Integrity and Spirit of the Game

SouthernJet

C'mon mate you are better than that. If Rodgers wants his footballs inflated to 13.75 then he is a CHEATER according to your logic. Underinflated balls=bad. Overinflated balls=OK?

The NFL rules state that the footballs need to be 12.5 and 13.5 PSI.

statistically less than 2% is not significant and he is also putting his Rb's and wr's at a disadvantage, theres the rub

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C'mon mate you are better than that. If Rodgers wants his footballs inflated to 13.75 then he is a CHEATER according to your logic. Underinflated balls=bad. Overinflated balls=OK?

The NFL rules state that the footballs need to be 12.5 and 13.5 PSI.

and also Im not aware of any Packers balls failing specs so there is that

I feel the opposite, the in eligible receiver thing was way worse than spygate and deflating footballs.

It actually changed the outcome of the game. That rule will be changed in the offseason, he got away with it because the refs were confused.

Absolutely and I hope the NFL keeps that in mind when they consider penalizing BB for his latest stain on the PATS legacy.

Overinflated ball is not an advantage to either Wr's or RB's carrying ball, Underinflated is an advantage for sure

Now IF Rodgers had ball at 13.75  instead of 13.5  less than a 2% difference, meanwhile tommy is using a deflated ball which is

16% lower that minimum or 22% from suggested 13.5 ....huge difference, Rodgers I would say no difference

That guy disagrees with your statement.

So you are saying it is okay to cheat if it is an arbirtrarily selected number you picked out your ass for Rodgers. 

Here is a little quote Simms attributed to Rodgers, "I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it." 

Not only does this say he knowingly breaks the rule, he suggests the referees inspection might not be as thourough as Walt Andersons was reported to be.

I feel the opposite, the in eligible receiver thing was way worse than spygate and deflating footballs.

It actually changed the outcome of the game. That rule will be changed in the offseason, he got away with it because the refs were confused.

The Pats used a legal formation. LEGAL FORMATION.

The Pats use a ball without enough air in it and they have cheated, cheated and then cheated again.

That guy disagrees with your statement.

So you are saying it is okay to cheat if it is an arbirtrarily selected number you picked out your ass for Rodgers. 

Here is a little quote Simms attributed to Rodgers, "I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it." 

Not only does this say he knowingly breaks the rule, he suggests the referees inspection might not be as thourough as Walt Andersons was reported to be.

explain to me how an over inflated balls aids the Packers wr's and rbs, and especially in awful weather..... seems to me this gives

advantage to opposing team....waiting

The Pats used a legal formation. LEGAL FORMATION.

The Pats use a ball without enough air in it and they have cheated, cheated and then cheated again.

the legal formation was pushing spirit of rule, it was not designed to use on every play and to use a RB lined up as a WR and make him ineligible, this will end up with a rule change..thanks to BB

explain to me how an over inflated balls aids the Packers wr's and rbs, and especially in awful weather..... seems to me this gives

advantage to opposing team....waiting

From his mouth, "Rodgers said he likes the ball to be inflated because of his strong grip pressure and large hand size but doesn't believe that's the norm."

AN over inflated gives him a better grip on the football.  That allows him to drive the ball better.

From his mouth, "Rodgers said he likes the ball to be inflated because of his strong grip pressure and large hand size but doesn't believe that's the norm."

AN over inflated gives him a better grip on the football.  That allows him to drive the ball better.

and how does this help his WR's and RB's, who wants to catch a hard slick ball in the rain, in the wind, or in 90 degree heat?

and have the Packers balls failed?

and how does this help his WR's and RB's, who wants to catch a hard slick ball in the rain, in the wind, or in 90 degree heat?

and have the Packers balls failed?

The QB can deliver the ball better.  Therefore they have a better chance at catching it.

https://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/nfl/best-cold-weather-quarterbacks#.VMGtJC7QP00

Here are somw winter numbers for you.  Aaron and Tom for that matter look pretty good when playing in tempratures below 40.

The QB can deliver the ball better.  Therefore they have a better chance at catching it.

https://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/nfl/best-cold-weather-quarterbacks#.VMGtJC7QP00

Here are somw winter numbers for you.  Aaron and Tom for that matter look pretty good when playing in tempratures below 40.

Did you pass science in HS? Would you rather catch a hard ball or a NERF? THAT'S the EFFECT we are talking about. Obviously NERF is an extreme example. But the analogy is correct. 

I dunno, I mean...deflated balls, a little creative videography, a perfectly legal tackle-eligible play here and there...these are professionals.  They still have to play the games, right?  I think someone's being a bit oversensitive...

(ducks and runs while being pelted with pantyhose full of nondescript fluid)

I have no problem with that. Aaron Rodgers likes an overinflated ball, his preference as stated by him.

Each team has their own footballs in the NFL. That is something I will never understand. In every other code of football I follow, Aussie Rules, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Soccer. Both teams use the same ball(s).

The NFL is freaking weird.

But I dont recall Rodgers saying he overinflated them after getting from refs... I recall him saying he takes the hardest ones..Link?

Rule 17

Section 2  - Extraordinarily Unfair Acts

COMMISSIONER AUTHORITY

Article 1

The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which he deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.

PENALTIES FOR UNFAIR ACTS

Article 3

The Commissioner’s powers include the imposition of monetary fines and draft-choice forfeituressuspension of persons involved in unfair acts, and, if appropriate, the reversal of a game’s result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred. In the event of rescheduling a game, the Commissioner will be guided by the procedures specified in Rule 17, Section 1, Articles 5 through 11, above. In all cases, the Commissioner will conduct a full investigation, including the opportunity for hearings, use of game videotape, and any other procedure he deems appropriate

Here is the link to what you were talking about..

Even the players were shocked about how much the deflation impacted the football 

Watch:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12205404&categoryid=5595394

Anyone who hasn't watched this yet should...

Just watch when Bettis squeezes the ball and look how much more he can squeeze the ball than the legal one...It's clearly a HUGE advantage, this is not a situation where it's only a little difference...In the NFL a lot of games are determined by a play or two - this could very well be the difference between a 9 and 12 win season...If they've really been doing this for years this entire legacy is very tainted....

Thank you!!

I have been a Jets fan since 1969 and I don't want to see my team cheating to WIN!!!!

I am beginning to dislike the game I have loved for over 4 Decades!!! And it is making me sick...

this is what is happening, HAS been happening with almost ALL of the old-time football fans that I know. We are losing interest because just like what happened with MLB, we are losing trust in the integrity of the game. I truly believe that Roger Goodell being in the pocket of people like Robert Kraft's pocket while treating 3/4 of the other teams and owners like second class citizens.

For me my interest in baseball started to wane after all the steroid stuff started coming out and my love of pro football (the last game that I still cared about) can be pinpointed right back to spygate and how it was treated by the league. Then you see other teams and players paying big prices for things 10 times less severe. I'm sick of what has happened to the game. 

The calls have gotten so blatantly bad too, like the 1st down awarded to the Pats when it was clearly a stop and then I never thought I'd ever see a defensive player being penalized for excessive force being charged on a hit ON A RUNNINGBACK. 

As for me my roundheaded friend I just say Good Grief!! and vow to boycott the game

Did you pass science in HS? Would you rather catch a hard ball or a NERF? THAT'S the EFFECT we are talking about. Obviously NERF is an extreme example. But the analogy is correct. 

Catch?..yes choose a nerf.

In a storm would you rather throw a nerf or hard football?  Even A-a-Ron would not be able to drive nerf ball through a snow storm.

Catch?..yes choose a nerf.

In a storm would you rather throw a nerf or hard football? Even A-a-Ron would not be able to drive nerf ball through a snow storm.

Marty Hurney slams Cheats

There are people who swear to me that the Patriots taped our practice down in Houston during Super Bowl week," Hurney said. "I can't prove it. I don't know. And I hate talking like this because I feel like a bad loser, but it just gnaws at you and this latest incident brings it back up.

I like you SJ but please don't state that the Pats taped the Rams walk-thru. Never happened. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2008/05/apology

Did the Pats have a guy on the sidelines with a camera filming the Jets defensive signals in Week 1, 2007? They sure did and Mangini told the NFL about it (Good for him BTW). That's called gamesmanship.

Did Tom Brady throw and hand-off footballs below the 12.5 PSI threshold last week. He sure did.

What annoys me about this entire thing is that the NFL hasn't even talked to Brady yet. That is ridiculous.

That's the thing about it Gainzo. You don't get to say the Pats didn't do this or they didn't do that. The benefit of the doubt is over. The are repeat cheaters and there's no reason to think it started and ended with the times they got caught. Belichick and Brady destroyed their own legacy. In the end, they'll prove to be a bigger joke than even our Jets. Too bad for them, really.

Anyone who hasn't watched this yet should...

Just watch when Bettis squeezes the ball and look how much more he can squeeze the ball than the legal one...It's clearly a HUGE advantage, this is not a situation where it's only a little difference...In the NFL a lot of games are determined by a play or two - this could very well be the difference between a 9 and 12 win season...If they've really been doing this for years this entire legacy is very tainted....

This is the very thing the NFL knows is true and is so afraid that others will discover as well!!!!

Hey Charlie, you might want to give Lucy a call and tell her to bring a ladder so you can come down off your high horse.

Sorry my friend that dog wont hunt. 

I remember when Vinnie's helmet scored a phantom TD and I was all over it saying (yahoo group then) saying it was a disgrace and the favoritism my team received because Parcells was the then HC was unwarranted.  The Seahawks HC lost his job at the end of the season and instant replay was soon thereafter implemented.

So no I am not one of those fans who say "yeah the referees may have been paid off but we won!!"

I would say the same thing if the Jets were in the business of rigging games you can bet your last dollar on that one for sure...

That's the thing about it Gainzo. You don't get to say the Pats didn't do this or they didn't do that. The benefit of the doubt is over. The are repeat cheaters and there's no reason to think it started and ended with the times they got caught. Belichick and Brady destroyed their own legacy. In the end, they'll prove to be a bigger joke than even our Jets. Too bad for them, really.

The NFL needs to prove the Pats did something wrong. When I wrote: "Did Tom Brady throw and hand-off footballs below the 12.5 PSI threshold last week?". He sure did!

I have no idea what is going on with #ballghazi

this is what is happening, HAS been happening with almost ALL of the old-time football fans that I know. We are losing interest because just like what happened with MLB, we are losing trust in the integrity of the game. I truly believe that Roger Goodell being in the pocket of people like Robert Kraft's pocket while treating 3/4 of the other teams and owners like second class citizens.

For me my interest in baseball started to wane after all the steroid stuff started coming out and my love of pro football (the last game that I still cared about) can be pinpointed right back to spygate and how it was treated by the league. Then you see other teams and players paying big prices for things 10 times less severe. I'm sick of what has happened to the game. 

The calls have gotten so blatantly bad too, like the 1st down awarded to the Pats when it was clearly a stop and then I never thought I'd ever see a defensive player being penalized for excessive force being charged on a hit ON A RUNNINGBACK. 

As for me my roundheaded friend I just say Good Grief!! and vow to boycott the game

I agree with this post..

And folks keep saying it all doesn't matter and it does at least to me it does. 

As I said in the other posts the NFL isn't fixed per se but it is now beyond contestation that some teams and players are favored more than others.....

The central issue is why are we paying good funds to support an NFL team when we aren't the favored ones and if we were would it really mean anything if we won under such a system?

The NFL needs to prove the Pats did something wrong. When I wrote: "Did Tom Brady throw and hand-off footballs below the 12.5 PSI threshold last week?". He sure did!

I have no idea what is going on with #ballghazi

It's tainted.... It's that simple.

TAINTED PATS.... Like Arod. the public predominantly believes the PATS cheated.

When a team cannot beat a team man on man and have to resort to subterfuge such as Spygate, faking injury reports, illegal substitutions, deflated footballs to reduce fumbles,  it is time to kick the franchise out of the league. I didn't even mention the alleged radio jamming and taping walkthrus.

Pats are a down right  pimple on the NFL's arse. Always the same team trying to push the Integrity envelope.

When a team cannot beat a team man on man and have to resort to subterfuge such as Spygate, faking injury reports, illegal substitutions, deflated footballs to reduce fumbles,  it is time to kick the franchise out of the league. I didn't even mention the alleged radio jamming and taping walkthrus.

Pats are a down right  pimple on the NFL's arse. Always the same team trying to push the Integrity envelope.

here's another old schooler, getting to the point that a whole lot of us guys who watched Namath play, getting fed up with what is happening to the game we once loved. To watch the Patriots treated above and WAY beyond the way that every other team is being treated is killing this game.  Roger Goodell must be replaced-the Super Bowl must be boycotted

We have been shown that this TD should not have counted. Does the NFL not have a rule against Group celebrations ? 

This team is allowed to break every single rule the league has . How can the officials be involved in this conspiracy. I wonder if the same officiating crew has been involved in all the Pats .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZMXCj33zkY

Archived