F*cking Bevell

sourceworx

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody find a current or former player who liked this call yet? There's gonna' have to be one at some point because there always is. I think Warren Moon said it was a good call, but we should probably take the comments of any Seahawks employees with a grain of salt.

Earlier in the thread I was listing all of the current/former players and coaches who called it anything from "terrible" to "the worst call in history" but I just couldn't keep up with all of them.

Bill Belichick. But keep holding on to that Emmitt Smith quote. Dude is a gifted analyst.

That's what I was basing it on, not the outcome but the strategy.  If I have Lynch and two or three shots to pick up a yard against a winded defense, I run it every single time to let him get the 36''.  Play design was fine, I had no issues with that.  Issue was that the best designed pass play in the history of the  NFL should not have been used in that situation.  To each his own, but I'd go with the 50 or so pros who have said pretty much the same thing.  Golic was the first person I heard "defending" the play based on, as you said, the design.  He said it was well designed and if everybody does their job they win the game.  However, he followed that up with "That being said, if it's me I'm giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch".

I don't read comic books so I got nothin' on that.

Fallacy in your series of thinking---

IF the Seahawks run on 2nd down, and DO NOT make it, then they are forced to use their final timeout. If they are forced to use their final timeout, that almost guarantees that they will pass the next 2 downs.

IF the pass is just incomplete on 2nd down (we now obviously know that is not the case), then the Seahawks can run on 3rd and 4th down, if needed.

It is not as cut and dry as you lay it out. Which would you rather, be able to run Beast once, or twice?

IF the Seahawks run on 2nd down, and DO NOT make it, then they are forced to use their final timeout. If they are forced to use their final timeout, that almost guarantees that they will pass the next 2 downs.

IF the pass is just incomplete on 2nd down (we now obviously know that is not the case), then the Seahawks can run on 3rd and 4th down, if needed.

It is not as cut and dry as you lay it out

Right

Right

I added a late edit-Which would you rather, be able to run beast once, or twice in that situation? Passing on 2nd down, gave them that option.

Again, I am not sure I would have called it in that series, but I can understand the strategy. It does have some sound principal.

The result was just cataclysmic. 

It is not as cut and dry as you lay it out. Which would you rather, be able to run Beast once, or twice?

Running on 2nd down only forces them to pass on 3rd down.  4th down, you do whatever.  There is no time constraint. The only thing passing on 2nd accomplishes is to keep alive the run/pass option for 3rd down.

Running on 2nd down only forces them to pass on 3rd down. 4th down, you do whatever. There is no time constraint. The only thing passing on 2nd accomplishes is to keep alive the run/pass option for 3rd down.

imo Running in second down doesn't force you to do anything .. Call 2 plays, run, hurry to line, run again, timeout

I added a late edit-Which would you rather, be able to run beast once, or twice in that situation? Passing on 2nd down, gave them that option.

Again, I am not sure I would have called it in that series, but I can understand the strategy. It does have some sound principal.

The result was just cataclysmic. 

Before personnel changes started, I thought the game was over.  Lynch had just barreled for five yards from the six yard line.  NE was tired and Lynch has built his reputation as a guy who makes big plays late in games by taking advantage of spent defenses. I, and apparently most of the NFL, felt he would have gotten in on the first shot, if not the second.  We'll never know, because Carroll let Bevell get cute.  Again, this is more on Carroll than Bevell as he's the head coach and could have overruled him. 

When the play happened, I thought I'd entered an alternate universe.  When I heard the broadcaster scream "interception", I automatically said, "that's ridiculous, they'd have to throw the ball for it to get intercepted, but why does it look like that's what they did'?  Once the reality set in, I said to myself "that's the worst call I've ever seen in  my life".

The next fifteen to twenty  minutes was spent staring at a TV screen in disbelief, while the NFL network essentially had a scroll of NFL players, current and former, referring to it as a horrible call, with some calling it the worst call in SB history.

Clay Matthews, John Taylor, Steve Young, Emmitt Smith, Sheldon Richardson, Deangelo Williams, Gerald  McCoy, Arian Foster, Joe Staley, Ryan Grant, Jamell Fleming, Golden Tate, Deion Sanders, Chris Collinsworth, CJ Spiller, Chris Harris, Captain Munnerlyn, Chris Long, Vontae Davis, Andre Reed, Joel Dreesen, Robert Mathis, Brian Dawkins, Ryan Longwell, Pat McAfee, Byron Chamberlain, Torry Holt, Jonathan Stewart...to name a few.

NFL network guys didn't name names, but they said that as they walked through the Seahawks locker room, several current players who were on the field could be seen shaking their heads and asking one another why they went with that call instead of giving it to Lynch.

That was enough for me to realize I hadn't over-reacted in saying it was the worst call in NFL history, and pardon me of I'm not swayed by Seahawks employees, or the HC who got a ring because of the call saying it was a swell idea.

Before personnel changes started, I thought the game was over.  Lynch had just barreled for five yards from the six yard line.  NE was tired and Lynch has built his reputation as a guy who makes big plays late in games by taking advantage of spent defenses. I, and apparently most of the NFL, felt he would have gotten in on the first shot, if not the second.  We'll never know, because Carroll let Bevell get cute.  Again, this is more on Carroll than Bevell as he's the head coach and could have overruled him. 

When the play happened, I thought I'd entered an alternate universe.  When I heard the broadcaster scream "interception", I automatically said, "that's ridiculous, they'd have to throw the ball for it to get intercepted, but why does it look like that's what they did'?  Once the reality set in, I said to myself "that's the worst call I've ever seen in  my life".

The next fifteen to twenty  minutes was spent staring at a TV screen in disbelief, while the NFL network essentially had a scroll of NFL players, current and former, referring to it as a horrible call, with some calling it the worst call in SB history.

Clay Matthews, John Taylor, Steve Young, Emmitt Smith, Sheldon Richardson, Deangelo Williams, Gerald  McCoy, Arian Foster, Joe Staley, Ryan Grant, Jamell Fleming, Golden Tate, Deion Sanders, Chris Collinsworth, CJ Spiller, Chris Harris, Captain Munnerlyn, Chris Long, Vontae Davis, Andre Reed, Joel Dreesen, Robert Mathis, Brian Dawkins, Ryan Longwell, Pat McAfee, Byron Chamberlain, Torry Holt, Jonathan Stewart...to name a few.

NFL network guys didn't name names, but they said that as they walked through the Seahawks locker room, several current players who were on the field could be seen shaking their heads and asking one another why they went with that call instead of giving it to Lynch.

That was enough for me to realize I hadn't over-reacted in saying it was the worst call in NFL history, and pardon me of I'm not swayed by Seahawks employees, or the HC who got a ring because of the call saying it was a swell idea.

Just because a majority of people may think something, does not make it right. 

Again, personally I would have run on 2nd down, but I can understand the call as well. There are no guarantees in sport. We don't have the luxury of Peabody's "way back" machine and get to play it over.

The results of the play scream "bad call", but I understand the strategy of it too. 

Just because a majority of people may think something, does not make it right. 

Again, personally I would have run on 2nd down, but I can understand the call as well. There are no guarantees in sport. We don't have the luxury of Peabody's "way back" machine and get to play it over.

The results of the play scream "bad call", but I understand the strategy of it too. 

It may not make it right, but if I'm an observer with an opinion on any topic and 99% of experts in that field were telling me I was wrong, with the 1% having a vested interest in agreeing with my point of view, I'd probably reconsider my position based on the first hand knowledge of the experts as opposed to my observations from afar.

I'm just surprised there haven't been some big  name players who have come out to object to that 99% just to get some air time and stir up more debate.

It may not make it right, but if I'm an observer with an opinion on any topic and 99% of experts in that field were telling me I was wrong, with the 1% having a vested interest in agreeing with my point of view, I'd probably reconsider my position based on the first hand knowledge of the experts as opposed to my observations from afar.

I'm just surprised there haven't been some big  name players who have come out to object to that 99% just to get some air time and stir up more debate.

It is this kind of lemming mentality that is crushing the United States ;)

I would argue that narcissism and ignorance is doing the same thing. Everybody's an expert. 

I am sure you agree that opinions are a good thing. It is when we stack others that agree with opinions that we share, and then claim that to be the right opinion, when we can start to get in trouble.

Glenn, we are long past this play, which I bess is the fun of sport.

It may not make it right, but if I'm an observer with an opinion on any topic and 99% of experts in that field were telling me I was wrong, with the 1% having a vested interest in agreeing with my point of view, I'd probably reconsider my position based on the first hand knowledge of the experts as opposed to my observations from afar.

I'm just surprised there haven't been some big name players who have come out to object to that 99% just to get some air time and stir up more debate.

Considering that 99% of the people who think it was a bad call are the types who try putting lightbulbs in with a hammer, it's a safe bet to disagree with them.

I am sure you agree that opinions are a good thing. It is when we stack others that agree with opinions that we share, and then claim that to be the right opinion, when we can start to get in trouble.

Glenn, we are long past this play, which I bess is the fun of sport.

That's why I worded my other comment the way I did.  When I said to myself that it was "the worst call" I'd ever seen, I didn't do any stacking.  It was done for me by just watching coverage of it.  Every single opinion I saw was agreeing that it was a terrible call.  That's when I realized it wasn't any internal Patriot hating bias that made me think that way, but that it was in fact one of the worst calls in history.  No point in going round and round on it, but if I were saying it wasn't a terrible call, I would honestly wonder what the hell I was seeing that a boatload of hall of famers and current players weren't.

GO JETS!

Considering that 99% of the people who think it was a bad call are the types who try putting lightbulbs in with a hammer, it's a safe bet to disagree with them.

Aint that the truth...if there's one thing NFL football players don't know anything about, it's NFL football.  Thank god we're here to tell them what's up.

Saying that NFL players are experts in play calling is akin to saying that message board posters are experts in moderating message boards, huh?

No offense, but if I  had to choose between anyone on here (myself included) or somebody who has been in an NFL  huddle and/or inducted into Canton, I'm gonna' go ahead and take my chances with them.

No offense, but if I  had to choose between anyone on here (myself included) or somebody who has been in an NFL  huddle and/or inducted into Canton, I'm gonna' go ahead and take my chances with them.

NO way bro, on this very site we have some of the greatest tactical and strategic NFL minds who ever lived. Soak up as much of thier knowledge as possible, it's only a matter of time before they all have GM and/or HC jobs

Maybe this is where we can look back and say that God finally let the Jets out of purgatory when Idzik didn't go .500 and stick around to hire Darrell Bevell in 2015?????

And maybe stop idolizing Pete Carrol (and Russell Wilson) like the Savior that got away 

NO way bro, on this very site we have some of the greatest tactical and strategic NFL minds who ever lived. Soak up as much of thier knowledge as possible, it's only a matter of time before they all have GM and/or HC jobs

As crazy as it may sound, I honestly believe there are some people who have never played beyond Pop Warner or HS that feel like they could legitimately build a competitive NFL roster and call plays on offense and defense.

As crazy as it may sound, I honestly believe there are some people who have never played beyond Pop Warner or HS that feel like they could legitimately build a competitive NFL roster and call plays on offense and defense.

I was a minor league player, so many of you can't even pretend to know what I know.

Archived