Jets to Interview Sean McDermott for HC

C Mart

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets and Falcons each planning to bring back Cardinals DC Todd Bowles for second HC interview, per sources; trying to finalize schedule now.

A clever team more interested in Quinn might threaten to bring Bowles in for a second interview to force someone's hand to make a move to hire him before he gets a chance to meet for that second interview. 

Atlanta, Chicago, and San Fran all trump the Jets job. Rex took the only job less desirable than the Jets.

Rex obviously wasn't a candidate for the Jets job, but I think it's probably less desirable than the Bills job. Ditto the Raiders job, which he didn't even have an interest in interviewing for. 

not a bad idea. Panthers defense came together late this year after the whole Greg Hardy situation. 

They rebuilt their entire secondary mid-year. MID-YEAR. 

While our team sat back, bombed the season and used the secondary as an excuse.

It's beginning to look like the Falcons might be Quinn's top choice. Hope we don't get left with nothing again, I'm tired of this sh*t.

How do you figure you have a link suggesting that?? Quinn's friends say the Jets are his top choice so what makes you think that's not true?? 

How do you figure you have a link suggesting that?? Quinn's friends say the Jets are his top choice so what makes you think that's not true?? 

The longer the process goes on, the more rumors will have to be made up in an effort to get clicks - when the reality is simply that Quinn can't accept a position until Seattle's season is over. That lack of intrigue will not get people flooding over to PFT. 

Atlanta, Chicago, and San Fran all trump the Jets job. Rex took the only job less desirable than the Jets.

Atlanta is the only job out of those mentioned that trumps the Jets job. They have a franchise quarterback and offense in place. They also play in a division where they can compete immediately.

Chicago has one of the worst defenses in football and has 100 million dollars locked up in Jay Cutler. Bad investments ruin teams and Chicago made a terrible investment in Cutler which will hold them back from being competitive for years. The only thing that this job has going for it is the lure of the Bears history.

San Francisco is a team on a massive decline. Like the Bears, massive money locked into Kaepernick, who has regressed tremendously this season. Guys like Frank Gore and Anquan Boldin are retiring. IMO this is the least attractive job out of all openings.

The Jets job, on the other hand, are extremely weak (as bad as it gets) in two positions: cornerback and quarterback. Cornerback can be an easy fix, considering there are some free agents who can start immediately. Quarterback is obviously not an easy fix, but in my opinion it's better to have no quarterback and the opportunity to find one rather than have half your cap locked into a bad one. The Jets have the most money in free agency and high draft picks. This is a team that can turn around very quickly with the right coach and right moves this offseason. 

Yeah, I got the sense a handshake deal was already in place - but who the heck really knows.

They may have even had that handshake deal - but until it's signed, things can happen.  Atlanta can swoop in and throw a boat load of money at him and his mind can change quickly

That Atlanta job trumps ours which is a BIG Issue....

Atlanta is not one player away from having a relevant defense, they need and entire defensive rebuild. Sure, they have Matt Ryan and Julio, but beyond those 2 players, they have a terrible OL, no RB, Roddy White looks done... they are a few drafts away from being good, that team is in piss poor shape.

The Jets have a defense built and ready to go, getting back Milliner and McDougle and a couple of free agency moves and our defense can return to the top 10 in the leauge, there is a wealth of talent on that side of the ball. On offense, we need a QB, a QB makes the parts we've assembled on offense look 100% better.

So, if the coach prospect thinks he can come up with a plan at QB with MacCagnan, then one could make the case that the Jets are far closer to being rebuilt. 

I don't know - the Jets job can be pretty interesting to a lot of people.  

Contrary to most beliefs, the Jets do have a lot of young talent, the 6th pick of the draft and an incredible amount of cap space....and you're coming in with low expectations.

Atlanta is the only job out of those mentioned that trumps the Jets job. They have a franchise quarterback and offense in place. They also play in a division where they can compete immediately.

Chicago has one of the worst defenses in football and has 100 million dollars locked up in Jay Cutler. Bad investments ruin teams and Chicago made a terrible investment in Cutler which will hold them back from being competitive for years. The only thing that this job has going for it is the lure of the Bears history.

San Francisco is a team on a massive decline. Like the Bears, massive money locked into Kaepernick, who has regressed tremendously this season. Guys like Frank Gore and Anquan Boldin are retiring. IMO this is the least attractive job out of all openings.

The Jets job, on the other hand, are extremely weak (as bad as it gets) in two positions: cornerback and quarterback. Cornerback can be an easy fix, considering there are some free agents who can start immediately. Quarterback is obviously not an easy fix, but in my opinion it's better to have no quarterback and the opportunity to find one rather than have half your cap locked into a bad one. The Jets have the most money in free agency and high draft picks. This is a team that can turn around very quickly with the right coach and right moves this offseason. 

Great post.

what? what makes you say that?

I don't know, that's just what it looks like right now. Rex went to the Bills because he wasn't ATL's #1 priority, maybe Quinn is. So he goes to Buffalo. Meanwhile, Atlanta doesn't rush anything, they don't have half a dozen interviews lined up. They're not doing anything (and no, I don't buy the funeral excuse). Suddenly however the Jets bring in more guys to interview for the job. Why would they do that if Quinn was our guy? It just looks weird. Why is Atlanta not doing anything? They must be confident they'll get their guy if you look at the way they basically told Rex to take a hike and now they just sit back and wait it seems. Where does that confidence come from? Why do we now bring in more candidates when the press basically made it seem like Quinn to the Jets is a done deal? Hope I'm wrong and he signs the deal.

I don't know, that's just what it looks like right now. Rex went to the Bills because he wasn't ATL's #1 priority, maybe Quinn is. So he goes to Buffalo. Meanwhile, Atlanta doesn't rush anything, they don't have half a dozen interviews lined up. They're not doing anything (and no, I don't buy the funeral excuse). Suddenly however the Jets bring in more guys to interview for the job. Why would they do that if Quinn was our guy? It just looks weird. Why is Atlanta not doing anything? They must be confident they'll get their guy if you look at the way they basically told Rex to take a hike and now they just sit back and wait it seems. Where does that confidence come from? Why do we now bring in more candidates when the press basically made it seem like Quinn to the Jets is a done deal? Hope I'm wrong and he signs the deal.

Jets covering their bases by bringing back Bowles for 2nd interview and expanding field to include Sean McDermott. Good business. #nyj

Actually, Atlanta will need to install a new offense. Koetter left. 

Why wouldn't they keep interviewing people?  With the GM in place, I'd interview as many people as I can while Quinn is untouchable.  You never know, you might find someone who you end up liking more than Quinn.  Plus, in the event that Quinn does go somewhere else, you should have contingency plans in place.  

Sitting still and doing nothing would be the stupid move.  

Why wouldn't they?  With the GM in place, I'd interview as many people as I can.  You never know, you might find someone who you end up liking more than Quinn.  Plus, in the event that Quinn does go somewhere else, you should have contingency plans in place.  

Sitting still and doing nothing would be the stupid move.  

Always have alternatives to choose from until you have a done deal. Maybe they would like two guys equally so not getting Quinn they get get someone else that impressed them

I hate how people get on Woody Johnson. The Jets have gone to the playoffs 6 times under his watch. More than in any other era in their history

Why do you think Belecheat did not want to stay here after meeting the new owner? Why does any top GM not want to interview here. PSL and money are more important then winning to our silver spoon in the mouth meddlesome owner.

Why do you think Belecheat did not want to stay here after meeting the new owner? Why does any top GM not want to interview here. PSL and money are more important then winning to our silver spoon in the mouth meddlesome owner.

He is not meddlesome. Jerry Jones is meddlesome. Woody has some say, but not at that level.

Bowles could be a good hire.  They should wait for Quinn but in the meantime they need to make sure they cover their asses.  SF is sitting very quiet and now we finally see Atlanta make a move for a 2nd interview.  Just as many of us were shocked to see Rex going to Buffalo in a snap of a finger, the Jets have to make sure they have a plan in place if they don't get the guy they want.  

He is not meddlesome. Jerry Jones is meddlesome. Woody has some say, but not at that level.

I respectfully disagree ...

I think he's involved a lot more than is publicly known.  JJ is out there an unabashedly making the calls....

It seems to me, Woody makes too many football decisions for PR reasons - and that is what's most concerning about him, to me.

Who do you think was instrumental in getting Favre to the Jets to sell PSL'S in his new stadium. Or push to draft Sanchez. Or get Tebow

Get Tebow I will give you a little bit, despite Tanny completely taking the blame himself.

Jets had no other choice but Sanchez. Kellen Clemens was a bust and that drafts QBs were awful (Josh Freeman, Pat White)

Now Favre. The new stadium wasn't even built yet. Why Would Woody sign an old QB JUST to get PSLs for a building that wasn't even completed yet?

Archived