about your PSLs. there are plenty of other topics to comment on so you shouldn't have a problem finding one. 

Thanks, 

Joseph Ross Carlson III

He should change his name to SEWER I because he spews alot of crap

At least the senile 90 yr old grandpa kept the tickets in the family and didn't profit a dime unlike you who sells them on Stubhub to whoever will buy them mainly opposing teams fans who then sit amongst the loyal PSL owner season ticket holders who have sacrificed so much to be there. People like you have ruined the game day experience and atmosphere for loyal Jets fans who attend every home game regardless of the teams record the weather or anything else. 

Agree with sec331  Hey I am not knocking every PSL owner, I respect that they made their own decision. I just don't like one guy trying to make it sound like his way is the only way.

Great point Joe. PSLs force you to sell if you can't make a game or there's a profit to be made. No one likes to give them away anymore because they feel the need to make some money back, which leads to a bunch of disrespecting fans in your seats. It even happens in the upper deck with the high price per game tickets andcrappy views from the end zones. I'll stop now.

The bolded statement above is delusional.  I've been a season ticket holder since 1984 and for the 25 years BEFORE the advent of "PSLs", the stadium was routinely populated by thousands of fans of opposing teams.  Depending on the opponent of course.  Any Steeler, Raider, Giant, 49er, Eagle, Ravens, Dolphin, Bills and, yes,  Patriots game in NJ was flooded with opposing Jerseys/fans.  The phenomenon you describe above has nothing to do with PSLs.  It has to do with the a perennially bad to mdiocre team.  By the time the Jets hit the 3rd home game in 1998, there were very few opposing fans.  When the team is good, the stadium will be green.  When the team is bad, you will see tons of opposing fans.  Not sure why this happens to the Jets more than a some other teams, but it's a fact and its roots go back all the way to the 1980's.  You and those who "blame" this phenomenon on PSLs don't know what you're talking about.

If you have all this fun money then why sell your tickets? The Jets have a program where you can donate them to a local charity who will put football fans in your seats, most likely jet fans. And if your so "good" and "rich" then why aren't you doing that, but you never will because for years you've been saying how you like to make money selling your tickets and you start those plans as soon as the schedule comes out. And by the way it was the old time jet fan who built the fan base by giving their tickets to the their friends or their grand kids. If that's not going on anymore the younger generation will never understand what it's like to be loyal to a team and instead just stay home and watch the red zone. The NFL is killing it's younger fan base, viewership on CBS and FoX will eventually go down because all kids do these days is watch for the fantasy football stats. And now they know that a PSL is a bad investment so they will wait until it goes away or continue to buy on stubhub.

And by the way your 6.67 ticket increase is way off. You even said it earlier that you went from paying something like 75 to 125 in the new stadium, then add on the two preseason games for that same price. That's a huge increase. They hid a PSL payment in there anyway, and then decided to stick to us again.

Hey I am not knocking every PSL owner, I respect that they made their own decision. I just don't like one guy trying to make it sound like his way is the only way.

This is so wrong I don't know where to begin.

Ticket Prices: Re-read my earlier post. Ticket prices went up from $75 to $125 between 2001-2008 in Giants Stadium. In MetLife Stadium, the prices never went up, have been $125 since opening day. The Jets haven't raised gameday ticket prices in 8 years. Compare that with the huge jump from the priopr 8 seasons and there's all this "PSL money" you're talking about. If my seats had increased from $125 to $190 since Metlife opened I'd be $13,000 out of pocket. My PSL's only cost $16,000. GET IT?

Reselling Tickets: Set of my 4 seats plus parking is $535 per game. If you would like to donate them to charity, that's awesome, you Paypal me $535, I'll give the seats to you, and you can donate them to charity. So nice of you.

PSL Investment: No one said it was. It's a small price increase spread out over 30 years that gives a season ticket holder a chance to get some of his money back. Let's say after 15 years I relocate to California, don't want my seats any more. Instead of just letting the Jets get my primo Row 1 Mezz A seats back to sell to someone else, I get to sell them to someone else, and if I can't get back the full $4,000 per seat I put in I'll at least get back $2,000 and if the Jets are good by then, I might get $6,000 per seat. It's not an investment but it gives the fan the chance to recoup some or all of his money when it comes time to sell. There are new Jets fans born every day. There are new recent college grads in the city getting their careers off the ground every day. There are 4 million Jets fans in the NY metro area and there are only 21,000 season ticket holders. The math is on my side.

My Way: My way is the only way. I'm not aware of any PSL owner who is hitting on hard times because the extra $7 or $13 a game is putting him in the poor house. That's fiction from the minds of people who either 1) opted out and quit on the Jets and their old season tickets and feel guilty about it or 2) people who have no clue how money works.

SAR I

The 90 year old senile grampa had evil children who weren't Jets fans or were bad Jets fans. They sold 4 seats for 2X face value and attended the other games for free. I know at least 5 families who acted this way. And I told them what I tell you- they put me on a waitlist from 1988-2002 because they woulnd't just leave. That's 14 years I patiently waited for what turned out to be upper deck nosebleeds by the flags in Giants Stadium all so that the offspring of some guy who bought $5 Shea Stadium seasons tickets in 1965 could go to games for free. I was an awful practice. Best thing about the PSL process is that a long time Jets fan who never could get a decent seat now could. They gave that old place an enema, drove out all these freeloading profiteers, let the real fans have the really good seats.

My level of sacrifice? You challenge that? Here, let me defend myself:

-Haven't missed a Jets game live or on TV since 1978.

-Cut two honeymoon's short by a day to get back from overseas to a US TV to see opening day.

-Waitlisted for 14 years, scrounged Newsday and Pennysaver to buy ad-hoc tickets.

-Relocated to New Hampshire in 1996 and saw every road Jets game at Foxoboro from 1996-2009.

-In 2001 found a retiring postal worker on eBay who agreed to sign his Row 1 Mezzanine seats in GS to me for $10,000

-Commuted 10 hours round trip from New Hampshire from 2001-2009 attending 5+ games a year. 45 trips in 9 years in the freezing cold, rain, snow, ice.

-When PSL's were announced, found a fan with 10 seats he didn't want and paid $1,000 per seat for Day 1 PSL seniority.

-On PSL sales day, chose Row 1 Mezz A seats. Hired lawyer to make the assignment of the seats to my name for $2,000.

Tell me I ruin the gameday experience to my face. Loyal fans like me were screwed around by squatters in the old stadium, blocked from getting good seats for decades. Now it's our turn. We deserve it.

SAR I

Hi Scott, 

Thanks, 

Joseph Ross Carlson III

Just read this after responding to the others, apologizes for the running order.

That said, I am not stirring any pot, it's not meant to be cute and funny, it's something I am very serious and passionate about and myself and others are merely defending PSL owners from wrong thinking and stereotypes found in forums and by the media. I don't think PSL conversation should stop on JN until the conversation stops on the radio, TV, and social media. Not sure why this is a hot button for you but it matters to a lot of us who are constantly told how "bad" PSL's are. They are, in fact, a godsend to many of us.

SAR I

Archived